Start by marking “My Big Mouth: 10 Songs I Wrote That Almost Got Me Killed” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A hilarious illustrated novel by Peter Hannan -- writer, artist, & producer.

Davis Delaware is not from Delaware. But try telling that to everyone at his new school. When you move in the middle of ninth grade, people are going to think whatever they want about you. If they pay attention at all.

Blending in is fine with Davis. He just wants to doodle in his notebook. Make
Published July 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about My Big Mouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Big Mouth

David Williams
** Spoiler Alert ** Have you ever liked a girl and her boy friend was the biggest bully in the whole school, well Davis has and i'm going to tell you what he went threw.The Genre of the book is realistic fiction because this can occur and if you don't believe me then read my review. I think this but is very funny for any middle school student because some student can relate. This book has a lot of twists that will be explained later.

This book is about a boy named Davis Delaware and no he's not
Lorraine
This book may be about a big mouth, but it clearly has an even bigger heart. But don't let that discourage middle schoolers from reading this....it is very, very funny! Peter Hannan brings his talents as a cartoonist and lyricist together to create a well realized snapshot of one boy's agony and ecstasy while navigating a new town and new school. Read the book and have a laugh.
Joshua
This should I agree have been set in middle school as it feels like the kids are 7th-8th grade... It's fun though... Did not at all like the ending, though I will say it was not predictable...

Song "full of bleep" among other things probably makes it a hs book for some...
Steven B
This book is funny, fun, and cool. If you've ever played an instrument, wrote a song, tried to write a song, tried to start a band, heard a song, or fallen in love with that girl in school who will haunt your life forever read this.
Hanna Morgan
This book was terrible. Words cannot express how irritatingly stupid and random it was. The plot and characters were all over the place.
Parker Hansen
Loved it. Really funny and emotionally satisfying. Loved the characters, the drawings, and the writing. I highly recommend it.
Ms. Yingling
Davis Delaware and his father move to a new community after the death of Davis' mother. His new high school is home to boring teachers and catatonic students, but also a bully (Gerald, aka "the butcher"), a talkative but friendly Dweeb (Edwin), and a cute girl who wants to start a rock band (Molly). Edwin and Molly start the Amazing Dweebs band, practicing at Edwin's father's barbershop in preparation for the Rock Around the Dock battle of the bands. All the while Davis is joining the poetry clu ...more
Barbara
Ninth grader Davis Delaware moves to a new school in the middle of the year. Still recovering from the death of his mother, he isn't particularly thrilled with the move, but at least it will give him a chance to leave behind his reputation as a wuss and the boy who peed on a girl while going down a playground slide. This incident prompted classmates to post "Urine Trouble" signs on his back. Inexplicably, he starts a band--the Amazing Dweebs--with Molly, the coolest girl in school, and Edwin, th ...more
Rachael P.
Peter Hannan
Realistic Fiction
240 pages
9/17/12

My Big Mouth: 10 Songs I Wrote That Almost Got Me Killed is about a boy named Davis Delaware. He is going into the 9th grade and he just moved to a new school. He plays the guitar and sadly his mom dies 2 years before. Davis is just like every kid he has a huge crush on the most popular girl in the school that doesn't know he exists. He has no friends except this boy named Edwin. All Davis does i
Bailey
My Big Mouth
Imagine being the new kid at school. Your mom has just died, and you’ve moved to a new city. You have no friends, a dad that doesn’t understand you, a crush on the most beautiful girl in school, and are the target of a menacing bully. This is what it is like for Davis Delaware-who is not from Delaware- in My Big Mouth. This book was written by Peter Hannan and published in 2011 by Scholastic Press in New York. It is realistic fiction and has 235 pages. Hannan creates an interesting
Trisha
I'm a little torn with this book.

I liked the pictures, even though they were pretty juvenile. Most of them were silly and tied in well with the story.
And the story was cute - a kind of love story, kind of down-on-his luck kind of kid - Dweebs trying to rise above all the torture & bullying of school and be so uncool they are cool..

But, I'm torn because....I can't tell who the target audience for this book is. It was pretty juvenile silly stories, but there was swearing (just a little, but it
Krys (Black & Write Reviews)
Via Black 'n Write Review
My final thoughts:
This is a really quick read! It reminded me frequently of Diary of Wimpy Kid with its random doodlings, funky names and just overall randomness. The story is super simple about teen romance, heartbreak, trials and troubles. Davis is your typical teenager. Defiant, rebellious, trying to be seen with making one. He’s a love-sick puppy for a girl who loves to play mind games and he apparently “kisses like a fish”.

The characters are nicely developed and lik
Nancy Sebert
This YA book is interesting because it is similar to the text and graphics of a Diary of a Wimpy Kid style, but the main character is a freshman, new to town, likes to doodle, make flip books, and write songs that are somewhat poetic, all of which is included in the telling of the story. I liked the book most of the way, because his angst about liking a girl, forming a band, and coping with a new school after his mom's death, and a school bully were believable. Then it became too silly, with his ...more
Angie
A happy medium between Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Davis is the new kid at school and going through a major life change after losing his mother. His refuge is drawing and writing songs for his band "The Amazing Dweebs." Everything that can go wrong for him does and he still manages to keep his sense of humor. I was thinking that this book was going to go where a million other coming-of-age books have gone before, but I was surprised and delighted at ...more
Anne
Good read-alike for Wimpy Kid followers with lots of clever drawings, but a step up as far as reading level and content goes.

Davis has moved to a new town and a new school. He sees this as the perfect opportunity to create a new image and make new friends. He overhears a conversation between a cute girl and another guy about starting a band, so he pushes past his shyness and approaches them about it. The 3 of them do start a band and things start to happen, especially things involving the school
Sabrina
it was a really funny and I tottaly didn't see the end coming
Kat

A really cute/funny book that sort of reminded me of Swim the Fly Swim the Fly and seemed like the big brother of Diary of a Wimpy Kid too.

It was a cute story - boy in grade 9 starts a new school and falls for a girl. He starts a band to win her over, of course and hilarity ensues.

Recommended to middle school boys, though I think girls will like it too - I did!
Colette
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Entertaining, but not needed; is the phrase that best describes this book. It reminded me of the series Dork Diaries in a boys perspective. It said that this story was good for middle schoolers, but I would say that 4-6 graders would enjoy it a lot more. I recently lent this book to a middle-schooler who seemed to really enjoy it, so I am adding an extra star.
Courtney
At the beginning of this book, I wasn't really getting into it. But then the characters started establishing themselves and that relationship that happens between dedicated readers and a book's characters started to form. By the end of the book, I knew well each major character and could picture every thought and action made by them. A great simple read for a "don't-take-yourself-so-serious" reader with a few hours to spare.
Maggie
My favorite part was his realization at the end that, "When something bad happens, people always say that someday you'll look back at it and laugh. All of a sudden, someday was here. We were both laughing, and that terrible shared memory no only seemed funny, it almost seemed good."

The format seems to be borrowing from the wimpy kid format.

Middle schoolers will probably find the book hilarious.
Janet
Students who liked Diary of A Wimpy Kid might appreciate this book. It is about a ninth grade boy who struggles with his mother's death, a new school, girls, bullies, and trying to create a new reputation for himself. It is comically written and middle grade students will enjoy the illustrations and wit of Davis Delaware.
orangerful
This is a really quick read and perfect for that Wimpy Kid fan who has moved into the perilous world of high school. Davis Delaware is a very realistic and likeable character. The book is a very quick read, lots of doodles drawn on the pages to make it feel like a journal (the author used to work for Nickelodeon).

Darcy
This book is entertaining and funny and perfect for upper middle grade readers. My son is not an avid reader much to my dismay but when he saw this book in the store he requested I buy it for him. He read it from cover to cover and is now asking for more from this same author! Thank you Peter Hannan!
B
This book had potential and a great start with good humor, new kid in school with a bully on him story, cute girl, etc. but it got kind of lame. I'll still recommend it to eager boy readers because I think boys could identify with this likable kid and the situations he ends up in.
Jnase1
Not bad for a "boy"book. I especially appreciated that the action picked up at the end. Some kissing scenes, but mild enough for fifth graders to read. Reluctant readers will appreciate the drawing and "notebook fiction" feel of the songs Davis writes.
Gina
I won this. I am definitely giving this book to my nephew..He could definitely relate to this...I think as far as a middle school aged book is concerned this is right on. It was light and funny. And why not as told in the eyes of a middle schooler.
Sonja
Engaging and funny - Davis Delaware (who is not from Delaware) has a unique approach to being the new kid in 9th grade that involves unexpected poetry, a barbershop band, and fighting the biggest bully in the school for the heart of a fair lady.
Kim Straub
This is a "laugh-out-loud" read for 8th and 9th graders. This could be the "Wimpy Kid Diary" book for the older adolescents. It was a quick and enjoyable read. I loved the illustrations. Even the one book review of it was funny.
Maria
It had it's good moments, but it doesn't feel like it came from someone with a child's heart. It reads more like an adult remembering being bullied, and trying to write about it from a teen's perspective.
Kris
Great realistic fiction for middle schoolers, especially boys. Lots of doodles but more text than the Wimpy Kid books. Love the song-writing, playing-in-a-band aspect. Good, fast read.
  • 12 Things to Do Before You Crash and Burn
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • The Big Splash
  • 24 Hours
  • War and Watermelon
  • Burning City
  • The Defense of Thaddeus A. Ledbetter
  • The Accidental Genius of Weasel High
  • The Resisters (The Resisters, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Box Set (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, # 1-4)
  • Tortilla Sun
  • Carter's Big Break (Carter Finally Gets It, #2)
  • Freeze Frame
  • Promises to the Dead
  • Hide and Seek
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • The Namesake
  • Isaac Newton (Giants of Science, 2)
PETER HANNAN is a writer, producer, creator, author/illustrator, and artist. He is the creator and executive producer of the Nickelodeon animated series, CatDog. He wrote and sang the CatDog theme song, which he will sing for you even if you don’t technically ask him to. He has developed properties for numerous studios and is currently working on a variety of film,TV, game, and book projects., inc ...more
More about Peter Hannan...
The Greatest Snowman in the World! Petlandia Super Goofballs, Book 1: That Stinking Feeling Freddy! King of Flurb Super Goofballs, Book 2: Goofballs in Paradise