Start by marking “My Big Mouth: 10 Songs I Wrote That Almost Got Me Killed” as Want to Read:

My Big Mouth: 10 Songs I Wrote That Almost Got Me Killed

A hilarious illustrated novel by Peter Hannan -- writer, artist, & producer.

Davis Delaware is not from Delaware. But try telling that to everyone at his new school. When you move in the middle of ninth grade, people are going to think whatever they want about you. If they pay attention at all.

Blending in is fine with Davis. He just wants to doodle in his notebook. Make
Published July 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about My Big Mouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Big Mouth

Ethan Heo
Nov 07, 2016 Ethan Heo rated it liked it
My big mouth, well that explains it. The main character, Davis, creates a band. But the more popular you are, the more people think and notice you. Not all people who do are good. Gerald, a bully tries to-do what a bully does- and tries to ruin Davis as Davis is the most popular student. What I like about this book is that it shows how Davis deals with bullying. I also like how I saw how other students reacted to it. Overall this book was easy to relate to and I really liked the ending. I recomm ...more
Lorraine
Aug 30, 2011 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
This book may be about a big mouth, but it clearly has an even bigger heart. But don't let that discourage middle schoolers from reading this....it is very, very funny! Peter Hannan brings his talents as a cartoonist and lyricist together to create a well realized snapshot of one boy's agony and ecstasy while navigating a new town and new school. Read the book and have a laugh.
Josh Newhouse
Sep 24, 2011 Josh Newhouse rated it really liked it
This should I agree have been set in middle school as it feels like the kids are 7th-8th grade... It's fun though... Did not at all like the ending, though I will say it was not predictable...

Song "full of bleep" among other things probably makes it a hs book for some...
Steven B
Aug 21, 2011 Steven B rated it really liked it
This book is funny, fun, and cool. If you've ever played an instrument, wrote a song, tried to write a song, tried to start a band, heard a song, or fallen in love with that girl in school who will haunt your life forever read this.
Hanna Morgan
Oct 15, 2011 Hanna Morgan rated it did not like it
This book was terrible. Words cannot express how irritatingly stupid and random it was. The plot and characters were all over the place.
Parker Hansen
Aug 21, 2011 Parker Hansen rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Really funny and emotionally satisfying. Loved the characters, the drawings, and the writing. I highly recommend it.
David Williams
Dec 01, 2014 David Williams rated it it was amazing
** Spoiler Alert ** Have you ever liked a girl and her boy friend was the biggest bully in the whole school, well Davis has and i'm going to tell you what he went threw.The Genre of the book is realistic fiction because this can occur and if you don't believe me then read my review. I think this but is very funny for any middle school student because some student can relate. This book has a lot of twists that will be explained later.

This book is about a boy named Davis Delaware and no he's not
Bailey
Jan 30, 2012 Bailey rated it really liked it
My Big Mouth
Imagine being the new kid at school. Your mom has just died, and you’ve moved to a new city. You have no friends, a dad that doesn’t understand you, a crush on the most beautiful girl in school, and are the target of a menacing bully. This is what it is like for Davis Delaware-who is not from Delaware- in My Big Mouth. This book was written by Peter Hannan and published in 2011 by Scholastic Press in New York. It is realistic fiction and has 235 pages. Hannan creates an interesting
Rachael P.
Sep 06, 2012 Rachael P. rated it liked it
Peter Hannan
Realistic Fiction
240 pages
9/17/12

My Big Mouth: 10 Songs I Wrote That Almost Got Me Killed is about a boy named Davis Delaware. He is going into the 9th grade and he just moved to a new school. He plays the guitar and sadly his mom dies 2 years before. Davis is just like every kid he has a huge crush on the most popular girl in the school that doesn't know he exists. He has no friends except this boy named Edwin. All Davis does i
Ms. Yingling
Jun 15, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it it was ok
Davis Delaware and his father move to a new community after the death of Davis' mother. His new high school is home to boring teachers and catatonic students, but also a bully (Gerald, aka "the butcher"), a talkative but friendly Dweeb (Edwin), and a cute girl who wants to start a rock band (Molly). Edwin and Molly start the Amazing Dweebs band, practicing at Edwin's father's barbershop in preparation for the Rock Around the Dock battle of the bands. All the while Davis is joining the poetry clu ...more
Barbara
Jun 26, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Ninth grader Davis Delaware moves to a new school in the middle of the year. Still recovering from the death of his mother, he isn't particularly thrilled with the move, but at least it will give him a chance to leave behind his reputation as a wuss and the boy who peed on a girl while going down a playground slide. This incident prompted classmates to post "Urine Trouble" signs on his back. Inexplicably, he starts a band--the Amazing Dweebs--with Molly, the coolest girl in school, and Edwin, th ...more
Trisha
May 18, 2011 Trisha rated it it was ok
I'm a little torn with this book.

I liked the pictures, even though they were pretty juvenile. Most of them were silly and tied in well with the story.
And the story was cute - a kind of love story, kind of down-on-his luck kind of kid - Dweebs trying to rise above all the torture & bullying of school and be so uncool they are cool..

But, I'm torn because....I can't tell who the target audience for this book is. It was pretty juvenile silly stories, but there was swearing (just a little, but it
Krys (Black & Write Reviews)
Via Black 'n Write Review
My final thoughts:
This is a really quick read! It reminded me frequently of Diary of Wimpy Kid with its random doodlings, funky names and just overall randomness. The story is super simple about teen romance, heartbreak, trials and troubles. Davis is your typical teenager. Defiant, rebellious, trying to be seen with making one. He’s a love-sick puppy for a girl who loves to play mind games and he apparently “kisses like a fish”.

The characters are nicely developed and lik
Leeann Sheriff
Apr 19, 2016 Leeann Sheriff rated it liked it
Davis Delaware is from NJ. Trying to fit in to the new school. There has never been another band besides Gerald "The Butcher". Molly, Edwin and him form the Dweeds and enter into the contest at he docks where Davis will be tested with his talent.
Gerald is the mean bully in school and dating Molly. He clashes with Davis thinking that He is trying to take his girlfriend from him.
He writes poems and uses them for songs but also likes to draw pictures of people. Gerald and his crew get a hold of Da
Angie
Jun 26, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, graphic
A happy medium between Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Davis is the new kid at school and going through a major life change after losing his mother. His refuge is drawing and writing songs for his band "The Amazing Dweebs." Everything that can go wrong for him does and he still manages to keep his sense of humor. I was thinking that this book was going to go where a million other coming-of-age books have gone before, but I was surprised and delighted at ...more
Anne
Jan 18, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
Good read-alike for Wimpy Kid followers with lots of clever drawings, but a step up as far as reading level and content goes.

Davis has moved to a new town and a new school. He sees this as the perfect opportunity to create a new image and make new friends. He overhears a conversation between a cute girl and another guy about starting a band, so he pushes past his shyness and approaches them about it. The 3 of them do start a band and things start to happen, especially things involving the school
Nancy Sebert
Dec 19, 2011 Nancy Sebert rated it liked it
This YA book is interesting because it is similar to the text and graphics of a Diary of a Wimpy Kid style, but the main character is a freshman, new to town, likes to doodle, make flip books, and write songs that are somewhat poetic, all of which is included in the telling of the story. I liked the book most of the way, because his angst about liking a girl, forming a band, and coping with a new school after his mom's death, and a school bully were believable. Then it became too silly, with his ...more
Kat
Aug 21, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, ya, booktalked, 2011

A really cute/funny book that sort of reminded me of Swim the Fly Swim the Fly and seemed like the big brother of Diary of a Wimpy Kid too.

It was a cute story - boy in grade 9 starts a new school and falls for a girl. He starts a band to win her over, of course and hilarity ensues.

Recommended to middle school boys, though I think girls will like it too - I did!
Colette
May 18, 2011 Colette rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Entertaining, but not needed; is the phrase that best describes this book. It reminded me of the series Dork Diaries in a boys perspective. It said that this story was good for middle schoolers, but I would say that 4-6 graders would enjoy it a lot more. I recently lent this book to a middle-schooler who seemed to really enjoy it, so I am adding an extra star.
Maggie
Feb 08, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, ya-humor
My favorite part was his realization at the end that, "When something bad happens, people always say that someday you'll look back at it and laugh. All of a sudden, someday was here. We were both laughing, and that terrible shared memory no only seemed funny, it almost seemed good."

The format seems to be borrowing from the wimpy kid format.

Middle schoolers will probably find the book hilarious.
Courtney
May 18, 2011 Courtney rated it liked it
At the beginning of this book, I wasn't really getting into it. But then the characters started establishing themselves and that relationship that happens between dedicated readers and a book's characters started to form. By the end of the book, I knew well each major character and could picture every thought and action made by them. A great simple read for a "don't-take-yourself-so-serious" reader with a few hours to spare.
Janet
Jul 20, 2011 Janet rated it liked it
Students who liked Diary of A Wimpy Kid might appreciate this book. It is about a ninth grade boy who struggles with his mother's death, a new school, girls, bullies, and trying to create a new reputation for himself. It is comically written and middle grade students will enjoy the illustrations and wit of Davis Delaware.
orangerful
Jan 28, 2012 orangerful rated it really liked it
This is a really quick read and perfect for that Wimpy Kid fan who has moved into the perilous world of high school. Davis Delaware is a very realistic and likeable character. The book is a very quick read, lots of doodles drawn on the pages to make it feel like a journal (the author used to work for Nickelodeon).

Darcy
Aug 21, 2011 Darcy rated it it was amazing
This book is entertaining and funny and perfect for upper middle grade readers. My son is not an avid reader much to my dismay but when he saw this book in the store he requested I buy it for him. He read it from cover to cover and is now asking for more from this same author! Thank you Peter Hannan!
Maria
Jan 16, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok
It had it's good moments, but it doesn't feel like it came from someone with a child's heart. It reads more like an adult remembering being bullied, and trying to write about it from a teen's perspective.
Gina
Jul 03, 2011 Gina rated it liked it
I won this. I am definitely giving this book to my nephew..He could definitely relate to this...I think as far as a middle school aged book is concerned this is right on. It was light and funny. And why not as told in the eyes of a middle schooler.
Jnase1
Jan 23, 2013 Jnase1 rated it liked it
Not bad for a "boy"book. I especially appreciated that the action picked up at the end. Some kissing scenes, but mild enough for fifth graders to read. Reluctant readers will appreciate the drawing and "notebook fiction" feel of the songs Davis writes.
Sonja
Mar 08, 2012 Sonja rated it really liked it
Engaging and funny - Davis Delaware (who is not from Delaware) has a unique approach to being the new kid in 9th grade that involves unexpected poetry, a barbershop band, and fighting the biggest bully in the school for the heart of a fair lady.
Kim Straub
Sep 13, 2011 Kim Straub rated it liked it
This is a "laugh-out-loud" read for 8th and 9th graders. This could be the "Wimpy Kid Diary" book for the older adolescents. It was a quick and enjoyable read. I loved the illustrations. Even the one book review of it was funny.
B
Nov 25, 2011 B rated it liked it
Shelves: y-boy, y-humorous
This book had potential and a great start with good humor, new kid in school with a bully on him story, cute girl, etc. but it got kind of lame. I'll still recommend it to eager boy readers because I think boys could identify with this likable kid and the situations he ends up in.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 12 Things to Do Before You Crash and Burn
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • The Big Splash
  • Burning City
  • War and Watermelon
  • The Defense of Thaddeus A. Ledbetter
  • 24 Hours
  • Carter's Big Break (Carter Finally Gets It, #2)
  • The Resisters (The Resisters, #1)
  • Hide and Seek
  • Tortilla Sun
  • The Accidental Genius of Weasel High
  • Freeze Frame
  • The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Box Set (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, # 1-4)
  • The Three Pickled Herrings (Wings & Co, #2)
  • Promises to the Dead
  • Ignatius MacFarland: Frequenaut!
  • Cartboy and the Time Capsule
PETER HANNAN is a writer, producer, creator, author/illustrator, and artist. He is the creator and executive producer of the Nickelodeon animated series, CatDog. He wrote and sang the CatDog theme song, which he will sing for you even if you don’t technically ask him to. He has developed properties for numerous studios and is currently working on a variety of film,TV, game, and book projects., inc ...more
More about Peter Hannan...