Start by marking “Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona Quimby, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ramona Quimby, Age 8  (Ramona Quimby, #6)

Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona Quimby #6)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  60,354 Ratings  ·  1,136 Reviews
In this special reissue of Ramona Quimby, Age 8, the timeless classic now features a special foreword written by actress, producer, and author Amy Poehler, as well as an exclusive interview with Beverly Cleary herself.

Ramona likes that she’s old enough to be counted on, but must everything depend on her? Mrs. Quimby has gone back to work so that Mr. Quimby can return to sc
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona Quimby, Age 8, please sign up.

Duckpondwithoutducks She had the kind of fridge with egg holders. With them, you take the eggs out of the carton you bought them in, and place them in the small indents in…moreShe had the kind of fridge with egg holders. With them, you take the eggs out of the carton you bought them in, and place them in the small indents in the door. Mrs. Quimby had one row of fresh eggs, and one row of hard-boiled eggs. When she went to grab one in a hurry, she mixed up which row she took the egg from.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Charlotte I LOVE it, to. It's so interesting to look at a young girl with her wacky life.

Ahmad Sharabiani
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona Quimby #6), Beverly Cleary
عنوانها: رامونای هشت ساله؛ رامونای 8 ساله؛
عنوان: رامونای هشت ساله؛ نوشته: بورلی کلی یری؛ مترجم: پروین علیپور، نشر: افق، کتابهای فندق، 1381؛ در 143 ص؛ شابک: 9643690032؛ چاپ دوم 1382؛ چاپ ششم 1386؛ شابک: 9789643690038؛ چاپ هفتم 1387؛ چاپ یازدهم 1392، چاپ دوازدهم 1393؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی برای کودکان و نوجوانان - قرن 20 م
عنوان: رامونای هشت ساله؛ نوشته: بورلی کلی یری؛ مترجم: احمد کسایی پور،تهران، کتابهای هرمس، 1383؛ در 134 ص؛ شا
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: life movie stars
Recommended to Mariel by: don't even remember. Probably me 'cause I was cool
Ramona was my heroine. I just adored her. I read every book (published before I turned ten. I've not read the new ones) multiple times. I'd hide them under my desk and pretend that I wasn't reading. I pretended that I was sleeping, sometimes. That was probably worse, but kid me didn't really think of that. Y'see, I did all the wrong things just like Ramona.

Coolest things about Ramona from my memories (books may overlap) :
I loved how she'd pretend that a camera was on her at all times. Just in ca
Tina
May 12, 2009 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ones-reviewed
For my eighth birthday, a box arrived from my aunt in Los Angeles, and she had sent me this book. Every defining experience Ramona Quimby went through was mine, even though I was living a life totally different than hers. It's obvious that Ms. Cleary's straightforward language and writing talent will live on as long as reading exists. Several years ago, I myself gifted it to my husband's then eight year old little sister, and had the pleasure of seeing her running through the woods of their home ...more
snowplum
Jul 02, 2014 snowplum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to write a review in the spirit of participating in a discussion about whether this book is "dated" and what, if anything, that means for today's young readers.

(Though first let me get out of the way the fact that this IS unquestionably a delightful book, as is the whole Ramona series up to this point. Cleary is a brilliant writer who has crafted a young protagonist who honestly and often humorously depicts the kind of excitement that most people only ever feel when they are young a
شکیبا
Aug 22, 2013 شکیبا rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: همّه‌ی همّه‌ی هممّممه :]
Recommended to شکیبا by: مامان
دوران دبستان بود که من کتابای رامونا رو خوندم و عاشقش شدم. این چیزی هم که درموردش نوشتم، کامنتیه که توی وب ارغوان گذاشتم و دوستدارم اینجا هم باشه. :]

من شیش ساله که بودم، یه کتابفروشیای بود تو خیابون ولیعصر، اسمش بود کتابفروشی فردوس. بعد از اونجا فسقلیها -شامل پیپی پرکار و جیجی جیشو و تیتی تنبل و امثالهم :)- رو برای اوّلینبار گرفتم و خوندم :) بعد مامانم منُ با رامونا آشنا کرد -به واسطهی کتابِ "ادبیات کودک و نوجوان" که اونموقه داشت میخوند- و من دورانِ شیش تا یازده سالگی رو با این موجودِ دوسداشتنی
Destinee Sutton
This seemed sort of dated to me. It's hard to explain why, but it has something to do with the innocence of the Quimby family. They have some money problems, okay, but everything seemed pretty idealized (particularly Mrs. Quimby making three wholesome meals every day--doesn't that seem straight out of the 1950s?). It's not that the book is overly sweet, it's just that it doesn't have any bite. There were two very funny parts that stood out to me: When Ramona came up with "I can't believe I read ...more
Blake Nelson
May 20, 2014 Blake Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to it in my car. Stockard Channing does the narration. I have always said, and still believe the Channing/Ramona combo is the the greatest achievement ever in audiobooks.
Redshirt Knitting
Jul 22, 2011 Redshirt Knitting rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wow! I loved the Ramona Quimby books when I was a kid. (Who didn't?) But I'm pretty sure the last time I read this book, I too was 8. Reading it as an adult is a completely different experience.

The book is still hilarious, but it's an entirely different set of jokes that cracked me up. The book is thick with a deadpan humor that's obviously meant to appeal solely to adults. Mad props to Beverly Cleary for writing something that is literally fun for all ages.

On the darker side, I had forgotten ho
Lindsey Schwanke
The main character in this book is Ramona Quimby who is eight years old and starting the third grade. There are many changes that happen in this point in her life. Money is tight for her family because her father decides to go back to school to get his degree in art and become a teacher. Her mother works at a Doctors office during the day so she can't pick ramona up from school so she has to go over to her friend Howie's house. She hates going over there because Howie's little sister Willa Jean ...more
Goose
Mar 20, 2014 Goose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Classic children's literature. The thing I've learned working with children is that you don't talk down to them, you just have to figure out how to deliver the information to fit in with their life experiences. Cleary has mastered this and I'm fairly sure little me devoured a couple of these books in my younger years. Cleary knows how to get across adult worries such as family finances on a child level without making them seem over threatening. That said, the book does feel a little dated and so ...more
allie
Mar 25, 2009 allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here Ramona cracks a raw egg on her head, throws up in front of her whole first-grade class, and then learns about being part of a family or something. I once vomited in front of my whole 11th-grade class. Some of us really have it rough, Ramona.
Kristina Charnecki
Genre: Contemporary Realism

With the all the new changes in the Quimby family, quirky Ramona is just trying to get by as best as she can to help out her family. She constantly worries about the problems faced by her parents, so it is her job to do well in school like her big sister, Beezus, and behave for her after school babysitter, Mrs. Kemp. However certain things like her new teacher, Mrs. Whaley, and Mrs. Kemp’s granddaughter, Willa Jean, are preventing her from doing so. She is trying her b
Erin
Nov 04, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m trying to write a lot these days. Writing things that I feel neither confident about or certain are worth writing, and so I spend a lot of time plagued with self-doubt. Enter Ramona Quimby, whose name I consistently misremember and mispronounce as Ramona Quimbly. I first met Ramona as a child, probably aged 8 or 9. I remember reading her stories and thinking ‘yes!’ and feeling like I understood everything Ramona went through. I loved that bad things happened to Ramona, but that she continued ...more
Brandi Smith
Apr 12, 2012 Brandi Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary's 6th installment in the Ramona Quimby series received the Newbery Honor in 1982 and the Charlie May Simon Children's Book Award in 1983. The target audience is children ages 5-8(P) and it is a contemporary realistic fiction.
In this installment of the series, Mr.Quimby begins studying to become an art teacher. As a result, Ramona's mother has to work longer hours, which means Ramona now has to spend the evenings at Howie's house with Grandma Kemp and, of course, Willa Jean.
This s
Maryam Shahriari
سری 8 جلدی کتابهای رامونا رو به پیشنهاد و برای همراهی و تشویق خواهرزادهی 10 سالهام که تازه شروع به مطالعه کرده است خوندم.
خیلی خیلی از خوندنشون لذت بردم. کتابها با اینکه در غالب داستان برای بچهها نوشته شده بود ولی در اصل روانشناسی کودک بود. بعد از خوندن این سری کتابها دیدم نسبت به دنیای بچهها و کارهایی که میکنند عوض شد. فکر میکنم از بعد از اون روابطم هم با بچهها بهتر شده. از سری کتابهایی هستند که حتما باز هم میخونمشون.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me. I haven't read a children's book in ages, and I was expecting the story to be fluffy and cute. What I actually found was a simple, but accurate view of how a child sees the world - the problems of adults, their own problems (enormously magnified and all consuming) and the joy of being 8 years old, and owning a "Pearly" pink eraser.

This is a great read!
Annalise
Mar 14, 2016 Annalise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never read these as a child, which is a real shame. Once I heard that Beverly Cleary is turning 100 this year and I decided to give the Ramona books a try. I fell in love with Ramona and her family! While reading this memories of my own childhood came flooding back. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Sam
Aug 29, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love Stockton Channing as the audio narrator for this series. She really captures the characters so well, and I am completely enjoying my slow reread of this series. It's still funny, very classic, and still so easy to recommend to younger readers.
mari
Oct 18, 2016 mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been listening to these books with my 6 year old daughter. We love them. She has been really enjoying getting to know Ramona for the first time and I have loved hearing them again. These were some of my favorites as a kid. Even the hubby has enjoyed them.
Thida
Jun 11, 2008 Thida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ramona quimby is the best.
MrLion626
Mar 08, 2017 MrLion626 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, Ramona Quimby, Age 8, is about Ramona and getting used to her re-organized school.

Ramona Quimby is an eight-year-old girl who has to deal with all the changes in her life. The first big thing is her new, re-organized school. With new students and the new layout, she has some challenges, like a Yard Ape who steals her brand-new eraser. Not only that, but she cracks a raw egg on her head thinking it was hard-boiled, and she overhears her new teacher call her a show-off and a nuisance.
Meredith Johns
Mar 05, 2017 Meredith Johns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of the PopSugar 40 book challenge - we were supposed read a book we loved as child. Reading this book brought back a lot of nostalgia from when I first read it in the second grade. I'm glad this was a category for the book challenge.
Feb 24, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot -- Ramona has become a much more layered and interesting character since the first book, and has to deal with many things typical for her age -- peer relationships, schoolwork, family quarrels, learning new things, etc. I appreciated the real-life situations and observations paired with an insightful and often lighthearted tone.
Meridith Moore
Jan 20, 2014 Meridith Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ramona Quimby, Age 8" by Beverly Cleary is a Newberry Honor Book and a great read for students in the intermediate elementary grades. "Ramona Quimby, Age 8" is just one in a series of chapter books about Ramona Quimby and her life experiences. I believe one of the most appealing aspects of this book (and the series) is how relatable it can be for students of many backgrounds.

Ramona is eight years old and has a world of responsibility on her. She is starting third grade at a new school and is b
Whitney
To this day, I re-read this book every time I'm sick at home with the stomach flu.
Allison Moore
Jan 24, 2014 Allison Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ramona Quimby, Age 8" tells a story of an eight year old girl who faces many new worries and responsibilities. The Quimby family is tight on money and Mr. Quimby has decided to go back to college to be an art teacher. All the while, Ramona is starting third grade and has to be trusted to behave at school and stay with the annoying Willa Jean at the Kemps after school until her mother can pick her up. These many responsibilities placed on Ramona cause her many funny and exciting adventures throu ...more
Mar 26, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is a very quick, easy read that seems like it would be perfect for younger readers. Each chapter has its own arc while still being connected to the other chapters, so it's easy to leave off and pick up again. I definitely have the feeling that Beverly Cleary remembers being a kid and can successfully write from the perspective of one because of it.

Some things in the book were frustrating-- not exactly story-telling issues, but more issues of attitude. The Kemp grandmother is
Rachel Fellows
Jun 23, 2016 Rachel Fellows rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I was 8ish the last time I read this book and it really resonated with me back then. Now, as the mother of an 8 year old girl, I find it still resonates with me. I just really love everything about this book. The humor, the seriousness, the illustrations, the characters, the simple plot, the authenticity.

There is a passage later in the book when Ramona asks her father what he's studying in college and he answers that he's studying Child Psychology and Development. In other words, he's studying
Sarah Sammis
Jun 13, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary has written around forty books and has been writing for longer than I've been alive. Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is the first book by her I've read and I loved it. It won't be the last.

Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is the sixth book that features Ramona Quimby. Ramona is proudly starting 3rd grade. She gets to ride the bus. She's going to learn longhand. She has "Sustained Silent Reading" which she adores.

She unfortunately has a few things to worry about too: Yard Face who might be a friend or mi
Rachel White
Dec 05, 2012 Rachel White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby. Oh how I loved these stories growing up. I especially loved this book. I loved how Ramona tried her hardest to act like a big girl. With her father going back to college and her mother starting work, Ramona is having to be a big girl so her parents can trust leaving her to get on her bus and stay at her grandma's house until Beezus can pick her up. This is hard for Ramona, being that she is only 8, but she is bound and determined to make her parents proud.
I would recommend this t
AlexandriaLibraryVA: Has a book quote ever described your situation perfectly? 3 11 Sep 22, 2015 09:32AM
loveing ramona 17 36 Jul 10, 2013 07:12AM
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #2)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Volcano: The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens
  • The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural
  • Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)
  • Philip Hall Likes Me. I Reckon Maybe. (Beth Lambert, #1)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

Ramona Quimby (9 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)
  • The Ramona Quimby Audio Collection

“He was dressed as if everything he wore had come from different stores or from a rummage sale, except that the crease in his trousers was sharp and his shoes were shined.” 16 likes
“grim. “Plenty.” 0 likes