Start by marking “Wildfire” as Want to Read:
Wildfire

Wildfire

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  528 ratings  ·  25 reviews
For some reason the desert scene before Lucy Bostil awoke varying emotions a sweet gratitude for the fullness of her life there at the Ford, yet a haunting remorse that she could not be wholly content a vague loneliness of soul a thrill and a fear for the strangely calling future, glorious, unknown.
Published April 21st 2010 by Ebookslib (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildfire

Daniel Villines
Feb 05, 2012 Daniel Villines rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Colonel Potter and M*A*S*H
I found this Zane Grey book while visiting Virginia a few years back and immediately thought of the wisdom, kindness, and practicality that was portrayed by Colonel Potter in the TV series M*A*S*H. While I do enjoy the occasional black-and-white western, the genre has typically not been a place where I look for insightful writing on the human condition. Colonel Potter, however, loved Zane Gray and the character of Colonel Potter exhibited a straightforward dedication to truth and virtue. With th ...more
Rick Shrader
Well, I finally read a Zane Grey book. Over the years I’ve found that one kind of leisure book I like is the American western. I have also read a couple Louis L’Amour books and I’ve read all of the Harold Bell Wright books. I suppose I like them because they remind me of my childhood on the river with my grandpa. Zane Grey is a good story teller. He obviously had a knowledge of the southwestern states and a love for the land. These stories are set in the horse and buggy western days (this one wa ...more
Micki
Mixed feelings about my first Grey novel. At first I lived the descriptions of the area then they became tedious. The characters just didn't seem real enough for me but then the book was written about 100 years ago. Lucy was so melodramatic and her dad, Bostil, was a tyrant. Sloane was my favorite. I thought the best part of the book was Sloane's hunting trek to get Wildfire.
Dorothy
A fantastic western with action, mystery, and of course a little love thrown in. Lynn Sloan has spent many months tracking a beautiful stallion named Wildfire. When he is finally able to catch him he is totally spent.
Tiffany
Zane Grey was an amazing author. I read this book as a young adult, and was immediately drawn to it. I grew up on the dramatic westerns that my father loved. Among these were Zane Grey. As a young child, the massive volumes intimidated me too much to tackle. However, this one definitely drew me in because of my obsession with horses. A timeless love story, a story of freedom and respect for animals, and a western to boot, I quickly fell in love with this book. Zane Grey is well-known for his dem ...more
Christine E. Sokoloff
Great read !

I loved it ! It was one of the best stories I have read in a long time. Try it
Jamie
Feb 05, 2012 Jamie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Daniel
Shelves: the-wild-west
A whole lot of fun. Not as tightly written as something like Saber River or Yuma, and the dialogue lacks that sizzle, but the man can tell a story. Pull off a little time-travel and give Zane Gray Elmore Leonard’s rules for writing (really, just 3, 4, and 5): you’d have something there for sure.
Susy
I just re-read this book for the first time in 30 years. I was surprised that I still think it is as good as when I read it as a kid. I had forgotten how much description of the desert Grey includes which goes on for pages and pages. I got a bit bogged down stage-setting each location during Slone's tracking of Wildfire and had to make myself just read the description. And...

I had forgotten just.how.sad.the.ending.is.

Pamela(AllHoney)
There is no doubt as to why Zane Grey is called the father of the western novel. He can sure write a story. It was, however, a bit dated. It was sometimes hard to understand some of the jargon used from that time period. But not so much that it interfered with the story. Mr Grey was a very descriptive writer and that is what made it a difficult read for me personally. It won't keep me from reading more, though.
Ashley Lane
I read this book for the first time when I was about 13 and I adored it. I've read it at least 3 more times since. It's lost a little bit of its appeal but I still get the same emotions about the book i did when I first read it, so i still love it.

Not the most wonderful book ever written, but it has emotional significance to me.
Vicki
I wanna be a cowboy! Or cowgirl in this case. I love horses and cowboys and this was my first taste of Zane Grey. Lovely descriptions of the land, life and horses of the West.Now the only question is, which Zane Grey to read next?
Alan
Grey tells a great story. The descriptions are quite vivid and you get a real sense of the period. Great characters. I'm surprised this hasn't been made into a movie. Quite the treat for a change of pace...
Sandra Lovelace
I enjoy the way Zane Grey writes and this story was typical. The only time I have trouble is when his descriptions of the beautiful west get too long and involved. I don't mind skimming those.
Amy
I hafta confess, I'm not much of a cowgirl. Good book, but I didn't really appreciate the horses much. And that is kind of a big thing in this book.
Fredrick Danysh
Lucy Bostil saves the lives of wild-horse hunter Lin Sloan and a stallion named Wildfire. The three then have to contend with a real wildfire.
Nicole Martin
Zane Grey is one of the most descriptive authors I've ever read. Westerns are a guilty pleasure for me and he never fails to deliver.
Amy
Aug 15, 2012 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelved
This particular novel of Grey's just isn't grabbing me. After three false starts I am returning it to the "to-read" shelf for a later try.
Data
Always my favorite Zane Grey novel. A love story with a magnificent horse. What else can you ask for?
Butch
Unfortunately, it is nowhere as good as Riders of Purple Sage. Tedious even for ZG.
JP
A dime store-paperback adventure about a horse race.
John
if you are a horse lover you will love this
Robert
My favorite book about a horse.
Heather Clitheroe
A wonderful book. I really enjoyed it!
Jerry Killen
Cyndi De Young marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • The Night Horseman
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Crossfire Trail
  • Between Tooth and Paw
  • Some Horses: Essays
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • A Texas Ranger
  • The Drifter (The Last Gunfighter, #1)
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...
Riders of the Purple Sage The Last Trail The Lone Star Ranger Betty Zane The Spirit of the Border