Start by marking “Wildfire” as Want to Read:
Wildfire

Wildfire

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  700 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
For some reason the desert scene before Lucy Bostil awoke varying emotions a sweet gratitude for the fullness of her life there at the Ford, yet a haunting remorse that she could not be wholly content a vague loneliness of soul a thrill and a fear for the strangely calling future, glorious, unknown.
Published April 21st 2010 by Ebookslib (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildfire

Daniel Villines
Feb 05, 2012 Daniel Villines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Colonel Potter and M*A*S*H
I found this Zane Grey book while visiting Virginia a few years back and immediately thought of the wisdom, kindness, and practicality that was portrayed by Colonel Potter in the TV series M*A*S*H. While I do enjoy the occasional black-and-white western, the genre has typically not been a place where I look for insightful writing on the human condition. Colonel Potter, however, loved Zane Gray and the character of Colonel Potter exhibited a straightforward dedication to truth and virtue. With th ...more
Rick Shrader
Well, I finally read a Zane Grey book. Over the years I’ve found that one kind of leisure book I like is the American western. I have also read a couple Louis L’Amour books and I’ve read all of the Harold Bell Wright books. I suppose I like them because they remind me of my childhood on the river with my grandpa. Zane Grey is a good story teller. He obviously had a knowledge of the southwestern states and a love for the land. These stories are set in the horse and buggy western days (this one wa ...more
Kirsten
Feb 29, 2016 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly a 100 years since this was published.
But despite the aged style I was blown away by the written description of the countryside, canyons, remoteness and journey of our wild horse tracker. The working relationship with the horses was real - Zane Grey knew horses.
While I was born in the US I've lived my life in Australia and most of that with horses.
The book has me wanting to jump into Google Earth and seek out that countryside and those canyons and put my mind back into that story and th
Dave
Jul 08, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I like about Zane Grey is that he doesn't follow the typical cookie cutter Western story model. There were some of the typical themes of loner cowboy falls in love with headstrong rancher's daughter, but there were also some thought provoking and moral issues also dealt with in this book. Grey is a master of description of scenery and he uses metaphor and alliteration in ways not used in today's speech and writing. What I liked about this story is that it didn't entirely end th ...more
Theresa
My goodness how I love Zane Grey!

This book is about horse people, horses, and a love story.

Bostil is a horse man. He is obsessed with horses. If it's a good horse he has to own it. He gets pretty underhanded about it. Even though he owns Sage King who wins the big race every year, he can't deal with anyone else having a fast horse.

Bostil also has a daughter who he loves just as much. Lucy would argue maybe just a little less.

There are also two different factions who are obsessed with horses and
Micki
Feb 14, 2015 Micki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed feelings about my first Grey novel. At first I lived the descriptions of the area then they became tedious. The characters just didn't seem real enough for me but then the book was written about 100 years ago. Lucy was so melodramatic and her dad, Bostil, was a tyrant. Sloane was my favorite. I thought the best part of the book was Sloane's hunting trek to get Wildfire.
Dorothy
Nov 20, 2014 Dorothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic western with action, mystery, and of course a little love thrown in. Lynn Sloan has spent many months tracking a beautiful stallion named Wildfire. When he is finally able to catch him he is totally spent.
Tiffany
Nov 04, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Zane Grey was an amazing author. I read this book as a young adult, and was immediately drawn to it. I grew up on the dramatic westerns that my father loved. Among these were Zane Grey. As a young child, the massive volumes intimidated me too much to tackle. However, this one definitely drew me in because of my obsession with horses. A timeless love story, a story of freedom and respect for animals, and a western to boot, I quickly fell in love with this book. Zane Grey is well-known for his dem ...more
Brenda Lerch
Nov 08, 2015 Brenda Lerch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

just can't go wrong with a story about a girl's love for her horse and the man who loves her.
Christine E. Sokoloff
Great read !

I loved it ! It was one of the best stories I have read in a long time. Try it
Gena Lott
Jun 09, 2015 Gena Lott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
One of the only books of Grey's I've read. He is not my favorite.
Jamie
Feb 05, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Daniel
Shelves: the-wild-west
A whole lot of fun. Not as tightly written as something like Saber River or Yuma, and the dialogue lacks that sizzle, but the man can tell a story. Pull off a little time-travel and give Zane Gray Elmore Leonard’s rules for writing (really, just 3, 4, and 5): you’d have something there for sure.
Susy
I just re-read this book for the first time in 30 years. I was surprised that I still think it is as good as when I read it as a kid. I had forgotten how much description of the desert Grey includes which goes on for pages and pages. I got a bit bogged down stage-setting each location during Slone's tracking of Wildfire and had to make myself just read the description. And...

I had forgotten just.how.sad.the.ending.is.

Pamela(AllHoney)
There is no doubt as to why Zane Grey is called the father of the western novel. He can sure write a story. It was, however, a bit dated. It was sometimes hard to understand some of the jargon used from that time period. But not so much that it interfered with the story. Mr Grey was a very descriptive writer and that is what made it a difficult read for me personally. It won't keep me from reading more, though.
Ashley Lane
May 06, 2009 Ashley Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this book for the first time when I was about 13 and I adored it. I've read it at least 3 more times since. It's lost a little bit of its appeal but I still get the same emotions about the book i did when I first read it, so i still love it.

Not the most wonderful book ever written, but it has emotional significance to me.
Vicki
Mar 20, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanna be a cowboy! Or cowgirl in this case. I love horses and cowboys and this was my first taste of Zane Grey. Lovely descriptions of the land, life and horses of the West.Now the only question is, which Zane Grey to read next?
Alan
May 03, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grey tells a great story. The descriptions are quite vivid and you get a real sense of the period. Great characters. I'm surprised this hasn't been made into a movie. Quite the treat for a change of pace...
Sandra Lovelace
Jul 26, 2013 Sandra Lovelace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the way Zane Grey writes and this story was typical. The only time I have trouble is when his descriptions of the beautiful west get too long and involved. I don't mind skimming those.
Amy
Jun 05, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hafta confess, I'm not much of a cowgirl. Good book, but I didn't really appreciate the horses much. And that is kind of a big thing in this book.
Fredrick Danysh
Lucy Bostil saves the lives of wild-horse hunter Lin Sloan and a stallion named Wildfire. The three then have to contend with a real wildfire.
Nicole Martin
Jul 05, 2012 Nicole Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zane Grey is one of the most descriptive authors I've ever read. Westerns are a guilty pleasure for me and he never fails to deliver.
Amy
Aug 15, 2012 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelved
This particular novel of Grey's just isn't grabbing me. After three false starts I am returning it to the "to-read" shelf for a later try.
Data
Always my favorite Zane Grey novel. A love story with a magnificent horse. What else can you ask for?
Butch
Oct 02, 2013 Butch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, it is nowhere as good as Riders of Purple Sage. Tedious even for ZG.
Lisa
Mar 07, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! Almost as good as my fav Under the Tonto Rim
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A dime store-paperback adventure about a horse race.
John
Dec 27, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 5-star
if you are a horse lover you will love this
Robert
May 19, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book about a horse.
Heather Clitheroe
Jan 10, 2010 Heather Clitheroe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
A wonderful book. I really enjoyed it!
Jerry Killen
Enjoyable but predictable.
  • The Untamed
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Lord Harry (Regency, #5)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Love Conspiracy
  • Nakoa's Woman
  • Illicit Night with the Greek
  • Fencing the Sky: A Novel
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...

“the trail, and returned home as he had left, stealthily, like an Indian.” 0 likes