Start by marking “A Girl and Her Gator” as Want to Read:
A Girl and Her Gator

A Girl and Her Gator

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews

Claire—the sister of the “boy who one day woke up with a bunny on his head”—discovers that she too has a strange new condition: When she looks in the mirror, there is a gator in her hair! What is she to do? Panic? Run to Mother? Or, like her brother, learn to enjoy her new friend? With endearing characters and simple, chuckle-worthy rhyme schemes, Sean Bryan and Tom Murphy

Published April 3rd 2006 by Arcade Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Girl and Her Gator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl and Her Gator

David
Aug 06, 2011 David rated it really liked it
A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan, illustrated by Thomas Murphy is another book I wish I'd found sooner. It looks like a sure fire read-aloud storytime hit.

Claire — the sister of the “boy who one day woke up with a bunny on his head” — discovers that she too has a strange new condition: When she looks in the mirror, there is a gator in her hair! What is she to do? Will she learn to enjoy her new friend?

This very silly rhyming book features a French alligator (or perhaps Pierre is both Cajun and
Dena (Batch of Books)
Oct 08, 2012 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This story is simply delightful in every aspect. The illustrations have a simple, child-like quality to them which really enhance the entertaining story of Claire and her gator.

While the story is rather silly and humorous, the issue of fitting in is addressed. Claire worries that people will stare, and what her friends will think of her when they see her with a gator on her head. The gator assures her that it will all be fine, and it is! Everyone notices the gator, but they all think it is a pr
Mary-Kate Ganssle
Jun 09, 2014 Mary-Kate Ganssle rated it it was amazing
Title: A Girl and Her Gator
Author: Sean Bryan
Illustrator: Tom Murphy
Date of Publication: 2006
Genre: Fiction

Summary:
This short story is about a girl named Claire who wakes up with a gator on top of her hair. She grows from being uncomfortable with her condition, weary about others' reactions, to embracing the gator as a new accessory.

Evaluation:
This story is hilarious! The use of rhyme and quirky humor makes it an awesome read-aloud for a younger group of students. If read independently, it would
Karen Dransfield
Apr 13, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The couch in the library where I was sitting had a pile of picture books spread all over it. This caught my eye so I picked it up to read plus a couple of other ones. The author mentions in their blurb on the back cover how they are trying to introduce a new genre in books, ones about people with animals on their head. This is about a girl who wakes up and discovers an alligator on her head. And how he wont get off but travels with her all day doing things with her. It's very funny and has some ...more
Emma
Jun 22, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing
One day a girl named Claire
gets out of bed and finds a gator in her hair.
Being reasonable, Claire asks the gator (Pierre)
to vacate her head before people stare.
To which Pierre responds "Au contrair!"
explaining why any other girl would wish for a gator in her hair.
Such is the story created by Sean Bryan and Tom Murphy
in their second book where things get topsy turvy.
Now might also be the time,
to mention that it's written in rhyme.

Joking aside, A Girl and Her Gator (2006) is one of my favorite pic
Cierra Henderson
May 16, 2016 Cierra Henderson rated it liked it
This is about a girl who wakes up with a gator on her head. She is worried what people will think and how she will be treated. With the help of the gator, she finds that she can do just as much and people will be jealous of her new friend! The media is pretty animated and drawn with not a lot of detail. This book is meant for a really young audience to make them laugh. I really liked this quick book that will help kids embrace differences and those who are different to them.
Dolly
Dec 20, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read A Boy and His Bunny and noticed that at the end of the story we were introduced to a girl and her gator. Our girls anticipated that there'd be a second book, and we were pleasantly surprised to see that they were correct.

This story is very similar to the first book, except that instead of rhyming with the word 'head,' the sentences rhyme with the word 'hair.' It's a short, rhyming story that is fun to read aloud. I loved that I got to read the story with a French accent. Our gi
Maria
May 11, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
Claire woke up with a gator up there.

Why I started this book: A coworker chose this book for today's Storytime.

Why I finished it: Charming, delightful, rhyming fun. I caught a few of my runners with this story. The children that can't sit still because they are so excited to be in the library... came closer for this story.
Maggie KutsBorg
A really wonderful storytime book. I read this to 2 groups of preschoolers for a "Letter G" theme and used an alligator puppet (held on top of my head, obviously) as a prop. It got a lot of laughs from grown-ups and kids alike! Good rhymes, clear illustrations, and a nice length make this a slam dunk.
Heidi
Ahhh! A sequel. Oh my word! How perfect. I saw this in my co-workers pile of books for storytime. So we read it together. And it was fabulously hilarious. So glad the kids will get the sequel.

2/13/13 & 2/14/13: Part of the "Odd Friends" valentine-ish theme. Can't believe I haven't read this one, yet. Very fun though, and the kids loved seeing the gator on her head. With "May I bring a friend" before this, "5 little monkeys" was a perfect song in between the two. And I was easily able to tel
Rachael
This book made me smile. A girl wakes up one morning to find an alligator on her head.
A picture book in verse worthy of Seuss but with far fewer made up words.
Jillian
Nov 11, 2014 Jillian rated it liked it
Shelves: tikka-s-books
I liked reading this because of the rhyming story. At 4 months, Tikka was not very interested in the illustrations. I may read this again when she is a little older.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
And the gator *is* on her head. It's great. The problem with books for adults is that there aren't enough gators.
Jul 16, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Loved this book. Read it to the first grade class & it was well-recieved.
Cemeread
Jun 08, 2014 Cemeread rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
There are two other similar titles by this author- like them all. A bit silly.
Allie Lu
Jul 13, 2014 Allie Lu rated it it was amazing
Read it every night before bed during the two weeks we kept it.
Sarah Stumphf
Feb 21, 2014 Sarah Stumphf rated it really liked it
Cute little rhyming book and the title says it all.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one!
Rachel
Aug 25, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I loved his book "A Boy and His Bunny," that I simply had to read this book. This book is about Claire, the sister of the boy with a bunny on his head, who wakes up one morning to find a gator named Pierre on top of her hair. I love it that the gator is French and they have all these different outfits for her and the gator. And it sets up his next book about a bear with a boy on his head. How can you not love a book that ends with: "Have you met my cousin who lives in Bel-Air? He woke up attache ...more
Jim Westen
May 30, 2015 Jim Westen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storytime B
Pamela
The author's previous book, The Boy and His Bunny, made me smile and I enjoyed sharing it with students. This one is the sequel, the story of the boy's sister, who provided the ending hook in the first story. It is very similar, both in illustrations, story line, and rhyming rhythm, which are all clever enough. However, it suffers from not being as fresh as when I heard it the first time. (optional for K-3)
Lyndsay Ritchey
Feb 09, 2012 Lyndsay Ritchey rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-lit
READ A LOUD PICK: I really enjoyed reading this book to the girls i babysit. The illustrations were bright and went alonfect with the story. It was a silly but fun book to read, the girls were laughing the whole story which made it even more enjoyable. I dont think this would be a good book to use in a lesson, but I would definitely like to have it on the bookshelf in my room for kids to read on their own.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
May 04, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-childrens
A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan
This is another cute story, from the author of "A Boy and His Bunny." In this one Claire wakes up with a gator stuck in her hair. We liked that her friends thought it was cool, that she had a gator. The pictures were also very adorable.
Amy
Dec 04, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I read this charming picture book to my cousin Shea at the Kingman Public Library yesterday. While it had a bit too much of a fashion focus for my adult feminist tastes, it was fun to read and is probably about perfect for the average 4-6 year old girl.
Michelle
Mar 29, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A girl finds a gator on her head and ha to decide what to do with it. This was a great read aloud and a hit with the kids and the parents. The rhyme got me all tongue twisted though.
Feb 11, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the full-on acceptance of a girl waking up and discovering that there was a gator on her head. The rhyming lines were fun and inventively varied. Ages 5 to 10.
Anne
Apr 27, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-gems
This is one of my favorite storytime books! I ask for a volunteer from the audience who gets to wear our alligator puppet for the rest of the story. BWA HA HA.
Rebecca Dean
This is a cute book to read to children when they need a good laugh. This is a quick book to give the class a small break before going into another subject.
Sally
Nov 26, 2007 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another favorite children's book. Simple, colorful illustrations, coupled with the sing-song rhyming patterns of the story, make this book fun to read aloud.
Jeni
Apr 07, 2008 Jeni rated it it was amazing
Truly love this one, and know you will too. If your not feeling so girly, there is also a sequel; A bear and his boy. Very playful.
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Bear with Me