Start by marking “A Girl and Her Gator” as Want to Read:
A Girl and Her Gator

A Girl and Her Gator

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  41 reviews

Claire—the sister of the “boy who one day woke up with a bunny on his head”—discovers that she too has a strange new condition: When she looks in the mirror, there is a gator in her hair! What is she to do? Panic? Run to Mother? Or, like her brother, learn to enjoy her new friend? With endearing characters and simple, chuckle-worthy rhyme schemes, Sean Bryan and Tom Murphy

Published April 3rd 2006 by Arcade Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Girl and Her Gator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl and Her Gator

David
A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan, illustrated by Thomas Murphy is another book I wish I'd found sooner. It looks like a sure fire read-aloud storytime hit.

Claire — the sister of the “boy who one day woke up with a bunny on his head” — discovers that she too has a strange new condition: When she looks in the mirror, there is a gator in her hair! What is she to do? Will she learn to enjoy her new friend?

This very silly rhyming book features a French alligator (or perhaps Pierre is both Cajun and
Dena (Batch of Books)
This story is simply delightful in every aspect. The illustrations have a simple, child-like quality to them which really enhance the entertaining story of Claire and her gator.

While the story is rather silly and humorous, the issue of fitting in is addressed. Claire worries that people will stare, and what her friends will think of her when they see her with a gator on her head. The gator assures her that it will all be fine, and it is! Everyone notices the gator, but they all think it is a pr
Mary-Kate Ganssle
Title: A Girl and Her Gator
Author: Sean Bryan
Illustrator: Tom Murphy
Date of Publication: 2006
Genre: Fiction

Summary:
This short story is about a girl named Claire who wakes up with a gator on top of her hair. She grows from being uncomfortable with her condition, weary about others' reactions, to embracing the gator as a new accessory.

Evaluation:
This story is hilarious! The use of rhyme and quirky humor makes it an awesome read-aloud for a younger group of students. If read independently, it would
Emma (Miss Print)
One day a girl named Claire
gets out of bed and finds a gator in her hair.
Being reasonable, Claire asks the gator (Pierre)
to vacate her head before people stare.
To which Pierre responds "Au contrair!"
explaining why any other girl would wish for a gator in her hair.
Such is the story created by Sean Bryan and Tom Murphy
in their second book where things get topsy turvy.
Now might also be the time,
to mention that it's written in rhyme.

Joking aside, A Girl and Her Gator (2006) is one of my favorite pic
Dolly
Dec 20, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read A Boy and His Bunny and noticed that at the end of the story we were introduced to a girl and her gator. Our girls anticipated that there'd be a second book, and we were pleasantly surprised to see that they were correct.

This story is very similar to the first book, except that instead of rhyming with the word 'head,' the sentences rhyme with the word 'hair.' It's a short, rhyming story that is fun to read aloud. I loved that I got to read the story with a French accent. Our gi
Jillian
I liked reading this because of the rhyming story. At 4 months, Tikka was not very interested in the illustrations. I may read this again when she is a little older.
I loved the full-on acceptance of a girl waking up and discovering that there was a gator on her head. The rhyming lines were fun and inventively varied. Ages 5 to 10.
Kaethe
And the gator *is* on her head. It's great. The problem with books for adults is that there aren't enough gators.
Jul 16, 2014 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Loved this book. Read it to the first grade class & it was well-recieved.
Cemeread
There are two other similar titles by this author- like them all. A bit silly.
Heidi
Ahhh! A sequel. Oh my word! How perfect. I saw this in my co-workers pile of books for storytime. So we read it together. And it was fabulously hilarious. So glad the kids will get the sequel.

2/13/13 & 2/14/13: Part of the "Odd Friends" valentine-ish theme. Can't believe I haven't read this one, yet. Very fun though, and the kids loved seeing the gator on her head. With "May I bring a friend" before this, "5 little monkeys" was a perfect song in between the two. And I was easily able to tel
Allie Lu
Read it every night before bed during the two weeks we kept it.
Sarah Stumphf
Cute little rhyming book and the title says it all.
Rachel
I loved his book "A Boy and His Bunny," that I simply had to read this book. This book is about Claire, the sister of the boy with a bunny on his head, who wakes up one morning to find a gator named Pierre on top of her hair. I love it that the gator is French and they have all these different outfits for her and the gator. And it sets up his next book about a bear with a boy on his head. How can you not love a book that ends with: "Have you met my cousin who lives in Bel-Air? He woke up attache ...more
Pamela
The author's previous book, The Boy and His Bunny, made me smile and I enjoyed sharing it with students. This one is the sequel, the story of the boy's sister, who provided the ending hook in the first story. It is very similar, both in illustrations, story line, and rhyming rhythm, which are all clever enough. However, it suffers from not being as fresh as when I heard it the first time. (optional for K-3)
Lyndsay Ritchey
READ A LOUD PICK: I really enjoyed reading this book to the girls i babysit. The illustrations were bright and went alonfect with the story. It was a silly but fun book to read, the girls were laughing the whole story which made it even more enjoyable. I dont think this would be a good book to use in a lesson, but I would definitely like to have it on the bookshelf in my room for kids to read on their own.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan
This is another cute story, from the author of "A Boy and His Bunny." In this one Claire wakes up with a gator stuck in her hair. We liked that her friends thought it was cool, that she had a gator. The pictures were also very adorable.
Amy
I read this charming picture book to my cousin Shea at the Kingman Public Library yesterday. While it had a bit too much of a fashion focus for my adult feminist tastes, it was fun to read and is probably about perfect for the average 4-6 year old girl.
Michelle
A girl finds a gator on her head and ha to decide what to do with it. This was a great read aloud and a hit with the kids and the parents. The rhyme got me all tongue twisted though.
Anne
This is one of my favorite storytime books! I ask for a volunteer from the audience who gets to wear our alligator puppet for the rest of the story. BWA HA HA.
Rebecca Dean
This is a cute book to read to children when they need a good laugh. This is a quick book to give the class a small break before going into another subject.
Sally
Another favorite children's book. Simple, colorful illustrations, coupled with the sing-song rhyming patterns of the story, make this book fun to read aloud.
Jeni
Truly love this one, and know you will too. If your not feeling so girly, there is also a sequel; A bear and his boy. Very playful.
Lara
Silly story about a girl who finds a gator on her head. I love the simple illustrations and the humor. Should work well for storytime.
Leah
A funny, rhyming, nonsense story of a girl with a gator on her head and all the things she can do with it up there.
Megan B
This is a nice follow-up to A Boy and His Bunny. There is a third one too that we haven't read yet.
I love this book, and the various other versions, a bear and his boy, and a boy and his bunny!
Carrie Gelson
Wonderful rhymes. Delightfully simple art and lots and lots of smiles. Such a fun read aloud!
Bree
Notes:
sequel to boy and his bunny but not as good; sister has a gator in her hair;
Kate
If only you knew about all the fun things you could do with a gator on your head!
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • New Socks
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Bear with Me
  • Hilda Must Be Dancing
  • What Pet To Get?
  • My Little Sister Ate One Hare
  • More Bears!
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Baghead