Start by marking “The Odyssey, Book 1-12” as Want to Read:
The Odyssey, Book 1-12

The Odyssey, Book 1-12

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,358 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A substantial introduction covers many of the questions that lie behind the poem, including a thorough summary of Homeric grammar; the text is elucidated with full annotations, indexes and bibliography.
Published February 24th 2009 by Duckworth Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Odyssey, Book 1-12, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Odyssey, Book 1-12

Cara
Jul 06, 2015 Cara rated it really liked it
Wonderful piece of literature. This is definitely one of my favorite things to read in high school and in college.
Odysseus has a hard time trying to get home, but he never gives up; even after being stuck on the island with Calypso, he still dreamed of seeing his wife and his homeland.
I wish people nowadays could have this strength, loyalty and morals. The world would be a better place with more people like him.
Dania Roman
May 11, 2012 Dania Roman rated it it was amazing
this book was really good. I enjoyed it because it was interesting of all the things of the gods and their stories. I enjoyed reading it because it had alot of adventure, and it also had challenges. The book was sometimes confusing at parts, but it got me confused because i was absent and when i came back i didnt get the story. But after all this the book was really good it had alot of good parts and sad parts.
Sonia
Jun 28, 2013 Sonia rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobooks...there were 24 books in all. Excellent story, the whole thing! I truly enjoyed it. Reading about Greek mythology has always been a favorite of mine. They are classic tales that will be around forever.
Elizabeth Moon
Dec 10, 2010 Elizabeth Moon rated it it was amazing
Foundation reading...have re-read both the Iliad and the Odyssey multiple times. We also read it some of it in Greek, but I'm lousy at languages and really struggled.
Richard Ratzlaff
Jan 08, 2013 Richard Ratzlaff rated it really liked it
A good read throughout. Pacing was good, which is surprising.
Jonathon Palmer
Oct 14, 2012 Jonathon Palmer rated it it was amazing
Tale!
Lynn
Nov 08, 2010 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explains a great deal of Greek Mythology and I especially like the tale of Ulysses and Penelope.
Donna
Dec 07, 2010 Donna rated it liked it
Took a long time to get through it but the stories were excellent and the prose is very special.
Denise Nieves
Sep 29, 2013 Denise Nieves rated it liked it
Shelves: 9th-grade-books
The Odyssey was a great book! Sometimes it had me confused because I didn't understand what they were trying to say ,but in the end I understood some what everything . The only thing that matters is that Odysseus went home with his son and wife. This book was awesome it teaches us how things are hard in life. One day we will go threw hard times ,others times they will be easy! I loved how Odysseus in the end showed the suitors of with the bow went he shot it! Also when his wife didn't believe it ...more
J. Keck
Jul 07, 2013 J. Keck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An experience! I read Part I and Part II ofThe Odyssey while I was in school, attending a class in ancient Greek. The excitement came to me when I tried to read a portion of the original Greek text across from the English translation. Realizing that the Greek was as close as I would ever get to an unadulterated experience of the epic, made an indelible impression on me. Yes, it was tedious at times; nonetheless, knowing that the words and the story had the power to reach across thousands of year ...more
Heather
I had never read this classic, and thanks to the audio version I got through it. Just listening to the names was overwhelming, I can't imagine how hard reading them would have been. As this is epic Greek poetry, some of the repetition can be forgiven. Many people are familiar with the struggles of Odysseus even if they haven't read the tale.

Summary: Homer's masterpiecce tells the story of Odysseus, the ideal Greek hero, as he travels home to Ithaca after the Trojan War--a journey of many years a
Caroline
Jun 15, 2014 Caroline rated it it was amazing
this is a wonderful and amazing piece of literature. I absolutely loved this book. Be warned though, if you don't like the writing style/old English or are not prepared to take annotations this is NOT the book for you. The essence of adventure shall never let you down and the cleverness of the characters is something to behold. Being 11 can be quite annoying, no one ever takes you seriously. So, with all do respect, please don't ignore this review. To sum up this evaluation, the novel was quite ...more
Skyler
Oct 01, 2013 Skyler rated it it was ok
Shelves: 9th-grade
I didn't really like this book that much. The language was weird and I wasn't into it. I found most of it really confusing and weird. Like the sirens part, I didn't really get that part. To me the best part of the book was when Odysseus and his men escaped the Cyclops's cave. They really had to think of a way to get out of there with out him noticing. There was a lot of action threw out the whole book. It was an okay book, but not something I would recommend. I found the ending boring and I just ...more
Mary
Jan 30, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Well, it took Odysseus 19 years to get home after the Trojan War, and it took me one year to read this book after the birth of my twins. Not my favorite read ever, but it was good and easy to read. Biggest issue for me was reading it after long breaks because the names were difficult to keep straight sometimes. I have to say, with all the build up for his return and getting his revenge on the suitors, the ending was quite abrupt.
Michelle Mundinger
Feb 12, 2014 Michelle Mundinger rated it did not like it
If I could go back in time to my 9th grade self, I would make it a point not to read this awful story. For crying out loud, even the play was bad. Not only then could I not understand what was going on, but 10 years later I can't figure it out. If you're into Roman themes, for the love of all things sane, watch the movie "Gladiator" or even "300" just to humor yourself.
Benjamin
Nov 15, 2013 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
A great work of fiction done by are forerunners. A true piece of wonder and a reminder of the failings of men. The chink in most men's armor are women and the Greeks explore that. Along with the urge most men feel for adventure and the never ending search for wonder. Of course danger is always what makes it all worth it >:]
Bryce Lowry
Dec 23, 2010 Bryce Lowry rated it it was ok
The only reason I think this book was okay is because it was written well on a technical level. However, I don't really respect the story itself. It's about a highly immoral man who expects his wife to have been moral and faithful to him for the many years that he was gone. During eight of those years, he was busy sleeping with some terrible goddess. Talk about messed up values.
Joseph milligan
May 09, 2013 Joseph milligan rated it really liked it
I Read The Odyssey, i find it to be an interesting book. It has different events that happen that help pull the reader into the story. The use of different creatures really help keep the reader on edge. Like a lot of books it gets strung out and boring after a few chapters of bad events happening. But i do like this book because of the age and what it consists of.
Dimitra
May 07, 2014 Dimitra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-beauties
Τα λόγια είναι περιττά για ένα βιβλίο σαν αυτό!
Επικό με όλη τη σημασία της λέξεως!
Σε μεταφέρει στην αρχαία Ελλάδα και σε διδάσκει πολλά πράγματα.
Μια ιστορία που πρέπει να διαβάσει ο καθένας μας οπωσδήποτε, για να μάθει να αγαπά, να πολεμά για την οικογένεια και για το δίκιο του, και να ξεπερνά κάθε εμπόδιο μαθαίνοντας και φτιάχνοντας χαρακτήρα.
Μάθημα ζωής το βιβλίο αυτό...
Ziyanda Xaso
Apr 09, 2012 Ziyanda Xaso rated it liked it
Books 1 to 12 of the Odyssey comprise mainly of Ulysses' journey back home. I never got a chance to read this book in school so I was curious about the story. I must admit that I do have mixed reviews of it as at times it was monotonous. An interesting read to say the least.
Jahmey rodriguez
Sep 30, 2013 Jahmey rodriguez rated it liked it
Shelves: 9-th-grade-books
it was cool because i liked it when he battles the cyclops but not the fact he acts cocky,but the way his men died and how he was the only one alive and also returning home disquised as a begger was a cool story,but not my favoriote
Oct 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: 9th-grade
This book would be really good if it was in modern reading. I was confused a lot, but I had to read it over and over just to get it. It wasn't much fun reading it and trying really hard to understand it.
Daniel
Nov 01, 2010 Daniel added it
Shelves: fiction
THE ODYSSEY is the prototypical journey tale of world literature. After ten years fighting and helping the Greeks win the Trojan War, Odysseus, King of Ithaka, offends the sea god Poseidon and is doomed to another ten years of wandering before being...
Esme
Apr 21, 2013 Esme rated it it was ok
an incredible journey, but lacked a lot of imagery and descriptive language, it's more like a list of events than a story, and if i had to read the line 'rosy-fingered dawn' one more time i'd eat the book
Ashley Reichert
Oct 17, 2012 Ashley Reichert rated it did not like it
Shelves: ap-reading
I thought The Odyssey was very boring. I did not think the storyline was interesting and had a hard time relating to anything that occurred because it was written so long ago.
Sheralyn
Jun 28, 2013 Sheralyn rated it it was amazing
Another book from to long ago to remember any more than that I enjoyed it so on my list to read again.
Isabella
Apr 21, 2014 Isabella rated it it was amazing
What an amazing piece of history . I actualy realy enjoyed it , even despite the age of it it was even better then some of the ribbish young adult books i have read.!
Chad
May 13, 2011 Chad rated it liked it
I don't need to review this because thousands already have. Good book though. I liked it. Nice and long. Good story. so old its almost part of history.
Jon Christopher,
Jon Christopher, rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Dann Restrepo
Dann Restrepo rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
  • Greek Lyric Poetry
  • Aeneid: Books I-VI
  • Anthology of Classical Myth
  • Ion
  • The Oxford Classical Dictionary
  • The Oracle: Ancient Delphi and the Science Behind Its Lost Secrets
  • Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns, Epic Cycle, Homerica (Loeb Classical Library #57)
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • Greek Grammar
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon
  • Anabasis 1-4
  • The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood
  • Gods, Demons and Symbols of Ancient Mesopotamia: An Illustrated Dictionary
In the Western classical tradition, Homer (Greek: Όμηρος) is considered the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, and is revered as the greatest of ancient Greek epic poets. These epics lie at the beginning of the Western canon of literature, and have had an enormous influence on the history of literature.
When he lived is unknown. Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before his own time,
More about Homer...