Blank-133x176
Trotzkider Verratene R...

Bertrand M. Patenaude

Trotzkider Verratene Revolutionär

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  25 reviews

In Trotsky: Downfall of a Revolutionary, Stanford University lecturer Bertrand M. Patenaude tells the dramatic story of Leon Trotsky's final years in exile in Mexico. Shedding new light on Trotsky s tumultuous friendship with painter Diego Rivera, his affair with Rivera s wife Frida Kahlo, and his torment as his family and comrades become victims of the Great Terror, Trots

Published October 27th 2010 (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Trotzkider Verratene Revolutionär, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trotzkider Verratene Revolutionär

Jeffrey Keeten
”Trotsky may have looked the part of the Red warlord, yet he had no military background. In fact as war commissar he rarely involved himself in questions of strategy or operations, leaving this to the experts. He reserved for himself the role of supreme agitator, and because he was as ruthless as he was ubiquitous, often resorting to bloodcurdling threats to achieve results, he acquired a reputation for brutality, most of all for his merciless treatment of deserters.”

photo YoungTrotsky_zpse1635070.jpg
Young Trotsky

Leon Trotsky b...more
Jeff Lanter
I picked this up knowing nothing about Trotsky, but hoping to learn more about the Revolutionary. I think that changed what I enjoyed in this book versus someone who is well-versed in the man and his philosophy. It took me a little while to get him figured out. Trotsky was a very serious and intellectual person. While he deserves a great deal of credit for some things, he also had flaws as a person and especially as a politician. All of these become clearer as I read through the book. Downfall o...more
Riley
The second of three recent Trotsky biographies that I bought, this book focuses on his prisoner-like final years in Mexico. It is very well written and does a good job of weaving from Coyoacan to other signature moments of his life. Trotsky's legacy is a difficult one for me. It is clear his dream for human redemption was flawed indeed, yet his humanity was also very clear.

I underlined this passage, about a postscript to a will he wrote not long before he was assassinated:

"As he wrote these line...more
Gale Jake
A book worth reading to look at some of the specific Trotsky incidents in the overall history of USSR. It rides along on a barely recognizable continuum through the book, but many sections are very confusing chronologically. Car beyond the typical flashback. In one chapter an individual is killed, a couple chapters later he is alive then dead again later on. The book advances in time but the out of sequence events lay a rugged framework over a thin foundation. Huge numbers of major and minor pol...more
John Maniscalco
This book is ostensibly an accounting of Leon Trotsky's final three years of exile in Mexico and his eventual assassination. In reality, this books provides quite a unique overview of Trotsky the man - his ideals, morals, and character. While unexpected, it was a pleasant surprise to read a more substantive study of the Russian Revolution's fallen idol rather than a mere tabloid retelling of Trotsky's love affairs and eventual murder.

Trotsky was a brilliant man, a man of ideas and of action. It...more
jill
Stylistically, I didn't love this book. It shifted back and forth between Trotsky's final months in Mexico and the rest of his life, in a way that I found to be confusing and a little haphazard. I think it was an attempt to avoid the dry "thesis" trap that a lot of books written by historians fall into, but it didn't work for me. That said, Patenaude excels in the things I love about history books -- he chooses fantastic ancedotes and quotations to highlight, and his endnotes are extensive.

I ha...more
Jason
Well written history of Trotsky during his exile years in Mexico up until his untimely death. The book has flashbacks to the past revolution and previous exiles but are done in a way that enhances the story line. The book reads more like a novel and less like a well researched history book, so your always wanting to read on to see what happens next. Also I thought the book was written very nonpartisan so the reader can examine the facts and determine the opinion on his/ her own. Also the charact...more
Robert Clancy
Leon Trotsky, aka Lev Davidovich Bronstein, peaked in October, 1917. It was all downhill from there. Stalin hated him but cloddishly let him escape his clutches. He pursued him from 1929 until he caught up with him in 1940 in Mexico City.
The remarkable facts of Trotsky's exile are worth learning: Sponsored in Mexico by Diego Rivera; had an affair with Rivera's wife Frida Kahlo; a phalanx of American Trotskyite bodyguards; his children murdered by the GPU (KGB); his ties to the American Teamsters...more
Mark
This was a very interesting and readable account of Trotsky's last years. I don't know much about the man, but nevertheless, the book was quite readable and has compelled me to learn more about him.

Ultimately, Trotsky's life reminds me of a Shakespearean tragedy: he was a man of singular genius, but also with deep personal flaws that hindered him from holding his own against Stalin. In the end, not only did he die in exile in Mexico, but he also had to live with the loss of most of his family an...more
Erez Davidi
“Trotsky: Downfall of a Revolutionary” is an interesting account of Trotsky’s last few years of life while in exile in Mexico. This book offers a good combination of all the ingredients that make a good biography; it offers glimpses into Trotsky’s daily life, his character, a deeper discussion of his political philosophy and a bigger picture overview to provide context. Since I am not very familiar with Trotsky’s life, perhaps this wasn’t the best choice for me, because this biography chiefly fo...more
Mike Oberholtzer
As a novice to modern Russian history, I felt Patenaude produced a work that was not only entertaining, but explained itself well enough to stand on it's own. His use of the more distant past intermingled with Trotsky's final few years acted as a storytelling device that gave incredible continuity and insight into some of the behaviors and actions of the former war commissar.

I have no qualms about recommending this to anyone interested in the Old Man.
Bhaskar Sunkara
Well-researched, well-written (reads like a novel)... very surprising coming from a Hoover Institute guy.

Garbles a few facets of Trotsky's thought and misrepresents Lenin, but Patenaude's intentions are honest.

There hasn't been a better account of the Old Man's final years, "The Prophet Outcast" included.
Christan
I really enjoyed this one. Trotsky is on my list of favorite tragic figures from history. It's the tragic figures that I relate to, they are the ones who call to me. And I'm sorry, but no one deserves an icepick to the brain (besides Hitler that is).
Josh
Engaging telling of a crazy story, focusing on Trotsky's final years in Mexico and the Soviet plot to kill him. Fascinating cast of characters, including Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, John Dewey, and the male honeypot NKVD agent who eventually killed Trotsky.
Jason Walker
Trotsky is one of those enigmatic figures - is it truth and beauty? or is it all lies? So far this book doesn't attempt to dispell all the contradictions, settling in for a the rest of the history lesson according to Mr. Patenaude.
Jemera Rone
Very informative and fascinating. Although I read it initially for the story of his sojourn in Mexico, I learned much more than that. It especially helped me understand the comtext of my former husband's (1964-66) political orientation.
Trostky living in Mexico with Diego Rivera, way more comfortable than the locals, and having an affair with his host's wife. He was starting to really annoy me, although I'm not sure that was the author's point.
David

Excellent. Incredible details. This is by a man with the Hoover Institution (rightwing outfit). I was intrigued by blurbs by both conservatives and leftists (from the Trotskyist tradition).
Norma
Good book to read after "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver. Supports everything in Kingsolver's book re Trotsky's time in Mexico and relationship w/Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.
Michael Kocher
A brilliant portrait of a brilliant man as he faces his mortality. Patenaude does not seek to demonize or idolize Trotsky and acknowledges all his strengths and weaknesses.
Drtaxsacto
I was always interested in what happened to Trotsky in Mexico. This book begins with him being expelled from Russia but then chronicles his time in Mexico.
Cory
Very well written. The whole books flows beautifully. Trotsky is a rather interesting fellow, I would have hated to be in his shoes.
Paulrus
Sympathetic take on Trotsky, mostly focusing on his years in Mexico with the occasional flashback to an earlier portion of his life.
I didn't think this book was particularly well-organized. At times it was difficult to follow.
The Hancock
Wonderful! Seemingly well researched and detailed but it reads like fast-paced fiction.
Jim Russell
Jim Russell marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Maria Fuentes
Maria Fuentes marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Julian Sherrington
Julian Sherrington marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Stalin's Nemesis: The Exile and Murder of Leon Trotsky The Big Show in Bololand: The American Relief Expedition to Soviet Russia in the Famine of 1921 A Wealth of Ideas: Revelations from the Hoover Institution Archives The Russian Revolution War, Revolution, and Peace in Russia: The Passages of Frank Golder, 1914-1927