Start by marking “Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington #12)” as Want to Read:
Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington #12)

Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington #12)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  4,766 ratings  ·  150 reviews
The Star Kingdom of Manticore and the Republic of Haven have been enemies for Honor Harrington's entire life, and she has paid a price for the victories she's achieved in that conflict. And now the unstoppable juggernaut of the mighty Solarian League is on a collision course with Manticore. The millions who have already died may have been only a foretaste of the billions o...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Baen (first published June 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mission of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission of Honor

Jim
While an interesting addition to the Honor series, Weber is getting far too wordy for my taste. The universe has expanded a lot, so it does require more points of view & explanation, but I think he's going too far. There were a lot of long meetings between characters. I avoid meetings in real life. They're certainly not the stuff of which my fantastic dreams are made of, so their sheer number were a disappointment.

Weber tries to capture some immediacy with a lot of little sections from the...more
Andreas
Book 12 in the “main” Honor Harrington series finds Manticore finally confronting the Solarian League. As Weber has been hinting at for years, Manticore (and to a lesser degree, Haven) have both achieved very significant technological superiority compared to the league with regards to military hardware. The Solarian League is huge and powerful, but also complacent, arrogant, and full of self-delusion. Added to the mix is the growing threat from Mesa/Manpower. The main action in this book is divi...more
Ron
Dec 16, 2013 Ron rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ron by: Jon Moss
Weber is on a roll. I hesitate to award this book five stars because of the way it ends but the story doesn't. But, as any Honor Harrington reader who has gotten this far in the series knows, "If you can't take a joke. . . ."

Now that his new threat has found traction, Weber has left the mind-numbing recapitulations behind and forged into new plot territory. The action is varied, interwoven and galactic.

A good read.
Christopher
Allan
Mission of Honor is the twelfth book in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. The story takes place right after Storm in the Shadows and At All Costs. In At All Costs Honor and her eighth fleet have smashed the Havenite navy and the war between both star nations is over. The only thing left is to finally have a treaty between them. In the Talbott cluster, Admiral Michel Henke has just defeated a squadron of the Solarian navy, and the Solarians are not happy about it.

Throughout the history...more
Kathy Davie
First read 24 Nov 2010.
I do like to catch up with all the books in a series. On the other hand, I hate to catch up when I'm dying to know what's gonna happen next.

Gawd, there is so much happening on so many fronts in Mission of Honor and I was so terrified at what would happen I couldn't decide if I should tear through the book or set it aside every few chapters to stave off the bad news.
While this particular story is supposedly about Honor with her diplomatic mission to Haven, the honors were...more
Josh
The is the 12th outing in the Honor Harrington series, which has grown to the point that it's spawned short story collections and off-shoots elsewhere into the same universe. I was addicted to these for a while, but book 10 was disappointing and book 11 was even worse so I'd kind of given up.

The book made me happy to be back.

One of the biggest problems I was having with the series is at a certain point characters like this run out of places to go that have the same kind of action of the earlier...more
Poliwalk
This book was false advertising in my mind. It claims to be the 12th book in the Honor Harrington series but really it's another worlds of Honor book with her making a few appearances in some of the chapters. I'd be fine with that if the book jacket, cover, etc. made that point apparent. Moreover, this book has moved so far away from everything I loved about the early books. There is very little of the great action scenes and fun character interaction. Instead, almost the entire book is devoted...more
Barbara
My oh my, when Weber wraps up a long running story arc he does it in style. For long time fans of the series--this is the book we have been waiting for. Finally the truth about the doctored documents (War of Honor,2002), the assassination of Ambassador Webster, the attempted assassinations of Queen Berry and Honor (At All Costs, 2005) are laid out during peace negotiations between Haven and Manticore. Finally, the leaders of both countries wake up and smell the coffee, as it were, regarding the...more
Chuck
Alaina
Okay, the series is still entertaining, I'll give the author that. But several books ago it started getting too damn complicated for its own good, and this book is a perfect example of that. Weber seems to be running out of ideas and therefore resorts to introducing bigger and badder superweapons, more devastating battles with the Worst! Casualties! Ever! (including the deaths of even more of our favorite characters, just to keep us "invested"), and insanely Byzantine and improbable conspiracies...more
Jim
From Publishers Weekly

Weber (Storm from the Shadows) combines realistic, engaging characters with intelligent technological projection and a deep understanding of military bureaucracy in the long-awaited 12th Honor Harrington novel. The long war between the Star Empire of Manticore and the Republic of Haven is in its death throes, and the Manties are poised to win. Honor, now a duchess and admiral of the Manticore Empire and one of the few imperial leaders to believe that the Republic's new le

Tony Hisgett
This is the worst Honor Harrington novel I have read.

It reminds me of many American TV series that start out great, then the writers run out of ideas so they introduce the most bizarre and stupid characters and plotlines in an effort to cover up they have no idea what they are doing. If this fails then simply kill off as many characters as you can in the hope that this will distract the audience so they don’t realise you have haven’t a clue what you are doing.

This book has too many plotlines tha...more
Hillary
oh david weber. i enjoy your plotting (although the politics is getting old) and yet I skip probably a quarter of the book. way too many characters who aren't central to the story.

although at 600 pages this is shorter than some of the recent ones.

also, the Honor Harrington plots have gone downhill since he ran out of Horatio Nelson. He should have killed her off as originally planned. Probably not the best move revenue wise, but the new books haven't been nearly as good as the older ones.
Tracy
Ugh. For an "Honor Harrington" book she was hardly freaking in it. This could have been 200-300 pages less, or had more content about the main characters of the series, and it would have been MUCH better. I'm ashamed to say that I skimmed nearly all the sections with the Solarian League and barely gave more attention to the stuff with Gold Peak - and I actually like her.

Very disappointed. I even took a break from the series before reading this one so I wouldn't be burned out.
Henry Neufeld
It's David Weber and it's Honor Harrington. That's enough for me. I know some people are tired of all the political talk and the repetitions, but Weber is still on my "read everything he writes immediately" list.
Dave Musicant
I gave up about halfway through, which is the same thing I did in the last book (Storm from the Shadows). Too disjointed and not enough of a plot I could make sense out of. Since this book was supposed to be at least an Honor Harrington "mainline" book, I hoped for more, but she appears very little in it. And it's still true that she's such a friggin' superwoman at this point that she's no longer compelling, which is likely why she doesn't appear very often. But then who is the book about? A who...more
J.L. Dobias
Apr 26, 2014 J.L. Dobias rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SFF Political Military Procedural fans must love expostition
Shelves: book-shelf-10
Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington Series #12) by David Weber

This piece is the crowning of a three book arc that leads into the next arc of stories in the never-ending story of Honor Harrington. David apparently had originally meant to kill off this main character somewhere along the line but she's a bit more stubborn than that and just like all Manticorans - they don't 'run scared' worth a damn.

There is a lot to love about this book as long as you are okay with all the political and military pr...more
An Odd1
* "Mission of Honor" by David Weber is called a space opera, I guess, because like a soap opera, they talk talk talk around secrets, and go nowhere. Narrative jumps around three combatants tricked into space war, the slaver (?) betrayers, and components thereof. Multi-world Solarian League is set against longer-range guns of Honor's planet Manticore, already engaged, victorious, against now-democratic planet Haven with also superior weapons. Each chapter is a different meeting or discussion in a...more
***Dave Hill
Jul 05, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: space opera fans
Shelves: text
The latest in the Honorverse series by Weber, it's both an improvement (by bringing some of the key characters back into focus) and another treading-water-interim novel (between major changes in action). Major plots (both the author's and various covert forces) are advanced, battles are fought, long-time cast members die (mostly, alas, offstage), more cast members are introduced ...

Indeed, one of the problems with the Honorverse storyline is that it has become so complicated, with so many charac...more
Juan D. Mendez
"Starring Honor Harrington": well, HH actually appears only in about 1/5 of the 600 pages of this novel, and then only in peripheral scenes - not the action battle scenes where she has shone in the previous books and which make her such an interesting character. The book felt bloated to me, this one is just missing "To Be Continued" at the end. Yes, one of the major plot points from the entire series appears to have been resolved (at last!), but I have a suspicion I'll be proven wrong... And I c...more
Edward
After slogging through the previous two books, mostly due to the excellent narration work of Allyson Johnson on the audiobooks, I was about ready to give up on this series. Still, I had enough interest in the characters and the end of the last book to give the series another go. And, boy did that pay off. Much like Robert Jordan, Weber finds his way out of the wandering wilderness of the last couple of books to get back on a full stride with this story.

The stakes are higher than ever, the enemie...more
Liviu
Baen published an e-arc of Mission of Honor on 2/2 and I bought it that evening and stayed until 4 am to finish it and then I reread it the next day and I have to say that Mission of Honor was the book I wanted to a large extent and together with Storm from the Shadows to which it's a completion and the side-novel Torch of Freedom which is also essential here, it represents the hinge of the Honorverse in the way At All Costs represented the end of its first part.

Very well plotted and flowing s...more
Zachary
Really solid book. This book brings together the story lines of the four different books that took place right before, during, and after War of Honor. Those are Shadow of Saganami, Storm from the Shadows, Crown of Slaves, and Torch of Freedom. To really understand everything that is unfolding in the Honorverse you need to read all of them before reading this book.

The book itself is much more focused on the political maneuvering and sparring that is taking place than the battles. Where War of Hon...more
Lindsey
Strangely good. This was a departure from the typical Honor Harrington novel. We got so little of Honor herself, either in page length or in in-depth thought. There was even a lack of the typical "Honor at home" scene that usually kicks off these books.

Yet despite all that, this novel moved the Honorverse plot forward considerably. We now have a solid grasp on the Alignment's strategy and (view spoiler). After the events of this nove...more
Holly
Jan 13, 2012 Holly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of previous Honor books
It's a typical Weber work, with his usual style of writing, interesting plot, complex political machinations, and large cast of characters. However, it is not my favorite of the Honor books. My issue . . . I love character-focused books, and while this does focus on Honor in some places, her presence is missed in others. (This is an issue I've had with his books in the past.) Furthermore, she is not in as many do or die scenes- the scenes where she truly shines. The emotional impact of the story...more
Matthew Walker
I have loved David Weber's Honorverse since I first picked it up years ago. It's an amazingly well crafted universe that is full of intricate plots and well developed characters that actually feel real.

So of course, I picked up this one as soon as I could. I love the books leading up to it, and I was sure I would enjoy this one. I wasn't disappointed. This may be the best Honor book yet. Although that's a tough decision to make, given how many excellent books there /are/ in this series.

Without s...more
Mike
Mission of Honor marks David Weber’s twelth main entry into the Honorverse as it’s known amongst fans; though it is in truth a follow up to Storm from the Shadows; which Baen is marketing as a Disciples of Honor novel. Mission of Honor returns the titular character to the forefront though the sprawling events of the novel indicate that Weber’s Honorverse has become increasingly informed by his work on the Safehold series; a fact that is something of a double-edged sword. Some spoilery summary oc...more
Thurman
I'm I just finished re-reading this book.

The whole series is great. I really only have a few comments:

1. You really need to learn the characters. Unlike most books there are about 50 major characters. And since there are 4 major "nations", there are hundreds of minor characters. I always pay special attention to chapter breaks to make sure that I know when and where we are now.

2. I think the books have gotten a little confusing. If you read them in order during a short period of time you should...more
Ed
#12 in the Honor Harrington series. Resuming after a five year hiatus, the series follow the fortunes of Honor Harrington after the decisive military victory against the Republic of Haven that ended At All Costs (2005). Two attacks by Solarian admirals against Manticore naval elements are soundly defeated. Honor visits Haven to arrange a peace treaty and negotiations are going well until she is recalled. An unknown enemy has stealthily attacked the Manticore system orbital shipyards, completely...more
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Victorious (The Lost Fleet, #6)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name...more
More about David Weber...
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)

“Hamish Alexander-Harrington knew his wife as only two humans who had both been adopted by a pair
of mated treecats ever could. He'd seen her deal with joy and with sorrow, with happiness and with fury,
with fear, and even with despair. Yet in all the years since their very first meeting at Yeltsin's Star, he
suddenly realized, he had never actually met the woman the newsies called "the Salamander." It wasn't his
fault, a corner of his brain told him, because he'd never been in the right place to meet her. Never at the
right time. He'd never had the chance to stand by her side as she took a wounded heavy cruiser on an
unflinching deathride into the broadside of the battlecruiser waiting to kill it, sailing to her own death, and
her crew's, to protect a planet full of strangers while the rich beauty of Hammerwell's "Salute to Spring"
spilled from her ship's com system. He hadn't stood beside her on the dew-soaked grass of the Landing
City duelling grounds, with a pistol in her hand and vengeance in her heart as she faced the man who'd
bought the murder of her first great love. Just as he hadn't stood on the floor of Steadholders' Hall when
she faced a man with thirty times her fencing experience across the razor-edged steel of their swords,
with the ghosts of Reverend Julius Hanks, the butchered children of Mueller Steading, and her own
murdered steaders at her back.
But now, as he looked into the unyielding flint of his wife's beloved, almond eyes, he knew he'd met the
Salamander at last. And he recognized her as only another warrior could. Yet he also knew in that
moment that for all his own imposing record of victory in battle, he was not and never had been her
equal. As a tactician and a strategist, yes. Even as a fleet commander. But not as the very embodiment of
devastation. Not as the Salamander. Because for all the compassion and gentleness which were so much
a part of her, there was something else inside Honor Alexander-Harrington, as well. Something he himself
had never had. She'd told him, once, that her own temper frightened her. That she sometimes thought she
could have been a monster under the wrong set of circumstances.
And now, as he realized he'd finally met the monster, his heart twisted with sympathy and love, for at last
he understood what she'd been trying to tell him. Understood why she'd bound it with the chains of duty,
and love, of compassion and honor, of pity, because, in a way, she'd been right. Under the wrong
circumstances, she could have been the most terrifying person he had ever met.
In fact, at this moment, she was .
It was a merciless something, her "monster"—something that went far beyond military talent, or skills, or
even courage. Those things, he knew without conceit, he, too, possessed in plenty. But not that deeply
personal something at the core of her, as unstoppable as Juggernaut, merciless and colder than space
itself, that no sane human being would ever willingly rouse. In that instant her husband knew, with an icy
shiver which somehow, perversely, only made him love her even more deeply, that as he gazed into those
agate-hard eyes, he looked into the gates of Hell itself. And whatever anyone else might think, he knew
now that there was no fire in Hell. There was only the handmaiden of death, and ice, and purpose, and a
determination which would not— couldnot—relent or rest.
"I'll miss them," she told him again, still with that dreadful softness, "but I won't forget. I'll never forget,
and one day— oneday, Hamish—we're going to find the people who did this, you and I. And when we
do, the only thing I'll ask of God is that He let them live long enough to know who's killing them.”
4 likes