Start by marking “Knight of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Knight of Darkness

Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon #2)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,203 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
For countless centuries, I've been the assassin for the infamous Merlin, even though the woman who birthed me sits at the right hand of our enemy, Morgen le Fey. Now both my mother and Morgen have decided that it's time I take my place on their side of this conflict.

Normally, telling them no wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that the good guys I protect think that
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Knight of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight of Darkness

Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Lords of Avalon series by Kinley MacGregor. Varian duFey swore allegiance to Merlin but has never been accepted by the other knights. Merlin sends him to collect the body of a tortured and murdered knight and runs into his "beloved" mother, Narishka duFey. She kicked him out as a child but now has decided he has a use. So she tries to convince Varian to return to the evil Camelot and serve Morgan le Fey. When he shows a kindness to an old crone it gives his mother an idea ...more
valee
This installment wasn't as good as the first one for sure. What I loved the most about the first one was the amazing plot, the great main characters as well as the secondary, and their personalities. You had a very brave and strong warrior who was supposed to be the most evil creature but once he met his heroine he just simply loved her and was able to change. I know it may sound corny but it really wasn't because it was amazingly written.

But this story was cheesy. It was like reading a mix with
Gina
Apr 21, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it! To quote again: Unputdownable! In the first chapter, I was instantly hooked, and I had a damn hard time trying to put this book down! The characters have distinct personalities, especially Varian, and I loved the banter between characters. I loved his 'take shit from no one' attitude, it suited him well. And the way he instigates... this book makes you laugh while holding your breath to see what happens next. And darn it, after checking out her website, I didn't realize that ...more
Melinda
This is the second book in the Lords of Avalon series by Kinley MacGregor also known as Sherrilyn Kenyon. I don’t believe there are any more books in the series but the idea and at least one of the characters (Blaise) are continued in the last two books that were released of the Dark-Hunter series, Son of No One and Dragonbane.

Long ago, the realms of Avalon and Camelot were separated from the realm of man. After King Arthur was defeated and killed, the evil Morgen Le Fey took over Camelot while
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Gary
Dec 10, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first installment but still very much worth the read four stars for this one
Susan (susayq ~)
I really, really, really liked this! In fact, I liked it more than the first one in the series. It had me laughing so hard in some parts...like when Merewyn fell into the pit of despair and was sooo woeful and complaining, or when Blaise was quoting Monty Python's Holy Grail (and he's a Holy Grail Knight who can time travel and that's how he knows Monty Python). There's a good moral lesson in this - to look past the appearance and into the heart of a person to judge them and love them.

I look for
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I have to laugh... Even on the first page, there was a total flub, although FUNNY AS HELL!

In a historical romance, I never imagined one of the charaters would say "No Shit, Sherlock!" That would be a "Duh" comment geared towards someone stating the obvious deduction with sarcasm toward their brilliance noting the Sherlock Holmes Jab. Not some King Arthur character?? I loved it, though, and it started the book off great for me!

Just another peaceful quick romance fix to fill time. Worth the minu
Mara
Mar 24, 2013 Mara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
The mix of pseudo-arturian lore, chick-lit cheesyness and pnr wasn't to my tastes. The resulting dish wasn't sure what it wanted to be.

There's nothing of the bad-ass antihero the blurb promised. The plot was weak (as it lacked the foundation on which to be build, namely a story. There were only glimpses of it.)

I can't even say it was steamy < grin >. And I agree the never-ending quotes were annoying.
Shadowstorm Norwicca
Where do I start? The Lords of Avalon series I would have to say is the best spin on Arthurian myth thus fair. This book brought so many emotions. I wanted to cry, I was laughing, and just gripping the book with angry. Varian DuFey son of Sir Lancelot and the Adoni Narishka right hand women to the Morgen Le Fey (all around evil bad ass). He has been through hell and back with his upbringing and being a Knight of Roundtable. He walks on the edge of the light and the darkness. Then comes a women w ...more
Yelania Nightwalker
Me encantó de principio a fin, sobe todo por la aparición de Blaise de nuevo y cómo no, de la rocágula, amé a esa cosita.

La relación entre Varian y Merewyn fue de lo más curiosa y aunque un poco ñoña, terminó gustándome.

Aunque el libro se puede leer de manera completamente independiente del anterior y de hecho, lo último que sucede en aquél, no tiene nada que ver con lo que pasa aquí, en Knight of Darkness sucede cierta cosa cerca del final (un alguien), que jamás se explica después y la verda
Jacqueline
Nov 30, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a TRULY unique plot
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; discovered Sherri on my own
Julie
May 10, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Arthurian legend, magic and romance - all stuff I like and brought together in a readable way. The book is second in a series. I read this one first, but book #1 is much better. The explanation of the world/setting is not very clear. I was left wondering about the knights' use of modern slang and the constant Monty Python references until a good way into the book. (The first book of the series eases the reader into the world in a much more absorbable manner.) The Monty Python and the Holy Grail ...more
Mary
Sep 26, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Tatiana
Jul 05, 2014 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó este libro!!! He de decir que no sabía que esperar de los Señores de Avalon, pero la Sherry-Kinley siempre me sorprende, en el buen sentido de la palabra.
Ha creado personajes fantásticos y un argumento que te engancha de principio a fin. Varian todo un caballero que se ha logrado enfrentar a los dos lados de su naturaleza y ha encontrado el equilibrio, me encantaba las bromas y los dialogos con Blaise; la mandragora Blaise es genial, super amena y graciosa. Merewyn la protagonista no
Denise
Oct 01, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance
I liked the first book better. She took liberties in using 20th century slang in this book but never really told us why. If I hadn't read the first book I wouldn't have known that they can time travel although they didn't do any in this book. I thought it was lazy of her to use so much slang and not stick with the 'talk' of the times the stroy was set in. These books are an intersting take on the Kinght's of the Round Table, Avalon, and King Authur.
Ning

แตฉากหลัง .. เมือภัยมาถึงตัว กจะเกิดอาการเหนแกตัวหนอย ๆ

ตัวประกอบรอบขาง ตลกฮากันไปตลอดเรือง
กอานไดเพลิน ๆ ดีคะ
ErinReadsTooMuch
Apr 25, 2011 ErinReadsTooMuch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an author of the month reading challenge, and I found a new author I love!! This book was great! The characters were likable, the banter was witty, it was a nice mix of modern/historical/fantasy/romance. How could you not like that? What really sold me was the Monty Python references and quotes in a Camelot/Avalon setting. Awesome. I am definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series!!
Denni
Nov 20, 2008 Denni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I enjoy some of this authors other work, this is my first and probably last Lords of Avalon. Author introduces some fun characters, but they don't develope well. Characters not very likable, plot is shallow, Monty Python & Spamalot references are tedious. More a spoof than real novel. About half of this book is all I'm going to be able to tolerate.
Adriana
Feb 17, 2016 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy
This book is full of great world building and even better characters. Varian is an excellent leading man and any book with Blaise’s dry sarcasm in it is always fun.
The only thing that bothered me a little was how mushy it could get at times. There’s a fine line between romantic and saccharine, and Kenyon toed it many a time in this volume.
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
I am in love with Varian. This book was so far my favourite! I loved the story, the characters and the ending! Everything about it was fun and exciting to read. It was very sweet story with a lot of love between Varian and Mewryn! Can't wait to read the next book! ;)
L8blmr
May 25, 2015 L8blmr rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't trust myself, so I checked. Though it's almost impossible to believe, this book was written by the same show wrote Born in Sin, one of my favorite historical romances featuring a hero with a tortured soul. This story, by comparison, almost reads like a spoof. Granted, this is the second book in a series and I didn't read the first one, which may have made certain elements of the plot more clear (like time travel, perhaps, which would account for the Monty Python references and modern sl ...more
AL
Sep 27, 2014 AL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. This is Varian's and Merewyn's story. Varian is the son of Lancelot and Narishka (an Adoni) and Merewyn is a human princess who wanted to escape from marriage to an old kind man. One night she made a bargain with an Adoni and that Adoni was Varian's mother, Narishka. She is evil and right hand to Morgen. Let's just say Merewyn was trapped with Narishka for centuries but when Varian and Merewyn met, their story became full of awesomeness. We get to meet Emrys, Nimue, the valley where ...more
Joana V.
Nov 07, 2015 Joana V. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, inglês
Review completa em: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2015/...

4.5*

Knight of Darkness é o segundo livro da série Lords of Avalon. Aqui encontramos Variant e algumas personagens como Blaise (o nosso dragão) e alguns cavaleiros da távola redonda. A história de Variant, muito como a de Kerrigan, é feita para apelar ao nosso instinto protector: temos o filho de Lancelot e da sua esposa que odeiam o filho por algo que ele não é, criando assim uma criança que suspeita de tudo e de todos, que acaba por se
Amy Softa
Dec 31, 2014 Amy Softa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-paper
I have mixed feelings about this book. I’m not sorry I read it, but I wasn’t excited about the story. I almost gave it a two star rating, but after the halfway mark it did have some scenes that really worked for me and ended up boosting my star count for the title.

This was another book written by Ms. Kenyon under a pen name, and while I can see her in the text I can totally understand why they went that way when releasing this book. The last one I read, Sword of Darkness, was more similar to her
Katelyn (Just Another Bad Hair Day)
One word: hilarious! I absolutely loved this book! It started on the very first page with an assasin of Merlin's (the new Merlin) biting wit and sarcasm.

"There is a traitor amoung us"..."No shit, Sherlock. There is always a traitor among us."

Okay, so I should probably start with what this story is about. This story is about what truly happened to Camelot and how the struggle between good and evil continues to this day. Merlin is not the crusty old man we remember advising Arthur and Camelot is
Chelsea
There are so many things I loved about this book. Varian is a man that was born on the side of evil but has sworn his allegiance to Merlin to help innocents. His mother is a nasty woman that wanted nothing to do with her son when he was younger, but not that he's a fierce warrior, feared by many she now has use for him. She wants him to join Morgan's hellish army, Varian wants his mother to go to hell. When Varian shows kindness to an unfortunate looking woman, his mother gets an idea.
Merewyn us
Jan 26, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really sure what I feel about this story.

I like it, but I didn't feel it was as good as the first book.

It was really the plot I had a problem with; it built to a pretty lame and rushed ending to be honest. I think the ending could have been flushed out a bit more and better explained.

And, I don't think the story matched the description on the back of the book. I really didn't feel that animosity between Varian and Merewyn throughout the book that the description seemed to hint at. Sure, Var
Pixelinchen
Lenz
Nov 26, 2013 Lenz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-as-fuck
This second installment of Lords Of Avalon truly is amazing. Very well written. Varian is a GREAT hero! I love him. Deeeeep. Scarred. Cold. Definitely evil. But then Merewyn happens and all seemed to click. Love the plot. Beauty and the Beast themed in a twisted way. Characters are sooo lovable. Lines are sarcastically written. Page-effin-page-turner. XD XDD

I find the whole premise of the series truly engaging. Looking forward to more of these Arthurian Legend. XDD

PS. Love love love BLAISE since
  • Phantom in the Night (B.A.D. Agency, #2)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #8.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8.5; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #2; Highlander, #8)

Lords of Avalon (5 books)
  • Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1)
  • Son of No One (Dark-Hunter, #24; Hellchaser, #5; Were-Hunter, #8, Lords of Avalon, #3)
  • Dragonbane  (Dark-Hunter #25; Lords of Avalon, #4; Were-Hunter, #9, Hellchaser, #6)
  • Dragonmark (Dark-Hunter, #26; Dragons Rising, #1; Lords of Avalon, #5)

“One day your prince will come. Mine took a wrong turn, got lost, and is too stubborn to ask for directions.” 104 likes
“See!” she snapped at him. “You men are all brutish. You force your strength and will on us as if we matter for naught and then you wonder why we don’tlike ”—she spat the word at him—“you. Really? Is it any wonder? Why would any woman want to subject herself to the male ego? Why?”

She looked down at his body as a sudden heat came into her gaze that made him instantly nervous. “Sure, you’re a handsome beastie with kissable lips when they’re not bleeding. You’re fair in form with big, bulging—” He actually cringed in fear of the word “cock” coming out of her mouth again, but luckily she averted her thoughts as her gaze met his.

For the first time the despair left her voice. “Your eyes are so beautiful.” She ran one finger over his brow, making him instantly hard for her. “Did you know that?” Then the gloomy tone returned as she dropped her hand from his face. “Of course you do. You’re a worthless man. Just like all the others.”

“Yeah,” Blaise teased. “You’re worthless, Varian. And what on him bulges again, Merewyn?”

Varian glared at the mandrake, who merely continued to laugh at him.

“Everything. His arms, his legs, his—”

“Enough, Merewyn,” Varian said from between clenched teeth.

“Well, you do bulge. I’ve seen it.”

“We’ve all seen it,” Merrick said, his voice filled with humor, “And it’s sickening.”

Varian glared at the triplets, especially the ferret, who was laughing and rolling around his brother’s neck. “When she is over this, I’m going to kill all of you.”

Merewyn let out a long-suffering sigh. “Of course you will. That’s what men do. They destroy everything. Everything. Because you’re all worthless whoremongers.”

Varian winced at her choice of words.

“Whoremongers?” Blaise repeated with a laugh.

“Yes. You all go out with your giant lances, spearing anything you can find. Nailing your targets against trees and walls, while you gallop from field to field, bragging over your conquests, uncaring of who you’ve hurt while you quest for more glory.”

“Good gods,” Merrick said, his face horrified. “Is she speaking of what I think she is?”

“Do you mean warmongers?” Varian asked her.

“No! Whoremongers. All of you.” She looked over at the triplets.

“Especially them.”