Start by marking “The Witch's Grave” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Grave
Preview

The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby Mystery #6)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,263 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Cupid has cast his spell on good witch Ophelia Jensen. The practical, pragmatic, law-abiding librarian has just begun letting down her hair with Stephen Larsen, the author of some of the most scandalous crime exposés ever written. It's a match made in the stacks—until the would-be lovers take a quiet countryside stroll, and shots ring out.

A murderer, not magick, made Steph
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Grave

Julie (jjmachshev)
This Shirley Damsgaard series revolves around a witch named Ophelia who keeps getting entangled in mysteries. In the first book, Ophelia is unhappy and unaccepting of her 'powers'. Then with each following book, she grows a little stronger and more confident in her abilities. This sixth book, "The Witch's Grave", has Ophelia coming into a new level of power while experiencing dreams of another, possibly past, life.

Ophelia is happy when she meets a handsome blond stranger and they seem to have a
Library-KAT
Of the ones I have read so far in this series...This has to be my favorite.

Ophelia is finally accepting who & what she is as well as her "gift". Abby is there only as a guide and a sometime companion.

While at a library fund raiser Ophelia (librarian) meets Stephen (literally the man of her dreams), but as he takes her in his arms they are disturbed by crows...and then a near fatal shot that downs Stephen.

As Ophelia goes about her nosing around, other "accidents" befall her, thus forcing her
Rosey
This might be my least favorite so far of the books. It wasn't bad but it lacked the humor of the other books. Also too much was going on between present day and Ophelia's dreams of a women back in Nazi occupied France. This one had a lot of Abby helping out Ophelia which I liked.

Jacki
With some sexy and intimate dreams visiting her lately, Ophelia Jensen is finally turning into an optimist. Then the literal man of her dreams shows up into town...and is immediately shot. Yep, back to the same old, same old for Ophelia.

One reason I love these books is the setting. Being a gal from Central Iowa, I love hearing mention of running into Des Moines for movies and shopping, or seeing the name of my favorite winery owner appear on the page.

I also love these books for Ophelia's relat
Angie Lisle
Shirley Damsgaard has carved a new niche in the market: Appalachian Paranormal Fiction! Being a West Virginia gal, I love how Appalachia figures into the books without all the negative stereotyping that usually goes along with it!

I always have problems getting started with Shirley Damsgaard's books. But once I make it past the first couple of chapters, I fall in love with the characters again (and again). I am sucked in by the storyline and I have a very hard time putting the book down.

I love
⊱ Irena ⊰
3.5
This is definitely better than previous books. It is like I started reading a complete different series. The first five books were either just ok or close to *I like it* category for me, so nothing special. This one is a bit different.

After reading the blurb, I expected Ophelia to be in some kind of relationship with Stephen Larsen. She is not. This: Cupid has cast his spell on good witch Ophelia Jensen. The practical, pragmatic, law-abiding librarian has just begun letting down her hair wi
Vickie
This was as good as I'd hoped it would be. Shirley Damsgaard never lets me down.
Ophelia has met a man at a party and as they take a walk to get to know each other better, he gets shot. Who was the intended target, the man or was it Ophelia?

Abbey is a good guide and mentor for Ophelia and her growing confidence in her abilities. I want to work at Abbey's greenhouse and nursery.....

Paranormal cozies have been on the nightstand lately. It's the neatest mixture of amateur sleuth and supernatural. A
Carol
This wasn’t my favorite in the series. I can’t really put my finger on why. It was a good story, with the present echoing the past, and it was interesting how Damsgaard mangaged to pull all the various thread together. It seemed to lean more toward the magic and supernatural aspects and less toward the actual mystery than previous installments. It just wasn’t quite as gripping, for me. I can’t say this would stand alone, either; you really need to have read the others in the series before starti ...more
Linda
I have enjoyed every book in the Ophelia and Abby series and this one is no exception. Perhaps this one is even the best one so far. Ophelia and her grandmother Abby are both witches- good ones, that is, descended from Appalachian Mountain women who healed with plants and herbs. In this book Ophelia, the town librarian, meets Stephen, an author of true crime tell-all novels, at a fund raising function and is immediately smitten. However, a few minutes later Stephen is shot. Who was the target- S ...more
Ann
Ophelia Jensen is a witch and a librarian. When she attends a library function, she meets a man to whom she finds an instant attraction. When he is shot right after their first kiss, Ophelia begins to have dreams that transport her back to World War II in occupied France. She is a model and is also acting as a resistance operative. Her romance with Henrick, a Swedish diplomat, is questionable. He seems to be using the Nazis as a way to get rich instead of caring about what is happening to the ci ...more
Dee
I discovered these books quite by accident one day. Our local bookstore (Hastings) has cut way back on their mystery collection and there was nothing new by anyone I knew so was browsing through some other less expensive paperbacks. I like mysteries, I find all things paranormal interesting, and the main character is a small town librarian (and I work in a library) so I thought I would give it a read. The books aren't deep, dark and meaningful, but they are a fun read and I even got my mom hooke ...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Mrs E
I did like this one in the series more than earlier books, but I still find myself frustrated with the main character! even frustrated, I really enjoy the characters! this series is very easy to read, I enjoy the characters, and the story moves quickly.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This volume is number six of an excellent series. This volume has Ophelia Jensen instantly falling in love with a man she seems to remember, Author Stephen Larsen. To her amazement, Stephen also seems to remember her but can't figure from where.

As they take a walk to just talk, a shot rings out and Stephen is critically injured. Ophelia tries to understand what is happening and keeps dreaming of the Nazi occupation of Paris. Meanwhile locally, Ophelia tries to find out what Stephen was researchi
Nytetyger
Another in the series, and thankfully, this one left out Tink, her adopted and psychic daughter for the most part, as well as limiting all the "side characters" and letting us really see Ophelia do her thing. The mystery was interesting, but the split in which Ophelia is dreaming herself as a member of the French resistance (a prior life, she discovers) was wonderfully done.

I had little hope for this series after the last outing, feeling it was going down the same road as the Madeline Alt "witch
Agnes J
Was this just blah, or was it me experiencing After Christmas Blahs?
BookNerdette
Mikka
I loved the way she intertwined the past with the present. It was really well done.
M. Johnston
This was an entertaining book. The family is getting a little older and Ophelia is settling nicely into her life. Of course, something goes wrong, a mystery has to be solved. I enjoyed reading this book. It follows the series and is as good to read as the previous ones.
Daffodil
Another wonderful entry in the Ophelia & Abby Mystery series. Ophelia has slowly become more accepting of her powers and it really shows in this entry. It was interesting how the past and present were intertwined in this book. I had the who and why pegged early on in the book, at least I thought I did. Turns out the why details were different than I thought. The ending was also satisfying, Ophelia's decisions about her personal life showed real thoughtfulness. Looking forward to reading book ...more
alicia
This was the best one yet in the series.Ophelia meets a writer at a charity event.They are instamtly pulled into a mysery when walking in the woods together and a shot rings out hitting the author.Now Ophelia must solve the mysery was she the intended victim or was the author.Plus hers dreams are strange and she may be dreaming of herself in a past life? I love this series and this one was the best Ophelia really starts accepting who she is and becomes comfortable in her phychic and witchy ways.
Melissa
Ophelia meets a stranger and he is the man of her dreams. In the previous weeks leading up to meeting Ophelia feels something change taking root within her. But when the stranger gets shot and Ophelia is the next target. Ophelia must embrase her gift and find her own strength.

Great book. It has some of my favorite things in it, past lives. The book is well written and fast pace and blending the past life and reflecting into the future. Nice evening read looking forward to the next one.
Jo
I love this series!
Yeva
Even though I read this installment of the series out of order, I was still able to know what was happening and I didn't feel really out of the loop too much. The story was good, though a little bit predictable. Now, predictability is not always a bad thing, but I hope this doesn't happen in the next story of this series. I've just checked out The Seventh Witch which follows The Witch's Grave. I like the way Ms. Damsgaard writes, and I think this is a fun series.
Bookadventurer
STRUGGLED reading this one. I've said it before, I read cozy mysteries for entertainment, not to be socially enlightened; I had a REALLY hard time with the under-the-table snippets about illegal immigration very early on. Just tired of political riga-ma-roll being inserted into everything. Rita Mae Brown did it, and lost me. Tamar Myers did it, and lost me. To bad, liked the series until this one. New favorite witchy series: Juliet Blackwell's Withcraft Mysteries.
Kelly Russell
Another great Ophelia & Abby story, I really liked this one, probably my favourite so far. Once again well written, lots of detail and finally Ophelia didn't 'trip' over a dead body. Nice twist with the reincarnation link.
Lyra
Another solid entry, but this one didn't resonate with me as much as some of the others. I'm of mixed feelings on the dream subplot. World War II Paris is well researched, but it didn't come alive for me as much as the normal Iowa setting. I liked the character growth in this installment a lot. Both Ophelia and Abby grew into more well rounded beings. Looking forward to the next one.
Ellen Black
This is the best book to date, in Shirley Damsgaard's Ophelia and Abby series. This story intertwines the lives of a small group of people who lived in Paris during the Nazi occupation with the modern-day lives of Ophelia and Abby, two magickal-minded women living in a small town in Iowa.

Each of Damsgaard's books focus on a metaphysical topic. The Witch's Grave focuses on reincarnation.
Ashleydanielle
The Witch's Grave by Shirley Damsgaard is part of a series called Ophelia and Abby mysteries. The story follows Ophelia, a reluctant witch. In this particular novel of the series is all about Ophelia finding her magical heritage and embracing it. The novel is not amazing or over exciting or anything like that but it is a simple mystery to read.
Stephanie
A light simple read, but highly enjoyable. Though this wouldn't win any literary awards I found it highly entertaining and hard to put down. I look forward to reading more books in the Ophelia and Abby series and seeing where their gift of 'magick' takes them. Very cute fluff of a mystery that is a perfect comfort read for any late night occasion.
  • No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Death by Diamonds (A Vintage Magic Mystery #3)
  • Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin #3)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Under a Mystic Moon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #3)
  • Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4)
I’ve read many bios that start with the words “I wanted to be a writer all of my life and wrote my first story at the age of five.” I honestly can’t say that’s true for me—at the age of five, as an only child growing up on a farm, my career goal was to be a princess. Unfortunately, all those positions happened to be filled, so I followed the path so many other women have traveled—marriage, childre ...more
More about Shirley Damsgaard...

Ophelia & Abby Mystery (7 books)
  • Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)
Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1) Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2) Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4) The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3) The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)