Start by marking “The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me” as Want to Read:
The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me

The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,536 Ratings  ·  652 Reviews

Who needs a ladder when you've got a giraffe with an extending neck?

The Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company certainly doesn't. They don't need a pail, either, because they have a pelican with a bucket-sized beak. With a monkey to do the washing and Billy as their manager, this business is destined for success. Now they have their big break -- a chance to clean all 677 windo
Audio, 0 pages
Published February 7th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me, please sign up.

Rahdi Hossain Raahi It's about a small boy who gets along with animals and goes to Duke of Hampshire. The story is simple, a very short one in terms of length, yet it's…moreIt's about a small boy who gets along with animals and goes to Duke of Hampshire. The story is simple, a very short one in terms of length, yet it's very beautiful!(less)

Saoirse Sterling
A short story about a Giraffe, Pelican and Monkey who open up a ladderless window cleaning company, who become friendly with a small boy called Billy. It's full of all the Dahlian humour and whimsy and nonsense, but like always it has a nice serious edge to it.

Very charming, though definitely not his best and quite unsubstantial in reality. In general, it's written as well as all his others but I think the emphasis on the whimsy really helped this particular story, especially since it was more a
MJ Nicholls
Sent to Andrea Messent at Darren and Associates:

Dear Darren & Associates,

It is with some regret that I sit down to write this correspondence. I understand your reluctance to read voluminous missives so I will keep this missive as unchunky as my e-pen allows.

On Sep 4th 2010 I sent to your agency, via recorded delivery, my novel When Bees Attack. I sent this following a verbal agreement between myself and your agent Cariller Cray when I met her at a catered affair for Bernard Share’s eightieth
Librariasaurus
May 20, 2015 Librariasaurus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story! The friendships are great and the duke is a weird eccentric old guy, which I love! Eccentric old people are the best!
I also loved the closing poem:

We have tears in our eyes,
As we wave our goodbyes,
We so loved being with you, we three.
So do please now and then
Come and see us again,
The giraffe and the Pelly and me.

All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that's where we always will be.
No book ever ends
When it's full of your friends
The giraffe and the Pelly a
Minh Trang
May 03, 2016 Minh Trang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Các bạn có thích cửa sổ nhà mình luôn luôn sáng bóng không? Các bạn có thích nhà mình luôn luôn được quét dọn sạch sẽ không? Vậy xin mời các bạn hãy tìm đến “Công ty lau cửa sổ không cần thang” của Hươu cao cô, chim Bồ nông và tôi."

Một đoạn quảng cáo nghe thật là bùi tai :)) 3 con thú dễ thương gồm Hươu cao cổ, Chim bồ nông và Khỉ mua lại một ngôi nhà vốn là tiệm kẹo cũ, sau đó mở công ty lau cửa sổ không cần thang. Một ngày, chúng gặp chú bé Billy và rủ chú nhập hội với mình.

"Công ty" của nhóm
Dean Barber
Oct 29, 2013 Dean Barber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me' by Roald Dahl tells the tale of a young boy named Billy who, whilst staring at a derelict sweet shop dreams that one day he will own his own which would be 'loaded from top to bottom with Sherbet Suckers, and Caramel Fudge and Russian Toffee and Sugar Snorters and Butter Gumballs and thousands and thousands of other glorious things like that'.

One day he finds that the derelict shop has some new residents by the way of a giraffe, pelican and monkey who just so
Hayel Barakat
Dec 29, 2015 Hayel Barakat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hayel by: Haneen Najeh
Shelves: روايات
What a book!

Reminds me of my childhood where simplicity and purity taking place.

A great memory!

“We have tears in our eyes
As we wave our goodbyes,
We so loved being with you, we three.
So do please now and then
Come and see us again,
The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.

"All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that’s where we always will be.
No book ever ends
When it’s full of your friends
The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.”
Prashant
Another short, well illustrated book by Roald Dahl. It's about a kid who after seeing an old closed sweet shop in his neighborhood gets the desire to own it and convert it into the most beautiful sweet shop of his own. One day when he finds out that the house has been bought by a giraffe, a pelican and a monkey , he meets them and they become instant friends. The story goes about how they get to meet a duke and how the boy finally fulfills him dream.

The book is written as if it were a poem. The
Haneen Najeh
Dec 29, 2015 Haneen Najeh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
A wonderful story, it reminded me of a movie which called "Pai" which i watched once.
it was the first experiance with Roald Dahl but definatly it won't be the last

i enjoyed it :)
Karla
Feb 29, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
Three entrepreneurial critters team up with a sweet-tooth little boy to wash windows and happen to bust a criminal in the middle of a burglary. Typical Roald Dahl daftery.

The story itself was 3 stars, but Hugh Laurie's narration made it extra fun. There's something about his voice that is perfectly suited to Dahl's nonsense candy names.
Sagheer Chaudhry
Aug 31, 2015 Sagheer Chaudhry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl’s ‘The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me’ tells the story of a young boy named Billy and his dream to transform an old empty wooden house into a sweet shop that would consist of Sherbet Suckers, Caramel Fudge, Russian Toffee, Sugar Snorters and Butter Gumballs along with many many more different sweets. One day Billy, visited the shop and out of the corner of his eye Billy noticed one of the windows open and out of it appeared a Giraffe. Then a second and third window opened and out them a ...more
Gary
Feb 19, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Billy, a young boy, comes across an old sweet shop which he dreams about renovating. Peering out the windows he finds a giraffe, pelican and monkey. Who are they, Billy wonders?! They are the world’s best window cleaning company of course! After working for the richest man in England, all of the members of the window cleaning company are rewarded individually; Billy’s reward is the purchase of the sweet shop he so long desired.

Throughout their short adventure the characters sing short, catchy so
PurplyCookie
Apr 24, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Have you read this delightful story of the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company? If you haven't, then better snap up this book; so for only a few precious minutes, you can pretend that everything in the world isn't as awful as it seems.

When Billy joins the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company, he gets a lot more than a new job. First he makes three new friends, then it's time to get to work cleaning all 677 windows of the Duke of Hampshire's house. The Duke is not only the most wealthy man in the co
Roos
Feb 06, 2009 Roos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenlit, 2009
Niamh Delahunty
Jun 06, 2012 Niamh Delahunty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story begins with the introduction of a little boy that lives next to an old shut-down building that used to be a candy shop. Then one day he sees that the building has been cleaned up and now has a sign on it "Ladderless Window Cleaning Company". The cleaning company consists of a pelican, a monkey, and a giraffe. And the little boy is whisked away on a window cleaning adventure that in the end makes all his dreams come true.

This is a cute, short novel and one of my favourites from my own
Jerry
Mar 31, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and amusing, with lively illustrations.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This one's pretty tame compared to other Dahl stories. Definitely meant for a younger audience. Nothing evil or creepy or bizarre. Just a sweet story about a giraffe, a pelican, and a monkey who start a window-washing business, and a little boy named Billy who wants to own a candy store. The pelican saves the day for one of their very wealthy customers by catching a thief in his beak. All are richly rewarded for their part in foiling the theft, and Billy gets to fulfill his dream of having a swe ...more
Ravi Gangwani
Mar 21, 2015 Ravi Gangwani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most cutest book I have read since long :)
Siobhan
Ah, Roald Dahl, the soundtrack of my childhood.

I’m fairly certain my entire generation picked up a Dahl book throughout their childhood. Dahl books are great for kids, made up of interesting events which capture the imagination. They’re the kind of books that you can look back on when you’re older and smile as you remember the events which played out, knowing that these are books you’re going to pass on to future generations.

In short, as a large part of my childhood, Dahl is a must read in my ey
Петър Панчев
Мечтата на Били и колоритните животни
(Цялото ревю е тук: https://knijenpetar.wordpress.com/201...)

Лесно се навих за още една книга на Роалд Дал след „Костенурке, костенурке“ (https://knijenpetar.wordpress.com/201...). Предната си беше направо миниатюрна, но с приятна и почти естествена атмосфера. Хлапаците в началните класове със сигурност знаят какво е да те обичат и предполагам, че малката измама-фокус на господин Хопи няма да ги накара да станат по-големи лъжльовци, отколкото им позволява де
Zahara
Apr 27, 2014 Zahara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story about a small boy who yearns to restore the old corner shop into a sweet shop, he befriends a giraffe, a Pelican and a monkey, the new owners of the shop and joins their window cleaning business. From there the Giraffe, the Pelly, the money and Bill are immersed into an adventure on their first cleaning assignment involving capturing a jewel thief.
This book is a less known story by Roald Dahl and is a humorous and engaging story, which encouraged children to continue reading with its pec
Abduraafi Andrian
Sudah empat buku Roald Dahl dan masih ada banyak lagi yang belum dibaca. Aku bertanya-tanya dari mana ide-ide pada setiap cerita yang diangkatnya menjadi buku. Mungkin karena dia sangat menyukai anak-anak hingga hal-hal sederhana dapat menjadi ide cerita. Begitu pun dengan buku ini. Mungkin kegemaran anak-anak akan permen adalah ide ceritanya.

Terlepas dari ide cerita, buku ini memberikan gambaran bahwa menolong orang lain tanpa pamrih itu baik. Bahkan, mungkin saja kau akan mendapat balasan yang
Sep 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl’s books are known and loved for their creative and imaginative storylines, and “The Giraffe and The Pelly and Me” is no exception. This is amongst Roald Dahl’s finest work and I would highly recommend it as it is an enjoyable read for parents and children alike. In comparison to his other books, it is slightly tamer and therefore may be aimed at a slightly younger audience, most likely lower Key Stage Two. In addition, Quentin Blake’s illustrations are instantly recognisable, and char ...more
Melica
Feb 02, 2015 Melica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it when I was 7 or 8 and I loved it, I've dreamed of going to the sweet shop a lot! It's such a sweet story to me!
Michelle
Mar 24, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl's books are the best vehicle for escapism. This story is all about friendship with a speck of magic and fantasy. The characters are strange, doing incredible things that did not really astonish the young proragonist. I'm glad I've already eaten when I reached the end or I would hunt for chocolates. Haha.

"The Globgobbler is an especially delicious sweet that is made somewhere near Mecca, and the moment you bite into it, all the perfumed juices of Arabia go squirting down your gullet o
Cruth
Another novella (around 70 pages) by Roald Dahl with Quentin Blake's humorous illustrations.

The 6yo loved this. A thoroughly enjoyable tale of helping others and being rewarded for good deeds. There's nothing difficult about it and certainly fits into a more expected children's tale - albeit highly original. It has a slight hat tip to Dahl's Chocolate Factory, which nice, and pushing that book up our tbr list.

No female characters, but the male protagonists are fairly gender neutral, so I'm cool
Denise Fitzgerald
Sep 07, 2011 Denise Fitzgerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enchanting story of friendship and dreams that can come true.
Billy is a young boy who dreams of renovating an old wooden house into a wonderful sweet shop when he unexpectedly stumbles upon three new friends, The Giraffe, Pelican and Monkey.They set out on an adventure to clean the Duke of Hampshire's windows at his Mansion. A burglar stands in their way but the Pelican saves the day and the Duke rewards them!

I was intensely hooked from Page 1.
Dahl expertly displays his ability to in
Natalie Chalaby
May 12, 2013 Natalie Chalaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulously exciting story with a happy ending, begins with a little boy called Billy who stumbles across an old derelict sweetshop, which is renovated and transformed by a giraffe, a pelican and a monkey. The illustrations by Quentin Blake marvelously compliment the story. Who would have thought of such a sweet, bizarre and amusing idea of three animals living inside an old sweetshop, who set up a window cleaning company? How utterly imaginative of Roald Dahl!

The story with its small details
bakanekonomama
The Giraffe and The Pelly and Me bercerita tentang Jerapah, Pelikan, dan tokoh Aku. Tapi ada satu karakter lagi yang 'lupa' dimasukkan ke judul, si Monyet. Mereka bertiga adalah tiga sekawan hewan-hewan yang membuka sebuah perusahaan bernama, Perusahaan Pembersih Jendela Tanpa Tangga. Kebayang nggak sih, binatang-binatang yang harusnya masuk ke kebun binatang ini malah jadi tukang bersih-bersih? Tapi, memang begitulah adanya...

Ketiga hewan ini baru saja pindah ke kota tempat Billy tinggal. Merek
Namratha
I imagine myself curled up in a squishy bed surrounded by a trio of tiny-tots. As I read aloud, their attention is captured. The scruffy l’il boy stops tugging his sister’s pigtails. She in turn stops sticking her tongue out and making rude noises. And the third one unglues himself from the fascinating sight of the family-dog licking itself, long enough to get hooked. *Hypothetical Happy Place*.That’s what Dahl’s kiddie-books do to you.

And this banana-yellow covered book is one more of his ludic
Imas
Oct 28, 2012 Imas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Petualangan Bill bersama pelikan, jerapah dan kera. Ketiga hewan tersebut membuka perusahaan pembersih kaca setelah membeli gedung tua yang dulunya The Grubber alias toko permen. Pada zaman dahulu toko permen disebut Grubber. Billi sangat ingin kelak mempunyai toko permen.

Billi selalu mengintai toko itu, dengan tulisan DIJUAL. Sampai suatu hari seseorang telah menggantinya dengan tulisan KEJUAL. Pada kunjungan berikutnya Billi membaca tulisan pada gedung itu PERSAHAAN PEMBERSIH JENDELA TANPA TA
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Zelie's Book Review 2 1 3 Aug 29, 2014 05:18AM
  • I Was a Rat!
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • Sophie Hits Six (Sophie, #3)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Harry and the Wrinklies
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Madicken dan Lisabet
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
  • I, Houdini
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)

More about Roald Dahl...

“All you do is to look / At a page in this book / Because that's where we always will be. / No book ever ends / When it's full of your friends / The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.” 83 likes
“the world is a scary place for such a small child” 6 likes