Start by marking “Moja Means One: Swahili Counting Book” as Want to Read:
Moja Means One: Swahili Counting Book

Moja Means One: Swahili Counting Book

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
"Primarily a Swahili counting book, Moja Means One is also meant to be a gift of heritage, a glimpse of what is unique about East Africa."--School Library Journal. Full color.
Published June 1st 1996 by Peter Smith Publisher (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Moja Means One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moja Means One

Judy Lindow
Moja Means One is an entertaining read for little ones up to 3rd grade. It's good for any and all cultures so they can learn a tiny little about east Africa and the language. This could be used with Ella Jenkins "Jambo" recordings as a supplement. I think she has a number counting song as well.

I'll turn it into a game where we practice using the phonetic pronunciations and memorize the new words. The map and introduction add additional insight to the continent, prior to reading. The sensitive il
Molly Schibly
Moja Means One I love this book as a counting book! I think the illustrations are amazing and show a lot of depth to the simplest of all things, a counting book. Even though there is not a lot of color included in the book, it is still pretty great and the drawings are incredibly detailed. Similar to some of the previous books, it shows a lot about the targeted culture in the illustrations, making them mean more than just actions behind words in a story. By drawing something that is related to c ...more
Whitney
Jul 11, 2011 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Reading this book made me feel so smart and worldly as a kid.
Rodricucuz Vaughn
1. Counting picture book

2. " Moja means One" is a illustrated picture counting book that is in both English and Swahili .

3. critique

a. "Moja means One" is a great picture book! The cover of the book caught my eye . It is illustrated perfectly . Aside from the illustrations the book teach children how to count in both English and Swahili. Swahili is an African language that is spoken from Africa's Congo to Somalia .

b. Not only does the book teaches children how to count it also has a cultural a
Kim
Moja Means One: Swahili Counting. By Muriel L. Feelings. Illustrated by Tom Feelings. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1971. ISBN 0-8037-5711-5

Hardcover edition available from: Dial Books for Young Readers, 2 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016

Printed: Wing King Tong Company Ltd.

This counting book presents the the African heritage through Swahili counting from one to ten. Each page presents information about the culture, geography, economy, traditions, textiles, wildlife, and vegetation of Africa. The
Ashley Adams
Sep 24, 2012 Ashley Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Children's Book- Counting Book
2. This is a simple counting book that depicts the African country with beautiful images, and teaches the reader numbers in Swahili as well as English.
3. Critique
a. The most important element in this book is the illustrations. They are black and white sketched, and have won a Grand Caldecott Award for their beauty in depicting the continent of Africa, and specifically the nature that surrounds it.
b. The illustrations play a huge part in this book because it is
Amy Clinton
Sep 30, 2013 Amy Clinton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 642
Moja Means One is a Swahili Counting Book that uses numbers to teach you of Swahili life. It goes through the different animals that live in Africa, the types of clothes people wear, and even instruments, trees, and the highest mountain while teaching African words for each of them.

This book would work well teaching numbers, African way of life, and even African language. It can be used for many different things like English and Mathematics, but would be best in History!

I really like how the boo
Kristine Hansen
moja...mbili...tatu...nne...tano...

I found myself trying to count in Swahili all the objects on the pages. Sad thing is I'll probably forget the words unless I went back and read this over and over again to memorize it. It's so hard to grasp such sounds when all the languages I've studies had a Latin base.

That aside, I love the illustrations. I love the peeks into East African culture and the mini-lessons. I think the author put a lot of thought into her introduction and author notes and you can
Shayla.boyle
This book’s illustrations have soft lines that allow for a smoother and flowing reading of the book. Being a book that is emphasizing the numbers in a different language, the focal point of each illustration matches up to the number being presented. The illustrations match with the culture of the Swahili people by using images that are used in their daily lives as representatives. The images are not drawn with sharp, defiant lines but are brought forward by the use of shading. There is either da ...more
Adam
Simple book. Extremely well done artwork. I always love roughly yet tactfully drawn images.
Rodolfo
Sep 01, 2014 Rodolfo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations only very weakly corresponds to the text. Somehow the editors messed up what should have been a very straightforward book, in part by the inclusion of an overly-long, self-indulgent introduction.
Beverly
Jul 21, 2015 Beverly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
One of the pluses in this book is Feelings' introduction, which acknowledges that Swahili is not the only language in Africa, but she also points out how widespread the language is.
The counting feature of the book is simple enough for the youngest children to understand. The object or objects to be counted are highlighted in dark red in the sentence accompanying the number. A pronunciation guide for each number is also given. The soft, fuzzy black and white illustrations depict people and place
Cheryl
I liked the concept of providing children with bilingual books and this is the first one I ran across with Swahili and English. I wish it had gone a bit farther than just the word for the number (i.e. one mountain, two children, three trees, etc.) The charcoal drawings were high-quality. Author's notes felt very preachy but society was different at the time they were written.

This is a good candidate for updating to current tastes since children need exposure to a wide variety of languages and cu
Rachel
I read the Feelings' other book "Jambo Means Hello: A Swahili Alphabet Book" and I enjoyed that one more than this book. I do like that it is multicultural and the children reading the book would be able to count from 1-10 in Kiswahili (the true name for the Swahili language). Each number is phonetically sounded out and has a sentence or two about an area, animals or culture in East Africa, and include great illustrations. Recommended for ages 4-7, 3 stars.
Luann
Wonderful illustrations pair with a really nice idea of teaching children to count to ten in Swahili. With each number a short and simple fact about East Africa is given. I kept wondering if this is dated or still fairly accurate to country life in East Africa. I really don't know. Even if the book is dated, the illustrations are definitely worthy of their 1972 Caldecott Honor.
Sam
Dec 04, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caldecott
1972 Caldecott Honor: favorite illustration - 2, the two children playing Mankala together.
This beautiful counting book teaches not only how to count from 1-10, but also what the words are in Swahili and then give details about traditional African cultures and customs. A beautiful introduction to the general Swahili language and African heritage.
Sophia Martin
This is a Swahili counting book. It not only has the number written in Swahili but the corresponding number itself (1,2,3...). This is not just a counting book though, it also gives facts about Africa. I would use this book to introduce students to a knew culture or region of the world as well as let them experience a language other than English.
Jodi Young
This is a beautifully illustrated book. The book will help students understand that counting is universal and even though it may be in a different language it means the same thing. Also what i like about this book is that it doesn't say the number in the sentence. The number is in red so the children will need to count.
Chii Muni
this book shows an African society as a community and highlights ways in which they work together. The illustrations are all in black and white which is rare with children's books but is also very beautiful. There is a lack of mentioning modernizations of these countries or their major cities or uses of technology.
Double-spread pencil drawings illustrate something from East African culture to match a number from one to ten. We learn the Swahili word for the number as well as other details from the culture. Pictures express the author and illustrator's affection for the people and traditions of East Africa.
Susan
After living and teaching in Africa, Muriel Feelings, wrote this book to spread the language of Swahili to the Western Hemisphere. It counts from 1 to 10 in Swahili, with the numbers next to the words and pronunciation. Then there is a beautiful illustration and fact about Africa.
Sharonneika
Apr 07, 2011 Sharonneika rated it liked it
Shelves: informative
Very informative book that teaches the Swahili culture and language through numbers. As you flip through the book the culture animates itself through pictures and each page contains a short line of information about its culture. Great for elementary levels.
Dolly
Dec 19, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a simple counting book with a small bit of Eastern African culture. The introduction and author's note explain more about the author's background and motivation for this book. The black and white pencil illustrations are very good.
Mary Hand
This book I like because it mixes culture and gives an obvious lesson of counting. Young children have a ear for languages which is why toddlers can learn multiple languages at a time. So I would tech this as a language lesson.
Theresa
May 15, 2014 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a good counting resource and cross cultural experience, great resource for Kenya culture, used for kindgarten and early readers
Samantha
Swahili counting book (covers numbers 1-10). Text/pictures don't necessarily match the number but instead celebrate East African culture.
Jim
thewriting is straight forward and plain. the black and white (charcol? pencil?) is quite lovely. worthy of being an honor book.
Paul
Beautiful drawings in this simple counting book that doubles as the Feelings' further introduction to Swahili and African culture.
Marquita Davis
This is a good diversity book that teaches Swahili counting. It is also a Caldecott Book Award winner.
  • Just Me
  • A Pocketful of Cricket
  • Ape in a Cape: An Alphabet of Odd Animals
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • Nothing At All
  • Hildilid's Night
  • Alphabatics
  • Hide and Seek Fog
  • Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky
  • My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)
  • A Very Special House