Start by marking “The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes” as Want to Read:
The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes

The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  4,354 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
Robert McGee's best-selling book has helped millions of readers learn how to be free to enjoy Christ's love while no longer basing their self-worth on their accomplishments or the opinions of others. In fact, Billy Graham said that it was a book that "should be read by every Christian."

In this re-launch of this timeless classic you will: Gain new skills for getting off the
Published July 1st 2003 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published November 30th 1984)

Heidi Bylsma
May 23, 2009 Heidi Bylsma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God has used this book, in conjunction with two others, to help me see so many ways in which I had been living a lie in my Christian life. God has used McGee's words to "shine the light" on my very performance oriented approach to life. God has exposed my fear of failure, my tendency toward perfectionism and many other ways in which I have "bought in" to the Enemy's plan.

This book is rooted in scripture and I found the author's handling of the bible responsible and appropriate. In fact, don't m
Janet Richards
My pastor's wife gave this to me today - it could not have come at a better time. That was not an accident.

Very timely book for me and a lot of rich content. I will re-read this again and again. When my children are older - I'd also like them to read it and start out with a better perspective of true success than I did.
Jonathan Woodward
This book has potential, but it is too focused on the ego. The emotional aspect of this book is distracting. The author wants you to embrace the fullness of justification in God. That is a wonderful thing, and in many places he does it well. However, McGee seems to makes this more egocentric rather than christocentric. I would still recommend it to someone struggling with self-worth.
Liz
Nov 28, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Search for Significance falls under "Christian self-help." It covers four core fears/lies people believe about themselves:
-I must meet certain standards to feel good about myself.
-I must be approved by certain others to feel good about myself.
-Those who fail are unworthy of love and deserve to be punished.
-I am what I am. I cannot change. I am worthless.

and then uses Scripture to address each belief. The author is a counselor; I suspect this book is a culmination of his counseling techniques
Kelly
Mar 21, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite book of all-time. Perhaps because of its relevance to me at the time of reading it. I read it during college, when I was really seeking to find purpose and acceptance in my life. This book brings to light the universal lies that trigger our feelings of self-doubt and unworthiness. It is important to remain focused and aware of the fact that we all serve a greater purpose as God's children and that he created us all with the greatest amount of significance possible! S ...more
Jessie Dee
Aug 27, 2011 Jessie Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like the bible to me. Which is heretical, so I won't say that- but almost. It's life changing. I read it whenever I am insecure or unsure of God's love for me. Read it!
Debbie
Oct 15, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Search for Significance" is a study about what we usually do to try to feel significant versus the truths in God's Word about where to find our true significance. Those who hope to find happiness and significance through meeting certain standards or gaining approval from certain people will find that it doesn't last.

This book helps you to identify where you currently look for significance, explores the Bible for the truth about how God sees us, and teaches us how to replace lies with truth
Ron
Jan 13, 2014 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian_life
Maybe 3.5 stars. I expected to like it better, and it contains lots of solid, scriptural guidance on being all God designed us to be.

Then why the low rating? Because less than a hundred pages of substance is diluted by over two hundred pages of anecdotes, Reader's Digest-style self evaluations and study guides. Not that any of those were bad, but they distracted from the real material.

Still, a good read.
Katherine
Mar 02, 2012 Katherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
WARNING! To anyone who reads this, do not read if you are suicidal or have any form of psychosis.

This book was recommended to me after a failed suicide attempt. I was excited to see what materials in the book could help me and help me to see the truth of the Word of God and God's will for his children when they are struggling. I found it exciting that there was a Christian book which used psychological theories to back it up.

That said, this book was beyond disappointing. The author's understandi
Ted Rohe
Oct 12, 2007 Ted Rohe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Christian who wants to grow
Shelves: spiritualhelp
I had to read this book for a Seminary class. However, I found it very helpful. The book hits upon various issues a saint will face in his walk with God and spiritual struggles. The part of the book that impacted me the most was the last three chapters that touched upon issues dealing with overcoming the deception we let ourselves fall into over and over and how to come out of that. It is similar to what I have seen in Cognative Therapy, but this touches upon the spiritual renewing of our minds. ...more
Christopher Long
Mr. McGee is a super-smart guy who conveys his message well. That alone warrants four stars. And he certainly offers readers five stars' worth of Jesus. However, given that I actually felt LESS significant and even MORE condemned AFTER reading it, I can only cough up a three-star rating. It's awesome that McGee's book has seemingly helped so many people. But for me, I walked away from the experience learning only that, no matter what, even when I'm right -- I'm wrong.
Jul 09, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Christian
Recommended to Laura by: Brian
This book should be read by every Christian! It talks about getting our self worth from God and not from our performance or others' opinions of us. The fist half is the book and the second half is the workbook. It will touch your heart and encourage your soul! I am so glad to be free from Satan's bonds of lies.
Jon
Nov 05, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hit home for me, big-time. The book was given to me over 12 years ago, and I keep coming back to it. I'll occasionally meet folks who struggle with the same core equation McGee defines in the book, (performance + the approval of others = significance), and recommend it wholeheartedly. Love the worksheets the book comes with as well.
Bethany
Jul 20, 2016 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book very neatly and thoroughly combated lies that many Christians believe that prevent us from understanding who we are in Christ. It was easy to follow, grounded in scripture, and brought together the things God has been teaching me over the last 2-3 years about who I am in Him.
Hon3yb33
Mar 30, 2007 Hon3yb33 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I read this book with five other women in Mercywalk and it was a true healing process. I need to read it again.
David
Aug 18, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Christian
Recommended to David by: Don
The prefect book for Christian that suffer from addiction to the praise of others. Practical biblical insight into the lies that we tell ourselves to make us feel better.
Billy
A great book. Deals with the i thought were with me only.
Ps. i recommend it to everybody

Ashley
May 31, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: JoEllen
Shelves: faith
a challenging and important read. Quite possibly, one of the best books on who we are in God and His truth that I've ever read (and worked through). Highly recommended.
Kelly Hammerle
Feb 26, 2008 Kelly Hammerle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book began my journey to understand that God loves me and that I matter to Him.
Billiejo
Mar 06, 2012 Billiejo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life-changing potential! Great book to read, study and re-read.
Kristin
This book may be very helpful for some

I had some minor differences with the author and struggled through some sections due to how triggering they were (particularly one situation the author describes where he counseled a woman to stay within an abusive situation with her boss so she could learn to identify the lies she had believed from her past).
Michael
Jun 22, 2017 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to an abridged version of the book. One of the main take aways for me was the book's insight that too often I base my self worth on my performance plus others' opinion of me. Through accepting and trusting in what Christ has done, I can be free to find my significance and self worth in Him.
Alicia
Jun 17, 2017 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing book on knowing who you are in Christ. life changer
Dave Courtney
Mar 03, 2012 Dave Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Search For Significance was written I believe about 15 years ago and went on to become a national best seller. It is written by a professional counselor who founded an organization that offers health care to those with psychiatric needs and those who have suffered abuse. The read itself is simple, practical and to the point, and accentuates thoughts and truth about finding our true self worth in God that we may feel we know and have heard many times over (certainly within the Christian world ...more
MHA Bookclub
Mar 15, 2017 MHA Bookclub marked it as spiritual  ·  review of another edition
Shelf 2
Jacob O'connor
Jul 05, 2016 Jacob O'connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a crazy, reclusive uncle who, through an unlikely convergence of opportunity and incidental lucidity, was very influential in my early Christianity. He appeared when I was a teenager, impacted my young mind, and then disappeared. Several years later, he crawled out of his hobbit hole to recommend this book. Then right back into the shadows, and I've never seen or heard from him since.

But wow, what a book. I'd never read any "self-help" stuff, and Robert McGee's practical approach to combi
Caden Rodriguez
Feb 16, 2016 Caden Rodriguez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Search for Significance addresses the challenge that many people face in today's society and that is the chase to find our worth. Robert McGee navigates the human mind by confronting lies that we are fed on a daily basis and combats them with scriptural truths.

He focuses on four doctrines which include justification, reconciliation, propitiation, and regeneration. Through these the reader is able to see how their thoughts affects our emotional, relational, and spiritual development.

Robert
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
"...people who are driven to succeed will often use practically everything and everybody to meet that need." ~ Robert S. McGee, The Search for Significance, Page 23.

I finished this book; however, not the workbook portion. The exercises that were woven through the book I did complete.

This book was recommended by Billy Graham.

I think most people desire to know their significance and some find it in other places than through God. Some use the abuse of drugs, alcohol, sex and achievement to try to
Literarycat
Feb 08, 2017 Literarycat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit I got angry with the book because it hit too close to home. It was like I was reading about myself. It helped open my eyes to how I think and why. I love the work book at the end, it helped me delve deeper into my learning.

*for full review visit http://ow.ly/6ATO308Ovt0
Matt
This book was hit-or-miss for me. Some of the material reminded me of Neal Anderson's "Bondage Breaker" (a negative in my mind), while other parts of the book had some really practical advice. I could see some sections of the book being useful to come back to in the future.

One topic the author kept coming back to was an equation he believes reflects Satan's lie to humans:

Self-Worth = Performance + Others' Opinions

This definitely falls under the Christian Self-Help genre of books, with the author
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions (David Seamands Series)
  • Inside Out: Real Change Is Possible If You're Willing to Start from The...
  • Victory Over the Darkness
  • Get Out of That Pit: Straight Talk about God's Deliverance
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
  • Spirit-Controlled Temperament
  • Ordering Your Private World
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • A Gentle Thunder: Hearing God Through the Storm
  • Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life Journal
  • Sacred Pathways: Discover Your Soul's Path to God
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
  • The Normal Christian Life

“What a waste to attempt to change behavior without truly understanding the driving needs that cause such behavior!” 9 likes
“Because of justification, you are completely forgiven and fully pleasing to God. You no longer have to fear failure.     2. Because of reconciliation, you are totally accepted by God. You no longer have to fear rejection.     3. Because of propitiation, you are deeply loved by God. You no longer have to fear punishment, nor do you have to punish others.     4. Because of regeneration, you have been made brand-new, complete in Christ. You no longer need to experience the pain of shame.” 7 likes