Start by marking “Clementine” as Want to Read:
Clementine

Clementine

Once there was a little snail who loved everything round—hoops and wheels and balls and balloons and, most of all, the moon. Oh, how she longed to glide gently over the moon’s surface, around and around and around. And so she made a daring decision—she’d find a way to fly to the moon! This is a story about dreams and determination.
Published May 1st 2011 by NorthSouth Books

To ask other readers questions about Clementine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clementine

Beverly
Aug 09, 2011 Beverly rated it it was amazing
From the inside flap:

Once there was a little snail who loved everything round — hoops and wheels and balls and most of all, the moon. Oh, how she longed to glide gently over the moon’s surface, around and around and around.

And so she made a daring decision. ”I’m going to fly to the moon,” she whispered into the night . . .”

This is a story about passion and promise. It’s a story about the delight of discovering something wonderful right in your own backyard.”

When I first began reading this deligh
Tasha
Jan 07, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clementine is a snail who loves anything and everything round. She loves tires and balls, but most of all she loves the roundness of the moon. So she decides that she is going to head to the moon. Her best friend Paul, a worm, helps her come up with a plan on how she will get to the moon. They try a trampoline first, with poor results. The slingshot doesn’t do any better. Then they decide to try a rocket! And Clementine discovers that she has been connected all along to something amazingly round ...more
Jessica
Oct 05, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Clementine is a snail who collects round things: tires, balls of yarn, 8-balls, etc. She loves to attach her sticky body to tires and go round and round, for in addition to round things, she also likes to go round. And what's the ultimate round thing, for Clementine? The moon! She longs to ride it around and around as it orbits the earth. But how to get there? Clementine and her best friend Paul (an earthworm) try various techniques (slingshot, trampoline), with unsuccessful results. But Clement ...more
The Library Lady
Jul 23, 2011 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Translating a picture book from one language to another is not just a matter of knowing 2 languages. It's having a sense of that second language, of being able to catch the author's rhythms. And sadly, I fear that Sebastian Loth was not done well by here.
Story is charming--snail loves round things so much she wants to go to the moon. The art is lovely--the sequence in space would be striking with or without the fold out pages. But the language still flops.
Still good, but not as good as it could
Dianna
Aug 10, 2011 Dianna rated it it was ok
This book just didn't work for me. I had a hard time following what was going on, especially when the snail went off on his rocket. Then the language was a bit flowery in places, which didn't seem to match the story. And while the pictures were serviceable, they just weren't my cup of tea.

On the bright side, my five-year-old did like it, especially the fold-out pages with the view of the Earth.
Tricia
Jul 10, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Clementine is a snail who longs for adventure...and a visit to the moon! We are huge slug/snail fans in my house and we liked this one because of it. The text at times did not stand out on the dark backgrounds and was challenging to read---probably not one that I would choose for a larger group due to detail of illustrations and size of text along with the lack of contrast on the page.
Kim Patton
Jan 02, 2013 Kim Patton rated it liked it
A snail named Clementine loves everything that is round. The story goes through many round things that Clementine loves, including Clementine's discovery that the earth is round after a trip on a homemade rocket.

Author is from Germany--not BMJ eligible.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
A sweet little book about a snail named Clementine. Clementine loves things that are round, and when she attempts to visit the moon because it is also round, she makes a wonderful discovery that makes her content to stay on earth.
Sarah Souther
Mar 04, 2015 Sarah Souther rated it liked it
Sweet, but not icky. Clementine the snail loves everything round. She dreams of going to the moon. She and her friend, Paul the worm, work out a way to launch her so she can make a new discovery. Great themes of tenacity and friendship, plus a little lesson on shapes and orbits.
Kim
Jun 30, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
I thought at first when I was reading this that it was only going to be as story about things that are round. It was, but it had an adventurer twist to it as little Clementine decides to go to the moon (because it's round, of course.) Sweet little book with sweet illustrations
Jenn
Jan 18, 2012 Jenn rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for orange. That, and a snail who wants to globe-trot (and/or get to the moon).
Ardis
Jan 06, 2012 Ardis rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
very sweet.
Tam
Nov 15, 2011 Tam rated it did not like it
Neither my 4-year-old or I really liked this story. It was boring.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Apr 17, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Clementine is a snail who wants to get to the moon. And though she doesn't quite make it there she does make a remarkable discovery in the process. Liked the author's note at the end.
Becky
Apr 26, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, chapel, kids, fun
I LOVE this one!
Candace
Apr 25, 2013 Candace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A super cute story. A big world for a small snail.
Ame
Apr 14, 2013 Ame rated it really liked it
A little snail with reading glasses dreams of going to the moon so she can scoot along its surface. There's nothing less than "D'AW" about this.
Corinne
Oct 02, 2016 Corinne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, kids
A book about having real interests, big goals, and making things happen. Plus how cute is a snail named Clementine who likes round things and has a worm for a friend.
Ashley Salisbury
Oct 22, 2016 Ashley Salisbury rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book. It's so cute! I loved the different ways Clementine and her friend Worm came up with to get her to the moon. Very creative. Great blend of writing and illustration
Jessie Dae
Jessie Dae rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Beth Butler
Beth Butler rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Asby Kids
Asby Kids rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2017
Maya
Maya rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Keely Shannon
Keely Shannon rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Carmen
Carmen rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2011
Joan Chen
Joan Chen rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2014