Start by marking “Skyfall” as Want to Read:
Skyfall

Harry Harrison

Skyfall

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Prometheus - A stunning triumph of Soviet-Americal technological cooperation.

Prometheus - Ultimate answer to the prayers of an energy-starved world.

Prometheus - Potentially the source of the greatest single diaster in human history.

Skyfall - A thrilling novel of near future catastrophe, a catastrophe with a chilling ring of authenticity in the wake of this year's nuclear s
Published 1978 by Ace Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Skyfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skyfall

Tyrone
Jan 26, 2014 Tyrone rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of 70's disaster movies and SF
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed
I stumbled across this in a 2nd hand bookshop and its rare to find one of those, let alone one that has a reasonable selection of SF novels. I especially love finding those slim 60s 70s and 80s corgi/orbit books that usually have such fantastic cover art. Its even rarer to find a Harry Harrison novel that i haven't yet read. I was really sad that he left us last year.

I also love watching 1970's disaster movies like The Towering Inferno, The Poseiden Adventure, Earthquake, etc... Well if you add
Alyssa Macpherson
An enjoyable blend of techno thriller and science fiction, dated slightly by elements of the setting and the attitudes of the character. It lacks the Harrison's trademark humour and sense of character, and instead feels like a blockbuster movie in book form - characters are barely developed and formed entirely from tropes and stock, the plot roars on from dramatic scene to dramatic scene without a moment to breath for most of the book. It is still an enjoyable read but not one I think I will eve ...more
Raja99
Why I reread this book: ... I'm not sure. For some reason I was reminded of it; maybe I saw a reference to it on the web?

This isn't great literature, and it seems a bit consciously written (and packaged) to become a bestseller. But I found it compelling reading nonetheless, and I'm absolutely stunned at how many little tidbits I remembered—after all, I only read this once before, and that was thirty-two years ago! Perhaps the golden age of science fiction really is 12 ;-)

On the other hand, there
David
This is a near-future, hard sci-fi story written in 1976. It prominently features some edgy-for-the-1970s concepts, like men and women working together (gasp!) and Russians and Americans working together (double gasp!) Fortunately, after a few chapters it overcomes its self-consciousness about those things and settles into a fairly good, suspenseful story about an orbital solar power generation mission gone badly wrong. It's to Harrison's credit that the mission described, and the technology use ...more
John
Nov 23, 2014 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1978 grade B
Andrew
A kind of a bit like those seventies disaster movies,Towering Inferno and all that.
Well written anyhow and far better than I expected as I remember reading one of this authors'Stainless steel rat' books in my teens and finding it enjoyable yet light.
This however has some depth,plenty of turns although does overdo the disaster some times,they seem to go from one crisis to another much like in Dan Brown's books.
Bit of a corny ending too in some respects but ultimately not a waste of time.
Mel
Cold war feel between the US and USSR, as well as sexism/racism overtones blend into a fiction of real life energy concerns with a smattering of Space Flight gone wrong. Not a very strong piece of work due to the dated feel, though not a bad way to kill some time. Realistic enough for the time period and an attempt to limit too much technical jargon was appreciated.
Dan Buchness
This book is amazing. Though certainly dated, concepts in this book ring true today, and in fact, there is a project underway RIGHT NOW for which NASA could have borrowed the pages of this book (right down to being 'nucular' powered. w00t.
Louise
This book is a real page-turner - as much now as when I bought it in the 1980s. Another good thing is that the technology is not really outdated either. This has inspired me to revisit more of Harry Harrison's books.
Foxtower
One of those novels where some things don't quite make sense until the punch line... but a good punch line or two or three! Slow to take off, then very exciting!
Bradley
Not bad for a hard sci-fi tale. =)
colleen
read 04.15.84
Javi
Javi added it
Oct 31, 2014
Zantaeus Glom
Zantaeus Glom marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Matty Currey
Matty Currey marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Pavel
Pavel added it
Aug 28, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Brandon Boss
Brandon Boss marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
  • The Third Millenium
  • Solar Flare
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within
  • Galactic Empires 1
  • Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Labyrinth of Dreams (G.O.D. Inc., #1)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • Victories and Sacrifices (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #2)
  • Godspeed
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • The Two Faces of Tomorrow
  • Starquake
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Deadman Switch
  • Orion Shall Rise
  • The Descent of Anansi
  • Earthman, Come Home (Cities in Flight, #3)
  • The Search for Fierra (Empyrion, #1)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1) The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7) The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)