Start by marking “Skyfall” as Want to Read:
Skyfall

Harry Harrison

Skyfall

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Prometheus - A stunning triumph of Soviet-Americal technological cooperation.

Prometheus - Ultimate answer to the prayers of an energy-starved world.

Prometheus - Potentially the source of the greatest single diaster in human history.

Skyfall - A thrilling novel of near future catastrophe, a catastrophe with a chilling ring of authenticity in the wake of this year's nuclear s
Published 1978 by Ace Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Skyfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skyfall

Tyrone
Jan 26, 2014 Tyrone rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of 70's disaster movies and SF
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed
I stumbled across this in a 2nd hand bookshop and its rare to find one of those, let alone one that has a reasonable selection of SF novels. I especially love finding those slim 60s 70s and 80s corgi/orbit books that usually have such fantastic cover art. Its even rarer to find a Harry Harrison novel that i haven't yet read. I was really sad that he left us last year.

I also love watching 1970's disaster movies like The Towering Inferno, The Poseiden Adventure, Earthquake, etc... Well if you add
Miguel Pulido
Sep 07, 2015 Miguel Pulido rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciencia-ficción
Hubo un momento al principio del libro que me planteé incluso dejarlo, porque no me estaba atrapando. Ambientado en plena guerra fría, el libro cuenta cómo los bloques ruso y estadounidense están embarcados en un proyecto común para establecer una estación en el espacio que atrape la energía del sol. Así, la primera parte del libro está dedicada a los politiqueos previos al lanzamiento de dicha misión, denominada de forma muy adecuada Prometeo. Y cuando Prometeo despega... es cuando todo mejora. ...more
Alyssa Macpherson
Jun 28, 2014 Alyssa Macpherson rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An enjoyable blend of techno thriller and science fiction, dated slightly by elements of the setting and the attitudes of the character. It lacks the Harrison's trademark humour and sense of character, and instead feels like a blockbuster movie in book form - characters are barely developed and formed entirely from tropes and stock, the plot roars on from dramatic scene to dramatic scene without a moment to breath for most of the book. It is still an enjoyable read but not one I think I will eve ...more
Raja99
Apr 08, 2010 Raja99 rated it really liked it
Why I reread this book: ... I'm not sure. For some reason I was reminded of it; maybe I saw a reference to it on the web?

This isn't great literature, and it seems a bit consciously written (and packaged) to become a bestseller. But I found it compelling reading nonetheless, and I'm absolutely stunned at how many little tidbits I remembered—after all, I only read this once before, and that was thirty-two years ago! Perhaps the golden age of science fiction really is 12 ;-)

On the other hand, there
David
Nov 15, 2008 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a near-future, hard sci-fi story written in 1976. It prominently features some edgy-for-the-1970s concepts, like men and women working together (gasp!) and Russians and Americans working together (double gasp!) Fortunately, after a few chapters it overcomes its self-consciousness about those things and settles into a fairly good, suspenseful story about an orbital solar power generation mission gone badly wrong. It's to Harrison's credit that the mission described, and the technology use ...more
John
Nov 23, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
1978 grade B
Andrew
Oct 08, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A kind of a bit like those seventies disaster movies,Towering Inferno and all that.
Well written anyhow and far better than I expected as I remember reading one of this authors'Stainless steel rat' books in my teens and finding it enjoyable yet light.
This however has some depth,plenty of turns although does overdo the disaster some times,they seem to go from one crisis to another much like in Dan Brown's books.
Bit of a corny ending too in some respects but ultimately not a waste of time.
Philip
Mar 11, 2015 Philip rated it liked it
The technology is a bit dated but was probably fine when it was written . Otherwise think space disaster movie in print . A good yarn !
Mel
Jul 19, 2011 Mel rated it liked it
Cold war feel between the US and USSR, as well as sexism/racism overtones blend into a fiction of real life energy concerns with a smattering of Space Flight gone wrong. Not a very strong piece of work due to the dated feel, though not a bad way to kill some time. Realistic enough for the time period and an attempt to limit too much technical jargon was appreciated.
Barbara Trail
Jun 02, 2015 Barbara Trail rated it it was ok
I was expecting this to be SF but it felt more like a disaster story.
Dan Buchness
Dec 11, 2007 Dan Buchness rated it liked it
This book is amazing. Though certainly dated, concepts in this book ring true today, and in fact, there is a project underway RIGHT NOW for which NASA could have borrowed the pages of this book (right down to being 'nucular' powered. w00t.
Louise
Apr 26, 2011 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1950ce-onwards
This book is a real page-turner - as much now as when I bought it in the 1980s. Another good thing is that the technology is not really outdated either. This has inspired me to revisit more of Harry Harrison's books.
Foxtower
Feb 22, 2013 Foxtower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
One of those novels where some things don't quite make sense until the punch line... but a good punch line or two or three! Slow to take off, then very exciting!
Bradley
Jul 17, 2013 Bradley rated it liked it
Not bad for a hard sci-fi tale. =)
colleen
Dec 20, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
read 04.15.84
Reinhold
Reinhold rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Del
Del rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Mr Leveridge
Mr Leveridge marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Wanderluster
Wanderluster marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Daavid
Daavid marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
John Speelman
John Speelman rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Andrew
Andrew added it
Feb 26, 2016
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
James
James added it
Feb 14, 2016
  • The Labyrinth of Dreams (G.O.D. Inc., #1)
  • The Web Between the Worlds
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within
  • Galactic Empires 1
  • Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth (2000AD Presents)
  • Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters from Mickey Mouse to Aladdin
  • The Third Millenium
  • Cradle of Saturn
  • Solar Flare
  • Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Deadman Switch
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • First Amendment (Stargate SG-1 #3)
  • The Descent of Anansi
  • Time And Stars

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...