Start by marking “The Compassionate Diet: How What You Eat Can Change Your Life and Save the Planet” as Want to Read:

What can we do to allay global warming, contend with world hunger, be healthier, and live longer? In The Compassionate Diet, Nature’s Path founder and CEO Arran Stephens, who has been at the leading edge of the organic food movement for decades and a vegetarian his entire adult life, answers these complex questions in the simplest terms: Eat vegetarian.

A balanced and natur
Published May 24th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Compassionate Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Compassionate Diet

Marilyn Belsham
Jan 04, 2013 Marilyn Belsham rated it liked it
The spiritualism of vegetarianism doesn't interest me so the section of how world religions view vegetarianism was of no use. However, the rest of this little book was filled with a number of interesting facts. So interesting, that I wish the book was a little more expansive on those areas. I'll have to seek out another book to fill in the gaps.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
I've been a vegetarian for several years (trying to go vegan now). Just researched and wrote a paper on our current industrial animal food farming system. I knew it was bad -- now I know it's horrible. Small wonder then that this book appealed to me. Checked it out today; the author looks at the spiritual benefits of abstaining from meat-eating, along with health, ecological, and economic benefits, and, of course, curtailing widespread animal abuse throughout the meat industry. I'm not a spiritu ...more
Lauren
Jul 27, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: veggie
Heavy-handed and preachy, but with its heart in the right place. I am a "strict vegetarian" myself and have been for 16 years, and while I agree with the author on nearly every point, the tone was off-putting to me. I did appreciate that the book addressed the spiritual side of vegetarianism/veganism, because I think this side is often ignored or shuffled to the side. However, the author clearly has an agenda to promote his beliefs and it is clear in the 30 pages of foreward, introductions, ackn ...more
Lynn
Apr 05, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, animal, health, food
Love this book for its esoteric references. One would think that all references are scoured to support the author's notion of vegetarianism. But this book is rather convincing. Reading it is like walking through papyrus fields and enjoying freedom from bondage. Alot of references to ancient and religious philosophy and their founders who are vegetarians also. Overall this book improved my outlook and am trying to eat more veggies.
Karen
Jan 12, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a very quick (I read it in slightly more than an hour on a train), engaging overview of the justifications for a vegetarian diet, including economic, environmental, animal welfare, and health, as well as spiritual. It didn't really get into depth with any of these issues, but it is a great book to give someone an idea of the reasoning behind vegetarianism. I also liked the spiritual discussion, which I hadn't read as much about before.
Susan Clark-cook
Sep 06, 2011 Susan Clark-cook rated it really liked it
Once you read this little book you will think long and hard about your meat eating habits and the problems that meat eating creates, with health, environment, poverty and the many ramifications of our over reliance on meat...easy to read, hard to forget it has important things to tell us and our own level of "compassion". You will find things you have heard before, but also things you most likely didn't know. I know I did.
Kerri Buie
Jun 24, 2011 Kerri Buie rated it it was ok
The book is a good, basic, guide for those considering vegetarianism, but some of the statements were questionable at best and most of the religious examination is simply unnecessary. I've read better. I've read worse
Liz
Apr 03, 2016 Liz rated it liked it
Really inspiring and full of great info -- would have preferred to have formal citations instead of just a general "selected sources" list at the end.
Shana
Aug 05, 2014 Shana rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
This book was full of information that seemed like misinformation. There was little evidence for backup. Rodale might have reconsidered this one.
Tanya
Apr 29, 2012 Tanya rated it it was ok
Short and to the point; not the best I've read but not a bad place to start. Focuses in on the religious and spiritual basis of some vegetarian practice.
Veganacious DeGrande
A beautiful little book about organic gardening, GMOs and other information, but it misses the mark about vegetarianism versus veganism.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Janine
Janine rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Kathleen Hurley
Kathleen Hurley rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Ms.Milani
Ms.Milani rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2011
Michelle
Nov 24, 2012 Michelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: food
This poor book. It was a good concept, but I just couldn't get over how it was so poorly done.
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2013
Karen Gallardo
Karen Gallardo rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Matt Peters
Matt Peters rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was ok
May 03, 2013
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Judy Lindow
Judy Lindow rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2014
Meghan Carr
Meghan Carr rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
vicki turner
vicki turner rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Paleo Dicaprio
Paleo Dicaprio rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014