The Compassionate Diet: How What You Eat Can Change Your Life and Save the Planet

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What can we do to allay global warming, contend with world hunger, be healthier, and live longer? In The Compassionate Diet, Nature’s Path founder and CEO Arran Stephens, who has been at the leading edge of the organic food movement for decades and a vegetarian his entire adult life, answers these complex questions in the simplest terms: Eat vegetarian.

A balanced and natur...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Rodale Books

Marilyn Belsham
The spiritualism of vegetarianism doesn't interest me so the section of how world religions view vegetarianism was of no use. However, the rest of this little book was filled with a number of interesting facts. So interesting, that I wish the book was a little more expansive on those areas. I'll have to seek out another book to fill in the gaps.
Lisa
I've been a vegetarian for several years (trying to go vegan now). Just researched and wrote a paper on our current industrial animal food farming system. I knew it was bad -- now I know it's horrible. Small wonder then that this book appealed to me. Checked it out today; the author looks at the spiritual benefits of abstaining from meat-eating, along with health, ecological, and economic benefits, and, of course, curtailing widespread animal abuse throughout the meat industry. I'm not a spiritu...more
Lauren
Heavy-handed and preachy, but with its heart in the right place. I am a "strict vegetarian" myself and have been for 16 years, and while I agree with the author on nearly every point, the tone was off-putting to me. I did appreciate that the book addressed the spiritual side of vegetarianism/veganism, because I think this side is often ignored or shuffled to the side. However, the author clearly has an agenda to promote his beliefs and it is clear in the 30 pages of foreward, introductions, ackn...more
Melanie Mauer
articulate, beautiful and behavior changing.
Karen
Jan 12, 2014 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a very quick (I read it in slightly more than an hour on a train), engaging overview of the justifications for a vegetarian diet, including economic, environmental, animal welfare, and health, as well as spiritual. It didn't really get into depth with any of these issues, but it is a great book to give someone an idea of the reasoning behind vegetarianism. I also liked the spiritual discussion, which I hadn't read as much about before.
Lynn
Love this book for its esoteric references. One would think that all references are scoured to support the author's notion of vegetarianism. But this book is rather convincing. Reading it is like walking through papyrus fields and enjoying freedom from bondage. Alot of references to ancient and religious philosophy and their founders who are vegetarians also. Overall this book improved my outlook and am trying to eat more veggies.
Susan Clark-cook
Once you read this little book you will think long and hard about your meat eating habits and the problems that meat eating creates, with health, environment, poverty and the many ramifications of our over reliance on meat...easy to read, hard to forget it has important things to tell us and our own level of "compassion". You will find things you have heard before, but also things you most likely didn't know. I know I did.
Kerri Buie
The book is a good, basic, guide for those considering vegetarianism, but some of the statements were questionable at best and most of the religious examination is simply unnecessary. I've read better. I've read worse
Tanya
Short and to the point; not the best I've read but not a bad place to start. Focuses in on the religious and spiritual basis of some vegetarian practice.
Veganacious DeGrande
A beautiful little book about organic gardening, GMOs and other information, but it misses the mark about vegetarianism versus veganism.
Michelle Kilty
This poor book. It was a good concept, but I just couldn't get over how it was so poorly done.
Theresa
Balanced and interesting view of the vegan diet.
Shana
Shana is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Aubrey Adams
Aubrey Adams marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Megan Coyne
Megan Coyne marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Matthew Morris
Matthew Morris marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Astrid Vega
Astrid Vega marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Mar 26, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Marianna Nitti
Marianna Nitti marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Rachel Hogan
Rachel Hogan marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Melissa Dion
Melissa Dion marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014