Start by marking “I Feel Great About My Hands: And Other Unexpected Joys of Aging” as Want to Read:
I Feel Great About My Hands: And Other Unexpected Joys of Aging

I Feel Great About My Hands: And Other Unexpected Joys of Aging

In our youth-obsessed world of Botox, plastic surgery and anti-wrinkle creams, Nora Ephron struck a chord with I Feel Bad about My Neck, a collection of essays that included several lamentations on the deterioration of her aging body. Women's advocate and acclaimed writer Shari Graydon set out to counter the supposed downhill slide-inspired grief by inviting notable women- ...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Douglas & McIntyre (first published April 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Feel Great About My Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Feel Great About My Hands

Jeannette
A few of the contributions were so unenjoyable I skipped them altogether, but a handful of others were so insightful and inspiring that I decided to make space on the bookshelf to keep it for future reminders.

Although it didn't spotlight the benefits of aging as well as I'd hoped, it did leave me with an overall pride and confidence to be a maturing woman, as well as positive anticipation for the days ahead.
Elizabeth
Jan 22, 2017 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Many of the authors of these essays are too young (in their 40s and 50s), in my opinion, to write about getting old.
Sandra
Nov 19, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loaned
When I saw the title, I knew this book is where I’m at. By no means am I an octogenarian, and I’m double twenty and some.

A collection of connections on aging, I Feel Great about My Hands: And other unexpected Joys of Aging, edited by Shari Graydon, seems just the thing when pronounced with “the knees of a 70-year-old.”

I do fit right in among these women who have come of age, the second age of womanhood and third age of life. Joys of aging. I’ve certainly not heard very many olders through the ye
Canadian Reader
I really enjoyed Shari Graydon's works on media for young adults, but I found this collection of essays quite disappointing. A number of the essays tried too hard to be funny. One in particular about the experience of peeing by Dawn Rae Downton (sp?) was just bizarre. There was little about the"joys of aging" and a real lack of interesting insights. I read close to 2/3 of the book and found that I was leaving it alone for longer and longer periods of time. I finally returned it to the library. I ...more
Joanna Karaplis
Essays exploring the bright side of aging, authored by women age 50 and up. I'm a long way from 50 but it was nice to get a sneak peek at the future (and even nicer that the future described is not all doom & gloom). If you're over 50, you'll probably get even more out of this book.
Anne
Oct 04, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
Enjoyable collection of short stories with a few poems by women about aging. Told with humor and a feminist senisbility. Almost all stories have moments of recognition. And there are some delightfully wicked bits of humor (how to punish Manny Blahnik and Jimmy Choo for stilettos).
Mcvalens
Aug 21, 2015 Mcvalens rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud reading Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck. this collection of musings on life and aging well from a group of Canadian women is inspiring. most enjoyable read.
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Marilyn Holmes
Marilyn Holmes rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Lynn Bornath
Lynn Bornath rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2013
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Theretha Lewis Reid
Theretha Lewis Reid rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2012
Darlene
Darlene rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Nora
Nora rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Mary Stanger
Mary Stanger rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2013
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Janet Hutchinson
Janet Hutchinson rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Kathleen McRae
Nov 18, 2014 Kathleen McRae rated it really liked it
I enjoyed some writers more than others but overall it was an interesting read
Yoli
Yoli rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Sue Williams
Sue Williams rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Pat Kost
Pat Kost rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Sue Christian
Sue Christian rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016

“We need an army of white-haired, wild-eyed radicals cutting a swath against the sexism that crosses our paths. It is a good antidote to the larger community’s apparent belief that older women are slightly dotty, grandmotherly, benign souls.” 0 likes