Start by marking “The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook” as Want to Read:
The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,511 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, Fifth Edition, a revision of the bestselling classic, offers readers a step-by-step plan for overcoming anxiety and presents the latest treatment strategies for a variety of anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Published January 2nd 2011 by New Harbinger Publications (first published August 1st 1990)

Edward
Some highlights:

2. Causes
- heredity (genes make it twice as likely; identical twins have 31-88%, fraternal have 0-38%)
> inherit general personality type
-childhood (parents overly cautious/critical, insecurity/dependence, parents suppress expression of feelings)
-cumulative stress (most: death of spouse, divorce, marital separation, jail, death of close family member)
- GAD not enough GABA in brain
- conditioning
- short term triggers: loss,change,stimulants/drugs
- lack of meaning
- maintaining
Amanda
Um, I want to give this book to everyone I know as a Christmas gift. I picked this book up on a lark because I was experiencing some anxiety that seemed particularly acute at the time. Boy, was it money well-spent. I had no idea the extent to which anxiety effects so many areas of someone's life. I also didn't realize that many behaviors that can be read as awkward, hurtful, bizarre, or even cruel often come from anxiety, and that these behaviors are so pervasive throughout our culture because o ...more
Angela
The overall impression I got from this book is that all aspects of your life can contribute to anxiety. And so, if you're suffering from severe anxiety, there isn't a quick fix - you basically have to try to fix everything in your life. (This includes how you handle stress, your nutrition, beliefs about yourself, how you interact with others, exercise, finding a purpose in life... and the list goes on). But because of the checklists and step by step instructions, this somehow comes across as bei ...more
Cathy Casper
I have to read this book and so far, it has been extremely informative. Between breathing techniques and info on herbel remedies and other medications, it's a must read for anyone who suffers from anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, social phobia's, and more.

Since it's a workbook, it's a learning tool. At the end of some chapters, there are quizzes to take to see what a person may be suffering from and so on. It also gives a shout out to other books that deal with specific areas one may want to read m
Lauren
Some of the worksheets and lists (e.g., self-affirmations) provided in the book have been useful to my patients. I have found it more helpful for those with general anxiety than for those with a specific phobia. Although it discusses exposure and desensitization, most individuals need the assistance of a trained psychologist, especially because the ability to decrease and control anxiety during exposure to anxiety-inducing stimuli is essential in the treatment of phobias. I do not encourage my p ...more
M. Lynn
I read this as a companion to many other panic attack/phobia books, so long ago that I can't say much, however I do remember it being a pivotal part of my first road to "better". I've fallen a million times and gotten back up, yet this time around, getting up again is five years of losing hope. Seeing this book in my recommendations just now brought a flood of memories and feelings!! Read it along side Phobia Free  A Medical Breakthrough Linking 90% of All Phobias and Panic Attacks to a Hidden Physical Problem by Harold N. Levinson by Harold N. Levinson many many years ago and even went to New York for treatment from this ...more
Mike
Okay, I didn't read the whole book. I read the chapters related to what the book is about and how to apply the book. It is a typical psychological book on how to deal with phobias and the various kinds of anxiety. It is well written and has some helpful information on ways non-believers try to deal with the issues that cause concern in people's lives. A Christian, of course, has to read it with a grain of salt and adapt the ideas to make them Biblical and to trust in God not the program for the ...more
Kendra Saunders
Though I skimmed the last 1/3 of the book (for time constraint reasons), I found this book EXTREMELY helpful. It was suggested by a dear friend and did not disappoint. I still struggle with anxiety, but it helped put things into perspective and helped me to handle the stress and anxiety a bit better. Definitely give this book a try! It breaks EVERYTHING down for you, all aspects of anxiety, in a way that anyone can understand.
Kim
A workbook with an exhaustive, comprehensive method for treating anxiety and phobias; everything from meditation, self-talk, journaling, to an overview of medications and nutrition choices. Each chapter includes tests, questions, or actions to take.

This book helped me greatly during my most extensive episodes of anxiety. Anxiety is an on-going condition, which takes a continual review of your methods of treatment - this book can supplement a good therapist's help or move you in a good direction
Patty
The best selfhelp-book I've read so far.
Kim Winters
Excellent resource for physical, mental, emotional and spiritual ways to assess, address and reduce your anxiety. The last section addresses the spiritual side of this battle, which I believe would be more useful to start with. Gave it only three stars because I believe an approach like this which also keeps Jesus Christ in the center would be infinitely more valuable. Even so, the healthy principles and helpful tools are certainly in alignment with God's Word and character. If you are a not a u ...more
Patty
I struggle with stress-induced anxiety and panic attacks. This book is amazing!!! It not only helps the reader understand "why", but also gives concrete strategies for managing your specific anxiety.
Kate
Very cool book (with a lot of great quizzes) that can help you understand ways to better handle the stress in your life. Helpful ideas on coping when you've got a lot going on-
Abby
Jul 20, 2008 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: Dr. Hoffer
I know quite a lot of people who could learn a lot from this book. It's the least hokey "self-help" book I've ever seen (well...at least judging from book titles at the bookstore). He's a UofC PhD (though, I didn't know that before I got it) explaining the causes, symptoms of and very many ways to get control over anxiety issues and phobias. He really takes a broad, nonjudgemental approach to all the different types of "treatments" and life-changes that can be used. Extremely enlightening to fin ...more
Chris Searles
Aug 13, 2009 Chris Searles rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in need of stronger stress management skills
Recommended to Chris by: chris farrell
am currently working through this during some time off --
super helpful for me in building a tool box to manage nervousness. .

the book does a fantastic job of bull's-eyeing useful therapies and skill sets responses in a variety of areas, such as physical, mental, emotional, and dietary health.

i'm really enjoying the awareness building this book is doing for me. it's written for "serious cases" but i'm finding it highly applicable and effective.

highly recommended as a tool for stress managemen
Kerim
I'm not a big reviewer of items but I wanted to say this book was extremely helpful in understanding some of the behaviors I was doing that we're causing and prolonging some anxiety and stress. I was able to put a name to these things I had started to do (I.e. negative self-talk) and learned how to counter and stop those things. I learned a ton and I'm finding this book quite interesting and empowering. I would highly recommend checking out this book because it really has some great information ...more
Lyz
I'm in the middle of some pretty intense research on anxiety and mindful meditation. This was one of a few that led me to a-ha moments. I'm not sure if it's the writing or the fact that it's the right time for me to be reading this---I enjoyed it nonetheless and expect I will come back to it again in the future.
Lesley
Good information to pass along to clients
Helen Gaye Brewster
Probably the best book of practical knowledge I've ever read on anxiety and phobias. The tips and tools are the ones I return to time and again when I feel anxiety. It's my most recommended read for anyone who's suffering from anxiety of phobias. For people who have panic attacks or any phobia that's affecting their life it's a must-read, and for those who need stress relief from any type of anxiety it can be a good resource.
Timm DiStefano
An amazing resource to use for yourself or working with clients to help develop a more meaningful, less restrictive life. Full of empowering activities and reminders about how anxiety can be constricting and limit us from being who we really want to be.

One of the greatest resources out of the hundreds of pages or resource is the personal bill of rights. Something we all can read and pull power from every day.
Madison
I used this book as a companion to my cognitive therapy and medication, and boy did it help.

There are many, many techniques in this book that are helpful in dealing with anxiety. Using the techniques most powerful for you can help you reclaim your life.

This book is a valuable resource for anyone dealing with any sort of anxiety. I know I will be referring back to this book for many years to come.
Alan
If you're currently suffering some paralyzing bouts of anxiety, whether it be in public or at home this book does a good job at tackling your irrational fears and giving you some ground to stand on. Be advised that this book partly works with the notion that your childhood has something to do with how you are today. Therapy is recommended for those whose childhood trauma plays a role in their anxiety.
Sarah Mccracken
This book was recommended to me from my psychologist and it so far has been the best recommendation I've been given. I wish I would have discovered it years ago. If you have any type of anxieties, this book could help. The way it is written not only provides you with reasons for anxiety but tips on how to reduce it. Great book and easy to read.
Tom Verre
A stand out among self-improvement books this, and it's companion piece, lay out basic stressors and provide succinct steps to addressing them. Even if you don't suffer from phobias or clinical anxiety, it's a valuable tool for coping with the kinds of harmful stress that can come from work, relationships, and just being part of a crazy world.
K
Sep 30, 2009 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Therapists
Shelves: professionallit
Lots of great, practical exercises for conquering anxiety and phobias via CBT and other methods. There's an exercise for healing your inner child which I began using with a sexual abuse survivor who found it very helpful. I also really like the user-friendly information on a wide range of topics relevant to this issue. Highly recommended.
Jen
This is an excellent book for cognitive behavioral therapy related to anxiety. There is a wealth of information on how
To deal with anxiety, mistaken beliefs, dealing with guilt and shame, etc..I highly recommend this for anyone who suffers with anxiety disorders and phobias. It was recommended to me by my Psychiatrist and Psychologist.
Leslie Raddatz
This book educated me about my disorders as well as explained what triggers were and the PTSD symptoms in detail so I could understand what was happening to me. It also gave me ideas on coping skills for my triggers. It had assessments to take to see how serious my symptoms were and assessed where I was in the healing process.
Constantin Minov
It was a mind refreshing book , very useful.It explains very well the panic attack concepts and many other physical phobias and how to cope with these situations.I have even found new references to read from some interesting chapters such as Codependent No More by Melody Beattie and Self-Esteem by Matthew McKay, Patrick Fanning.
Sep 26, 2011 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with anxiety
Shelves: psychology
A fantastic resource! This book breaks down the concepts into easy-to-understand pieces and provides step-by-step exercises to help. Covers everything from breathing and relaxation strategies, coping with panic attacks, self-esteem, self-talk/cognitive distortions and more.

I use it in therapy with clients all the time!
Lisa Jakub
I started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help me deal with panic attacks and social anxiety. This book was the first that my therapist gave me - it's full of very practical advice and exercises. Some of the breathing exercises recommended got me into meditation, which has literally been life-altering for me.
  • The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder, First Ed
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-compulsive Disorder
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life
  • Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self-Injurers
  • The Dance of Connection: How to Talk to Someone When You're Mad, Hurt, Scared, Frustrated, Insulted, Betrayed, or Desperate
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond
  • Hope and Help for Your Nerves
Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry Natural Relief for Anxiety: Complementary Strategies for Easing Fear, Panic, and Worry Global Shift: How A New Worldview Is Transforming Humanity Beyond Anxiety and Phobia: A Step-By-Step Guide to Lifetime Recovery Healing Fear

“An anxious mind cannot exist in a relaxed body.” Body and mind are inextricably related in anxiety.” 1 likes