Start by marking “Master of the Abyss (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #2)” as Want to Read:
Master of the Abyss (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #2)

Master of the Abyss (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven #2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  8,013 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
On the mountain, the watcher seeks out evil women. And then they die.

Two years ago, when Jake Hunt uncollared his slave, she committed suicide. Guilt-ridden, he will commit to a woman for one night only, devoting his energy to a mountain lodge that caters to a BDSM crowd.

Kallie Masterson is tough. Unwanted as a child, she worked hard to become a wilderness guide. She’s pro
Published October 26th 2010 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about Master of the Abyss, please sign up.

Aimee While you should always read series books in the correct order, it is not essential to have read the first book in order to understand and enjoy this…moreWhile you should always read series books in the correct order, it is not essential to have read the first book in order to understand and enjoy this book.(less)

May 17, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed book 2 in the Mountain Masters series, Master of the Abyss. Yup!

Jake is the love them and leave them type. He hasn't been in a serious relationship since his last permanent sub committed suicide when he decided to end the relationship. Kallie is a mountain guide who is more tomboy than anything else. She knows nothing about femininity and being all soft and alluring. She does know about harbou
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

You know, there are some authors who just get it right every time and for me, when it comes to the erotic world of BDSM, Cherise Sinclair is one of them. Her books always strike just the right balance of hot sex and interesting storylines and I love and appreciate how her heroes always educate the usually new-to-the-scene heroines. It’s never just a case of tying her up and spanking her ass until she figures out how much she enjoys it, though now that I think about it, that does sound like it mi
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***4 Stars***

From one Hunt brother to the other. Jake certainly DID NOT disappoint!!

Jake and Kallie were a fantastic pairing. I loved her "macho" attitude. She was fiesty, funny, vulnerable and very relatable. Jake was a perfect blend of slightly broody, very protective, and 100% Dominant mountain man. I'm still not sure how my kindle didn't melt while reading. We've got some great outdoor sex in this one folks! H.O.T.

The suspense/mystery aspect of the storyline was an interesting addition and
Mar 22, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angst, emotional
I’m just gonna come right out and say it- I love the Hunt brothers! First Logan, and now his brother Jake- they are HOT!!!

Master of the Mountain was Jake and Kallie’s story:

photo d9cf5683-55b4-45c7-8755-28d575227c45_zps76cfe77f.jpg

photo 03ca5942-7831-4c08-9ab2-124855b98537_zps29291d99.jpg

Jake and Kallie are both from the same town, but are very different. Kallie is an insecure tomboy who lives with her three overprotective male cousins.
Jake lives with his brother Logan, and Logan’s woman, Rebecca. Jake doesn’t do relationships, but he’s upfront about it. Most of the women in town know about his
I absolutely love this book! Master of the Abyss is the second book in Cherise Sinclair's, Mountain Masters series andis easily myfavorite of the two books.

Master of the Abyss is an amazing, heartwarming, slightly angst ridden, and wonderfully written erotic story aboutJake Hunt and Kallie Masterson.

As I read their story, I couldn't help but fall in love with Jake's and Kallie's characters.Both have deep personal issues that has prevented them from opening themselves up to love. For Kallie, it'
Yeah, that was hot! I was really in the mood for some Cherise Sinclair and really, to get into her stuff you have to be in the mood.
This was great! Loved Jake and Kallie together. It was nice seeing a man fall for a woman who usually wouldn't catch his attention, but wholeheartedly does.

I think mixing a healthy dose of angst and a tad of danger really propelled this book. I knew pretty early on who the culprit was, but it was still enjoyable watching everything come together.
I've read this se
Rebekah Weatherspoon
Sep 07, 2012 Rebekah Weatherspoon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, erotica
I did not like this story. Beginning to end, I never got the impression that Kallie actually wanted to submit to Jake. Sinclair gave off the the impression that she really liked Jake and that she wanted to have sex with him so she submitted to his domly ways, reluctantly might I add, since that was the only way he would spend time with her. I wasn't it into.

Jake complains that he only wants one night D/s situations, but continues to literally stalk Kallie all over their mountain town so he can s
Blackravens Reviews
Lace’s Review:

Have you ever read a book that just took your breath away? Well Master of the Abyss by Cherise Sinclair was that book for me.

Ms. Sinclair knows how to keep her readers on the edge, just waiting to see what happens next.
She kept this story moving, taking you from one incredible scene to the next.

Jake is half owner of Serenity Retreat and his character made me love him one minute and want to beat him upside the head the next. He’s a hero that I could not get enough of. He swore off t
Belinda Boring
Mar 22, 2011 Belinda Boring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t get enough of this author with her delicious Doms and I know I’m not the only one. I was looking for a quick hot read that would not only stir up the tingly bits but also sear my heart and MASTER OF THE ABYSS was hands down the best choice. Although I yearn for trips to Club Shadowlands (honestly who wouldn’t with those sexy Masters running loose), Serenity Lodge has quickly become a place I love to visit because the owners and brothers, Jake and Logan, just sizzle with their strong and ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Cherise Sinclair. So when I realized that I hadn’t read this book yet, I immediately thought WTF? and opened the book. Right from the get go, I remembered why I adore her writing so much. Cherise Sinclair writes emotional BDSM books. Yes, they are sexy as hell. Yes, they are original and thought-provoking. But what Cherise excels at is making readers feel the same emotions that her characters are feeling.

Kallie Masterson is a tough chick, but she has a vulnerable core that she guards
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
What a story...

While I was reading Master of the Mountain, all those hints about Jake made me grab this book and read it right away. And, I'm sooo glad I have.

Logan is haunted by nightmares, but Jake is haunted by his own guilt, for two years already. After uncollaring his slave Mimi, she committed suicide. That's when Jake swore against commitment and long-term relationships and started using his one-night-only rule. Well... until Kallie showed up, at least. With her, one-night-only happened on
Dec 05, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why this one wasn't as enjoyable to me as the first one. I loved the first one.
This one I felt like I was pushing myself to finish it.
I did enjoy it and I totally didn't guess who the bad guy was so thats good. I hate it when something is obvious from the beginning. This book was sexy, not as sexy as Logan's but still good.
Maybe I am just sleepy and not feeling it.
Still solid bdsm story, so much better than some of the stuff out there.
Aug 28, 2014 Stephanie* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm

I liked this book better than the first in this series. Jake Hunt was absolutely delicious!! I want to eat him up for breakfast, lunch, & dinner!!!

Cherise Sinclair knows how to write a very sexy read!! The blurb does not do this book justice!! It could also use a new cover, IMO. Do not overlook this great read based on those two shortcomings.

Looking forward to reading the other books in this series!!
Denise H.
***** This story is a deeply intense, erotic, sensual, romance and BDSM tale. ***** Cherise Sinclair is the best writer of the BDSM lifestyle, rules, options, and always shows the optimum care in the story.

the author's Doms are the ultimate in their roll, their sub's pleasure and mind set is their priority. Her writing flows and you will absorb yourself in the plot. Amazing Jake, is Logan's brother, whom we met when he and Rebecca joined. Both brothers are ex-military who run a lodge that cate
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Jan 17, 2011 ♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enjoys dominant yet caring men
Shelves: adult, erotica
I enjoy all of Ms. Sinclair's book. As soon as I know one of her books is out, I go and buy it. She's a little naughty addict of mine. This latest book of hers is well written and the plot is a bit poignant. I liked how she demonstrated the hang ups of the two main characters. Rather than tell everyone how it is, she shows through past experiences which shaped each character. A bit disturbing to be so unloved and unwanted, only to find out the true events. I like this about Ms. Sinclair. It adds ...more
Mar 10, 2013 ~V~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Cherise Sinclair's books! Most of them aren't overly long, but are long enough that you're able to make a connection to her characters and feel that you got a good story. There's always a really sweet romance with enough emotional angst to satisfy, it's never over the top...and she definitely knows how to write some GREAT steamy sex scenes!! I loved her Masters of Shadowlands series, but i'm really enjoying these...they're not quite as "heavy" as some of the books in that series.
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
Well this book was everything you would expect of a Cherise Sinclair novel and more. It had a sexy Dom, a feisty and outspoken heroine, and panty melting, hot flash inducing sex.

There was also a bit of a suspense story built in that pleasantly surprised me. Although I figured out 50% of it about 30% in, I was still surprised at the end.

I enjoyed that the suspense plot did not take away from the romance, but managed to tie it all together somehow.

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
WOW another Great read form Cherise, Love her work!!
an d this was a great book!! Love this series :)
I wonder if we will get some more of those hunky cuz of Kallie's!!

"I enjoy the way you smell too,sugar.Like vanilla ice cream"

*thud* oh Jared was a sweet talker!!!

Great Read :)
Anas Attic  Book Blog
Cherise Sinclair did it again. Great story, suspense, family and romance all tied together in a HOT SEXY bow.

I wish she would write a short instruction manual for could-be Doms. I'd love to give it to my husband. ;-)
*4+ Stars*

Cherise Sinclair works for me! She can make characters and situations that I wouldn't otherwise like and make me ok with them. This book didn't really push those boundaries so even better! I liked the characters, and I enjoyed their story. I really like the mountain setting too! Jake took a bit to get there, but it was wonderful when he did! How he dealt with Kallie's issues, once he understood them was awesome! Kallie definitely deserved the tough guy to fall hard for her. Looking for
Dec 31, 2015 Karen111 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Really enjoyed this. Book 1 was great, but this was an even better storyline.

I loved both Kallie and Jake. My heart went out to Kallie - her mom died when she was eight, and she was shunted from relative to relative before settling down with her uncle and three male cousins, so was very unsure of her place in the world. She was such a sweet and vulnerable character, but yet had great inner strength. I loved how she was tomboyish, what with her short hair, oversized clothes and love of the outd
Amanda Croley
Dec 11, 2011 Amanda Croley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide between the two brothers. Logan is gruff, and manly. Jake is funny, sexy, and a tad vulnerable. Kallie is tough as nails, and a bit of a tomboy. She has always had the hots for Jake, so when he notices the woman under the flannel shirt, and boots she swoons. She and her cousins run a touring company through the mountains (that sounds fun btw). Their company, and Serenity Lodge have teamed up to increase their business. When the guests at the lodge wanted to enjoy an outing they wo ...more
holly quigley
Pretty standard Cherise Sinclair BDSM contemporary romance. If you're new to her books, you might have to sort of suspend your disbelief of the whole insta-trust / almost-supernatural-Dom-instinct business. Sinclair writes really fast-paced erotic romances. But once you get beyond the initial surprise of the first hurdle, usually her plots and characters are nicely rounded. I'm obviously a fan, so maybe I'm biased, but I don't think so. If anything, I'm just used to her pacing.

That said, I did w
First Logan, now Jake. I think I'll take Jake.

Jake won't take on a permanent Sub ever since his girlfriend committed suicide. When a bar brawl breaks out at the local tavern, he has to sit up and take notice of Kallie, a tomboyish woman he has never paid much attention to, until now.

Kallie can fight like a man and she dresses like one too. She doesn't date much but she has always had a secret crush on Jake. When her cousins decide to go into business with Logan and Jake, Kallie soon finds out e
Sofia Grey
Feb 18, 2012 Sofia Grey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After devouring Master of the Mountain, I was eager to read the sequel and find out more about Logan’s charismatic brother, Jake. His avoidance of commitment is legendary in the small town of Bear Flat and he’s dated most of the available women, using his infamous “One night only” rule. He’s never really noticed tomboy Kallie before, until she comes to his attention in a bar fight.

Kallie stood in front, one scruffy sprite, boots planted, guarding the territory. Looked rather like Toto trying to
nd ♥Master's kitten♥
What a read! The third in the Mountain Masters Series left me breathless! First we had Logan, now we have his oh-so-sexy brother, Jake. I was really looking forward to reading Jake's story, and Cherise Sinclair does NOT dissappoint!

Jake has a tortured past. He was a in a 24/7 M/s relationship a couple years ago, but he just wasn't cut out for the 24/7 style, so he un-collared his girlfriend who was later found dead in the woods, a victim of an apparent suicide. Which Jake assumes is because she
Charmaine Stephens
Sep 20, 2013 Charmaine Stephens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
After reading Mountain Masters book one, I was curious to find out Jake's story next. Especially knowing that his previous sub/girlfriend Mimi had taken her own life. This was a good book and had some very interesting and hot moments. My only complaint was it was confusing & weird at times when it started talking about Demons & killing demons inside of women.

Turned out those parts was like the POV from the killer's head in this story. I took me a sec to catch on whose POV it was. Which
Mrs. Missive
Nov 06, 2010 Mrs. Missive rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another couldn't put it down book by Cherise Sinclair. Although this book is the second (third if you count an offshoot anthology short) in the Masters of the Mountain series it could easily be a stand alone read as well, IMO.

Jake is a one night only man. (trust me, you will know this the twenty-twelveth time you hear it in the novel.) He is a smexy dom who everybody wants, but most of the town doesn't know about his kinky side. While getting into a barfight he bumps into the town tomboy...
BDSM fans, this is a must read!

I know I am not alone in being a huge Cherise Sinclair fan. There were quite a number of us counting down the days until her newest release. And, oh my heavens, was it worth the wait. This book is related to Masters of the Mountain, but it stands alone with ease. It is a great choice for those new or well-versed with the BDSM genre. The BDSM is on the light, but highly erotic side.

Jake is a Dominant who gave up on relationships after he uncollared his sub and she
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
I liked this one, but didn't love it. I wasn't really a fan of the h, mostly because I don't like "tomboy" heroines, but it's still worth the read!
  • Doms of Dark Haven (Truckee Wolves #2; Hawkeye #2.5; Mountain Masters & Dark Haven #1.5)
  • Afterlife (Knights of the Board Room, #4)
  • Burn for You (Club Mephisto, #2)
  • Hurt Me So Good (The Connaghers #2)
  • Siren in the City (Texas Sirens, #2)
  • Sinful Treats (Club Velvet Ice, #1)
  • The Reluctant Dom (Suncoast Society, #4)
  • A Dom is Forever (Masters and Mercenaries, #3)
  • Nobody's Hero (Rescue Me Saga, #2)
  • Mr. Smith's Whip (Taboo Wishes, #4)
  • Graceful Submission (Graceful, #1)
Whenever I ask for BDSM recommendations, I am told the same two words all the time: Cherise Sinclair. ~ Under the Covers Reviews

Authors often say their characters argue with them. Unfortunately, since Cherise Sinclair’s heroes are Doms, she never, ever wins.

A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, she’s renowned for writing heart-wrenching romances with laugh-out-loud dialogue, devastati
More about Cherise Sinclair...

Mountain Masters & Dark Haven (5 books)
  • Master of the Mountain (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #1)
  • My Liege of Dark Haven (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #3)
  • Edge of the Enforcer (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #4)
  • Master of Freedom (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #5)

“So, so sorry. Really sorry. Master. Sir. Emperor of the world. God of the universe.” 20 likes
“Bound, whether by my will or my rope, open to me in all ways.” 17 likes