Start by marking “Shutter Island” as Want to Read:
Shutter Island

Shutter Island

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  85,250 ratings  ·  5,575 reviews
Summer, 1954.

U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels has come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Along with his partner, Chuck Aule, he sets out to find an escaped patient, a murderess named Rachel Solando, as a hurricane bears down upon them.

But nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is what it seems.

And neither is Teddy Daniels.

Is he there to find a mis
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Shutter Island, please sign up.

Cosmé 2, the book isn't very confusing, it's easy to follow. It just makes the reader think a lot in the end. It's only difficult if you try to understand…more2, the book isn't very confusing, it's easy to follow. It just makes the reader think a lot in the end. It's only difficult if you try to understand more than the main character. (less)
Alshia Moyez Did you like the movie? You didn't say if you liked it or not. The idea for the movie stems from the book, so I'd say it's safe bet the book is good.…moreDid you like the movie? You didn't say if you liked it or not. The idea for the movie stems from the book, so I'd say it's safe bet the book is good. Have fun!(less)

Lou
Photobucket
An isolated island, a raging hurricane, a locked room, secret codes, a mental hospital, and rumors of mysterious medical experiments frame the story. Written in a very different style compared to Lehane's previous novels Mystic river and Gone baby gone. The plot is not the simplest of plots, i was scratching my head intrigued because the story flips through past present and surreal. It is a disorienting, complex story grounded in the reality of the times...cold war USA in 1954. From pondering o
Bill
The night I finished this, my mind was left reeling from it for a couple of hours and the next day I was unable to get it out of my head.

Shutter Island is a departure from the Kenzie/Gennaro series and
it's one of those novels that will certainly leave you pondering the whole story once you're finished it.
The less you know about the story, the better. Suffice it to say, this is an excellent read and there are very few novels I have read that made my head buzz for hours after.
Don't miss this, re
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

Two U.S. Marshalls have been dispatched to Shutter Island - a location much like Alcatraz which houses an inescapable fortress for insane prisoners. The job of the partners is to find a female patient/murderer who has disappeared, while also having the unfortunate timing of having to battle a hurricane simultaneously. What the duo initially came to investigate and what they actually end up discovering are VERY different things.

I read
Sarah ( Paris )

بسيطة ، غامضة وجرعة كبيرة من الطب النفسي والأمراض النفسية ككل والتعامل معها خاصة في الزمن الذي وقعت فيها الأحداث ..
دراما عالية والكثير من التوتر ..الكاتب متمكن جدا، وممتاز خاصة حين يصف العواطف ..

حينَ تقترب النهاية تتوالى المفاجآت وبلا هوادة وهنا نصل لـ أحد افضل أجزاء الرواية وموطن قوتها ..

رواية لن تتوقف عن التفكير بالأحداث طوال فترة قراءتها ، وسترافقكَ هذه الأفكار لفترة طويلة بعد أن تنتهي منها ..

الفيلم الذي ارتكز على قصة الرواية والذي شاهدته مباشرة بعد انتهائي منها ..
يماثلها روعة ..

هي من تلكَ ال
Dan
"Shutter Island" started off lame. Then it got better. And then it reverted to a convoluted plot recycled from pretty much any psycho-thriller out there. This is the first and likely last Lehane book I've read and I've surmised that he, like Stephen King and John Grisham, simply writes screenplays disguised as novels, probably writing the story while fully aware that it will be purchased by a movie studio within a year of being published. Lots of cliffhanging chapters, laughable dialog, a little ...more
Annalisa
May 18, 2010 Annalisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language and violence
I'm not even sure what to say about this book without giving anything away. US Marshal Teddy Daniels shows up at rocky island that's an asylum for the criminally insane to track a patient that disappeared from a locked cell. While on the island, he gets the sense that the doctors are hiding something and sets out to obtain evidence that they are experimenting illegally on patients. As Daniels uncovers secrets, you become more confused about what is actually happening at the hospital.

I'm vague to
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The confused.
Shelves: fiction
Forget Mystic River. Shutter Island is the Dennis Lehane book to read. Set in the mid 1950's on a secluded island that serves as a mental institution for the criminally insane, Shutter Island combines elements of psycho-drama and horror with a good mystery and well-rounded characters. U.S. Marshals Daniels and Aule come to the island to investigate the mysterious escape of a violent patient from the hospital, only to be trapped on the island by the worst hurricane in thirty years. The two Marsha ...more
Marvin
Shutter Island isn't as good as Mystic River, which I read just before this. Mystic River is an entire neighborhood of fleshed out characters that propelled its tragic plot. Shutter Island isn't so three dimensional. What it does have going for it is a taut plot full of suspense and mystery. This is a puzzle novel. Not a novel puzzle like The Davinci Code where the puzzle is the thing and everything else is secondary. The puzzles of a first-rate thriller exist not as the primary purpose but to p ...more
Robert Beveridge
Dan Brown, The DaVinci Code (Dubleday, 2003)
Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island (Morrow, 2003)
William M. Valtos, The Authenticator (Hampton Roads, 2000)

Rarely, when I read, do three books come together so very well for one review. But such is the case here with The DaVinci Code, The Authenticator, and Shutter Island.

Imagine, if you will, a kind of number line of style, with the very best writers at the rightmost extreme and the very worst at the left. On the right are those authors who pay great atten
Carol
I honestly thought my opinion of this book would be greatly influenced by my having seen the film, but it wasn't. I was completely blown away reading this one. This was probably one of the best psychological thrillers I've ever read. I loved how I got confused and then thought I figured it out, but then was totally confused all over again, until right near the end, at which point everything came to light.
Becky
Question: Why have I never read Dennis Lehane before? No idea, but it is a situation that I will endeavor to rectify as quickly as possible.

This book is one that will most absolutely stick in my head for a long time to come. I loved it, from start to finish. I love the unexpectedness of it, and how I was so wrapped up in the story at times that I had to literally drag myself away, and how toward the end, I was so anxious about what would happen that I was afraid to pick it up again. These are t
Darth Fierce
Jul 22, 2014 Darth Fierce rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Poe and The Shining
description

Most of you know what this book is about.

Even to talk about the story at all would require me to rename it Spoiler Island.

If you need a reminder, or, have been living under a rock (hopefully not the latter!), here's the synopsis printed on the back cover.

description

I enjoyed the book and thought it was well written. Without a doubt, noticeably influenced by Poe and The Shining.

Suspenseful and mysterious with several captivating characters and a very appealing setting.

However, I have to say, before I wa
Catherine
Brooke
I decided it was about time I read a Lehane novel BEFORE the movie came out and made me think, "Oh, I've already seen the movie, I should read a book where I don't already know the ending instead."

And what an ending it was, although one I saw coming. I think it's because I've read (or maybe watched) similar stories before, and Lehane did a good job setting up some clues.

Highly recommended for anyone who likes atmospheric mysteries. The whole setting is very creepy, and the previews for the movie
Megan
My brother and I were at the hospital, waiting our mom’s knee surgery when I started Shutter Island. Little bro looked at my book and exclaimed, “Crap! The movie was total crap and I figured everything out five minutes into it. Do you want me to tell you the secret?” Of course I didn’t want to know the ending before I got there myself. This story follows U.S.Marshal Chris Monsanto Teddy Daniels as he travels to an island which is home to nothing but a possibly dangerous and experimental penitent ...more
Slayermel
Jan 03, 2010 Slayermel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good mystery
How to review this book without giving out any spoilers, that's going to be a challenge.
Well let me start by saying that when I finished reading the book, I just kind of sat here dumbfounded for a moment or two and sort of replayed the story through my head, trying to let all the pieces fall into place. In a way I was taken by surprise with the ending, but then after sitting and reflecting on it, I don't think it could have gone any other way. Teddy's character has so many layers you really feel
jcg
Too cute. This book would have made a good short story, maybe a novella, but there just isn't enough plot material to sustain a novel. The result is that most of the book is filler. It starts out with an irrelevant Prologue which doesn't tell the reader anything, then a long irrelevant first chapter with two guys flirting outrageously with each other that gives minimal information, then there are long irrelevant flashbacks about one character's relationship with his wife, then long irrelevant ha ...more
Nancy
I picked up Shutter Island after seeing a movie trailer that made it look intriguing.
Lehane is a story-teller and the book was like a game of Clue. There were many groan-out-loud similes which took the place of good writing as did the macho language used by Daniels and the officials at the hospital. Most of the other patients were the to-be-expected goons.
Teddy Daniels, a US. Marshal, goes to Ashecliffe Hospital on Shutter Island to find the murderer of his wife. There are all the usual trap
Madeline
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die be damned, every now and then I just get in the mood for a good, cheap thriller. I must have been in one of those moods, because my aunt gave me this book when I visited her recently - almost 400 pages long, and I read the entire thing in less than 24 hours.

It's exciting, it's pulpy, it's violent, there's gratuitous sex and awkwardly quippy dialogue and conspiracy theories aplenty, and the book should really come included with a little speaker on the appr
Matthew
Airport fiction is bizarre. Glossy covers of black and neon with the author's name larger than the title - and then you flip through eight or nine pages of superlatives in all capital letters written by raving nutcases employed by our nation's newspapers.

And then FORESHADOWING and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and CLIFFHANGERS at the end of each chapter. And then the EARTH SHATTERING CLIMAX and REVEAL, that usually involves the truth about the death of one of the characters.

Some people read this stuff c
PSmith
whoosh . ...
A very dark, a very thrilling psychological mystery with lots of red herring , set in a storm ravaged island. Was immersed in the stormy read - to the extent of having related nightmares on 2 consecutive days and a feeling of surrealism throughout these days.
The ending baffled me. I would really love to watch the movie now.
Eric_W
Excellent book. I saw the movie years ago but frankly can’t remember it and the idea that Leonard DiCaprio could play a U.S. Marshal rather frightens me.

Two U.S. Marshals are sent to investigate the disappearance of an inmate at a remote asylum for the criminally insane. It appears to be the classic locked room mystery: a woman vanished from her room through locked windows and doors, passed guards, etc. There’s also a storm coming, in more ways than one.

Teddy, the lead marshal, has a hidden age
Sandi
May 13, 2010 Sandi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandi by: Em Audsley
Shelves: 2010
I'm going to preface this by telling you that I saw the movie version of Shutter Island when it was in the theaters. If you haven't seen it, please do. The previews really don't do it justice and I left the theater wanting to read the book. Now, it's often the case that the book disappoints when you've seen the movie first (or vice-versa), but not here. I'll say that the movie is very true to the book and really captures the atmosphere of the book quite well. And, although both movie and book ha ...more
Kim
I first heard of this book when the Scorsese film was released. I was intrigued by the trailer but never got around to watching it and ended up picking up the book first. I have to say I was misled by what I had seen regarding it and thought it was a supernatural horror but to my surprise it was far more One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest than Paranormal Activity.

And honestly I think I much preferred it this way. It was subtle and clever and once the truth started to be revealed I thought back and
Kim
This was my first book by Dennis Lehane. I'd been wanting to read him for a while and one of the reasons I read Shutter Island first was all the shining reviews about the big twist you'll never see coming.

I hate to be that person, that party pooper saying "I saw it coming from a mile away" but I was expecting a slap in the face and all I got was a wink. I'd been in on it.

I can't give a mystery novel five stars unless it blows me away and since I nearly had it figured out this one didn't do that
Jen
I have absolutely no idea what happened in this book. Perhaps that makes it an effective story?

This is not a standard Lehane novel; yes, it's set in Boston, but not the mean streets of Dorchester or Southie. It's set on an island in the early 1950's, and psychological and psychopharmacological studies are taking place. Pretty interesting. I'm curious about the movie that's being filmed in MA.

One thing, though: I don't think audio is the best format for this one because of all the codes. I had
aljouharah altheeyb
رواية مُمتعة كدت أن أجزم أنها لداون براون لولا إنعدام الرمزية فيها هههههههه
#من ناحية الحماس وإنشداد العينان لمعرفة الأحداث بالتأكيد ^^

جميلة هي بغموضها وحبكتها العجيبة، القصة حيث تدخل وتخرج من الماضي إلى الحاضر وكيف تم إستغلال ماضَ الجنرال "أظن أنه جنرالاً ؟ لا أعرف لقد نسيت " ضده في الجزيرة

رواية ممتعه ومُذهلة بنهايتها المثالية \١ ببساطة لم أتوقع نهاية كهذه \١ أُصبت بدهشة عظيمة وكادت عيناي أن تخرجا من محاجرهما ذُهولاً !
حقاً تستحق القراءة لإستعادة نهم القراءة :$
Adam Light
Brilliant novel. The pacing was full tilt, brimming with crisp and believable dialogue and a twist filled plot and suspense to spare.
I saw the film when it came out, but had I not, I think I would have still figured out the big surprise by about the halfway point, but it was still a great, tightly written novel.
Andrew
Ok where to start with this book - I know that a lot of people have rated this book very highly and I am intrigued as to why.

Now I will jump in and say that I am not criticising the book no I really enjoyed it although I did guess the ending a decent way in to the book - however its an easy quick read (just wish things were not getting in the way of reading), the scene and characters beautiful described and introduced and the dialogue tight and powerful (remember the era that the story is set i
conspiracy or insanity 17 165 Nov 13, 2014 09:10AM
The last three pages 43 507 Jul 24, 2014 12:30PM
The book or the movie? 62 409 Jul 22, 2014 01:39PM
Night of the Livi...: September 2014 Selection: Shutter Island 1 2 Jul 22, 2014 12:43PM
Mysteries & C...: September Group Read: Shutter Island 110 68 Oct 02, 2013 05:49AM
The Warden's Philosophy 1 37 Sep 03, 2013 10:14PM
  • A Place of Greater Safety
  • Boom!
  • The Zombie Room
  • A Simple Plan
  • Bury Me Deep
  • Pop. 1280
  • Priest (Jack Taylor, #5)
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Skagboys
  • The Coma
  • Clown Girl
  • The Fuck Up
  • The Informers
  • Bare Bones (Temperance Brennan, #6)
  • Dead Babies
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more
More about Dennis Lehane...
Mystic River A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1) Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4) Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2) The Given Day (Coughlin #1)

“Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?” 99 likes
“He wanted to ask her what sound a heart made when it broke from pleasure, when just the sight of someone filled you the way food, blood, and air never could, when you felt as if you'd been born for only one moment and this, for whatever reason, was it.” 97 likes