Start by marking “Siege: To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3: Part 1)” as Want to Read:
Siege: To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3: Part 1)

Siege: To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn #3 part 1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  14,884 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
Simon Snowlock and Prince Josua's band of allies gather at the Stone of Farewell. King Elias is drawn ever deeper into the dark sorceries of Ineluki, the Storm King. The badly depleted League of the Scroll searches for age-old knowledge with which to aid Prince Josua's much-outnumbered army. Across the face of Osten Ard lines are drawn as the final battle approaches, and t ...more
Published 1994 by Legend Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Siege, please sign up.

Skeptical It's the beard. Beards make everyone look older. ;) In addition, he's got that streak of white in his hair that also ages him up. :)

Kaitlin
This is the first half of book 3 in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams, and I definitely felt like this one started off stronger than the previous ones becuase it quickly (I say quickly in terms of Classic fantasy - which is often quite slow, so really not that quickly but quicker) gets into the action and focuses on quite a few different elements and exciting moments.

This story follows a fair few people who live in a world which is currently dominated by Winter and storms. Ther
Marina
Nov 24, 2015 Marina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review soon on eydis.co.

Not much to say, its most interesting part of the series so far. More on eydis.co.
Scott
Jun 23, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, re-read
Just wrote a really long review that Goodreads didn't save and I'm not in the mood to rewrite it so I'll put the abbreviated form below...

It's a re-read for me (first read it when it came out 25 years ago)

Part 1 of the 3rd book in the series

Love it
Great characters
Well moving plot - but slow enough to let it build
World building is incredible

In my opinion the best epic fantasy ever written - Lord of the Rings is the only thing in it's league and I think this is better than LOTR (although I do admi
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
What a fantastic first half of what was originally published as one full book.

I love this series. I always have and now after re-reading it again, I am confident in saying this is one of my all time favorite fantasy stories. Not just this book - but the entire trilogy (or Tetralogy now, I guess, since they have split the 3rd book into two parts).

The world building, the characters and their development, and Tad's wizard like storytelling powers pull me into the pages for hours at a time and when
Ulf Wolf
Mar 25, 2015 Ulf Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The spellbinding epic unfolds.

I can’t help but to continue to compare Tad Williams’ excellent trilogy to George R.R. Martin’s epic (and still in progress) Song of Ice and Fire (dramatized as Game of Thrones), of which I have read all published portions; and to be honest, Martin does not fare well in the comparison.

Both epic tales are long, huge canvasses with multiple threads and fates that move at varying pace across the page and in such a broad telling one can easily find oneself a little lost
Nadine
Jun 14, 2017 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
have to start part two of TGAT immediately tomorrow to know what happens since they decided to split the book at a mean point!
Adrian G Hilder
Sep 09, 2014 Adrian G Hilder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story shifts into a new gear with To Green Angel Tower: Seige the third of four books in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. The heroes of the tale begin to do better than just flounder the evil of the Storm King that upsets the balance of nature so greatly winter has come to all the land - Game of Thrones style "Winter is coming" (remember this series inspired George RR Martin to write his series).
Reading the book cover text, you would be forgiven for thinking this is the climax of the sto
Aldi
I know To Green Angel Tower is technically one book, but since 1) our hardcover edition has by now become too rare and valuable to use as a mere reading copy, and 2) I first read it split in two, as I'm doing now, I will treat it as two separate volumes - of which I will always consider Part 1 as The One Where Everything Starts To Come Back Together.

In fact, for being set smack in the middle of a world-wrenching conflict, this one has always struck me as a particularly uplifting book. Not becau
KostasAt
Dec 13, 2015 KostasAt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
8/10

(Review for both parts)
In the last book of the trilogy William gets us closer to the conclusion of the war, with the story becoming more epic and with the protagonists getting into even greater adventures than before.

Even though this book might be a little too big (the UK edition 1600 pages on both parts), I felt that the story flowed really well, and although it could definitely have been a little bit smaller it didn’t bother me in the end as Williams has made a very enjoyable story.
In the

Rating: Five Stars

Genre: Fantasy

Date Published: 1993

Series: Memory, Sorrow, Thorn #3

General: To Green Angel Tower Part 1 is the first part of the last book of the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy. Originally, it was split into two books for printing reasons, but I have seen books where you can get both parts in one book. (Tad Williams has a hard time writing trilogies without making them four books long.)

Plot: The story line, which was k
Vera Maslow
Mar 05, 2016 Vera Maslow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Series Book 3: Part 1

This one starts out very slow, but once it gets going it holds my interest better then the first two books. If you are someone who has made it this far into reading this epic fantasy, there is something you like about it. The world is grand, the characters all have their own personalities and flaws. i rally like the world, characters and meat of the story. At this point I feel there is a lot that could've been edited down in the series.
There is jus
Erik Oliver
Consider this a partial grading, because this is after all only half a book; while this installment of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn was easily up to par and worth five stars, it's only the first act of a greater work. Aside from a satisfying battle a little ways in, this part of To Green Angel Tower was mostly threading the story lines back together for what will undoubtedly be a gloriously epic finale. But while it doesn't earn five stars by itself, this part of TGAT was, as usual, beautifully wri ...more
Steven
Feb 24, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The realm of Osten Ard is falling under the dark magic of the undead Sithi Storm King. As the darkness spreads, King Elias is succumbing to the evil sorceries that is luring him into an unholy alliance. Prince Josua is struggling to rally the tattered forces of the hopeful in a effort to make a stand against the Storm King. The League of the Scroll’s only hope is to unravel the mysteries of long forgotten magic. Tad Williams continues to captivate readers with this epic tale that rival Tolkien’s ...more
Eduardo Schimitt
onward to part two
Logan
Oct 06, 2014 Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is getting really interesting now, as everything starts to come together and more of the past is revealed. This is probably my favorite book of the "trilogy" so far.
Duchess
Just FINISH it already, Tad, seriously, you're killing me here. Its not bad/boring enough for me to give up on it & is only *just* interesting enough to keep me reading.
Shaitarn .
May 09, 2017 Shaitarn . rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say that I haven't already said about this series? Superb world building and engaging characters. This is the first part of the third and final volume, and Tad Williams is starting to pull all the threads together to a definite end; the pace starts picking up and is engrossing throughout.
Jota Houses
Jun 09, 2017 Jota Houses rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Vale pues otras 800 páginas. Solo quedan 800. Un poco más animado que los anteriores, por fin nuestros héroes desperdigados terminan por reunirse en la Roca del Adios y la oposición a Elías empieza a recuperar la iniciativa. Pistas sobre el trasfondo se van acumulando-despacito eso sí.
Ya sigo por cabezonería.
Pete Victor
Jun 24, 2017 Pete Victor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very strong novel and a fantastic fantasy book. Highly recommended. you won't regret this one. You will be gladly amazed with the writer's quality of prose and storytelling. Absolutely captivating stuff.
Nikki
Jun 18, 2017 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And the adventure continues! Simon continues to be somewhat of a "mooncalf" but matures as the story goes on. The various storylines continue to unwind and intertwine. And most of the characters are a delight to get to know and follow on their paths.
Data
Mar 17, 2017 Data rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a massive work; part 1 of this work is over 800 pages. The story continues, although as Simon has discovered, war is something of a drag ...
Booth147
Jun 11, 2017 Booth147 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the previous books in the series, I found that this was the first I found difficult to put down. Excited but also immensely sad that I am nearing the end.
Andrew Kordower
May 22, 2017 Andrew Kordower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The world building just keeps getting better...
Jane Iacono
An epic novel that needs a little tweaking

This series was engaging enough to carry me through all three books. It had interesting creative cultures and people blended into the story. Often I found myself wondering how will he/ they get out of this situation. I wish the author would have only allowed Rachel to use the word "mooncalf" referring to the main character. When Simon kept referring to him this way it seemed immature. It would have liked Simon to have grown up sooner and become an inter
Luca Lesi
Benvenuti nel mondo di coloro che ogni giorno sono condannati a pensare e a porsi domande e a non sapere mai niente con certezza, un mondo dove è meglio un figlio di puttana che un santo, dove barche e spade sono "lei", tempeste e montagne sono "lui".
Benvenuti a Voi, proprio mentre arrivano i primi freddi "iq ta randayhet suk biqualuc" come si dice in quanuc "L'inverno non è la stagione per nuotare nudi" eccoci, sotto la copertina, continuiamo questa deliziosa trilogia che vede protagonisti Simo
Matt
Feb 05, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2013-reads
The first part of To Green Angel Tower hooks the reader from the first page with suspense, action, growing tensions that are unique to particular characters, and mysteries both solves and still unanswered. Tad Williams begins the finale of his series Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn with major characters still separated throughout the vast terrain of Osten Ard, but through course of the events bring many of them together only to separate them once again. The majority of the action takes place in and ar ...more
Rozele
Aug 25, 2015 Rozele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-reads
I'm seriously loving this series; it's so engaging and despite its length, once you have a moment to sit and simply read through the book, it's barely a hardship at all. Now in the first part of the last book, things are beginning to come together after all the building from the first two books. It's both frustrating and exciting to be able to finally get some action going and some movement after so much world building but I have to say that's its fascinating and altogether wonderful because it' ...more
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first half of the final book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy. Not being intended as a stand-alone book, it ends without any sort of conclusive note, leaving you with a burning desire to immediately pick up the next (and final) volume. That being said, this book is still great. Much better than the previous one, STONE OF FAREWELL. The story actually progresses nicely here, with events escalating and coming together for what should be a highly exciting finish.

This book is prim
Surreysmum
It seems a little silly to review this half-book (it doesn't break at any particularly climactic point in the plot), but it does have enough substance to bear a few comments of its own. If it warranted its own title, this volume could be called "The Battle of Sesuadra" (as opposed to "The Final Battle of Asua", which would be the last volume).

When I read Tolkien, I would always sigh when I got to the battle bits, which are my least favourite aspect of fantasy fiction. And there are plenty of th
Sam
I've been meaning to write the review for this since I finished it a couple of weeks back, but only now get round to doing it having finished the last book this morning. Though in a way I suppose it's kind of fitting since this was technically the first half of the final book. I'm relieved the publisher did split this into two, it was pretty heavy to hold up for any length of time, and I dread to think of potential binding collapse if it had all been in one book....

This one was better. There was
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
Tad Williams has held more jobs than any sane person should admit to—singing in a band, selling shoes, managing a financial institution, throwing newspapers, and designing military manuals, to name just a few. He also hosted a syndicated radio show for ten years, worked in theater and television production, taught both grade-school and college classes, and worked in multimedia for a major computer ...more
More about Tad Williams...

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (4 books)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
  • The Heart of What Was Lost (The Last King of Osten Ard, #0.5)

“But a mouse can be brave. Small as they are, though, they learn it is wiser not to challenge the cat.” 1 likes
“Of all the songs we Zida'ya sing," she (Aditu) murmured, "the closest to our hearts are those which tell of things lost."
"Perhaps that is because none of us can show something's value until it is gone," said Josua.”
0 likes