Start by marking “Foul Play” as Want to Read:
Foul Play

Foul Play

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  4,869 ratings  ·  433 reviews
When Amy Klasse loses her TV job to a dancing chicken, handsome veterinarian Jake Elliott rescues her with an offer to be his receptionist. Jake just can't resist a damsel in distress, and Amy certainly doesn't mind Jake's charming sincerity.

Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published February 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Foul Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foul Play

Kimberly
I read this one in one night. Cute story, but there isn't much to it. A little romance, a little humor, and a little adventure makes for a good night's entertainment.
Julie (jjmachshev)
I really enjoyed reading "Foul Play" by Janet Evanovich. This is one of her very early books written for a serial romance publisher in the late 80s/early 90s, and it's very well done for what it is. Evanovich describes these early books as "red-hot screwball comedies" and while I do agree with the screwball comedy, "Foul Play" was very much G-rated. So if you enjoy a very light romance with side-splitting laughter, this is definitely a book for you.
Dec 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die hard Janet Evanovich fans.
Light, fluffy and fun. It was fun to read this in part because it is early Evanovich - so it was rougher than her Plum books are - but her humor and motifs are still there.

I did have a hard time with some of the stuff in this book. The leading man is Jacob Elliott. He is in the parking lot at the grocery store waiting patiently for Mrs. Moyer and her dog to back out of a parking spot so he can pull in. (He knows it's Mrs. Moyer because he is the town Vet - and he recognizes her dog.) But! Befor
Cathy
Just a light, silly romance, but that's all it was meant to be. If you want a few chuckles, go for it.
Melissa
As I have previously mentioned, I love Janet Evanovich. But her early works are really fluffy and just okay. The premise of the book is a young woman named Amy gets fired from her job as Lulu the Clown because the new program director replaces her with a rooster. In her dismay, she catches the eye of a hunky veterinarian and they fall in love within a matter of minutes. Did I mention that she is a 26-year-old virgin? The job-stealing rooster winds up at veterinarian-man's place of work and soon ...more
Duncan Mandel

Then suddenly the job-stealing chicken disappears and Amy is suspected of foul play. Amy and Jake search for clues to prove her innocence. But will Jake be able to prove to Amy that love, too, is a mystery worth solving?

About the Author

Bestselling author

Dyana
The last book I read was complex and dense. So this time around I wanted a light quick read. Well, this book (my 1st Janet Evanovich) was so light and fluffy that it practically floated off when I set the book down!

Amy Klasse is Lulu the Clown on a local TV station and has just lost her job to a dancing chicken (and it's "hot" trainer). The rooster can cluck "The Star-Spangled Banner" and count with its toes. Hopping mad, Amy stops at a grocery store on her way home where Jake Elliott, a veterin
Hannah
Actually 3.5 stars.

This is a wacky, irreverent, and often laugh-out-loud funny book. It's a quick read, perfect for when you need a mood-booster. The romance between Jake and Amy is sweet, and the "mystery" plot, if it can even be called that, is highly entertaining. Very enjoyable, as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Joy
This is a funny, quick typlical Evanovich read. I enjoyed it, had some laughs, but not much else was gleaned from this one. But if you enjoy Janet Evanovich, I'm sure you will enjoy this one!
Tonya Lucas
A fun and witty light hearted romantic mystery! When life is so full of tension and turmoil, this is the kind of book to escape into. Enjoy!
Nicole
Cute little story, but there were so many things that bothered me. So much of the story drove me nuts, from Amy being pure to turning into a tramp, to Jake knowing from the minute he saw Amy that he wanted to marry her, to Veronica's complete stupidity and the idiot 20 minute men. When I tried to just sit back and enjoy a far fetched story I was better able to enjoy. If you're looking for realism, then just move on past this book. If you are looking for a ridiculous, yet still entertaining and f ...more
ariel would love this
Okay, I'm all for fun romance books but this was just a bit to much fluff for me. While I love the Stephanie Plum character, Janet Evanovich has a habit of making her heroine's cute but lovable klutz's. Which is fine for one character, but every heroine?! I didn't feel like J.E. wrote the character's thoughts & dialogue with a good flow, like what they were thinking would change so quickly between thoughts and conversations, I guess. It was an easy read, but this was way to much "love at fir ...more
Serena!
Ho un debole (un GROSSO debole!) per la serie di Stephanie Plum; amo lei, amo Joe Morelli, amo nonna Mazur e Lula e soprattutto le situazioni improbabili e l'ironia killer che la Evanovich è riuscita a creare..
Non so se avete mai avuto quel sentimento contrastante che vi porta a voler leggere TUTTO ciò che uno scrittore ha prodotto e contemporaneamente avete un po' paura di beccare il romanzo che porterà il disamore..
Ecco, tro un po' titubante a lanciarmi sui primi lidi creati dall'autrice, sop
Debbie
Love at first site, in a grocery store parking lot? Jacob Elliott was pretty sure he was hooked after the first site of Amy Klasse in all her klutzy ways like tearing her dress, dropping the eggs, forgetting her purse and locking her keys in her car. The store cashiers and customers all agreed that the local veterinarian was the type that any women would love to make dinner for, but Amy didn’t know if she could trust herself, he made her ‘tingle’ just being so close. What a day, she had lost her ...more
JBradford
I missed this one somewhere along the way, as i read it weeks ago but just came across it while trying to clean up my desk in order to find something else. I am very fond of Janet Evanovich's books, as I have previously mentioned, and this was a delightful find. This was one of 12 novels that Evanovich wrote before she discovered Stephanie Plum and became famous. It is a pure romance (maybe the word "pure" is inappropriate here) and full of the whimsical fun that makes Evanovich great. I am a su ...more
Jteare
Foul Play by Janet Evanovich is a corky, bubblegum read, romance novel. And I loved it!

I personally listened to this specific book using my iPhone, while driving to and from Tuscaloosa. This is a fluff read. Not deep, but entertaining. This is a perfect read for a pool day, airplane flight, or as I did it as a book on tape for car ride. Wildly entertaining, with an absurd plot line I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
The story opens by introducing you to the two main characters Amy Klasse and Jake El
C.C. Thomas
I chose this book because it was written by Janet Evanovitch and I love her Stephanie Plum series. This, folks, ain't no Plum! This was an early Evanovitch and it clearly shows (I believe it was originally written under another name). The book doesn't have the hallmarks of her masterful writing skill, but it was still a fun read. I found it inspiring, as an author, that great writers can show such growth and not come out of the womb a master author!

The plot is rather convoluted: Amy loves her j
Chris
This story is so light I'd better write this quickly before I forget what it was about. Evanovich's sense of humor does shine through those otherwise incredibly weak story. Amy Klasse is Lulu the Clown on the local TV station. Or she was until the station manager decided to replace her with a dancing chicken. While venting her frustration by just about destroying the local supermarket, Amy catches the eye of local veterinarian Jacob Elliot who is instantly smitten. He immediately picks up Amy an ...more
Miss*Kitty*
This book was a good one. It said it was a funny book to and it is. I got some laughs out of it. its a very interesting book to.
The chicken ends up missing and when it came to the end of the book and I found out what happen to the chicken I didn't see that coming so that part of the ending was real good. I would diffidently recommend this book to people to read if you would like to read a mystery comedy love book.
review by Connie
Ferne
There is a note that this book was originally published as a "Second Chance at Love" paperback in 1989, in a slightly altered form, by the Berkley Publishing Group under the pseudonym Steffie Hall. I did not realize that Janet Evanovich was one of the authors that published her work using a pseudonym. The new title and 'cover art' capture the story with the humor and lightheartedness that one can always expect from one of the author's novels.
Or, as per one of her quotes, "Romance novels are birt
Marcia
Actual Rating: ***1/2

This is another of early Janet Evanovich romances published under the name Steffie Hall. These books are always funny and fluffy--the perfect "inbetween" kind of book when you don't know what to grab next from Mt. TBR.

Opening lines:
Jacob Elliott flipped his left-turn signal on and patiently waited for Mrs. Moyer to pull out of her parking space. He knew it was Mrs. Moyer because her dog, Harold, was frantically clawing at the back window of her station wagon.
Amanda Meggs
I agree with most of the reviews. This one is a bit of fluff, written when Evanovich was not very experienced, it is a bit scrappy - some of the story rushed and some just doesn't go anywhere. At one stage it seems like Amy is going to have something in her past affecting her behaviour but it comes to nothing. I will probably read the others but not right away.
Anne
I bought the unabridged version of this to listen to on a trip, thinking it would be similar to other books Evanovich has written. I sadly learned that it was not like any other thing I had ever read by her. It was entertaining only by how silly it was and I would definitely not have read it to the end if it had been a book I was reading. It was silly and inane. Don't waste your time.
Celia
This is definitely a romantic comedy type of book. There isn't a lot of substance, and the circumstances of having a gorgeous dentist fall madly in love at first site, probably not. Still, I was in the mood for a good laugh, and this book had plenty of screwball moments.

Bonus: I listened to this on audio download. CJ Critt was the narrator, my favorite.
Jann Swanson
This time Evanovich doesn't deliver

The last time I reviewed one of her books I said she always delivers an
enjoyable read, but this book utterly fails at her usual loopy brand of mystery fun. The plot, what there is of it is juvenile and the character development consists of the leads constantly thinking how cute, sexy, adorable, etc, etc, etc the other one is.

Word of advice JE, stick to Stephanie.
Heather in FL
This was cutesy, and I liked it, but some things just drove me nuts. I'd say it was the age in which it was written, but 1989 isn't THAT long ago. My issues were with how Amy wanted to cook for Jake, wash his clothes, her fantasies were so 50s-woman that it just drove me nuts. I'm also not sure why in this and Love Overboard by Janet Evanovich, the women were virgins, and it was very important for them to give it up to someone they really cared about, but sheesh... in both they barely knew the men they gave it up to. I dunno. ...more
Susan
Very good book. I did, however, have the "criminal" pegged. I knew who it was all along, which kind of ruins it for me. That aside, it still captured my attention and I did want to finish the book to make sure I was correct.

A usual book by Janet Evanovich - crazy heroine who gets herself into all kinds of situations.
Sara
I'm absolutely shocked to see this book's original cover. It did not seem dated at all (much less THAT dated), and that earned it a whole 'nother star. That's really impressive.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the story... cute, funny, and you whip through it in a night.
Christina Simons
Light fluff from Evanovich BEFORE Stephanie Plum. The story was OK, but the reader was absolutely awful. She made the female lead sound so perky that I thought I was listening to a ten-year-old reeeeallly bad actress. Perhaps if I'd just read it I'd have liked it better.
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Michael's Discovery (The Devaneys #3)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle + Driven to Distraction + Taken for a Ride
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Lake Magic
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Ravish: The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty
  • Suck It, Wonder Woman!: The Misadventures of a Hollywood Geek
  • Cat's Cradle: Witch Mark
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)