Start by marking “Shadows of a Down East Summer (Antique Print, #5)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of a Down East Summer (Antique Print, #5)

Shadows of a Down East Summer (Antique Print #5)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the summer of 1890, two young women posed for artist Winslow Homer on the coast of Maine. What happened that summer, the secrets the women kept, and the lies they told, changed their families forever.

Now, more than a hundred years later, one of their descendants has been murdered, leaving to antique print dealer Maggie Summer the family papers that may finally reveal t
Published April 1st 2011 by Perseverance Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of a Down East Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of a Down East Summer

The Poacher's Son by Paul DoironClammed Up by Barbara  RossBoiled Over by Barbara  RossThe Dead Cat Bounce by Sarah GravesShadows of a Down East Summer by Lea Wait
Maine Mysteries
5th out of 81 books — 14 voters
The Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne JewettEmpire Falls by Richard RussoThe Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn ChutePet Sematary by Stephen King
Books Set in Maine
53rd out of 167 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
May 04, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
An exquisite blend of summer, Maine, art history, art facts, Winslow Homer, thefts, intrigue, and murder made this novel well worth the wait for Ms. Wait's latest in the 'Antique Print Mystery' series.

I love how the storyline pulled, us the reader, into the sleuth's mind. Maggie is visiting Will and his Aunt in Maine for a well-deserved vacation. The description of Down East Maine makes you feel you are sitting on the porch with them.

A genealogical search is introduced by the Aunt, and the next
Tricia
May 01, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I wanted to like this book more than I did, because I enjoyed the earlier ones in the story. The dialog in the first third or so felt very stilted. A lot of it seemed like it was for the reader's education - e.g. Maggie & Will talking about their respective antique business, even though they both know the details. Pandering to the reader. And I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but the painted toenails on this cover are very out of character for the series.

I was able to figure ou
Shadows of a Down East Summer
Author Lea Wait
Copyright April 2011
Publisher Perseverance Press

Maggie Summer had plans spend time in Maine with her boyfriend Will. They had plans to go antiquing together, working a few shows, and just spending alone time working on their relationship. She arrived to find that Will’s Great Aunt Nettie already had some of Will’s days planned out for him.

Will is one of Nettie’s sole relatives and he cares about her very much. He spends a few weeks a year doing maint
Linda Smatzny
Jan 04, 2015 Linda Smatzny rated it really liked it
This is the fifth book in the Shadows Antique Print Mystery series featuring Maggie Summer.Maggie is visiting her boyfriend Will Brewer and his Aunt Nettie in Waymouth, Maine. Shortly after arriving, Maggie finds the murdered body of a new friend. Other things start happening around Maggie and she is convinced it is because she has a journal written in 1890. The book was a quick easy read.
Kay Reynolds
Aug 21, 2015 Kay Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

It kept my interest throughout the book. However, it lacked the final appeal of a good mystery. The ending was cut short when it came.me to a mystery climax.
Susan
May 13, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-maine
Maggie Summers and her boyfriend Will are visiting his aunt Nettie, hoping to get in some antiquing and lobsters. Then a family friend, Carolyn, daughter of a well-known, now deceased, artist asks Maggie to help her research the biography she's writing of her mother, by going through some old family papers. Nettie warns Maggie that dangerous scandals lie buried in the pages, and a sudden death makes Maggie wonder if she's right. However, the papers reveal their secrets as soon as Maggie has time ...more
Michael Polizzi
Feb 15, 2015 Michael Polizzi rated it liked it
Enjoyable entry in this series but too easy to figure out the "who done it".
Kathleen
Jul 18, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is the latest in the series involving Maggie Summers, antique print collector and dealer, bringing together again characters from previous books. In 1890, two women pose for Winslow Homer; what ensues will not only change the course of their lives but also those of future generations. Their lies and secrets and the culture of small towns where “family” defines so much is at the center of this complicated mystery which Maggie unravels. The art references provide an important background again ...more
Deb
Sep 05, 2011 Deb rated it it was ok
NJ antique dealer in prints and particulary the 19thc prints goes to Maine for a 2 week visit at her boyfriend's family home where 91 yr. old Aunt Nettie resides. A murder takes place having to do with a diary written in the late 1800's; homer winslow the painter; an illegitimate child beget at the time homer was in Maine; the basis of a good mystery. It was slow going and with a 5-yr gap between LW's last book in this series I would've thought it would be better. A bit disappointing and obvious ...more
Cathy
Jan 22, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
A; One I grabbed at the library book sale. Not sure where it lands in the series, but the author kept previous events to a minimum so the reader wasn't lost. The female character isn't as quirky as the ones in the other chick lit mysteries I read, but it was an enjoyable story. There were references to the historic art scene in Maine and the leads were antique people. Short and engaging, the perfect beach book.
Bookwoman67
May 11, 2013 Bookwoman67 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the fifth book in the mystery series by this author, and I thought her writing has improved over the course of the series. There are some mild spoilers here if you haven't read the earlier books, but nothing major (I'd forgotten what she was talking about in that regard, to be honest). The main thing you'd miss if you read this as a stand-alone would be some background on the characters.
Carrie
Jul 14, 2011 Carrie rated it it was ok
For such a small book, it took an incredibly long time to read. I'd have given it up if it wasn't for the fact that the book takes place in Maine and revolves around Winslow Homer and art.
Diane S ⛄
Apr 05, 2011 Diane S ⛄ rated it really liked it
This latest book in the antique print series has been a 10 year wait. Taking place in Maine this mystery includes family and town secrets as well as personal relationships.
Ruth Kevghas
Nov 29, 2012 Ruth Kevghas rated it really liked it
I love her mysteries-- this one didn't have as much going on with the antiques' shows as I usually enjoy, but love to observe the love growing between her and Will.
Leslie
Jun 27, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
Another interesting mystery surrounding antiques and, this time, the art world of Winslow Homer. Interesting genealogy and art history notes.
Edna
Jun 01, 2013 Edna rated it really liked it
Light mystery but all her comments about the antique business and doing shows is right on the mark which is why I appreciate this series.
Johanna
Jun 25, 2011 Johanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I liked the historical aspect of this book, but could not have cared less about the characters or the plot set in the present.
Janette
Apr 14, 2011 Janette rated it it was ok
This was better than the last one, more believable anyway. Sort of boring. I already had it so I went ahead and read it.
dawna
May 29, 2012 dawna rated it did not like it
it wasnt completely awful, but not my thing at all.
Deshay
May 14, 2011 Deshay rated it really liked it
Glad to see a new entry in this series!
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Jan 28, 2016
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Susan Ryan
Susan Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
  • High Tide at Noon (Tide Trilogy, #1)
  • Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on the Moor (Rex Graves Mystery, #4)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • A Dress to Die For (Mandy Dyer, #3)
  • Spider Web (Benni Harper, #15)
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • Backstage Stuff (Jane Wheel, #7)
  • Making a Splash
  • A Skeleton in the Closet
  • Walking in Fire (Hawaiian Heroes, #1)
  • How to Party with a Killer Vampire (Party Planning, #4)
  • Black Thunder (Ella Clah, #16)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • A Gift for Murder
Maine author Lea Wait writes the NYT-praised 7-book Shadows Antique Print Mystery series, the latest of which is SHADWS ON A MAINE CHRISTMAS, and the Mainely Needlepoint series which debuted with TWISTED THREADS in January, 2015, and was followed by THREADS OF EVIDENCE in August, 2015, and THREAD AND GONE, in January, 2016. Wait also writes acclaimed historical novels for ages 8 and up set in 19th ...more
More about Lea Wait...

Antique Print (7 books)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • Shadows on the Coast of Maine (Antique Print, #2)
  • Shadows on the Ivy (Antique Print, #3)
  • Shadows at the Spring Show (Antique Print, #4)
  • Shadows on a Cape Cod Wedding (Antique Print, #6)
  • Shadows on a Maine Christmas (Antique Print, #7)