Start by marking “Ring of Fire III” as Want to Read:
Ring of Fire III

Ring of Fire III (Ring of Fire Anthology #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Collection #3 of rollicking and idea-packed alternate history tales written by today’s hottest science fiction writers and edited by New York Times best-seller Eric Flint. After a cosmic accident sets the modern-day West Virginia town of Grantville down in war-torn seventeenth century Europe, these everyday, resourceful Americans must adapt – or be trod into the dust of th ...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Baen (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ring of Fire III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ring of Fire III

On Basilisk Station by David WeberRing of Fire by Eric FlintTorch of Freedom by David WeberBolo! by David WeberThe Service of the Sword by David Weber
Loren's Lost List
18th out of 51 books — 5 voters
1632 by Eric FlintGrantville Gazette, Volume I by Eric FlintRing of Fire by Eric Flint1633 by Eric FlintGrantville Gazette II by Eric Flint
Assiti Shards Chronological Order
21st out of 29 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Timothy
Jul 30, 2011 Timothy rated it it was ok
Though the third book of the Ring of Fire anthology series, "Ring of Fire III" is actually the 19th book of the actual Ring of Fire/1632 series; and as such it feels it's age. Originally created as a 'what if' of events when the present met past, this series by now feels like it has lost all focus of what to do and where to go.

Some of the stories in Ring of Fire III were pretty interesting. The gem of the group was Mercedes Lackey's "Dye Another Day". Maybe it's because she's a well experienced
Liviu
The third RoF anthology was ok but because the universe of the series got too crowded with so many stories and side novels beyond the main storyline which is still excellent, and I was left very meh overall by it; not even the usually dependable main author (E Flint) novella contribution impressed me that much - the last 10 pages were very good but a lot of the rest was truly by the numbers prose i felt the author copy/pasted from other works and changed names and a little here and there. None o ...more
Bill
Jun 02, 2012 Bill rated it liked it
From the Preface of Ring of Fire III:
In one way or another, all of the stories in this volume open up or further develop various themes in the 1632 series.
Flint's short novel (“Four Days on the Danube”) provides the sub-plot hinted at in 1636: The Saxon Uprising and serves as a bridge to the next novel in the series centered on Mike Stearns.
Chuck Gannon’s story “Upward Mobility” comes just before Flint's because it provides some of the background for my story.
Mercedes Lackey’s story “Dye Anothe
Ken Kugler
Oct 19, 2011 Ken Kugler rated it really liked it
I have been in love with this series for 10 years now and look forward to every new book.
Now that I got that love thing out of the way I can tell you that there are 21 short(mostly) stories in the volume. Most are a whole lot of fun and some are a little off for my taste. With alternative history there is always the chance for some startling changes for real life characters we are all familiar with. The one with Milton was one of my favorite and surely rolls with what can happen when the time l
Leelan
Oct 16, 2015 Leelan rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

Except for about 25 missing pages. I've sent the book back to the seller since the manufacturer has not replied.
I've been buying books since the second grade, maybe forty-six years now, and this is the first really defective book I've ever bought out of my library of over three thousand books. That's not too bad an average I think.
Sylvia McIvers
I read this book when it came out in 2011, and in context with the series, it was pretty good. Now, there are maybe three stories that are still good. The rest are... meh. Not bad, just boring.
James
Feb 07, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
Another excellent entry to the 'Ring of Fire' canon. Stories from established authors like Eric Flint and Mercedes Lackey are supported by entries from less well known authors.

If you were given the chance to read all the work you would write in the future, what would you do. This is the dilemma facing John Milton in Mark Huston's 'Milton's Choice'. Arrest on the orders of King Charles he is given the chance to read all his fututre work and asked to re-write two works critical of the King, or fac
James Willey
Jan 29, 2016 James Willey rated it it was ok
Shelves:
A collection of short stories. Too many of them were uninteresting to me.
Topher
Oct 27, 2012 Topher rated it really liked it
The continuing saga of Grantville. The Ring of Fire books (those with that title, not the series) are more connected than the Gazettes, but not as connected as, say, The Ram Rebellion. Some of the stories were good, and some of them were very good. I definitely enjoy this series, though my enjoyment has definitely morphed. Originally, it was the problem of survival in a time displacement; now, it is clear that the town is here to stay, and its a question of how will history change as a result of ...more
James
Jul 23, 2011 James rated it liked it
Just started this book other than the first story it been very weak. Hopfully it well inprove as it goes along. There are some good storys in this book. Over all I gave it only 3 stars and very weak 3 stars. This book was not nearly as good as the early ones. Many of the stories did not grab you as the earlier books in the Ring of Fire did.
Bob
Jul 25, 2011 Bob rated it really liked it
This a collection of short stories by top writers based on characters and events from the 1632 novel. All good, some better than others and n Eric's forward,it looks like there is plenty more to come as the new Grantville changed history expands to the far east and the Americas.
Joe
Apr 22, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
A very good update on lots of our characters.
This world is moving very fast.

I like what I see.
The change of European historty is begining to show effects in other places around the world.
I like it!
Watch the skies above. Technology is coming.
Kevin
May 21, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
Though the multitude of characters is often bewildering in this series, this volume contains several excellent short stories that are largely tied together. It was enjoyable, and could even be enjoyed independently of other books in the series.
Bret
Jan 30, 2012 Bret rated it liked it
Shelves: read-since-2012
I love the Ring of Fire universe but I found the short stories in this book to be more uneven than in the previous Ring of Fire anthologies. This felt more like a Grantville Gazette book than a Ring of Fire.
Ron
A collection of tales set in the 1632 universe that fill in gaps in the main storyline. The last tale is crucial in filling in details in the sideshow that is Bohemia. Enjoy at your own risk.
Elisabeth Waters
Jul 07, 2011 Elisabeth Waters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I've always liked the 'Ring of Fire' universe, and this book is worth buying for the first story alone: Mercedes Lackey's "Dye Another Day."
Stan Morris
Apr 25, 2012 Stan Morris rated it really liked it
A solid book for this series and much better than the Grantville Gazette book. A lot of prologue for other novels and a good Eric Flint piece.
E Krieg
Good collection.One story involving airships is great.This is still occuring around the 30 years War but there are changes.
Bruce
Nov 03, 2012 Bruce rated it liked it
An excellent example of the second contemporary series that seems to defy degradation with extension.
Roy
Jan 05, 2013 Roy rated it really liked it
VEry good stories. I am amazed at how much I enjoy these books,
Gail Morris
Aug 21, 2015 Gail Morris rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
some of the stories were absolutely great, and
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Susan Rogers
Susan Rogers rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Kevin P
Kevin P rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Ethan Worner
Ethan Worner rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Ariel Rosenfeld
Ariel Rosenfeld rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Allen Hunter
Allen Hunter rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
  • The Age of Louis XIV (The Story of Civilization, #8)
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • 1635: Music and Murder (1632 Universe)
  • Man Walks into a Pub: A Sociable History of Beer
  • By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Champions
  • The Dorothy Dunnett Companion
  • 1636: Seas of Fortune
  • 1920: America's Great War
  • The Sea Rover's Practice: Pirate Tactics and Techniques, 1630-1730
  • Burdens of the Dead (Heirs of Alexandria, #4)
  • Against the Tide of Years (Nantucket, #2)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • A Different Flesh
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • Venice: Lion City: The Religion of Empire
  • A Mankind Witch  (Heirs of Alexandria, #1.5)
  • The Forever Engine
  • A Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume I
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.
More about Eric Flint...

Ring of Fire Anthology (4 books)
  • Ring of Fire (Ring of Fire Anthology, #1)
  • Ring of Fire II (Ring of Fire Anthology, #2)
  • Ring of Fire IV