Start by marking “The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers” as Want to Read:
The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers

The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers

With a combined total of over 300,000 Girlfriends' Guides in print, Vicki Iovine offers the kind of tongue-in-cheek humor and straight-from-the-hip advice that has made her one of today's most popular authorities on child rearing. Now she takes the next step in the Girlfriends series by helping mothers deal with that mysterious, baffling, often adorable and frequently alar ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Perigee Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers

Samilja
A girlfriend (of course) gave this to me three years ago when my daughter was born. Though I love the friend, I don't always love her taste in books. She'd given me several of the 'Sweet Potato Queens' books along with a hearty recommendation and let's just say, well, my recommendation of those would be stingy at best.

But I stumbled across this the other day and started skimming for the heck of it. Next thing I knew I was fully engrossed. Although written with a wry, comic flair this book actual
Holly
Sep 21, 2009 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like the "guide to pregnancy" but this was really cynical. Always saying how hard and basically awful having a toddler is. Also was not encouraging about saving another child. did give a small bit of good advice about "lovies".
Tina
Mar 22, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember much about this book but it was nice to hear about raising children from a mom instead of some Doctor.
Katie
May 22, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This lady is hilarious. I enjoy reading her books, although I don't entirely agree with everything she writes. But still, I don't dread reading her books about babies because she makes me giggle when I'm reading it!

I did skip the sections that don't pertain to Amelia quite yet (like potty training and school). The section I got the most out of was the temper tantrum section and the eating/nutrition section. I learned how to deal with tantrums, how to prevent them and how to tell the differences
Libby
Like her other book, Vicki continues to be witty, charming, and has a way of saying exactly what you're thinking in the funniest way. However, I didn't find this one to be as useful as the first two, (her pregnancy one and her new baby one) more just something that makes the reader feel like they might not be such a bad parent after-all, so I stopped reading it. This would be great for someone who worries a lot about if they're doing a good enough job as a parent and feels like they need validat ...more
Jenny Conatser
Mar 09, 2012 Jenny Conatser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love Vicki Iovine's books. This one was no exception. She has a talent for making mothers (well, me at least) feel normal, and is very reassuring about the difficulties associated with childrearing. There's a lot of good information in this book, and it's delivered with humor and love. My favorite was the idea of the "participatory time out." I had never thought of sitting with Lily during her time outs, and so far the technique has really worked for us...in a way that nothing else has.
Cassi
Jul 06, 2015 Cassi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new moms
Shelves: have
I really enjoyed the Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers. Written pre-blogs it's well organized and connected. But more importantly Vicki Lovine gives good advice that proves no matter what "new" thing is floating around Facebook, we've mostly been doing it the same forever. Lovine's message that you are doing it right anyway you're doing it, with a few survival tips, is a chink in the armor of the mommy-wars. She is loving and supportive and funny. And for some of the 90s references take us back to ...more
Morgan Schulman
I love that it was an real-live account by a real-live mother, instead of condescending advice by a male doctor. I generally love her books because they are so honest and real, but this one, I just didn't relate... Maybe because I don't live in LA, or in 1999, maybe because I work, maybe because I have a boy, maybe because I just have one. Her struggles have not been my own. So this was validating, but not super-helpful. I enjoyed her irreverent take on motherhood, though. She seems like she wou ...more
Becky
May 10, 2012 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to hear about other mother's toddlers. It gives sort of a "we are all in the same boat" feeling. Comforting in that I feel like I have it really easy compared to some of the toddler behaviors in the book. Unfortunately, the book is rather dated. Also, as the book progressed, I realized that the author was not offering very much advice. Just reporting instances from her children and from her Girlfriends' children. I did not find this book particularly useful, but it was, as I said, en ...more
Deborah LaRoche
I guess if you have really high expectations for a really calm, well-ordered household while raising a toddler or two, this book could help you manage your transition into the reality of tantrums, dirty laundry, potty training, and so on. Otherwise, I didn't find much new information, though I suppose it was nice to know I'm not alone in some of the frustrations that come with parenting a kid who you love with all your heart but who also makes you a little bit insane.
Susie
Jul 06, 2008 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remembering that these books are not medical advice, they contain advice you would (or ought to) receive from all your girlfriends, sisters and sisters-in-law if they were honest and had experience, this was a pretty good book. Entertaining, but not too enlightening. Surviving the First Year of Motherhood had a lot more impact for me. Perhaps in another few years...
Kelli
Dec 05, 2008 Kelli added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom's with time to kill
I really liked reading "the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy." Maybe because, though each pregnancy is different, there really isn't that much variation on what your body goes through. This book, however, just annoyed me. I think it's because I am obviously the most fantastic mother and didn't appreciate someone criticizing my parenting. Ah well.
Lori
Aug 04, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty thorough book. Maybe not so much of a great book to just sit down and read all the way through, but rather one to have on hand to look up certain topics as you come across them with your toddler. It goes into a lot of detail and seems like it would be a great book to reference, although not a terribly exciting read to read cover to cover.
Kristi
Apr 08, 2009 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vicki Iovine's "girlfriends' guides" are my favorite books on childrearing -- very funny, real, and not guilt-inducing (unlike the "What to Expect" series, which set the bar so high that just reading them wears me out). The toddlers one hits a number of big issues like getting them to eat healthily (great tips on this).
Lain
Feb 14, 2008 Lain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as useful or interesting as the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, but still mildly helpful and entertaining. I still think in interest of full disclosure, the author should have revealed that she's a millionaire (married to recording exec Jimmy Iovine) instead of making it sound like she's "one of us."
Mandy
Apr 19, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great book for anyone with toddlers. While some of it didn't apply to my toddler - mostly the section on food since she is a really great eater and loves trying new things.

I will be keeping this book and will probably refer to it as my toddler gets older and gets into things like potty training and preschool.
Tammy Bolt-Werthem
a must read for mother's of toddlers, and yes, i do agree with the author: when your kid is walking, no matter what the age, he is suddenly a Toddler. i loved the analogies and i found my self laughing out loud and relating will to the real ness of the author. very fun and engaging and also full of great ideas on how to handle those little ones we love
Jen
Jan 23, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It was funny and entertaining, and I think the author provided some very realistic approaches and ways of looking at toddler-rearing. Her views, based on parenting four kids, were pretty practical and to-the-point, which I liked a lot. I’ve read most of the GG guides and took a lot away from all of them! I’d definitely recommend this one, too.
Kristie
Sep 04, 2008 Kristie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I read The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy and laughed my pregnant booty off. This book was given to me so thought I'd give it a read. So far, it's not as funny as the other, but enjoyable nonetheless.

So I never did finish this one...I may have to try again later but it just didn't hold my attention.
Suzanne
Apr 06, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vicki Iovine continues with the humor that made "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" a hit. This book will make you laugh, especially if you have a child/children aged 1-4 years, and there are a few helpful hints as well. For some reason, whenever I read Vicki Iovine I always feel better about how I'm doing as a parent....
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you tell I have twin toddlers and am feeling in need of some expert advice lately??? This book was reassuring and comforting the way good girlfriends always are, but wasn't as funny as Naptime is the New Happy Hour. If you are raising a toddler and need some relief and only have time for one book, read Wilder-Taylor's book over this one.
Natalie
Probably the most easy and fun parenting book I've ever read. It has some good advice, but came as if from one of your girlfriends or maybe your sister. I did find some of it very helpful. You don't need to read the whole thing... just the parts you are concerned with to make it an even faster read.
Connor
Jul 21, 2008 Connor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, well Parker was screaming his head off when I was in Barnes & Noble looking for this book b/c he wanted to get down and tear all of the books from the shelves - reinforced my need for this one...

Finished it, thought it was so-so. Lauged a ton with the 1st two of hers I read. Maybe I'm just tiring of her sense of humor by now but I didn't find it that funny or very informative...
Eileen
I always enjoy her books. She has a very laid back attitude about parenting and she has some funny lines. You don't read her books for hardcore parenting advice, but if you want something lighthearted and funny, here you go.
Maggie Hall
Oct 19, 2008 Maggie Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like her guide to pregnancy, I wouldn't recommend this as the ONLY parenting guide. But heck it's funny at times and quite helpful. Offers a lot of reality checks and good perspective about things like potty training, biting and mother-to-mother etiquette.
Genevieve
eh. i think if you're really freaked out about mom rules of conduct, then maybe. but i found myself feeling like ms. iovine maybe is too worried about how she appears to strangers and how her toddler appears to strangers, and i found myself more worried for her than anything. some fun humor.
Caroline Magill
Aug 25, 2013 Caroline Magill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friendly, reassuring read that I've referenced for both of my children. Toddlers can be loving, adorable and tender and in the next moment like something possessed! This book has helped me through those times when I'd prefer not to admit that 'that child is actually mine'!
Susanna
Dec 28, 2008 Susanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious so far! Loving it! Later... Finished this book- great read! Truly funny and encouraging. Not the book for you if you're looking for hardcore info on how to raise your child- more the book if you're looking for comfort that you're not going insane in the process!
Jodi
Jul 03, 2008 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been snacking on this book on and off all day and find it just refreshing. It really is just like talking to another mom on the block. Is she perfect or have the "right" answers....no...but neither do I! Plus I have laughed outloud more today then in a LONG time so that's something!
Lisa
I still enjoyed the style and humor of the author, but did not find this one as funny as "the original". I think chasing after a toddler did not allow me as much time to read and laugh like I did when I read GG to Pregnancy!
  • The 7 Worst Things Good Parents Do
  • The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
  • Ask Supernanny: What Every Parent Wants to Know
  • Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth: Information You Can Trust from the Leading Experts in Women's Health Care
  • Naptime Is the New Happy Hour: And Other Ways Toddlers Turn Your Life Upside Down
  • The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women
  • An Innocent, a Broad
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • Babyproofing Your Marriage: How to Laugh More, Argue Less, and Communicate Better as Your Family Grows
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Momfidence!: An Oreo Never Killed Anybody and Other Secrets of Happier Parenting
  • The Helper
  • The Mask of Motherhood: How Becoming a Mother Changes Our Lives and Why We Never Talk About It