Start by marking “Jasmine” as Want to Read:
Jasmine

Jasmine

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  2,115 ratings  ·  156 reviews
When Jasmine is suddenly widowed at seventeen, she seems fated to a life of quiet isolation in the small Indian village where she was born. But the force of Jasmine's desires propels her explosively into a larger, more dangerous, and ultimately more life-giving world. In just a few years, Jasmine becomes Jane Ripplemeyer, happily pregnant by a middle-aged Iowa banker and t ...more
Published April 5th 1999 by Grove Press (first published 1989)

The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa LahiriThe Namesake by Jhumpa LahiriThe Inheritance of Loss by Kiran DesaiBrick Lane by Monica Ali
South Asian Fiction by Women
11th out of 71 books — 84 voters
Born Confused by Tanuja Desai HidierThe Contract by Zeenat MahalInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa LahiriDone With Men by Shuchi Singh KalraHaveli by Zeenat Mahal
Desi Chick Lit
51st out of 216 books — 266 voters

More lists with this book...

Georgia
I was recommended this book following a lecture series on US-Indian literature, and unfortunately, it does not live up to its hype. A young Indian widow's quest to fulfill her late husband's will by traveling to America and visiting the college he attended would make an interesting starting point for a story about a woman's search for her identity in a foreign country, but sadly, this endeavour soon falls flat due to one-dimensional protagonists and plot "twists" in the style of an improbable Bo ...more
Andrew Kubasek
In the name of honesty, I read this book for a class taught by the author. It was a great class, and she used the novel as a great example of things like how a writer thinks, approaching symbolism, and the writing and publishing process generally.

Still, this book, although unique, failed to really strike a chord with me. I felt no sympathy or disgust for any of the characters, even though I got the sense that I was supposed to feel SOMETHING. What this book did do well was intrigue me enough to
Emilie
Aug 12, 2012 Emilie added it
I have no idea what to think about this book. Did I like it? Hm... Did I dislike it... Hm... I kinda nothing it.

While reading this I kept wondering wether it would get a spot in my bookshelf or go to a second hand. The latter won. Because of the ending. What the heck was up with the ending? It destroyed the whole story that COULD have been something. Thanks to the ending I know for sure it was nothing.

Identity crisis and culture shock is a serious matter that affects a lot of people. Doesnt me
The Book Maven
What will you give to be an American? What will you give to experience the American dream, to grasp all the prosperity and security and happiness that so many Americans seem to have?

For Jyoti, a seventeen-year-old widow who lost her husband to the violence that plagues India, there's not a lot she won't do. Illegally immigrate? Sure, why not? Commit murder? Steal another woman's husband, and then leave him? There you go. As Jyoti gradually acclimates to the society and values of America, she lea
Anesa
I much enjoyed this engrossing tale, especially the voice of the heroine/narrator as she struggles through adversity and begins to discover her own power to make a better life for herself. Pages and paragraphs alternate between several settings: India, where Jasmine’s beloved husband is murdered by religious zealots; Florida, where she makes illegal entry to the United States and survives a dire assault by her human trafficker; New York, where she works as an au pair; and rural Iowa, where she b ...more
Donna
In a little more than 200 pages Jasmine, the narrator, tells her story. She went back and forth in time piecing it together. She was born in Hasnapur, India, 18 years after the Partition of India. She was the 5th daughter and 7th of 9 children. In 1947, due to the partition, her parents fled the city of Lahore where they lived a comfortable life and moved to Hasnapur where they now lived in poverty. For Jasmine there would be no money for a dowry. And “bad luck followed dowryless wives, rebellio ...more
Sharon Christy
This book is about a child's immigration to India. For we see all through the novel that Jasmine, call her what you will, is only a child. And the name changes, people call my Christy, Chris, some even take pride in calling me by my imaginary full name, Christina while I am just Christy. That doesn't mean I have multiple personalities, it means people like to call you differently. And also in many places, I find Jyoti or Jasmine acting like a child. When Karin calls her a gold digger, she defian ...more
Johnny
I first read this in graduate school with a professor who assigned the book and then once we finished reading it proceeded to totally deconstruct it. A post-colonial Indian himself, he took umbrage with the backward depiction of rural life in India. I was very impressionable and spent the next ten years thinking Mukherjee was a hack writer with simple minded constructions.

On a second read at a more mature age, I see now that there is much to like in this novel; the fragmented and nonlinear const
Minoli
I like this book for its writing. The language is beautiful, and full of sarcastic poetry. When I read it first I gave it three stars. But then after studying the book today, I am compelled to increase it to a four star rating.

This book makes one question many things. Including if this is about Jyoti's journey from entrapment to liberation linear, or has it been in a circle, aided by men, never truly independent.
Brandon
Second time reading this book. Both times it was assigned in a Lit course, and I can't figure out why it is receiving so much love from the academy. I find this book to be kind of entertaining, but it is a mess as well. It just goes off in so many directions and fails to really bring any of them home. I don't think this novel deserves to be taught and I wouldn't recommend it.
I am interested in reading some of the author's other works though as I think she can write some nice sentences, and has
Aisha
This book annoyed me. The protagonist annoyed me, intensely.
There was a LOT of jumping between timeframes, in a very inconsistent manner, and though there are plenty of other books which vacillates between different timezones, the story flows smoothly with them. In this case though, I was like, ok, we're in India. No, NYC. No, scrap that, we're in Iowa- or wait, where are we again?
Plus the woman. I just found it slightly unrealistic, that a woman from a supremely rural Indian village was able to
Jamie Nelson
This book still fascinates me. It was integral to my undergrad senior thesis (over 10 years ago) - American Studies interdisciplinary look at immigration and the depiction of immigration and assimilation in fiction. I don't read it so much as a story, but how it turns immigration stereotypes upside down, and plays with names and geography for creating identity.
Sam Musher
May 10, 2015 Sam Musher marked it as couldn-t-finish
I'm halfway through and still don't know who Jyoti/Jasmine/Jane is. This might be intentional -- the author seems to be making some sort of point about immigrants, especially female ones, having to mold themselves to the desires of their American hosts -- but it doesn't make for an engaging book.

What's more, it is exactly the sort of depressing story about hopeless lives that is the reason I don't read adult fiction. In this book, women are at best symbols, at worst transactions -- never people
Marcy
Jasmine is one of the few women who wanted to entirely escape the traditional woman's role in Hasnapur, India after having married a young man of modern sensibility. Having been widowed at only 17, she tries to realize the dreams she and her husband had for each other in America. Her dreams were not easily attained as any new immigrant knows...
Mikanrulz
an interesting look into the forming of an identity. The main lead is an Indian woman who migrate to the US for a purpose, and through many hardships, she did arrive in the US soil - though this was only the beginning of her real journey.

The way the main lead literally created another name to represent another identity for each place she had dwelled in felt very real to me.

The only complain I have about this book is the inherent cinderella complex that is still quite apparent here, were every ma
Andrew Reid
Aug 28, 2007 Andrew Reid rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ummm
I couldn't relate to the story, style of writing, or plot. It was a disjointed narrative of one woman's search for identity while she attempts to become an American, not Indian American. That would be fine with me if the plot was half ways interesting.
Gretchen
According to the back of this book, this is a story about "becoming an American". I think that it is more about adapting the different parts of yourself to your situation and working through all those parts to find the person you want to be.
Maria
A story of immigration and emancipation that is worthwhile in itself, but the narrative suffers because the writing is uneven. There are two schocking scenes that are riveting page turners. Otherwise you might find yourself skimming.
Serahae
Read twice: first 2013, then again 2015
Kaion
Jasmine (1989) is the third book of Bharati Mukherjee's that I've picked up, and I've definitely gained the sense that Mukherjee would really be a cool professor to have. Her writing tends to have a quality of being more successful as Professor Mukherjee's lectures on identity and global modernity than well-constructed narratives.

As a novel following the journey of Jyoti/Jasmine/Jane, who goes from Indian country girl/beloved wife to illegal immigrant/Upper West Side nanny to Midwest trophy wi
Aimee
The writing is beautiful and lyrical, but that's the book's downfall. Mukherjee let the writing get in the way of the story and the characters.
We learn a lot about Jasmine's life in India and in America, but I for one never felt like I got to know Jasmine herself. She seemed a chameleon, always making herself over, adopting new identities and never showed me her true self; seemed like she didn't even know herself who she really was.
She also seemed very emotionless, as if she was watching her lif
Vishnu
This book had many things going for it that just completely resonated for me: 1) Indian immigration story; 2) Set in rural America; 3) With a brief stint in NYC. Beyond all of that, I thought the protagonist was a complex, believable, and beautifully flawed character. Compelling and engaging from start to finish. If there was one weakness, maybe the rural scenes didn't ring as true for me, and there was a certain depth that was lacking (maybe because the book is so short). That said, all in all ...more
Paula
This is a novel that I had placed in my discard pile, but retrieved to re-read after a friend told me she had really liked it. Almost all the way through I was happy to be reading this book again & thinking that I would keep it after all. Acutely post-colonial (as we called such novels 15 years ago) in its point of view, it seems very up to date in its insider understanding of the often bizarrely complex interior and exterior lives of many immigrants, particularly illegal ones from poor coun ...more
Melissa
This novel was not what I expected. When I first picked it up I had thought it would be about a woman's life in India. And to an extent it was, however, it took a twist and brought the woman to America.

The main character is a woman named Jasmine. Throughout the story she goes by several other names including Jane, Jyoti, and Jase. Each name she has seems to bring its own life with it and she has several different periods of time in her life.

She starts out as a young girl in India where she marri
bookczuk
HAd it not been for the Stanford Book Salon, I probably would not have picked this book up to read, despite my interest in Indian culture. Until the reading list came out, it had flown completely under my reading radar. The group was asked to keep in mind the question, "To what extent is Jasmine, or anyone for that matter, in control of his/her destiny?" while reading the book. Having been involved in one too many destiny versus free will discussions in my lifetime, I conveniently let that slip ...more
HenHud Library
At seventeen, Jasmine travels alone to America to escape the isolation imposed on widows in rural India. An act of violence shortly upon her arrival in the United States sets in motion the beginning of a major transformation as Jasmine struggles to survive, build a new life, find love and adapt to her new country.

As the story of Jasmine’s character and her transformation unfolded, I felt very conflicted. Her story touches upon both the great kindness and compassion of people reaching out to help
Annette
Nov 04, 2008 Annette rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who likes to read journey books
Recommended to Annette by: school
I thought that this book was okay. I think I did get something out of it. I did learn that life is not easy at all. In the book, Jasmine went through a lot of journeys. And throughout these journeys, there were a lot of obstacles.
It was a hard for life for Jasmine ever since her husband was killed in India. After his death, she illegally went to America and was raped. She later was saved by an American lady from Florida. There she helped her get to her destination which was Flushing, New York.
Don J.
"Jasmine" is a powerful tale about an Indian woman widowed at seventeen, who sets off for America in search on a new life. Make no mistake about it, this is a fantastic heroes journey --few times have I ever rooted so hard for a protagonist and cheered as the heroine overcomes struggle after struggle. This is a tough book to review as I don't want to give anything away, but trust me on this: it is worth your time.

What I find so endearing about this book, and Jasmine herself is her never lie down
Debra
At age twenty-four, Jyoti is struggling to fit in and adjust to life in Baden, Iowa. Having suffered poverty, the death of her father and husband in India, plus rape and near starvation on the ship to America, adjusting to a new life and culture isn’t that easy.

Jasmine is about a young woman forced to keep reinventing herself to survive and adjust to changing circumstances. Even her name changes from Jyoti, to Jasmine, to Jane as she tries to figure out who she wants to become. When the book ope
Dusty
Jasmine is another book I bought (and didn't use) for a college class. I carried it around with me for half a decade and decided, finally, as I was restocking my bookshelves after my latest move, that time had come to either read it or dump it. I'm glad I didn't decide to toss it into the wastebasket.

Book is about a small-town Punjabi woman named Jyoti, widowed before her eighteenth birthday, who is faced with a conundrum: Wives in her community do not survive their husbands. They die first, or
500 Great Books B...: Jasmine - Bharati Mukherjee 3 12 Feb 12, 2015 11:37AM
  • The Floating World
  • China Men
  • The House of Blue Mangoes
  • The Winged Seed: A Remembrance
Bharati Mukherjee is an award-winning Indian born American writer. She is currently a professor in the department of English at the University of California, Berkeley.

More about Bharati Mukherjee...
Desirable Daughters Miss New India The Holder of the World The Middleman and Other Stories The Tree Bride

“The world is divided between those who stay and those who leave.” 2 likes