Start by marking “Jasmine” as Want to Read:
Jasmine

Jasmine

3.38  ·  Rating Details ·  2,536 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
When Jasmine is suddenly widowed at seventeen, she seems fated to a life of quiet isolation in the small Indian village where she was born. But the force of Jasmine's desires propels her explosively into a larger, more dangerous, and ultimately more life-giving world. In just a few years, Jasmine becomes Jane Ripplemeyer, happily pregnant by a middle-aged Iowa banker and t ...more
Published April 5th 1999 by Grove Press (first published 1989)

Sohaib Malkawi
"For the uncle, love was control. Respect was obedience. For Prakash, love was letting go. Independence, self-reliance: I learned the litany by heart. But I felt suspended between worlds."

"In Hasnapur, Dida told stories of Vishnu the Preserver containing our world inside his potbellied stomach. I sit, baffled, in the dark living room of our house in Baden, loaded rifle against my belly, cocooning a cosmos."

Five stars! W/o a flinch!

The Gods never lost their androgyny in the East, did they!?

I'm qu
Georgia
Jul 18, 2012 Georgia rated it it was ok
I was recommended this book following a lecture series on US-Indian literature, and unfortunately, it does not live up to its hype. A young Indian widow's quest to fulfill her late husband's will by traveling to America and visiting the college he attended would make an interesting starting point for a story about a woman's search for her identity in a foreign country, but sadly, this endeavour soon falls flat due to one-dimensional protagonists and plot "twists" in the style of an improbable Bo ...more
Andrew Kubasek
Jun 03, 2007 Andrew Kubasek rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed
In the name of honesty, I read this book for a class taught by the author. It was a great class, and she used the novel as a great example of things like how a writer thinks, approaching symbolism, and the writing and publishing process generally.

Still, this book, although unique, failed to really strike a chord with me. I felt no sympathy or disgust for any of the characters, even though I got the sense that I was supposed to feel SOMETHING. What this book did do well was intrigue me enough to
Emilie
Aug 02, 2012 Emilie added it
I have no idea what to think about this book. Did I like it? Hm... Did I dislike it... Hm... I kinda nothing it.

While reading this I kept wondering wether it would get a spot in my bookshelf or go to a second hand. The latter won. Because of the ending. What the heck was up with the ending? It destroyed the whole story that COULD have been something. Thanks to the ending I know for sure it was nothing.

Identity crisis and culture shock is a serious matter that affects a lot of people. Doesnt me
Johnny
Mar 23, 2011 Johnny rated it liked it
I first read this in graduate school with a professor who assigned the book and then once we finished reading it proceeded to totally deconstruct it. A post-colonial Indian himself, he took umbrage with the backward depiction of rural life in India. I was very impressionable and spent the next ten years thinking Mukherjee was a hack writer with simple minded constructions.

On a second read at a more mature age, I see now that there is much to like in this novel; the fragmented and nonlinear const
The Book Maven
May 15, 2007 The Book Maven rated it liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
What will you give to be an American? What will you give to experience the American dream, to grasp all the prosperity and security and happiness that so many Americans seem to have?

For Jyoti, a seventeen-year-old widow who lost her husband to the violence that plagues India, there's not a lot she won't do. Illegally immigrate? Sure, why not? Commit murder? Steal another woman's husband, and then leave him? There you go. As Jyoti gradually acclimates to the society and values of America, she lea
Donna
Jul 25, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
In a little more than 200 pages Jasmine, the narrator, tells her story. She went back and forth in time piecing it together. She was born in Hasnapur, India, 18 years after the Partition of India. She was the 5th daughter and 7th of 9 children. In 1947, due to the partition, her parents fled the city of Lahore where they lived a comfortable life and moved to Hasnapur where they now lived in poverty. For Jasmine there would be no money for a dowry. And “bad luck followed dowryless wives, rebellio ...more
Sharon Christy
Sep 13, 2014 Sharon Christy rated it it was ok
This book is about a child's immigration to India. For we see all through the novel that Jasmine, call her what you will, is only a child. And the name changes, people call my Christy, Chris, some even take pride in calling me by my imaginary full name, Christina while I am just Christy. That doesn't mean I have multiple personalities, it means people like to call you differently. And also in many places, I find Jyoti or Jasmine acting like a child. When Karin calls her a gold digger, she defian ...more
Anesa
Jan 19, 2014 Anesa rated it really liked it
I much enjoyed this engrossing tale, especially the voice of the heroine/narrator as she struggles through adversity and begins to discover her own power to make a better life for herself. Pages and paragraphs alternate between several settings: India, where Jasmine’s beloved husband is murdered by religious zealots; Florida, where she makes illegal entry to the United States and survives a dire assault by her human trafficker; New York, where she works as an au pair; and rural Iowa, where she b ...more
Mikanrulz
Jul 06, 2014 Mikanrulz rated it liked it
an interesting look into the forming of an identity. The main lead is an Indian woman who migrate to the US for a purpose, and through many hardships, she did arrive in the US soil - though this was only the beginning of her real journey.

The way the main lead literally created another name to represent another identity for each place she had dwelled in felt very real to me.

The only complain I have about this book is the inherent cinderella complex that is still quite apparent here, were every ma
Brandon
Feb 10, 2014 Brandon rated it did not like it
Second time reading this book. Both times it was assigned in a Lit course, and I can't figure out why it is receiving so much love from the academy. I find this book to be kind of entertaining, but it is a mess as well. It just goes off in so many directions and fails to really bring any of them home. I don't think this novel deserves to be taught and I wouldn't recommend it.
I am interested in reading some of the author's other works though as I think she can write some nice sentences, and has
Minoli
Mar 21, 2014 Minoli rated it really liked it
I like this book for its writing. The language is beautiful, and full of sarcastic poetry. When I read it first I gave it three stars. But then after studying the book today, I am compelled to increase it to a four star rating.

This book makes one question many things. Including if this is about Jyoti's journey from entrapment to liberation linear, or has it been in a circle, aided by men, never truly independent.
Jamie Nelson
Jul 30, 2008 Jamie Nelson rated it it was amazing
This book still fascinates me. It was integral to my undergrad senior thesis (over 10 years ago) - American Studies interdisciplinary look at immigration and the depiction of immigration and assimilation in fiction. I don't read it so much as a story, but how it turns immigration stereotypes upside down, and plays with names and geography for creating identity.
Marcy
Jan 03, 2009 Marcy rated it really liked it
Jasmine is one of the few women who wanted to entirely escape the traditional woman's role in Hasnapur, India after having married a young man of modern sensibility. Having been widowed at only 17, she tries to realize the dreams she and her husband had for each other in America. Her dreams were not easily attained as any new immigrant knows...
Gretchen
Aug 01, 2007 Gretchen rated it really liked it
According to the back of this book, this is a story about "becoming an American". I think that it is more about adapting the different parts of yourself to your situation and working through all those parts to find the person you want to be.
Andrew Reid
Aug 28, 2007 Andrew Reid rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: ummm
I couldn't relate to the story, style of writing, or plot. It was a disjointed narrative of one woman's search for identity while she attempts to become an American, not Indian American. That would be fine with me if the plot was half ways interesting.
Maria
May 29, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok
A story of immigration and emancipation that is worthwhile in itself, but the narrative suffers because the writing is uneven. There are two schocking scenes that are riveting page turners. Otherwise you might find yourself skimming.
Serahae
Nov 24, 2013 Serahae rated it really liked it
Read twice: first 2013, then again 2015
Nikhil
May 05, 2017 Nikhil rated it liked it
Shelves: american, south-asian
3/5.

This novel doesn't really work. The main character experiences so much trauma over the course of her life, that the trauma is devalued in importance, and no specific incident can be treated with the seriousness it deserves. I understand that the novel is trying to depict Jasmine in different contexts, in each of which she experiences violence and which she interprets as being multiple selves (perhaps due to this trauma). Unfortunately, the transitions between contexts are difficult to believ
Jennelle Zarn
Jan 13, 2017 Jennelle Zarn rated it liked it
I did love the author's style and, as a Midwesterner, I appreciated the accuracy of the setting. However, the main character was just... unlikable. The ending really put the nail in the coffin for me. (I really did yell "You BITCH!" at Jasmine/Jane.)
Kaion
Jan 19, 2014 Kaion rated it liked it
Jasmine (1989) is the third book of Bharati Mukherjee's that I've picked up, and I've definitely gained the sense that Mukherjee would really be a cool professor to have. Her writing tends to have a quality of being more successful as Professor Mukherjee's lectures on identity and global modernity than well-constructed narratives.

As a novel following the journey of Jyoti/Jasmine/Jane, who goes from Indian country girl/beloved wife to illegal immigrant/Upper West Side nanny to Midwest trophy wi
Michelle Boyer
I was assigned this book for a Ph.D. level course on Travel Narratives taught at the University of Arizona. I was quite excited for this book, as it is praised as being one of the "best" novels about immigration to have come from an Indian author. In academia, there is a lot of talk about how wonderful and life-changing this book is. But after reading it, twice, I have to say: Kind of average.

The story is about a young woman named Jyoti. Jyoti grows up in India and is eventually married, and li
Paula
May 26, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a novel that I had placed in my discard pile, but retrieved to re-read after a friend told me she had really liked it. Almost all the way through I was happy to be reading this book again & thinking that I would keep it after all. Acutely post-colonial (as we called such novels 15 years ago) in its point of view, it seems very up to date in its insider understanding of the often bizarrely complex interior and exterior lives of many immigrants, particularly illegal ones from poor coun ...more
Bill
May 17, 2007 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Bharati Mukherjee's 1988 short story "Jasmine" is a gem. It tells the story of Indian woman from Trinidad who enters the U.S. illegally and ends up working in the household of a liberal academic family in Ann Arbor. Mukherjee employs a light touch in her portrayal of the differences between the savvy Jasmine and her well-intentioned but naive employers. The story steers clear of sentimentality while still making you acutely aware of the precariousness of an illegal immigrant's life and the yawni ...more
Dusty
Aug 15, 2008 Dusty rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Jasmine is another book I bought (and didn't use) for a college class. I carried it around with me for half a decade and decided, finally, as I was restocking my bookshelves after my latest move, that time had come to either read it or dump it. I'm glad I didn't decide to toss it into the wastebasket.

Book is about a small-town Punjabi woman named Jyoti, widowed before her eighteenth birthday, who is faced with a conundrum: Wives in her community do not survive their husbands. They die first, or
Hope
Mar 09, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it
“We murder who we were so we can rebirth ourselves in the image of our dreams.” (29)

This is, for me, the most powerful sentence in Bharati Mukherjee’s Jasmine. In this one sentence it summarises the story of the novel by embodying the nature of transcontinental lives and living.

The main protagonist in Mukherjee’s novel has a name for every person she has ever been: she is the village girl Jyoti; Jasmine to her first husband; Jane; Jase; Jazz; Kali; Widow; Wife; and Day Mommy. These names repres
Amy
Jan 04, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
HAd it not been for the Stanford Book Salon, I probably would not have picked this book up to read, despite my interest in Indian culture. Until the reading list came out, it had flown completely under my reading radar. The group was asked to keep in mind the question, "To what extent is Jasmine, or anyone for that matter, in control of his/her destiny?" while reading the book. Having been involved in one too many destiny versus free will discussions in my lifetime, I conveniently let that slip ...more
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: india
This novel was not what I expected. When I first picked it up I had thought it would be about a woman's life in India. And to an extent it was, however, it took a twist and brought the woman to America.

The main character is a woman named Jasmine. Throughout the story she goes by several other names including Jane, Jyoti, and Jase. Each name she has seems to bring its own life with it and she has several different periods of time in her life.

She starts out as a young girl in India where she marri
Don J.
Aug 31, 2011 Don J. rated it really liked it
"Jasmine" is a powerful tale about an Indian woman widowed at seventeen, who sets off for America in search on a new life. Make no mistake about it, this is a fantastic heroes journey --few times have I ever rooted so hard for a protagonist and cheered as the heroine overcomes struggle after struggle. This is a tough book to review as I don't want to give anything away, but trust me on this: it is worth your time.

What I find so endearing about this book, and Jasmine herself is her never lie down
Annette
Nov 04, 2008 Annette rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who likes to read journey books
Recommended to Annette by: school
I thought that this book was okay. I think I did get something out of it. I did learn that life is not easy at all. In the book, Jasmine went through a lot of journeys. And throughout these journeys, there were a lot of obstacles.
It was a hard for life for Jasmine ever since her husband was killed in India. After his death, she illegally went to America and was raped. She later was saved by an American lady from Florida. There she helped her get to her destination which was Flushing, New York.
500 Great Books B...: Jasmine - Bharati Mukherjee 3 20 Feb 12, 2015 11:37AM
  • Blu's Hanging
  • Monkey Bridge
  • The Floating World
  • A Deconstructed Heart
  • No-No Boy (Classics of Asian American Literature)
  • Bengali Harlem and the Lost Histories of South Asian America
  • The Blue Bedspread
  • The Night Counter
  • The Rug Merchant
  • Haunting Bombay
  • Native Speaker
  • First Darling of the Morning: Selected Memories of an Indian Childhood
  • The Interpreter
Bharati Mukherjee was an Indian-born award winning American writer who explored the internal culture clashes of her immigrant characters in the award-winning collection The Middleman and Other Stories and in novels like Jasmine and Desirable Daughters.

Ms. Mukherjee, a native of Calcutta, attended schools in England, Switzerland and India, earned advanced degrees in creative writing in the United S
More about Bharati Mukherjee...

“The world is divided between those who stay and those who leave.” 5 likes