Start by marking “The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  867 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Best Little From-Scratch Bakery in Texas

The pastry case in Rebecca Rather's bakery in Fredericksburg is packed with ultra-buttery scones, luscious cakes, cookies the size of saucers, brownies as big as bricks, and fruit pies that look as though they came straight out of Grandma's oven. Since the day Rebecca and her Rather Sweet Bakery and Café came to town, life in thi
Published October 1st 2004 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Pastry Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pastry Queen

Kathy
What a yummy book I got for Christmas! This book makes you want to make delicious fattening experiences for your mouth! The pictures look yummy (less fat, more fiber if you eat the picture!). Thanks, Rebecca! I still like eating at your place and letting you do the work and I can enjoy the yummies.
AV8R
Native Texan Rebecca Rather decided to move her Austin bakery to the delightful Hill Country town of Fredericksburg, and local legend Rather Sweet was born. A self-taught pastry chef, Rebecca baked her way through childhood and adolescence, decided that she had to find a "real" (non-food) job after college, eventually went into the catering business (where she burned out two Thermador ovens in her home kitchen), was an executive pastry chef for Tony Vallone in Houston, and found her greatest hap ...more
Donna
Wow, if there is a 12 step program for butter Rebecca Rather & I need to sign up. This book is packed w/ some butter lovin' recipes. Clearly, they need to made as occasional treats & not staples...mmm, so tempting!

There were a couple of recipes, especially the cookies, I thought I could use for bake sales/fund raisers but in retrospect decided against it. The ingredients list was too pricey. Yes, any recipe can be adapted but why would you get this book only to turn around & modify i
Riona
The Southern Comfort Apple Pie recipe alone is worth the price of this book. The apples are first cooked in a creamy SoCo and cinnamon spiked caramel sauce before being piled in the crust, and then the whole thing is covered with pecan-studded streusel topping. It far surpasses any other apple pie I've ever made or tasted. The Texas Pecan Pie Bars were also really excellent.

Unfortunately, I've had issues with a couple of the other recipes I've tried. I actually found the Bacon & Cheddar Scon
Karen
Loved Rebecca Rather's cookbook. ...she has beautiful pictures of her food and the quaint town of Fredericksburg, Texas. If you love desserts check out this cookbook. The Texas Big Hairs Lemon-Lime Meringue Tarts are to die for.
Jane
Mar 07, 2008 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with tastebuds
Recommended to Jane by: my sister
I think I used to try to eat healthily; that was before I discovered this cookbook. Now it just seems like a waste when I could be making bacon-cheddar scones -- mmmmm, scones.
The Texas Big-Hairs and cakes are good show-off recipes when you're cooking for someone else, and scones and beer bread are delissssssshhhus self-indulgence.
The writing is exactly what it should be - clear and concise, and doesn't get in the way of the recipes.
I've never been to the Rather Sweet Bakery, but believe me -
Shelah
In a word, yum. When we went to the Hill Country a couple of weeks ago, we drove more than 100 miles out of our way to eat at Rebecca Rather's bakery, Rather Sweet in Fredericksburg. It was well worth the trip, and the calories, and I've spent the last few days devouring her book, making lists of recipes I need to try. Next week I'm ditching cub scouts to go to a dessert class she's teaching at Central Market, and we're actually making those luscious lemon beauties on the cover of the cookbook. ...more
Michelle
We have visited this bakery- and as bakery afficionados, I can honestly say it's one of the best we've ever over-indulged at. The cookbook is great too- lots of great recipes- and the photographs and layout are fantastic.
Wendy
Made Cafe Chocolate Cherry Cookies for a party at work using dried rainier cherries I brought back from Seattle. They were pretty tasty if I do say so myself! There are a few more recipes I'd like to try.
Toni
A nice book for baking inspiration, and beautifully presented, however,my biggest disappointment is the lack of photographs of the recipes. I like to see what a finished "product" should look like.
Vmichelle Skinner
This is my go-to when I'm making luscious desserts for special occasions. Everyone thinks I'm a fabulous cook - but it's really this cookbook. The non-sweets included here are great too!
Jennie
Since this is a Texan cookbook, everything is big and fun. Love the Texas Big-Hair Lemon Lime Tarts - the meringue on those babies really does look like some Texan hairstyles.
Krista
Yummm! So many good things that I'd like to make! This will probably go on my "to buy" list.
Beka
Lots of yummy looking recipes. Now I want to go to Fredericksburg and visit her bakery.
sandy
i have a signed copy :)
Libby Cruse
Libby Cruse marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
leornis barnesjr
leornis barnesjr marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Mary Kelly
Mary Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
maniya Hunter
maniya Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Baking
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
The Pastry Queen Christmas: Big-Hearted Holiday Entertaining, Texas Style Pastry Queen Parties: Entertaining Friends and Family, Texas Style Pastry Queen Parties: Entertaining Friends and Family, Texas Style