Start by marking “Unknown Armies” as Want to Read:
Unknown Armies

Unknown Armies

What will you risk to change the world?

The acclaimed RPG of modern occult intrigue returns in a stunning new hardcover edition. Completely reorganized, largely rewritten, and jam-packed with new art, the second edition of Unknown Armies isn't just better. It kicks metaphysical ass!

We've remixed the book based on the level of campaign you want to play: Street, Global, or

Hardcover, Second Edition, 336 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Atlas Games,US (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Unknown Armies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unknown Armies

Mar 28, 2008 Jack rated it really liked it
I actually read the 1st Edition, authored mainly by John Tynes, but I'm too lazy to put it into the system.

So, the designers who came up with _Mage: The Ascension_ should probably have hung their heads in shame if they ever read this book. It's the only good modern magic system I've ever encountered, in that it ascribes psychologically realistic motivations and consequences into learning and using magic. Just as a piece of writing, this book is gritty, weird, and freakishly imaginative.

Jason Pitre
Jan 30, 2008 Jason Pitre rated it really liked it
This is an excellent RPG, with a simple system and versatile setting. The character creation can take almost no time at all with a good ability to customize your character. The learning curve is gentle and the process of learning is great fun.

The two most impressive portions of the book are the section on "killing other characters" and the sanity system. It is true to life, explaining that any balanced individual would be better off running away, giving in, calling the cops or generally doing an
Marcus Morrisey
Jan 16, 2015 Marcus Morrisey rated it really liked it
A very interesting read. The prose style is generally excellent. It is both irreverent and perceptive, although repetitive at times. I rarely find the obligatory interspersed pieces of fiction to be worthwhile reading in game books but I made a point of reading each one here. The vision of the Occult Underground is a fascinating one. The system is complex enough to be useful and robust but simple enough not to take over the story.
Alexis Hall
Brought to you by Reading Project 2015.

Again, this is H's, so I leave the commentary to him:

"Classic modern occult for the late 90s/early 2000s. The same hidden magic world schtick as about 40% of 1990s RPGs only significantly more, balls-the-wall insane."
Jun 13, 2012 Latro rated it it was amazing
My favorite RPG book of all time. It is simply the best written rulebook ever (and the rest of the line is top notch too), I love the system, I love the setting, and I love the authors style in portraying all of it.

UA is a game of "urban fantasy/terror" where magic is real, yes, and things move in the background of our normal world. Aha, you say, another one. Not, not really. This is a game where the biggest magical battles of the world are fought by bums, addicts, and total freaks, because bein
Jan 20, 2015 Kalin rated it really liked it
I'd never thought I'd rate so high a 1) horror; 2) RPG manual--as a piece of literature. However, Unknown Armies has impressed (and surprised) me in both departments.

In terms of themes, this must be the first role-playing world, where fighting or trying to kill someone is the most desperate, dangerous or plain stupid course of action you can take. Tellingly, the "Combat" section of the rules starts with "Six Ways to Stop a Fight." I'm hooked already there. (I'm tired, sick and--whaddya know--ske
Jayme Allen
Aug 30, 2014 Jayme Allen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Unknown Armies is an RPG set in a world like ours, but which has an “occult underground,” the weirdness of which was inspired by the novels of Tim Powers, David Lynch films, and Shea and Wilson’s Illuminatus! trilogy. The setting is entirely humanistic, with every “magickal” presence being human, formerly human, or a product of humans. It’s also very post-modern: the power of belief and perception overrules that of any objective reality. As one of the taglines of the game states, “You Did It.” A ...more
Fernando Barrocal
It's an RPG System book, but its concepts, theology and reality world are part of a dark universe that can provide a lot of imaginative stories. I wonder if have been or will be romances on this universe. Looks like Stephen King twisting a John Lennon's fiction.
Μιτς Γιωτίξ
Sep 05, 2015 Μιτς Γιωτίξ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rpg
A mgnificent game, easily my favorite one. I wonder if splatbooks are easy to find...
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Jacob marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Joesasaurus marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Mighty rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Rocha marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Ramón Nogueras Pérez marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Erik Indigo
Erik Indigo rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2016
Haggai rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Benjamin Uke
Benjamin Uke rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Mathieu marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Bob Hanks
Bob Hanks marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Samuel Taylor
Samuel Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Chris Nichols
Chris Nichols marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Jaan  Sõmermaa
Jaan Sõmermaa rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Eric Crabtree
Eric Crabtree rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Gavin Patterson
Gavin Patterson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
G rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Shannon Lewis
Shannon Lewis rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
  • Spirit of the Century
  • Trail of Cthulhu (Trail of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Dogs in the Vineyard
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Microscope
  • Fiasco
  • Wraith: The Oblivion
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • Exalted
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Werewolf: The Forsaken (nWOD)
  • Mouse Guard: Roleplaying Game
  • Changeling: The Lost
  • Eclipse Phase: The Roleplaying Game of Transhuman Conspiracy and Horror
  • Exalted
  • Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game
  • Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: A Grim World of Perilous Adventure
  • Vampire: The Requiem (nWOD)
Greg Stolze (born 1970) is an American novelist and writer, whose work has mainly focused on properties derived from role-playing games.

Stolze has contributed to numerous role-playing game books for White Wolf Game Studio and Atlas Games, including Demon: the Fallen. Some of Stolze's recent work has been self-published using the "ransom method", whereby the game is only released when enough potent
More about Greg Stolze...