Start by marking “Sharmila's Book” as Want to Read:
Sharmila's Book

Sharmila's Book

3.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Born and raised in Chicago's Indian community, Sharmila Sen is a thirty-something artist, American in every respect but nonetheless longing for a deeper connection to her Indian heritage. Unlucky in love, Sharmila finally consents to follow the traditional path of arranged marriage and her mother soon finds Raj Khosla -- a handsome and successful New Delhi businessman -- f ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Plume (first published April 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sharmila's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharmila's Book

The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyA Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaShantaram by Gregory David RobertsSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
India
301st out of 460 books — 599 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksBook of a Thousand Days by Shannon HaleThe Jungle Book by Rudyard KiplingThe Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke
Books With 'Book' In The Title
319th out of 394 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Bunnychip9
Ugh. After reading Bharti Kirchner's illuminating book, Sharmila's Book, I was left with the strange sensation of having swallowed an insect that flapped its wings in my brain, rap rap rap, tap tap tap, and I was left screaming with a dire brain disorder. Ugh. Rare this year that I have come across as bad a book as Sharmila's Book.

I am not usually this scathing. I am a lazy writer myself, who understands the pain of writing - but after reading this book, I understood the pain of reading too. The
Leela
Jun 11, 2007 Leela rated it it was amazing
Sharmila is a character caught between her heritage and her life--one foot in India and one solidly in her Chicago career. Fed up to the proverbial "here" with the American dating game, she surrenders the question of marriage to tradition and asks her parents to find her a suitable match.

I almost didn't care what the plot was--Kirchner has done a stunning job of portraying the balancing act that is a multicultural identity. The tension between family expectations and American independence, betwe
Kavita Ramesh
Aug 20, 2015 Kavita Ramesh rated it liked it
The plot was not bad (though the conclusion could have been better--take up with the chauffeur? Really? Very clichéd), but the writing style was clunky.
Anne
Lisa Rogers
Nov 14, 2011 Lisa Rogers rated it did not like it
A friend of mine from India lent me this book. I was fully expecting it to be as maturely written as one by Monica Ali or Jhumpa Lahiri but I was terribly letdown. The book is predictable, the characters unbelievable. The writer spends a great deal of our time educating us about Indian culture, the scenery of New Delhi, so that we feel we move from fiction to nonfiction. The book is almost childish.
Annie
Jun 21, 2007 Annie rated it really liked it
Most of the Indian books I've read are written from a teenager's perspective, so this book was a pleasant shift for me. Kirchner turns phrases beautifully and brings out aspects of her characters that you wouldn't expect. There was much tension in the book around decision making, from arranged marriage to deciding what you're willing to compromise in your life.
Diane
Aug 22, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
I could sometimes hear the plot machinery creaking, but mostly enjoyed this book - following Sharmila from Chicago to Delhi in pursuit of happiness through an arranged marriage. Lots of FOOD in this book, which I appreciated, as well as a mild murder mystery along with the love story. Really good August book.
Kim
Jan 05, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
I loved the vivid descriptions of Indian life and customs but found several aspects of the plot to be rather far-fetched. Of the many books I've read about Indian women and family life, this is a rarity in that it's about a current generation rather than a couple of generations ago, which I found refreshing.
Michelle Cristiani
Oct 28, 2009 Michelle Cristiani rated it really liked it
Great character development, great unfolding plot. I learned more about India through the story, and it made me want to learn more about a culture I never thought much about before. My favorites are books that educate while the plot thickens.
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok
The descriptions of India are intense; the author writes poetically about the sights, smells and sounds of Delhi. The story is less interesting; the foreshadowing is as subtle as a 2x4 across the head.
Jules
Dec 26, 2014 Jules rated it really liked it
This book takes place in India which is a big part of its charm. I sometimes found the main character to be a bit unrealistic in her expectations. However, the story definitely kept my interest.
suzy
Sep 04, 2007 suzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: desis, NRIs and those who love indianchicklit
I really enjoyed reading this book. It took so many exciting twists and turns.
Valerie
Mar 19, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
another great Indian subcontinent novel!
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Phyllis Shepherd
Phyllis Shepherd rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Danica
Danica added it
Jan 23, 2016
Kristen Ravi
Kristen Ravi rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Susan added it
Jan 16, 2016
Amanda Aksel
Amanda Aksel marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Hiral Jani
Hiral Jani marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Susan rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Arpita Kayal
Arpita Kayal marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Sabina Khan
Sabina Khan rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Jan
Jan added it
Feb 28, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Unnati
Unnati rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Wenwe
Wenwe rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bharti Kirchner is the author of nine books—five critically acclaimed novels and four cookbooks and hundreds of short pieces for magazines and newspapers. Her fifth novel (a mystery this time), Tulip Season: A Mitra Basu Mystery is due out in 2012.

Her earlier novels include Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries, Darjeeling, Sharmila’s Book, and Shiva Dancing.

Bharti has written for Food &a
More about Bharti Kirchner...