Start by marking “Sharmila's Book” as Want to Read:
Sharmila's Book

Sharmila's Book

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Born and raised in Chicago's Indian community, Sharmila Sen is a thirty-something artist, American in every respect but nonetheless longing for a deeper connection to her Indian heritage. Unlucky in love, Sharmila finally consents to follow the traditional path of arranged marriage and her mother soon finds Raj Khosla -- a handsome and successful New Delhi businessman -- f ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Plume (first published April 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sharmila's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharmila's Book

The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaA Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryShantaram by Gregory David RobertsMidnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
India
282nd out of 426 books — 547 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Jungle Book by Rudyard KiplingOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotBook of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
Books With 'Book' In The Title
297th out of 374 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Bunnychip9
Jun 13, 2014 Bunnychip9 added it
Shelves: india, women
Ugh. After reading Bharti Kirchner's illuminating book, Sharmila's Book, I was left with the strange sensation of having swallowed an insect that flapped its wings in my brain, rap rap rap, tap tap tap, and I was left screaming with a dire brain disorder. Ugh. Rare this year that I have come across as bad a book as Sharmila's Book.

I am not usually this scathing. I am a lazy writer myself, who understands the pain of writing - but after reading this book, I understood the pain of reading too. The
Leela
Sharmila is a character caught between her heritage and her life--one foot in India and one solidly in her Chicago career. Fed up to the proverbial "here" with the American dating game, she surrenders the question of marriage to tradition and asks her parents to find her a suitable match.

I almost didn't care what the plot was--Kirchner has done a stunning job of portraying the balancing act that is a multicultural identity. The tension between family expectations and American independence, betwe
Anne
Lisa Rogers
A friend of mine from India lent me this book. I was fully expecting it to be as maturely written as one by Monica Ali or Jhumpa Lahiri but I was terribly letdown. The book is predictable, the characters unbelievable. The writer spends a great deal of our time educating us about Indian culture, the scenery of New Delhi, so that we feel we move from fiction to nonfiction. The book is almost childish.
Annie
Most of the Indian books I've read are written from a teenager's perspective, so this book was a pleasant shift for me. Kirchner turns phrases beautifully and brings out aspects of her characters that you wouldn't expect. There was much tension in the book around decision making, from arranged marriage to deciding what you're willing to compromise in your life.
Diane
I could sometimes hear the plot machinery creaking, but mostly enjoyed this book - following Sharmila from Chicago to Delhi in pursuit of happiness through an arranged marriage. Lots of FOOD in this book, which I appreciated, as well as a mild murder mystery along with the love story. Really good August book.
Kim
I loved the vivid descriptions of Indian life and customs but found several aspects of the plot to be rather far-fetched. Of the many books I've read about Indian women and family life, this is a rarity in that it's about a current generation rather than a couple of generations ago, which I found refreshing.
Michelle Cristiani
Great character development, great unfolding plot. I learned more about India through the story, and it made me want to learn more about a culture I never thought much about before. My favorites are books that educate while the plot thickens.
Rebecca
The descriptions of India are intense; the author writes poetically about the sights, smells and sounds of Delhi. The story is less interesting; the foreshadowing is as subtle as a 2x4 across the head.
Jules
This book takes place in India which is a big part of its charm. I sometimes found the main character to be a bit unrealistic in her expectations. However, the story definitely kept my interest.
suzy
Sep 04, 2007 suzy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: desis, NRIs and those who love indianchicklit
I really enjoyed reading this book. It took so many exciting twists and turns.
Valerie
another great Indian subcontinent novel!
Jan
Jan added it
Feb 28, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
tasi
tasi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Kathleen Rochester
Kathleen Rochester marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Rakhahari Saha
Rakhahari Saha marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tischelle
Tischelle marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Chelsi
Chelsi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bharti Kirchner is the author of nine books—five critically acclaimed novels and four cookbooks and hundreds of short pieces for magazines and newspapers. Her fifth novel (a mystery this time), Tulip Season: A Mitra Basu Mystery is due out in 2012.

Her earlier novels include Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries, Darjeeling, Sharmila’s Book, and Shiva Dancing.

Bharti has written for Food &a
More about Bharti Kirchner...
Darjeeling: A Novel Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries Shiva Dancing The Bold Vegetarian: 150 Inspired International Recipes Tulip Season:  A Mitra Basu Mystery