Start by marking “Confessions of a Falling Woman” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Falling Woman

Confessions of a Falling Woman

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A surprised Southern matriarch is confronted by her family at an intervention. . . . A life-altering break-in triggers insomniac introspection in a desperate actor. . . . Streetwise New York City neighbors let down their guard for a naïve puppeteer and must suffer the consequences. . . .

In this stunning collection of short stories—five of which are being published for the
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Falling Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Falling Woman

Rachel
A new book of short stories that I chose solely based on the title, which sounded interesting. There were two stories in particular that really stood out for me, the one about the puppeteer and the one about the actor auditioning for a commercial in which he needs to wear a rat costume. I liked the quirkiness in many of the stories, and found all the stories easily readable. (I think my lower rating of this book is due only to my low enthusiasm for short stories right now.) I liked her writing q ...more
Cristina
I was very surprised the the author was married - though I am still guessing that she has been hurt/abandoned earlier in life, or possibly witnessed her parents' marriage fail. I am not at all surprised that she was an actor (specifically, a "failed" actor).
Linda Lipko
If you've read The Madonna's of Leningrad, then you are aware that Dean is a masterful writer. Her images carry a soft a ha and a tug at the heart that leaves you knowing that you can relate to her characters.

This is a series of short stories, each one independent of one another, yet connected by the thread of likeable, sometimes foolish folks simply trying to get by the best they can.

I know I'm reading a good book when I stop to think of similar situations/circumstances I've experienced and my
Nesa Sivagnanam
In "The Afterlife of Lyle Stone", a terrifying nightmare precipitates a crisis in the ordered existence of a high-flying Seattle lawyer. It is only as he breaks down that he becomes interesting; when the brainstorm is reversed, he reverts to being another faceless cog in the corporate machine.

In "Another Little Piece", a divorcée reacts like a sullen teenager, and then with appreciative wonderment, to the changes their separation has wrought in her former husband. The unfolding is liberating to
Emilie
Best line:
That's the wonderful thing about writing, I suppose. There's no one there to talk back to you.

I don't believe in luck; I believe that people get what they deserve.

You must be wondering why I am trying to contact you now, after all this time. Perhaps it will strike you as a thoughtless invasion of your privacy, or worse, a deliberate unkindness, an attempt to open up old wounds.

Here it is: I want you to hear me out. An apology is a limp thing, I know that, and its late by about eleven
Jyoti
I quite liked the writer's attention to her characters. Each story connected me with its characters much like Jhumpa Lahiri's stories have done in the past. Some stories ended abruptly but while the read was on, they were all involving. Some stories were about actors and their lives, going over their insecurities, poor income, ill treatment by selectors, their odd roles and yet they read so real that I didn't feel a disconnect. Dean herself was an actor so understandably knew her characters' fea ...more
Jamie
In this collection of short stories, Dean tells the unremarkable stories of completely unremarkable people, but in a way that totally draws you into their stories. Somehow, in the span of about 10 pages, you completely know these characters, understand their struggles (or lack of), and still feel their stories are complete in the end. I really enjoyed this book, and can't wait for Dean's new novel to be available. She is definitely one of my favorite authors now!
Roberta
Nothing particularly special here, but definitely a quick, enjoyable read. Maybe meant more for the middle aged set potentially dealing with failure or sense of failure and depression (but definitely not at all upsetting eventhough it deals with those topics -- I guess it's a little pedestrian in the way it looks at them). Overall fun.
Martha
This is a relaxing read. I enjoy short stories--I can cram in a few minutes of reading here and there and actually feel like I accomplished something. I particularly enjoyed the depth of the characters and the emotion the writer conveys. The final story is a little slow, but the others are really quite good.
Rhonda
A friend is reading another book by this author "The Madonnas of Leningrad" and I was going to get it but it was not in at the library. So I got this other book by her instead. It is a collection of 10 short stories, a couple were ok, but the rest.......well, not very interesting.
Sandee
As with most short story collections, some good, some so-so. A good dramatic mix of subject matter: a daughter's view of her mom's intervention, a lawyer questioning his reality.
Barbara
excellent all 10 stories are well done
Katherine Leblanc
This collection of short stories was easy reading. Not a cant put down until I am done book but good for when you only have a few minutes to read.
Becky Cole
This is not as amazing as her other book, The Madonnas of Leningrad, but it was still worth reading. Poignant, character-driven stories.
Joy
Small book of short stories - good, quick read. Style like I could have written them, however. Not a finely honed craft yet.
Diane
I enjoy short stories. Some of these are good. "Dan in the grey flannel rat suit" was better than the title story.
Dgoll
Short stories are not something I read often, so I must say that I was surprised by how much I enjoyed these.
Stephanie
i wished some of these stories were longer or entire novels. some were way to short. very enjoyable
Lynn
A really good book! I will read it again and again!
TJ
Interesting short stories. Not great though
Sh
Sh marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Lara Maynard
Lara Maynard marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Adele Grace
Adele Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
  • Leaping: Revelations & Epiphanies
  • A Winter Book
  • Sojourner Truth's Step-Stomp Stride
  • Sunstroke and Other Stories
  • The Poetry and Short Stories of Dorothy Parker (Modern Library)
Debra Dean’s bestselling novel THE MADONNAS OF LENINGRAD was a New York Times Editors’ Choice, a #1 Booksense Pick, a Booklist Top Ten Novel, and an American Library Association Notable Book of the Year. It has been published in twenty languages. Her collection of short stories, CONFESSIONS OF A FALLING WOMAN, won the Paterson Fiction Prize and a Florida Book Award.

Her new novel, THE MIRRORED WORL