Start by marking “To Live & Die In Dixie” as Want to Read:
To Live & Die In Dixie

To Live & Die In Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery #2)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  2,005 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
From her time on the Atlanta police force, Callahan Garrity, house cleaner and private investigator extraordinaire, has excelled at mopping up messes -- of all kinds. But she has no idea what she's getting into when she agrees to work for infamous antiques dealer Elliot Littlefield.

The first day on the job she and her crew discover the bloodied body of a young woman in a b
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about To Live & Die In Dixie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Live & Die In Dixie

Kathy
Jan 04, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Decided to read the Callahan Garrity series written by Kathy Hogan Trocheck who now writes under the name Mary Kay Andrews. Love all the Andrews books and loved this Trocheck one. Just ordered two more from amazon
Callahan Garrity quits her job as a policeman and opens a cleaning business in Atlanta called House Mouse. The women who work for her are worth the read all by them selves. Callahan aso gets a private detective's license and mixes detecting with cleaning. the plot of this one is very co
Angie
3.5 stars...

Fun, southern, cozy mystery with a colorful cast of characters.

This audiobook was my companion during the stocking of a new bookshelf. It was an entertaining and light-hearted murder mystery full of southernisms and charm.

Mary Kay Andrews was recommended by a co-worker who shares my love of books and reading, and I'm thrilled to have a new cozy author with lots of books under her belt.

Although it's part of a series, I had no trouble jumping in at book 2.
Book Concierge
Former Atlanta police officer Callaghan Garrity runs The House Mouse, a professional maid service, and also dabbles in private investigation. A new client has an emergency need for a thorough cleaning; Elliot Littlefield owns Eagle’s Keep, one of Atlanta’s most elegant old mansions and his housekeeper has quit the day before a major party. The team arrives to complete disarray, and discovers a body in an upstairs bedroom. But this isn’t the first time a young woman has met her death at Eagle’s K ...more
Renee
Feb 16, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing
I suppose we all get what we deserve eventually.

This is a solid series so far. Especially if you like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone, Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone, or Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott and Sigrid Harald.
Barbara Rogers
Nov 03, 2016 Barbara Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrator has a rich, smokey voice that adds a lot to the story. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her.

Callahan Garrity (isn't that name a mouth full!) was on the police force for ten years. She left to start her own business. House Mouse is a cleaning service that employs several unconventional ladies. Callahan also got her license to be a private investigator -- and, of course the ladies from House Mouse want to help her investigate whatever case she is working.

In this case, a really nasty,
Ada Iaboni
For some reason, I was not thrilled with this novel.
I still like the characters, but the story-line was not too interesting to me. I liked it okay.
I'll check out some other ones and see if it's just one kind of okay or a trend.
Kate Copeseeley
Nov 01, 2016 Kate Copeseeley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just pure delightful fun. I got this on audiobook and I love this narrator and this book was just so great to listen to. I was sick all weekend and I just laid in bed and let her words wash right over me. :) So great.
Amanda
Nov 12, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ehh.....unpredictable, but not totally captivating. At times the author seems to drift off from her storyline, and become a bit wordy, but she does get the story to a satisfying conclusion.
Amy
Dec 29, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun audio. The main character is like a Southern Kinsey Milhone.
Lori
Oct 09, 2016 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
This should be a 1 star review, but I reserve that for books I truly hate. BUT... I hope & pray I remember this review when I feel like reading another book in this series. The main characters are SO UNLIKEABLE! Please, future self, don't get bored & pick up another one!!
Sandra
Apr 20, 2013 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm half way done and I have mixed feelings for this one. It's got murder, mayhem, lots of action. But there's a lot of hard issues in this book. Racism, and dealing with hard subjects like sickness. Callahan and her Mother live together, so they get on each others nerves constantly. It seems like everyone is on edge all the time, or just always in a bad mood. Not just Callahan and her Mother. All of the characters. It really puts a damper on the excitement of solving the case. I would like to r ...more
Susan Ferguson
On the whole, I think I liked this book. Callahan Garrity is an ex-policewoman who now owns and runs a cleaning service. She also does a little detecting on the side. The book is set in Atlanta, Georgia, and there are some chiches of the south that I'm not really sure about. Some are irritating and others I'm not sure still exist. Being raised in the south myself (altho only in Arkansas -but my dad is from Alabama), I have not run into some of these cliches. But, that's only a minor detail I gue ...more
Former Atlanta cop and current owner of a cleaning service and part-time private investigator, Callahan Garrity expects to make a nice chunk of money from their newest client, Elliot Littlefield, an antiques dealer with a shady past. What Callahan didn't expect to find at Elliot's mansion is the dead body of a young woman, who was obviously murdered. Elliot immediately proclaims his innocence, of course, and hires Callahan to find a now missing Civil War diary, worth thousands of dollars.

I enjo
Nancy Madacsi
Jan 17, 2013 Nancy Madacsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother loved reading mystery books. I have piles and piles of her books that I have saved for my retirement reading. This was one of the first that I've read and I must say I quite enjoyed it. The book is one of the Callahan Garrity series. The author Kathy Hogan Trocheck, a former reporter for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, places her private investigator in Atlanta.

The main character is developed along the same lines as other women detectives, such as Kinsey Milhome or V I Warshaski but
Marleen
I totally dig Callahan Garrity, an ex-cop turned PI who also runs a house-cleaning service “The House Mouse”. This is my fourth book featuring Callahan, although this is the second in the series and it might be better to read them in order. So yes, I read these books for the characters and the atmosphere. Callahan is a type of person, type of woman I can totally relate to; she’s not willing to give up her life, her work, her sleuthing, her independence for a man, even if she truly loves him (in ...more
Charlyn
When the House Mouse crew is hired to clean Elliott Littlefield’s mansion in preparation for an event, they never finish the job. As soon as they discover the body of a young girl in a bedroom, everything comes to a halt. In addition to the murder, a number of Littlefield’s Civil War antiques are missing. Littlefield hires Callahan to find a priceless Civil War diary, but she becomes just as obsessed with finding the murderer. And topping her list is her employer, Littlefield, a repugnant charac ...more
Sue
Jul 07, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the library because it was the first fiction book in author alpha order that seemed light and interesting enough to get through quickly and give me some reading momentum. I picked well! I will now have to go back and read the first of the Callahan Garrity series, Every Crooked Nanny.

This is a quick, enjoyable read with likable characters. It is not the greatest "mystery". It is predictable and I figured out the killer about half way through, but the characters were enough to
Julie
Aug 19, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't stand women like her.

She spends one book avoiding/in denial of her health issues and then spends the next ripping into her mom for pushing her/giving her opinion based on her own experiences. Pick a side of the fence.

She has a great guy yet wants to "slap the face across the table from her" because he misread a situation SHE created. She constantly tells him she's too tired, too busy, can't handle conversations about them and their future. Grow up. Seriously. If a man had treated her li
Tammy
Jul 02, 2016 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly do NOT recommend the audio version of this story. Although the gal reading tries to sound southern. She clearly is NOT. I had to yell at her repeatedly while being forced to listen to her butcher "Kennesaw" (there is no "i" in it. .... Chamblee-Dunwoody..... (It's "sham" doesn't rhyme with "char"... And the one that really gave me eye twitches every time she said it, can't reach through the radio and throat punch her.... was "kudzu". It's not "koo".... It's CUD". Geez.... So, Atlanta na ...more
Karen
May 31, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Callahan is an ex-cop who runs a cleaning business with some private investigating on the side. When her crew finds the body of a dead girl in a house of murderer (who got off on a technicality), she can't help be drawn in. She is hired to find missing items that were stolen during the murder but ends up finding so much more. Everyone has something to hide and a reason to kill.

This is my book club selection for the month. It was a fun read and I liked Callahan. She is tough, no nonsense and give
Tiffany
Sep 10, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series of reprints of Mary Kay Andrews' Callahan Garrity mysteries from the '90s. If you are a fan of her work, you will appreciate this book despite the fact that there are some very outdated references in it. In this installment, we find cleaning service owner/private investigator Callahan investigating the whereabouts of Civil War artifacts that were stolen during what appeared to be a botched robbery turned murder in the home of an antiques dealer. Callahan's q ...more
Michelle Robinson
This is a good mystery, not far fetched, not silly.

This novel covers the racism that is prevalent in the South, in America, in an honest way. It shines an honest light in how people use euphemisms to excuse bigotry and hatred.

The heroine's relationship with her mother is fraught with tension and uncomfortable levels of animosity. Sometimes, it is hard to feel that they care for each other at all.

As I already stated, the mystery is well written and kept me wondering.

I would read another mystery,
L8blmr
Jul 27, 2014 L8blmr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, #2 in a series about a female former cop turned private investigator who owns a cleaning business on the side. In this offering, the leading lady plays a bigger role than in book #1, where readers had to be introduced to all the peripheral characters with their varied personalities and idiosyncrasies. Since I lived in Atlanta for a few years and traveled many if not all of the same roads that appeared in this story, it was a real treat for me to know exactly the areas ...more
Linda
Aug 13, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another funny novel about Callahan Garrity, owner of the House Mouse Cleaning Service and sometime private investigator.

At the home of her new client, a body is found in an upstairs bedroom. Callahan sets her mother and the rest of her cleaning crew to following up on leads and doing stakeouts. There are several suspects beginning with the new client in whose home the body was found. Callahan works with her former detective friend C. W. Hunsecker in solving the murder and the stolen Civil War a
Pr Latta
Second in the series, first that I'd "read." I didn't notice this was a Kathy Trocheck title/series and that it had a 1990's pub date so some details felt a bit dated. Fun cozy mystery -- I'll go back for the first to introduce the series but may pick up just the last, more current titles in the series. Pets: cat (red flag), not really a physical disability but breast cancer (here things felt dated but not enough focus to call this "medical"), debated adding police-procedural since Callahan is a ...more
Brenda
I listened to this book because I wanted to do some crafts and hear an entertaining story. In the past I have found this author delivers on the entertainment. Her writing is full of humor. I really enjoyed the characters in this story. The tone of the story was smooth so it flowed from one situation to another. I did not agree with all the cuss words in the story or the summary ending of the story.
Linda Smatzny
This is the second book in the Callahan Garrity Mystery series. This series is set in the Atlanta area and features Callahan Garrity, a former Atlanta cop now a PI and owner of a house cleaning service. The story concerns the murder of a girl and the theft of Civil War relics. The girl was found by Garrity while she was on a cleaning job. Garrity is hired to find the missing items and runs into trouble.
Alyssa
Feb 11, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are cute little mysteries and quick reads. They are doubly amusing because they were written in the 90's so it's land lines and pay phones. Also, a side story line is the main character dealing with breast cancer and she gets into a clinical trial for tamoxifen which is one of the big drugs now a days so working in cancer diagnostics I'm finding it fascinating that it is making it's appearance in a novel written in the 90s.
Judy Collins
Jul 11, 2013 Judy Collins rated it liked it
Entertaining and Southern as the Callahan mother-daughter team – returns full of mischief and humor as her cleaning crew (turned detective) is on the trail of a stolen Civil War diary. With collectors, radicals, teens, southern belles, shabby developers, and crimes to solve. Did not enjoy this one as much as the others in the series as a light mystery and listened to audio --Huber, the narrator is always good for a laugh.
Elizabeth
Didn't realize Mary Kay Andrews was a pen name and this is one of her earlier books. Also didn't realize that it's the second book in a series. Enjoyable because she always has interesting characters and loved that it takes place in the places I know around atlanta(except audible narrator doesn't get our local pronunciations of dekalb, chamblee, etc). I'm not anxious and feeling like a I have to finish the series.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 - To Live and Die in Dixie 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 09:48AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #47 - To Live and Die in Dixie 1 2 Aug 02, 2013 06:42AM
  • Blue Christmas (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #3)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters, #4)
  • Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2)
  • When Will the Dead Lady Sing? (Thoroughly Southern, #6)
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks, #10)
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
aka Mary Kay Andrews

Kathy Hogan Trocheck is the author of critically acclaimed mysteries, including the Callahan Garrity mystery series. A former reporter for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, she is also the author of Little Bitty Lies and the Edgar- and Macavity-nominated Savannah Blues, under the name Mary Kay Andrews.
More about Kathy Hogan Trocheck...

Callahan Garrity Mystery (8 books)
  • Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3)
  • Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)
  • Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)
  • Strange Brew (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #6)
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)