Overconnected: The Promise and Threat of the Internet

Overconnected: The Promise and Threat of the Internet

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In OVERCONNECTED, Bill Davidow explains how the almost miraculous success of the Internet in connecting the world through the Worldwide Web has also created a unique set of hazards, in effect overconnecting us, with the direst of consequences.
p
The benefits of our recently arrived-at state of connectivity have been myriad from the ease with which it has been possible to bu...more
Unknown Binding, 241 pages
Published January 4th 2011 by Delphinium Books (first published December 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Overconnected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overconnected

Evan
I have to admit, to a degree I was looking to read a book that trashed the internet, particularly one that offered critiques of the effects of socializing on it.

But this ain't that book.

However, what it is is actually not too bad, and it did satisfy the Luddite strain in me. It takes a macro/large event-scale approach rather than focusing on the personal-level consequences of what Davidow calls "overconnectivity," which in a nutshell is the author's contention that overly pervasive and complex s...more
Jane
Okay this is my favorite, thought provoking book of the year (and yes I know it is only January) but this one will rule the year. It has something for everyone. The historian, economist, entrepreneur, technician, psychologist, engineer, current events guru, and much more. It will make you thnk about what happen in recent events and why.
Katie Adee
In many ways, OVERconnected served as an eye-opener for me regarding the role technology and the internet plays in our lives. Davidow uses a somewhat narrative style through the first person to lay out the (much abbreviated!) history of the internet and make his case accessible to his readers. He also shares some personal experiences he's had and his small role in creating an overconnected world that help us connect to him and the book. Another way Davidow makes the book accessible to a wide aud...more
Andy Daykin
The author Davidow makes some good points about how the internet contributed to the global financial meltdown of 07/08, in particular with Iceland. He does a good job of building up his points with lots of data and intriguing anecdotes. However, this is also one of the negatives of the book. He doesn't attempt to explore the promise part of the internet as much as he could have and focuses mostly on the negatives without offering very clear solutions to the problems. The fact that he relies heav...more
Andrea
Jul 25, 2012 Andrea added it
I finished this book months ago and forgot to log back into Goodreads! A more scientific and factual friend suggested the science behind it was not accurate. I am not learned enough in the subject, but a lot of it made a great deal of sense to me. In my imagination, at least, the positive feedback concept is connected to the way some contemporary poetry and art have been boring to me, as if the creators are not separate enough from mass-produced thought (promulgated by the internet and social me...more
Jimmy Ranieri
Outstanding book of knowledge. I learned quite a bit about history, financial markets, semiconductors, and all sorts of random trivia and knowledge. I don't know how one man can know so much about so many things. I only gave this 3 stars however as the book was less about the internet than it was about interconnections and how the internet boosts interconnections. Still, it is a good read and you will know a lot more about the world when you finish.
Robin
It seemed like it had promise of an in depth study, but was more brushstrokes, touching on several topics superficially that have been covered in other venues.
Luis Capelo
The book focuses on the destructive aspects of an interconnected world. While those aspects do exist, the author does not comment on the other mechianisms resulting from this interconnection that allow our societies to thrive. Failure is highly potentialized by the internet in. the author point of view, failing to address its constructive side.
Aditya
Very interesting read... Davidow talks about how a state of overconnectivity can adversely affect booming economies and individuals alike, bringing detailed examples from all over the world, and ranging from the early nineteenth century to the present-day. He paints a very vivid picture in the examples mixed with superb insights.
Frank Gruver
I prefer fiction over non fiction , but I also like to read about technology so that’s how I read this book and found it to be an interesting read in that it talks about , for one, the mortgage crisis and how technology played a big part , the stock market, Iceland. Worth reading.
Melanie
I liked this mostly for the history provided on the various financial collapses and transportation / technological innovations, which were well written and fascinating. The theory is a nice one, but I felt the author really just stated the same thing again and again.
Mike Stolfi
Is social networking a potential siren song to the society we've built? In many ways yes, but is it too late to regulate the effects? Perhaps, now that the proverbial cat's out of the bag. Worth thinking about even though it may never reach a legislator.
Phil Simon
The premise is at first a bit tough to swallow: the a state of overconnectedness caused things like the recent financial debacle. Still, Davidow makes his points clearly. By virtue of technology, bad things get really bad really quickly.

Good book.
Ravi Jain
RESEARCH: 2/5
EASE OF UNDERSTANDING: 3/5
LANGUAGE: 3/5
ENTERTAINING: 2/5

A very novel concept but poorly written. Would surely be a bestseller if it was well written.
Thomas McGuire
Good theory backed up by clear, real-world examples. A warning as to the unforseen consequences of technological innovation.
Sva
Sva marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Miao Liu
Miao Liu marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jeff Montgomery
Jeff Montgomery marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Mark Meyers
Mark Meyers marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Joseph Pittera
Joseph Pittera marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jeff Locke
Jeff Locke marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Bill Davidow has been a high-technology industry executive and venture capital investor for more than thirty years, having worked at managerial positions at Intel Corp., Hewlett Packard, and General Electric. He is now an active advisor to Mohr Davidow Ventures, a venture capital firm. An electrical engineer by training, he has earned degrees at Dartmouth College, the California Institute of Techn...more
More about William H. Davidow...
Marketing High Technology The Virtual Corporation: Structuring and Revitalizing the Corporation for the 21st Century Total Customer Service: The Ultimate Weapon: A Six Point Plan for Giving Your Company the