Start by marking “A Girl Named Rose” as Want to Read:
A Girl Named Rose

A Girl Named Rose

Through pure chance, Rose met Sybren Werdmer ter Sane, one of the most eminent surgeons in Holland. Their accidental encounter led to a job for Rose, nursing Sybren's godson. She loved everything about her new lifeincluding Sybren! But surely such an important man wouldn't have time to take an interest in her. Yet what Rose didn't realize was that she had the gift of love,
Published June 7th 2011 by Harlequin (first published August 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Named Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Named Rose

Leona
Mar 29, 2015 Leona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ah..... hmmm.. I think I am definitely in the minority on this one, but I found the heroine just plain annoying. She had a chip on her shoulder larger than the state of Montana.

It started out strong, but went downhill fast.

- They hardly spent anytime together, and when they did the heroine was an absolute shrew. (Poor Sybren. For the life of me, I had a hard time figuring out what he found so endearing about her)

- She certainly wasn't pretty. We know that, because Betty told us 100 times that
Linda
Rose Comely was an outstanding nurse: reliable, hardworking and followed orders without making any waves. Up to this point, it described her life, too. With her sociable and fashion-minded friend and fellow nurse, Sadie, they were winding down their short vacation in Amsterdam (where else?!?) when a storm broke out. Rose knocked on the door of an unknown residence so they could get out of the rain. They were welcomed by (ta da!) Sybren Werdmer ter Sane, a surgeon.

In the span of a few moments Sad
Pamela Shropshire
Jan 31, 2015 Pamela Shropshire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
Reading with Cats
Not a good sign when a character describes the heroine as a tiresome child and I was nodding along with him and saying "And don't forget TSTL, Sybren." Also, what was with the random hospital bombing? I'll admit I was skimming by this time, but this plot point seemed to drop into the story completely out of nowhere. So to speak.

My favorite TSTL moment:
Sybren: "There's this really sketchy section of Amsterdam that you should avoid because hooligans hang out there and they'll surround you and taun
Lena Papanikolaou
Jul 22, 2016 Lena Papanikolaou rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ούτε ένα αστεράκι!!!Απορώ με τις 259 που το βαθμολόγησαν !!!Ευτυχως υπάρχουν και 3 που συμφωνούν μαζι μου γιατι θα αρχιζα να αναρωτιέμαι τι δεν πάει καλά μαζί μου.Κάποιοι κατεβαίνουν τα σκαλοπάτια μιας οικοδομής 3 -3 Εγώ πηδουσα τις σελίδες 3 -3 !!Μια φίλη σε μια συζήτηση είπε κάποτε για τις υστερικές ηρωίδες κάποιων Αρλεκιν μάλλον σε κάτι τέτοιες αναφερόταν αν όχι στη συγκεκριμένη.Κρυόπλαστοι ήρωες χωρίς ψυχή..Από τα χειρότερα που έχω διαβάσει .Ηταν η πρώτη γνωριμία μου με τη συγγραφέα και θα π ...more
Teri-k
This is a typical Neels book in that the heroine is a nurse and the hero is a RDD, but there's a difference I really enjoyed. Unlike most of her stories where the growing affection between the couples takes place off the page, here we get to see both MC's slowly falling in love, which added much to my enjoyment.
Robin
Briefly, part of this is from another review, but will explain my bias a little. [Ok, before I go into my review, I feel I have to be 100% honest with you. I am a huge - make that HUGE Betty Neels fan. I discovered her when I was 10 or 11 years old. Over the years, I have collected every Betty Neels novel ever in print. Even special ordering them all the way from England because I was having difficulty finding them over here in the States.]

OVERALL: 4 1/2 STARS

Story/Plot: 5 - Having read any num
Marybelle
Sep 19, 2014 Marybelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this is my second reading of this book, it amazes still amazes me how Betty Neels had a true knack for making the reader feel what her main characters feel. In-and-of itself the story line is simple and uneventful. Here we have a girl who has been told all of her life that she is plain and unattractive. Those who loved her were taken away from her by death, and she was left only with criticism and loneliness. She meets a man who she comes to love and one of his ex girlfriends purposefully put ...more
Hm. I liked that Rose's "beautiful but shallow" friend was actually nice, I liked that lame-ass houseman Percy was a dick from the get go as opposed to leading to some big misunderstanding.

I didn't like that the "other woman" bitch barely existed, and Rose shouldn't have believed her at all. The bitchy other woman wasn't much of a bitch to Rose, but she did view a child die, basically. That was odd. I didn't like that the hospital got hit by a bomb AGAIN (seriously, this happens in so many Betty
StMargarets
Rounding off the year by re-reading Betty. This is a good one. It's the Dutch doctor/Brit nurse formula, but the fun is watching the slow burn as the hero falls for the plain but sensible heroine - seemingly against his will. Rose is a worthy heroine who has her back up from the beginning when she overhears the hero asking for another more lively nurse to "special" his young patient in Holland. He doesn't get his way and Rose proves herself to be a first-rate nurse. The entire romance is based o ...more
Helen Manning
Mar 17, 2015 Helen Manning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of her better books. PBN and RDD meet when she knocks on his door; because of a storm, while on holiday with her friend Sadie. She is treated as an afterthought by the Doctor who is taken with the beautiful Sadie. When the Doctor needs an English nurse to take care of his godson; Chrissy and Duert's firstborn, he initially wants Sadie but Rose is fostered off on him instead. Slowly the relationship develops, with Rose falling in love and the Doctor becoming intrigued by the English mouse who ...more
Kathleen
Not the best by Neels, but I liked it because it includes a pair of lovers from a previous book, Not Once but Twice, which I did like.

The heroine of this novel is Rose, a nurse. When Duert and Christina's little boy fractures his skull, Christina begs Rose to nurse him. She wants an English nurse, so they can understand each other.

So we get a new romance plus we peer into the ter Brandt's happy home. :-)
Janice Aitkens
Jan 07, 2016 Janice Aitkens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this is a good book reading it i had the feeling i had read something similar to this one as i am reading Betty Neels Collection all 134 of her books started at book one & up to this one which is book 70 can't remember what book it was but as i said very similar
If you haven't read many of Betty's books then it better than the star rating as i downgraded it just because it too much like one of her previous books
Pat
May 21, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A plain nurse and a handsome doctor get together again. Also, the doctor's former girlfriend misleads the nurse into thinking she is going to marry the doctor, to the nurse's disappointment.

Not as much travelogue, food description or talk of clothing in this one. Instead a lot more insight into the way the children's ward of a British hospital was run.

Also this book mentioned Madurodam, the miniature city near The Hague, which I'd never heard of until a few weeks ago.
Deborah Darsie
Feb 02, 2013 Deborah Darsie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Betty Neels fans
Classic Neels. She writes gentle, consistent romantic stories.
Not steamy...Not bodice-rippers

Each one of her stories is familiar, a wealthy medical man in need of a wife - whether he realizes it or not. And a young lady who has been or has just begun her nursing career. They meet, they have lots of awkward and wistful encounters. Eventually the man starts to wake up but neither of them wants to say anything to the other about their feelings.

Cecilia
Back cover blurb:
Blossoming into Love

Through pure chance, Rose met Sybren Werdmer ter Sane, one of the most eminent surgeons in Holland. Their accidental encounter led to a job for Rose, nursing Sybren's godson. She loved everything about her new life—including Sybren! But surely such an important man wouldn't have time to take an interest in her. Yet what Rose didn't realize was that she had the gift of love, and it touched everyone around her—even hardhearted surgeons.
Tessa in Mid-Michigan
The girl is a mess. She needs to be taken care of--hates her chosen career, dreams of luxurious food, wants the handsome dr. but never believes herself worthy. They have stupid arguments that don't make sense. He plans everything out, asking nothing of her likes/dislikes. She listens and doesn't talk--isn't it wonderful? Yuck. Not much plot, not much character. No more Betty Neels for me.
Patricia schmit
Apr 26, 2016 Patricia schmit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Exciting Story - Sometimes

The story is set in the medical community, and events there are so interestingly recorded so that one is forced to keep reading. However, from time to time, the story shifts and is almost boring. The good parts make the whole book rewarding.
Amy
Jan 04, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet book!
Huma
Jan 31, 2015 Huma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was my first encounter with Mills and Boon and ever since then I am hooked to Betty Neels Doctor Nurse Romance....
Liz Michaels
Sep 30, 2014 Liz Michaels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Allison
Jan 22, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another sweet book. Very entertaining and undemanding.
Hopefulpuffin
Rolls and a Rover

Not my favorite by a long shot. The OW wasn't much in this one. Best part was meeting up with Christina and Duert again. I especially liked Duert's description of Sybren as a "dark horse".

This one features another hospital bombing.

If you're new to the Land of Neels, I'd skip this one.
Nenya
Feb 16, 2016 Nenya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-i-read-this
2 stars on the scale of 'Betty Neels'.

H doesn't just think she is plain, he initially makes a play for her friend and is only just 'kind' to her (the h). Also, he has a steady girlfriend (Mies) -- who is also a key in the Big MisUnderstanding, which drags on! He could've just told her! Not my fav hero.

h is fine. orphan. has a loving aunt with whom she spends her days off.

edit: I've read this again, and I rather liked it. Yes, it's not my favorite BN, but I'll up the stars from 2 to 4.
Samantha
Oct 25, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore Betty Neels. My mom introduced me to her books and rereading this book reminded me of the first time I read it and just how much I love Betty's writing.
Merry
Merry rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Pamela Kource
Pamela Kource rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Wg
Wg rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Hillary Pettegrew
Hillary Pettegrew rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Indigo
Indigo rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2009
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • Luke
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • The Perfect Father (The Crightons) (Harlequin Presents # 2092)
  • A Husband of Inconvenience | Suami Pengganti
  • Shaman King, Vol. 6: Road Trip to Izumo
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Ayah Paro Waktu
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • The Sicilian Surrender - Terpikat Sang Pria Sisilia
  • Forgotten Husband (Santanas Men, #1)
  • House of Mirrors
  • Mistress for a Month
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels...