Start by marking “A Girl Named Rose” as Want to Read:
A Girl Named Rose

A Girl Named Rose

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Through pure chance, Rose met Sybren Werdmer ter Sane, one of the most eminent surgeons in Holland. Their accidental encounter led to a job for Rose, nursing Sybren's godson. She loved everything about her new lifeincluding Sybren! But surely such an important man wouldn't have time to take an interest in her. Yet what Rose didn't realize was that she had the gift of love,
Published June 7th 2011 by Harlequin (first published August 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Named Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Named Rose

ah..... hmmm.. I think I am definitely in the minority on this one, but I found the heroine just plain annoying. She had a chip on her shoulder larger than the state of Montana.

It started out strong, but went downhill fast.

- They hardly spent anytime together, and when they did the heroine was an absolute shrew. (Poor Sybren. For the life of me, I had a hard time figuring out what he found so endearing about her)

- She certainly wasn't pretty. We know that, because Betty told us 100 times that
Pamela Shropshire
4 1/2 stars. Rose Comely has no family except for Aunt Millicent, her late mother’s elder sister and a step-mother, with whom no love is lost. Her step-mother has pounded into Rose’s head that she is plain and that no man will want to marry her. Now, newly Gold-medal qualified, Rose and her pretty friend, Sadie, are on holiday with some other nurses in Amsterdam to celebrate their qualifying. Rose and Sadie get lost while wandering the streets of Amsterdam when it begins to storm. Rose knocks on ...more
Reading with Cats
Not a good sign when a character describes the heroine as a tiresome child and I was nodding along with him and saying "And don't forget TSTL, Sybren." Also, what was with the random hospital bombing? I'll admit I was skimming by this time, but this plot point seemed to drop into the story completely out of nowhere. So to speak.

My favorite TSTL moment:
Sybren: "There's this really sketchy section of Amsterdam that you should avoid because hooligans hang out there and they'll surround you and taun
Betty Neels had a true knack for making the reader feel what her main characters feel. In-and-of itself the story line is simple and uneventful. Here we have a girl who has been told all of her life that she is plain and unattractive. Those who loved her were taken away from her by death, and she was left only with criticism and loneliness. She meets a man who she comes to love and one of his ex girlfriends purposefully puts a wedge between them. Not a new storyline in any way, shape, or form, e ...more
Not the best by Neels, but I liked it because it includes a pair of lovers from a previous book, Not Once but Twice, which I did like.

The heroine of this novel is Rose, a nurse. When Duert and Christina's little boy fractures his skull, Christina begs Rose to nurse him. She wants an English nurse, so they can understand each other.

So we get a new romance plus we peer into the ter Brandt's happy home. :-)
Briefly, part of this is from another review, but will explain my bias a little. [Ok, before I go into my review, I feel I have to be 100% honest with you. I am a huge - make that HUGE Betty Neels fan. I discovered her when I was 10 or 11 years old. Over the years, I have collected every Betty Neels novel ever in print. Even special ordering them all the way from England because I was having difficulty finding them over here in the States.]

Story/Plot: 5 - Having read any num
Hm. I liked that Rose's "beautiful but shallow" friend was actually nice, I liked that lame-ass houseman Percy was a dick from the get go as opposed to leading to some big misunderstanding.

I didn't like that the "other woman" bitch barely existed, and Rose shouldn't have believed her at all. The bitchy other woman wasn't much of a bitch to Rose, but she did view a child die, basically. That was odd. I didn't like that the hospital got hit by a bomb AGAIN (seriously, this happens in so many Betty
Helen Manning
One of her better books. PBN and RDD meet when she knocks on his door; because of a storm, while on holiday with her friend Sadie. She is treated as an afterthought by the Doctor who is taken with the beautiful Sadie. When the Doctor needs an English nurse to take care of his godson; Chrissy and Duert's firstborn, he initially wants Sadie but Rose is fostered off on him instead. Slowly the relationship develops, with Rose falling in love and the Doctor becoming intrigued by the English mouse who ...more
It was my first encounter with Mills and Boon and ever since then I am hooked to Betty Neels Doctor Nurse Romance....
A plain nurse and a handsome doctor get together again. Also, the doctor's former girlfriend misleads the nurse into thinking she is going to marry the doctor, to the nurse's disappointment.

Not as much travelogue, food description or talk of clothing in this one. Instead a lot more insight into the way the children's ward of a British hospital was run.

Also this book mentioned Madurodam, the miniature city near The Hague, which I'd never heard of until a few weeks ago.
Back cover blurb:
Blossoming into Love

Through pure chance, Rose met Sybren Werdmer ter Sane, one of the most eminent surgeons in Holland. Their accidental encounter led to a job for Rose, nursing Sybren's godson. She loved everything about her new life—including Sybren! But surely such an important man wouldn't have time to take an interest in her. Yet what Rose didn't realize was that she had the gift of love, and it touched everyone around her—even hardhearted surgeons.
Deborah Darsie
Feb 02, 2013 Deborah Darsie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Betty Neels fans
Classic Neels. She writes gentle, consistent romantic stories.
Not steamy...Not bodice-rippers

Each one of her stories is familiar, a wealthy medical man in need of a wife - whether he realizes it or not. And a young lady who has been or has just begun her nursing career. They meet, they have lots of awkward and wistful encounters. Eventually the man starts to wake up but neither of them wants to say anything to the other about their feelings.

Another sweet book. Very entertaining and undemanding.
Ruby marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Teri-k marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Sharon added it
Sep 15, 2015
Sidonia marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Fitri marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Lesly added it
Aug 23, 2015
Mary added it
Aug 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • Luke (Harlequin Temptation, #938)
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • Forgotten Husband (Santanas Men, #1)
  • Cowboy at Midnight (Fortunes of Texas: Reunion #1)
  • Shaman King, Vol. 3: The Lizard Man
  • The Italian's Wife
  • The Perfect Father (The Crightons) (Harlequin Presents # 2092)
  • The Virgin's Seduction (Harlequin Presents, #2519)
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • The Unforgettable Husband (Amnesia)
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Mistress on Loan
  • 3, 2, 1... Married!: Catch a Cowboy, Collide with a Single Daddy, Get Personal
  • His Wedding Ring of Revenge
  • Bought By The Greek Tycoon
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...
An Old-Fashioned Girl The Quiet Professor Cassandra by Chance A Girl In a Million Winter Wedding