Start by marking “Sins of a Wicked Duke” as Want to Read:
Sins of a Wicked Duke

Sins of a Wicked Duke (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  3,161 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
She works to live . . .

One would think the last place a beauty like Fallon O'Rourke could keep her virtue was in the Mayfair mansion of London's most licentious duke, the notorious Dominic Hale. Yet Fallon—who's endured nothing but lecherous advances since her father's tragic death—is perfectly safe there . . . disguised as a footman! Beneath the notice of the dark-haired
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sins of a Wicked Duke, please sign up.

Aroosa Awww wish he would.......Ethan Waverly, Viscount Hunt sounded rogue and a gentleman both at the same time....Not bad …moreAwww wish he would.......Ethan Waverly, Viscount Hunt sounded rogue and a gentleman both at the same time....Not bad ♡(less)

Catherine
After reading multiple enthusiastic reviews at multiple sites I decided to pick this book up. Unfortunately this book didn't work for me nearly as well as it did for those other happy readers. The description of the book sounded promising and the details mentioned by the reviews were ones that I usually like. For some reason it just didn't come together for me in this book. I spent most of the book with one eyebrow cocked struggling to believe in the characters and their motivations.

For some rea
Sarah MacLean
Just reread SOAWD...and was reminded of how AMAZING Sophie Jordan is. This is my favorite of her books (though I love them all...), perfect tortured hero meets fabulous, feisty heroine...who dresses as a male (one of my favorite things). The reveal of her actual gender is perfectly pitched...you will not be able to put this one down. Sophie Jordan is one of the very best.
Lisa Kay
(This is a review of the audiobook.) This is well narrated by Emily Gray. I would certainly listen to her again. I give the narration .

I didn’t realize I’d read this book before until I started listening to this one. Alas, I think I’ve turned into a prude. There are a couple of ‘ick factors’ in this one. The first one I tried to shake off, the second I couldn’t: (view spoiler)
Julie (jjmachshev)
"Sins of a Wicked Duke" is Sophie Jordan's latest historical with moderate heat about a young woman whose temperment and looks have made it hard for her to keep a job. So she does the unthinkable--cuts her long hair, disguises herself, and hires on as a footman!

Fallon's life took a hard turn as a young girl when her father died. She was sent to a school where her flame-red hair earned her especially harsh treatment from the headmaster. She hated every moment, but did cherish the two friends she
Ruth
Wow! This is very different from most HRs. The hero is really an anti-hero, and unlike most HRs with rakes as heroes, this one really is a rake - unpleasant, decadent, rather sexually depraved and just plain nasty. The heroine is also rather unlikeable, although more understandably so - she's had a pretty tough deal from life and continues to get one, although I did get the impression she could maybe have learnt a bit more from her experiences.

Dressing herself up as a footman is inspired. I nor
Tammy Walton Grant
Denise

Two people emotionally scarred from their childhoods, Fallon O'Rourke and Dominic Hale, Duke of Damon meet when she is being accosted in the street by her employers inebriated son who has been trying to get her to "play" with him and his friends. Dom passes this scene while in his carriage fondling the two women with him. When he stops to rescue her, she already has saved herself by kneeing the man in the groin. Dom gives her a ride and propositions her after trying to shock her while fondling
Erika
Nov 30, 2011 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
A savage smile twisted his lips. Anger burned in his blood. Dark and dangerous. He flattened both hands on the wall, one on either side of her head. Damp heat emanated from her body, drawing him in. Leaning closer, her palm rose up to flatten against his chest, clearly thinking to stop him.
Blistering heat sparked where they touched. Her gaze flared wide, almost directly on level with his. But she did not withdraw. Not as she should. Something held her hand there, a will that matched his own, a
Maureen Feeney
Mar 16, 2010 Maureen Feeney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
My first book by SJ, but definitely not my last.
The reviews have said nearly all I want to say. I just love the bit at the start of the book where Dominic tries to shock Fallon in the carraige, I didn't expect that! Great scene.

I am going to order the sequel "In scandal they wed" Evies story straight away. Very entertaining enjoyable book.
Ally72
May 20, 2009 Ally72 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Sophie Jordan's books and I think she just keeps getting better! I think Sophie's heroines always have strong personalities and are very likable in each of her books. I especially liked "Sins of A Wicked Duke" and am looking forward to the other books that will start this new series!
♡Karlyn P♡
A cute and quick historical read. Not much depth but overall a satisfying, light love story. If you like stories of the heroine dressing/hiding as a man, this will appeal to you.
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
Damn you, high expectations. You ruin everything.

Dianna
There’s a Mr Brocklehurst! And he’s running a horrible school for girls! Unfortunately, when a story peaks in the prologue, it’s not a good sign.

So Fallon is a tall girl with big hair and a chip on her shoulder. She’s left the creepy clutches of the Brocklehurst and become a housemaid to a widow. When the widow’s son starts making moves she runs from the house! He gives chase! She punches him! Fallon is now out of a job.

Her altercation is witnessed by Duke Dominic, who offers her a ride in his
Katya
As I read this book, the following scene came to mind. Indluge me if you will as I describe it.

Living room. AUTHOR and BOOK sit by the cozy fire.

BOOK (in the most aww voice you can imagine): When I grow up, I want to be Jane Eyre !

AUTHOR looks down with the weary exasperation of adults.

AUTHOR: That's nice, dear, but that's a pretty big goal. Why don't we stick to the hot and heavy romance and leave classics to others?

BOOK: But I CAN be like Jane Eyre ! With serious themes, like slut-shaming a
Willow Brook
Jan 15, 2012 Willow Brook rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This was just ok. I really didn't care for the hero Dominic, who was an asshat much of the time. He whores around, drinks heavily, finds it amusing to call his servants by the wrong name and his first attempt at "seduction" is to suck on another woman's breast in front of the heroine Fallon whom he has just met and whom he knows has just fought off the unwanted advances of another "gentleman." Keep on mind this is some time in the 19th Century, Fallon is a virgin, just faced possible rape from a ...more
Anne
Feb 05, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
At first, some of the things the hero does bothered me. But as I grew to know more about him, I felt more sympathy as to why he had become a notorious womanizer. The Heroine is a hoot, dressing as a male after several awful jobs where it was a real chore to keep her virtue. Of course she ends up with the wicked duke working as a footman. And of course she gets away with it.....for a while. A clever and cute story with some heart wrenching parts., I enjoyed the book.
Kazen
Jul 13, 2015 Kazen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This just wasn't my kind of book. I was excited to see gender-bending mentioned in the blurb, but it was way too easy for Fallon to pass as a guy. Just cut your hair and change your clothes, no one will notice! Riiiight.

We're told she's not all that pretty, but that doesn't stop every male in the book from fawning over her. And when she was dressed as a guy, the girls liked her too! It's almost comical.

Dominic, our hero, is just over the alpha a-hole line for me. (view spoiler)
Nalnac
May 15, 2011 Nalnac rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll make this short.

Pages upon pages of no events but a rather boring attempt at romance between two poorly developed characters: Fallon The maiden and Dominic The demon duke.
Honestly, I have read much better UST, sensual banter and battle of 'resistyounot', in the (free)pages of fanfictions.
And being this an historical romance, well I couldn't even find a trace of something "historical" in here. In what year is this story set? Did I miss something? There's not even one date, an indication thr
SW
Aug 03, 2012 SW rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up from Amazon for the Kindle because it was $1.99 at the time otherwise I usually borrow these kind of book (historical romances) from the library. (Side-note I love that my library has ebooks I can read on my Kindle and Tablet)

The book starts off and introduces you to 3 girls at this scary all girls school called Penwich School for Virtuous Girls, it kind of sound like an all girls orphanage, where the principle doesn't feed them all the time and let the bullies run amuck and al
HÜLYA
Sep 25, 2013 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitap Adı : Aşkın Günahı
Yazarı : Sophie JordAN
Orjinal Adı :Sins of a Wicked Duke
Goodreads Puanı : 5/3,78
Puanım : 5/4

Sophie Jordan en sevdiğim yazarlardandır..İLk Düğün Gecesi romanı ile onunla tanışmıştım..Yazarım kitaplarında yarattığı sıra dışı dünyayı çok seviyorum..

Penwich Erdemli Kızlar Okulu isimli üç kitaplık serinin ilk kitabı Aşkın Günahı isimli kitabı yazarın diğer kitaplarına göre daha değişik ve egzotik buldum..Kurgusundan çok bende bırakmış olduğu duygu yoğunluğunu sevdim..Özellikl
Jessa
Jun 12, 2013 Jessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Having liked Sophie Jordan in the past, this book is a disappointment and in particular felt like a poor imitation of A Duke's Temptation by Jillian Hunter.

The story begins with Fallon who has grown mistreated in a poor and demeaning orphanage. Because of her striking appearance and red hair, has a hard time keeping a position inside a respectable household. After the son of her employer makes unwanted advances she flees. This is all quite standard for books in this period. Fallon decides the o
D.G.
This book was really light on plot. The author tried to make it a bit angsty with a tormented hero and a cross dressing heroine but neither plot was developed properly so we end up with a story full of cliches that it's not satisfying.

Both main characters had tough childhoods, her in a terrible school (reminded me of the one Jane Eyre attended, with no food and girls dying left and right) and him with a vicar grandfather that hired a sadist governess to raise him. While the hero was completely d
Yumru
Sep 25, 2013 Yumru rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yazarın kitaplarını okumayı severim ama bu kitap sanki bu yazara ait değildi.Konu ilgi çekiciydi fakat eksikler bir hayli çoktu.Başlangıç ilginçti merakla sayfaları çevirdim ama hayalkırıklığı yaşadım,güzelim hikaye bir çırpıda bambaşka yerlere gitmeye başlayınca tüm okuma hevesim kaçtı diyebilirim.

Takıldığım çok yer var, bayan karakterin devamlı öne sürülen elleri,yüzü ve saçları yada güzel değil aslında da çekici bir amazon kadını denip durdu :/Değilse nedir sizi çeken bu kadar deyip durdum :)
Kim H
May 15, 2009 Kim H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A letdown and more than a little disgusting, IMO. The hero is a complete slut; I wouldn't touch him with tweezers, and I really don't understand why the heroine would find him attractive. He has reasons for being like he is, they always do, but he was too repulsive early on for me to care what they were. The heroine comes from rough circumstances and is actually fairly street smart, so you'd think she'd be afraid of contracting an STD from him:P Of course, she's in his household masquerading as ...more
Amanda
I really don't know what went wrong with this book. To be honest, I barely finished it. I skimmed through the last five chapters or so just to be done with it. It's sad really because I liked Sophie Jordan's writing for the most part, I loved Fallon and I especially enjoyed the whole woman dresses as a man trope since it's one of my favs. But the fact that I didn't understand nor could I get behind the main romance, and also because the hero was a giant perv, hindered my overall enjoyment of the ...more
Naoms
Aug 09, 2015 Naoms rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Sophie Jordan is officially my one sitting author. I keep reading her books in a matter of hours.
inmypapasan
Farindra
susah untuk menentukan apakah novel ini pantas mendapatkan 3 bintang atau cukup dua bintang saja. hero-nya benar2 menyebalkan dan immoral. ighh enggak banget masak dia main gituan di depan seorang gadis yang baru ditemuinya hanya karena ingin tahu reaksi si gadis kek gimana.

okay, jadi falon o'rourke berhasil memecat dirinya sendiri dari tempat dia bekerja karena menendang anunya anak majikannya, karena si anak majikan mau coba2 ngajak falon begituan. sesaat setelah kejadian itu, lewatlah damon
K.C.
Aug 14, 2014 K.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first few historical romance book I read and although I probably don't know anything about the life of London girls in the 18th century, I voice a few personal of of view in this review. if there is any bias or incorrect information in my POV, let me apologise in advance.

First of all, I truly enjoy this book. Personally, I think the book has brilliant characters with personalities that would probably be a bit too unreal and inappropriate for modern time novels but can only be found i
Erica Chilson
I found this paperback secondhand at my library's book sale. I'm glad I took a chance on it. A quick read, for which I was thankful. While I love this genre, most of the books tend to drag on after the first half, not pulling the trigger on that ending we all know is coming, boring the hell out of me. With Sins of a Wicked Dude, the majority of the story was in the first half, with the last half barreling towards the conclusion, thank goodness. Only one bout of dragging out the inevitable, but i ...more
Loving this Wicked Man 3 35 Mar 30, 2012 10:01PM
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters #1)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • The Devil's Waltz
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • Confessions of an Improper Bride (Donovan Sisters, #1)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • What an Earl Wants
  • Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years
More about Sophie Jordan...

The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls (3 books)
  • In Scandal They Wed (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #2)
  • Wicked Nights With a Lover (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #3)

“I wish for adventure.