Start by marking “God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology” as Want to Read:
God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology

God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Drawing from GodOCOs self-revelation in Exodus 34, Hamilton moves through the Bible book by book, showing that there is one theological center to the whole Bible: GodOCOs glory in salvation through judgment."
Published January 1st 2010 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment

Brian Watson
Apr 08, 2013 Brian Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book five stars for ambition and usefulness in terms of content. Hamilton's thesis is the central theme of the Bible - and therefore the central theme of all reality - is God's glory in salvation through judgment. Many people would say the center of theology is God's glory. But Hamilton doesn't think that is precise enough. God is most glorified by saving, but he only saves through judging. So, God saved Noah and his family through the judgment on the world in the flood. There ar ...more
Nate Claiborne
Helpful in getting the big picture story of the Bible, loved the charts. But, presses to hard to find the center explicit in every book, which makes for rough reading of the wisdom literature.
Lindsay Kennedy
Nov 09, 2013 Lindsay Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my full review where I engage more deeply with pros/cons of this book see this link:

Here is an excerpt of my conclusion:

God’s Glory in Salvation Through Judgment would be a wonderful resource when studying or teaching through a Bible book, particularly because of the literary flow and the tables and charts that Hamilton provides.

Perhaps surprisingly, this book would be equally excellent to supplement personal (‘devotional’) Bible reading. This book rea
Brandon Zaffini
May 24, 2014 Brandon Zaffini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much from this book and was greatly challenged by it. The message is important, but also sobering. On the down side, the book is dry in parts, overly lengthy and somewhat repetitive.
Lawson Hembree
Dec 31, 2015 Lawson Hembree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, top-5-2015
Too often, Christians spend so much time studying individual portions of Scripture that they unconsciously neglect to treat the Bible as a book with a central theme. Approaching Scripture from a macro perspective is called biblical theology. In God’s Glory in Salvation through Judgment, Hamilton posits that the theme woven throughout the entire Bible is that God mercifully saves His chosen people through the exercise of His righteous judgment, and in doing so brings glory to Himself. Dr. Hamilto ...more
Mark
Nov 24, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamilton's contribution attempts to find the center of Biblical Theology in what he calls "God's glory in salvation through judgment." In this work Hamilton seeks to prove that the God-centeredness of God is the main theme of the Bible, and that God's passion for His own glory is worked out in the salvation of his people through judgment. The apex of this judgment is clearly the cross of Christ where the God-man is judged on behalf of our sins, and we are saved. I think it would be fair to say t ...more
Todd Miles
Feb 18, 2011 Todd Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Hamilton's "God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology" is a book of extraordinary magnitude. His contribution to the recent rise of biblical theology as a significant theological and hermeneutical disicpline is most welcome because he argues for a specific center to biblical theology. In so doing, Hamilton provides commentary on every book of the Bible, demonstrating that the ultimate focus of each author in each book was God's glory in salvation through judgment. This i ...more
Craig Hurst
Jan 14, 2012 Craig Hurst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biblical theology is a discipline that is long overdue for biblically-based scholarly attention in a more public, accepted and permeating manner. It has been long been established that The Biblical Theology Movement as spearheaded by Brevard S. Childs in the ‘40′s – ‘60′s did not accomplish what it set out to do in reaction to the source and form criticism of liberal theology. Until the last 10-15 years, biblical theology as a discipline had been almost lying dormant in terms of having a major i ...more
Brendan
Aug 13, 2013 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, nonfiction
What's great about this book is it's simplicity. Dr. Hamilton has a purpose as he writes; to show the theme of God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgement through all the bible. He systematically walks through each book of the bible and shows how the overarching narrative is just that.

I would not recommend reading this book straight through, or trying to pick it up for some light reading. It really is a reference text, and it helps inform what is happening in the scriptures as you read them. I be
Zach Hedges
Dec 27, 2013 Zach Hedges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I am generally somewhat cautious of the "single-center" approach to biblical theology, Hamilton is effective in arguing for God's glory in two specific manifestations of salvation and judgment as the organizing principle for all Scripture. At most points his case is strong and well-articulated (e.g., the Prophets and OT narratives) while at others it suffers from some definitional ambiguity and general farfetched-ness due to his commitment to a book-by-book approach. Broadly speaking, howe ...more
J.M. Noble
Jan 10, 2015 J.M. Noble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have recommended it to several people. A slow, thorough, honest examination of what has been written here proved to be deeply moving and spiritually enriching in my own personal life. It is a well-thought, convincingly argued thesis for a center driving concept in biblical theology.
Eric Molicki
May 29, 2015 Eric Molicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This is an important work for pastors to methodically engage with. He posits a central thesis for Scripture and provides enough strong evidence over the course of his survey of the entire Bible that it demands interaction. Reformed theology has long seen "the covenant" as the organizing vehicle of Biblical theology. Hamilton's work has prompted me to consider his thesis as .the very heart of what the vehicle of the covenant is created to deliver.

I loved reading this slowly as part of my devoti
Hank Pharis
Nov 04, 2015 Hank Pharis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book on several levels. Hamilton walks the reader through all 66 books of the Bible and shows that the fundamental theme in all of them is the glory of God. God's glory is demonstrated in two primary ways: judgment and salvation. If you only ever read one book surveying the Bible and summarizing its theology, this is the best I've read thus far. Especially instructive is his approach to typology.
Andrew Wise
Jan 31, 2011 Andrew Wise rated it really liked it
A thorough, comprehensive examination of the entire biblical canon with a view to demonstrating a proposed central theme: God's glory in salvation through judgment. As a reference work, the book could be an incredible resource for studying particular books and passages, giving one the wide-angle lens for discerning context. A straight-through reading may become somewhat repetitive, as the main goal of the author is to overtly reinforce his thesis throughout.
Dr. Hamilton is a professor of bibli
Job Dalomba
Nov 11, 2014 Job Dalomba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
The title is shown to be true on every page. A great work for sure.
Coyle
Nov 30, 2011 Coyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this book was a slog. Although much of the content is fine (some of it is even excellent), it's probably best used as a reference, rather than read cover-to-cover. Especially grating is the fact that the phrase "glory in salvation through judgment" makes it almost onto every passage. Which isn't to say it's not an important point, just that stylistically it got a bit repetitive.
Nonetheless, the content is useful and I'll likely go back to it from time to time as I'm studying individual boo
Bekah Mason
Aug 07, 2012 Bekah Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The information included is thorough and can at times be overwhelming, but it is worth the effort. The inclusion of extensive explanations of timely cultural facts helps 21st C. Readers more clearly understand the timeless nature of God and man's covenental relationship with Him.
Very useful as a reference book and chapters stand well alone, but can also be read, slowly, cover to cover for a complete picture of Scripture's treatment of the theme of covenant.
Dylan Bailey
May 27, 2014 Dylan Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am currently going through this book because Dr. Hamilton is my Old Testament professor, although, if he were not my professor i will still read this book. Because of this wonderful book I have gained a love for the study of Biblical Theology. As of now i have only read the Old Testament sections, but i am looking forward to reading the rest this summer. I highly recommend!
Matt Chapman
Mar 02, 2013 Matt Chapman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very thorough, God-centred, book by book journey through the Bible. Hamilton makes a compelling case for what he argues is the centre of Biblical theology - God's glory in salvation through judgment.

Perhaps a little too long if viewed as simply arguing that point but if seen as also being a detailed chapter by chapter walk through the Bible it is surprisingly succinct.
Aaron Choi
Jul 18, 2012 Aaron Choi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, bible
4.5 stars as a reference work (which Hamilton himself emphasizes as the book's primary utility).
3 stars as a cover-to-cover read (which it's not intended to be but I mistakenly attempted to treat it as such).
Lucas Bradburn
Aug 27, 2012 Lucas Bradburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes a good case for the "center" of the Bible as being "God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment." Although it is a bit ambitious at times, Hamilton's book is exegetically driven and insightful.
Jeremy Wright
Jan 16, 2011 Jeremy Wright rated it it was amazing
Great survey of Scripture with an eye to Gods glory in salvation through judgment. Serves as a great quick reference guide to placing books and texts in the grand scheme of Gods word.
Drew
Jan 23, 2012 Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long while to appreciate this book, but now that the final pages have been read I have really come to cherish the time spent.
Alasdair Peterson
Great reference book and the introductory are exhilirating. Not one to read through from cover to cover though.
Rick Hogaboam
Jul 18, 2013 Rick Hogaboam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hamilton enters the heavyweight category with this massive volume. I will read this a second time in the future.
Maggie Fink
Jan 13, 2013 Maggie Fink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a quick read by any means but an excellent examination of a prominent theme found in Scripture
Tj
Apr 24, 2012 Tj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great guide through the Bible, but not convinced of his thesis.
Ben Krueger
Oct 30, 2011 Ben Krueger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read chapter one only, it will be worth your time.
Brian Vandenburg
Brian Vandenburg marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Combine and add Kindle edition 3 20 Jan 25, 2013 05:05AM
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • The King in His Beauty: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments
  • From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • Gospel And Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation Of The Old Testament
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • Dominion and Dynasty: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • The Scriptures Testify about Me: Jesus and the Gospel in the Old Testament
  • Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ
  • The Man Christ Jesus: Theological Reflections on the Humanity of Christ
  • Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Whole People
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • Am I Called?: The Summons to Pastoral Ministry
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept

“The Bible is more to be admired than the Louvre Museum, and the Gospel of John is perhaps its Mona Lisa.” 0 likes
“God’s righteousness condemns every attempt to be justified by works.” 0 likes