Start by marking “God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology” as Want to Read:
God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology

God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Drawing from GodOCOs self-revelation in Exodus 34, Hamilton moves through the Bible book by book, showing that there is one theological center to the whole Bible: GodOCOs glory in salvation through judgment."
Published January 1st 2010 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment

Brian Watson
I'm giving this book five stars for ambition and usefulness in terms of content. Hamilton's thesis is the central theme of the Bible - and therefore the central theme of all reality - is God's glory in salvation through judgment. Many people would say the center of theology is God's glory. But Hamilton doesn't think that is precise enough. God is most glorified by saving, but he only saves through judging. So, God saved Noah and his family through the judgment on the world in the flood. There ar ...more
Nate Claiborne
Helpful in getting the big picture story of the Bible, loved the charts. But, presses to hard to find the center explicit in every book, which makes for rough reading of the wisdom literature.
Lindsay Kennedy
For my full review where I engage more deeply with pros/cons of this book see this link:

Here is an excerpt of my conclusion:

God’s Glory in Salvation Through Judgment would be a wonderful resource when studying or teaching through a Bible book, particularly because of the literary flow and the tables and charts that Hamilton provides.

Perhaps surprisingly, this book would be equally excellent to supplement personal (‘devotional’) Bible reading. This book rea
Mark
Hamilton's contribution attempts to find the center of Biblical Theology in what he calls "God's glory in salvation through judgment." In this work Hamilton seeks to prove that the God-centeredness of God is the main theme of the Bible, and that God's passion for His own glory is worked out in the salvation of his people through judgment. The apex of this judgment is clearly the cross of Christ where the God-man is judged on behalf of our sins, and we are saved. I think it would be fair to say t ...more
Todd Miles
Jim Hamilton's "God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology" is a book of extraordinary magnitude. His contribution to the recent rise of biblical theology as a significant theological and hermeneutical disicpline is most welcome because he argues for a specific center to biblical theology. In so doing, Hamilton provides commentary on every book of the Bible, demonstrating that the ultimate focus of each author in each book was God's glory in salvation through judgment. This i ...more
Craig Hurst
Biblical theology is a discipline that is long overdue for biblically-based scholarly attention in a more public, accepted and permeating manner. It has been long been established that The Biblical Theology Movement as spearheaded by Brevard S. Childs in the ‘40′s – ‘60′s did not accomplish what it set out to do in reaction to the source and form criticism of liberal theology. Until the last 10-15 years, biblical theology as a discipline had been almost lying dormant in terms of having a major i ...more
Brendan
What's great about this book is it's simplicity. Dr. Hamilton has a purpose as he writes; to show the theme of God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgement through all the bible. He systematically walks through each book of the bible and shows how the overarching narrative is just that.

I would not recommend reading this book straight through, or trying to pick it up for some light reading. It really is a reference text, and it helps inform what is happening in the scriptures as you read them. I be
Chris Krycho
While Hamilton's treatment was generally solid, it was clear that his thesis could use considerable further exposition. Too often, the treatment of a given text was simple assertion, rather than a careful exposition of precisely how that particular passage fit into the theme he offers.

I wasn't ultimately convinced that "God's glory in salvation through judgment" is indeed the central theme of Scripture, but it certainly is one of the themes that runs throughout Scripture. Several weak points sho
Zach Hedges
While I am generally somewhat cautious of the "single-center" approach to biblical theology, Hamilton is effective in arguing for God's glory in two specific manifestations of salvation and judgment as the organizing principle for all Scripture. At most points his case is strong and well-articulated (e.g., the Prophets and OT narratives) while at others it suffers from some definitional ambiguity and general farfetched-ness due to his commitment to a book-by-book approach. Broadly speaking, howe ...more
J.M. Noble
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have recommended it to several people. A slow, thorough, honest examination of what has been written here proved to be deeply moving and spiritually enriching in my own personal life. It is a well-thought, convincingly argued thesis for a center driving concept in biblical theology.
Andrew Wise
A thorough, comprehensive examination of the entire biblical canon with a view to demonstrating a proposed central theme: God's glory in salvation through judgment. As a reference work, the book could be an incredible resource for studying particular books and passages, giving one the wide-angle lens for discerning context. A straight-through reading may become somewhat repetitive, as the main goal of the author is to overtly reinforce his thesis throughout.
Dr. Hamilton is a professor of bibli
Jeremy
Intriguing Thesis, Thorough Execution

Hamilton tells us himself that this is not the last word on the center of biblical theology, but it represents helpful progress in that direction.
Job Dalomba
The title is shown to be true on every page. A great work for sure.
Coyle
Man, this book was a slog. Although much of the content is fine (some of it is even excellent), it's probably best used as a reference, rather than read cover-to-cover. Especially grating is the fact that the phrase "glory in salvation through judgment" makes it almost onto every passage. Which isn't to say it's not an important point, just that stylistically it got a bit repetitive.
Nonetheless, the content is useful and I'll likely go back to it from time to time as I'm studying individual boo
Bekah Mason
The information included is thorough and can at times be overwhelming, but it is worth the effort. The inclusion of extensive explanations of timely cultural facts helps 21st C. Readers more clearly understand the timeless nature of God and man's covenental relationship with Him.
Very useful as a reference book and chapters stand well alone, but can also be read, slowly, cover to cover for a complete picture of Scripture's treatment of the theme of covenant.
Dylan Bailey
I am currently going through this book because Dr. Hamilton is my Old Testament professor, although, if he were not my professor i will still read this book. Because of this wonderful book I have gained a love for the study of Biblical Theology. As of now i have only read the Old Testament sections, but i am looking forward to reading the rest this summer. I highly recommend!
Matt Chapman
A very thorough, God-centred, book by book journey through the Bible. Hamilton makes a compelling case for what he argues is the centre of Biblical theology - God's glory in salvation through judgment.

Perhaps a little too long if viewed as simply arguing that point but if seen as also being a detailed chapter by chapter walk through the Bible it is surprisingly succinct.
Brandon Zaffini
I learned so much from this book and was greatly challenged by it. The message is important, but also sobering. On the down side, the book is dry in parts, overly lengthy and somewhat repetitive.
Aaron Choi
4.5 stars as a reference work (which Hamilton himself emphasizes as the book's primary utility).
3 stars as a cover-to-cover read (which it's not intended to be but I mistakenly attempted to treat it as such).
Lucas Bradburn
Makes a good case for the "center" of the Bible as being "God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment." Although it is a bit ambitious at times, Hamilton's book is exegetically driven and insightful.
Jeremy Wright
Great survey of Scripture with an eye to Gods glory in salvation through judgment. Serves as a great quick reference guide to placing books and texts in the grand scheme of Gods word.
Drew
It took me a long while to appreciate this book, but now that the final pages have been read I have really come to cherish the time spent.
Alasdair Peterson
Great reference book and the introductory are exhilirating. Not one to read through from cover to cover though.
Rick Hogaboam
Hamilton enters the heavyweight category with this massive volume. I will read this a second time in the future.
Maggie Fink
Not a quick read by any means but an excellent examination of a prominent theme found in Scripture
Tj
Great guide through the Bible, but not convinced of his thesis.
Ben Krueger
If you read chapter one only, it will be worth your time.
Derek Brown
Derek Brown marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Combine and add Kindle edition 3 20 Jan 25, 2013 05:05AM
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • The King in His Beauty: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • The Man Christ Jesus: Theological Reflections on the Humanity of Christ
  • Gospel And Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation Of The Old Testament
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • The Scriptures Testify about Me: Jesus and the Gospel in the Old Testament
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Dominion and Dynasty: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • What Is The Lord's Supper? (Crucial Questions #16)
What Is Biblical Theology?: A Guide to the Bible's Story, Symbolism, and Patterns God's Indwelling Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testaments Revelation: The Spirit Speaks to the Churches With the Clouds of Heaven: The Book of Daniel in Biblical Theology Exalting Jesus in Ezra-Nehemiah

“The transformation the church needs is the kind that results from beholding the glory of God in the face of Christ (2 Cor. 3:18–4:6). This glory of God is a saving and judging glory—an aroma of life to those being saved and death to those perishing (2 Cor. 2:15–16), and this saving and judging glory is at the center of biblical theology.” 0 likes
“Israel has forsaken Yahweh for a man who cannot find his father’s donkeys.” 0 likes