Start by marking “Wolverine: Old Man Logan” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Wolverine: Old Man Logan (Old Man Logan #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,475 Ratings  ·  558 Reviews
Mark Millar and Steve McNiven - who last teamed for the monumental Civil War - bring us the most important Wolverine story of the 21st Century. Nobody knows what happened on the night the heroes fell. All we know is that they disappeared and evil triumphed and the bad guys have been calling the shots ever since. What happened to Wolverine is the biggest mystery of all. For ...more
Published 2010 (first published November 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine, please sign up.

Eric Kersting I can't say 100%, but I'm almost positive it's a stand alone story. I read it yesterday and there are no references to any other stories.

Alejandro
It doesn’t get any better than this!!!

This is a TPB collecting the storyline "Old Man Logan", originally published in the comic book title Wolverine (Vol.3) #66 to #72 and Wolverine: Old Man Logan Giant-Size.

Creative Team:

Writer: Mark Millar

Illustrator: Steve McNiven

A LAND WITHOUT HOPE

Some say they hurt him like no one ever hurt before.

I’m sure that many of us can think that having a healing factor can be easily one of the coolest powers, and maybe we aren’t wrong, but after reading this,
Stephen
Fifty years ago, the super villains got their act together, teamed up, and wiped out the supes. Today, the U.S. is balkanized and California is run by the Hulk** and his brood ofinbred, trailer park hillbillies.
Photobucket
**California used to be the Abomination's territory but...yeah, Hulk SMASHED him.

Living with the Beverly HULKbillies is a pacifist farmer named Logan, who hasn't snikthis claws or said "Hey Bub" since the night the heroes died. Something horrible happened to Logan that night, something t
Kat Stark

100% BUY WORTHY, BITCHES

Copied from this review of Wolverine Omnibus.

Summary: Logan's old and hasn't used his claws in over 50 years. He's a farming man with wife and kids now, but money's tight. Bruce Banner's grandchildren are in charge of the area and want their money for the rent. They're low on cash so blind Hawkeye helps him out by asking him to take one road-trip in the spidey car (which apparently can climb walls) to deliver something and in return he gets the money he needs.

Throughout t
Anne
Feb 24, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A violent 'what if' futuristic tale with lots of gore, and just a pinch of the wild west in it. I guess that puts it squarely in the dystopian/cowboy/slasher genre? Brilliant! Just remember to put on your Big-Boy pants when you read it, because there are some disgusting moments in this thing, and they are all depicted with hideously beautiful artwork.
Jan
Old Man Logan does for the bad-ass superhero what Unforgiven did for the outlaw cowboy: it traumatizes him, retires him, removes him from his violent past, turns him into a farmer, but then forces him to take on that one last job... and throws in a few dystopian Mad Max landscapes for good measure. So does it work? Well, the story feels a bit derivative and shallow and stagy, but what it lacks in originality and vitality it makes up for in style and design. Old Man Logan may not be the most enga ...more
Kemper
I am a complete sucker for any kind of Days of Future Past style stories because if there’s one thing I love more than reading about an elaborate fictional construct like the Marvel universe, it’s reading about the destruction of all the heroes that populate it. Go figure….

So even though reviews by friends like Brandon and Stephen put this into three star territory, I was revved up to try it. Surprise, surprise. Three stars from me, too.

The main idea in this is pretty bad ass. The major Marvel s
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Wolverine is a pacifist?
Wolverine is old?
Wolverine is one of the last superheroes?

Yeah. Great story. I know I shoulda gotten around to this a lot sooner then I actually did...but good things come to those that wait.

And this...most certainly is a good thing.

Also...Hawkeye is pretty f'ing awesome in this book.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Old Man Logan is going to fit into the marvel universe once all this Secret Wars stuff settles down. I know it's going to be great because Jeff Lemire (one
Terence
Fifty years ago the villains won. They teamed up together and annihilated the super heroes.
description
Few survived and those who did are no longer super heroes. One hero in fact became a pacifist.
description

Old Man Logan is a depressing dystopian future mini-series where the villains killed the heroes. Hawkeye and Logan survived, but now Hawkeye is blind and Logan just wants to take care of his family. Unfortunately with villains running things simple things like not paying the rent could lead to being killed so Loga
Jeannette Nikolova
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

This was recommended to me strongly by my comic book guru boyfriend so I knew from the start that chances are big that I will like it. And I did! A lot.

Right off the bat I should say that Ihaven't exactly been in the Wolverine fandom, despite having seen all of the movies that include him. That means I wouldn't have decided on my own to start this volume at all. But ultimately the story is great! It's different from other things that I've read and espec
Nicolo Yu
Old Man Logan is the 1992 movie Unforgiven done as a superhero story. It is fitting that it was done in the Wolverine ongoing series, since Logan could be any of Clint Eastwood’s characters through the years; the strong, silent type with the gravel voice and tough as granite who lets his guns or in this case claws do the talking.

The movie and comic book plots are almost indistinguishable. A retired killer taking on one more hit to save a failing farm. Both had to avenge a fallen comrade and left
Angela
When I opened this up and it had this alternate cover, it made my day. Michael Turner (RIP) is one of my all-time favorite comic-book artists.

Who knew that I'd also end up adoring a story where the majority of super-heroes are dead? But that's exactly what happened here.

Fifty years after the villains got their shit together, and the super-heroes died (or disappeared), we catch up with Logan. We don't have any idea what happened, except it's gotta be bad as hell because he refuses to fight, not t
Julia
Jun 07, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly didn't expect this to be this good.

For starters, the artwork was awesome and the dialogue was great. Also, Wolverine has always been a good character when an author is looking for development. Another thing, it didn't bother me at all because I'm a disgusting human being, but there's a lot of gore in this. Do with that what you will.

The plot and setting is really cool. So the villains of the world teamed up (which has been a long time coming, because this is obviously a good idea for
Ronyell

[image error]

Brief Introduction:

Now, everyone knows that I am a huge fan of Wolverine, so when I heard about this unique little story called “Wolverine: Old Man Logan,” I just had to try this comic out! Luckily, I was not disappointed with this story as “Wolverine: Old Man Logan” was one of the most intense and possibly terrifying stories I had ever read about Wolverine! With spectacular writing from Mark Millar and dramatic artwork by Steve McNiven, “Wolverine: Old Man Logan” is de
Anthony
Apr 19, 2015 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty awesome futuristic-dystopian-everything-is-terrible-and-Hulks-offspring-will-eat-you take on the Marvel Universe.

A now pacifist Wolverine takes a trek across America with a blind Hawkeye. Along the way, they encounter some of the current status-quo which involves dinosaurs and biker gangs named Ghost Riders.

It's pretty bleak, and at some points it gets quite dark. Millar does his trademark thing of making everything as terrible as it could be, even under the Marvel banner.

McNiv
Sam Quixote
Nov 22, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A traumatised Wolverine leaves the superhero world behind to become a farmer and raise a family, calling himself Logan and swearing non-violence for the rest of his life Meanwhile, the grossly outnumbered superheroes who remain are overpowered by a newly organised group collecting all of the supervillains to kill the heroes and divide up America amongst them. 50 years pass and Logan has fallen behind in rent to the Banner clan, Bruce Banner's family who govern their section of America. With the ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Jan 07, 2011 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome graphic novel, one of my favorite characters, Wolverine involved in said graphic novel, a really nice snow storm and a great fire in the woodstove: what more could one ask for? Oh yeah, my family was all around on the different sofas and chairs in the living room watching Sunday NFL football. It was cozy, cool, and completely copacetic!! Here is what this wild ride has in store:
“Mark Millar and Steve McNiven - who last teamed for the monumental Civil War - bring us the most important
Brandon
Apr 12, 2012 Brandon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandon by: Stephen
Holy Shit.. that was violent.

I know, I should have expected that from the man who brought us Kick-Ass but I guess I just wasn't prepared for it. I even read Stephen's excellent review which doesn't play down or ignore the violence either. So, still.. why did this shock me? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a Marvel release and while Marvel does have a lot of darker, more extreme stuff out there, nothing I've read even comes close to this.

The violence, while insanely over the t
Mike
Mar 10, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little story. A well-populated, detailed and teasing what-if about a future where the bad guys won. Lots of hints that Millar and McNiven throw at us along the way that aren't even explained - just there giving you a rich flavour for what happened, what's currently going on and who's left (and how everyone else died). I'm fascinated by how rich a backstory they had to develop in order to populate the pages, and that love and care for this universe shows.

I'd read another six collections of
Adam
Jan 27, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
An entertaining mix of post-apocalyptic action, western, and Marvel universe "what if?" story.

Wolverine is an old man with a wife and children, a dirt farm, and no desire to ever fight again in an America 50 years in the future in which the superheroes are all dead and the major supervillains have all carved up the country into their own personal fiefdoms. Will they eventually push old man Logan too far? You betcha.

The artwork is consistently fantastic, although the plot loses a lot of steam by
Salman Mehedy Titas
Now this is one artistic piece of work. A beautiful dystopia. Okay, perhaps 'beautiful' is not the right word. That would have to be 'horrific'. Admittedly, I don't read that many of dystopia, so I might not be the best source of the subject. But I can say that this was artistic, plot was interesting, actions scenes were violent, bloody and gory, and full of suspense.

Fifty years ago the Super Villains united under the leadership of the Red Skull. With unparalleled leadership, he led them to war
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Loved it! Full review to come.

FULL REVIEW

The synopsis basically explains everything you need to know to be able to dive into this particular story arc. It's been 50 years since all the supervillains finally figured out that by teaming up, they could get rid of the heroes and take over completely. Wolverine is now just known as Logan and has let himself just become an old man, caring for his family in a harsh new world. The Hulk Gang (Bruce Banner's inbred, cannibalistic descendants) runs what
Greta is Erikasbuddy
This was freaking awesome!!

Blood, gore, guts, death!! It has it all!! Seriously, if you have a 12 year old boy.... He'll WANT to READ THIS!!

And man... is there GORE!!

Loads of blood and broken teeth and torn to shreds peeps. GORE-TASTIC!!

But... it will make you sad because the superheroes are dead and that's just not cool! And Wolverine... I mean Logan refuses to pop his claws after everyone fell and args... it's enough to want to smack him and say "WAKE UP!!"

That's where Hawkeye comes in. And wo
James
Jan 19, 2012 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel that I ought to mention at this point that, while I am all for the collecting of comic book story arcs into easy-to-read-in-one-sitting trade paperbacks, some of these things are just too damned expensive. This book, for instance, has a list price of thirty dollars. Thirty dollars! Is this thing worth thirty dollars?! I'm going to say no. (I didn't pay thirty, incidentally--I found it used and paid half. But I had to think about spending fifteen dollars on it.)

It's a quick fun read, and i
Dimitris
Aug 29, 2015 Dimitris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Millar at his best!I would just like to learn the fate of more superheroes
Jamil
probably my least favorite comic since Hulk, Vol. 1 Red Hulk. Everytime I think Jeph Loeb is the absolute worst writer in comics, Mark Millar shows up to demonstrate that, at the very least, it's a contest.
Rohit Raut
Sep 03, 2010 Rohit Raut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The most visceral, bloody, violent and grim Wolverine story ever. No exceptions. Mark Millar (of Kick-Ass fame) writes this brilliant tale of a post apocalyptic scenario set 50 years after comic book canon.

All superheroes have been defeated, the world is ruled by the supervillians and Wolverine is an old man - a sad shadow of his former self. He has long since given up his ways of violence, but events will occur that may force him to rethink this decision.

With cameos from loads of famous comic-
Jim
I thought this was an interesting take on some of the superheroes in the Marvel Universe we all know and love.

50 years?!? Yeah I guess I understand Wolverine's motivation. Interesting what they did with Hulk. And I thought the story of what happened 50 years ago was handled well; and was pretty fascinating. Overall, it was a decent book. I hope the series is as good.
Sean Kennedy
Parallel universe stories are usually a mixed bag because they just tend to revel in how nasty they can be - so here we have Cannibal Bruce Banner! Mutant incestuous Hulk children! Multiple superhero deaths! Rape! Mutilation! Death of children! Junkie kitchen sinks!

That is not to say there aren't any good things in here - it's nice to see Hawkeye get his due and some respect. Not that it lasts long. Nothing does here.
Tiara
4.5 only because it left me with a couple of questions, but I know they couldn't quite possibly answer all of them. It did go the way I was thinking it would go, just a little differently than I thought. But I was close enough. Excellent. Full review here, slight spoilers.
Gavin
Apr 22, 2016 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Skeet skeet. Best Wolverine Story of the last Decade? Might be...(read thru 2 in April 2016)
TwitBookClub: September 2015 - 'Wolverine: Old Man Logan' by Mark Millar 2 5 Aug 16, 2015 09:53PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #103 Old Man Logan by Mark Millar 1 1 Aug 14, 2015 10:16PM
The Sword and Laser: Wolverine in the MCU? 24 105 Mar 18, 2015 10:28AM
  • Siege
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous
  • X-Men: Schism
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk
  • Thunderbolts, Vol. 1: Faith in Monsters (Hardcover)
  • The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath
  • X-Force, Vol. 1: Angels And Demons
  • X-Men: Mutant Genesis
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream
  • Uncanny X-Force: The Dark Angel Saga, Book 1 (Uncanny X-Force, #3)
  • Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

Old Man Logan (3 books)
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan: Warzones!
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan Vol. 2: Bordertown