Start by marking “Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product” as Want to Read:
Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product

Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product

Is The Origin of Feces a Darwinian concern? Perhaps not, but it is the title to the preface of this tongue-in-cheek and unexpectedly revealing exploration of human behavior by the webmaster behind the popular PoopReport.com.

This book is not a history of poop, but a study of today. Its goal is to understand how poop affects us, how we view it, and why; to appreciate its imp
Published May 1st 2007 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about Poop Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poop Culture

SeriouslyJerome
Who gave me this book?

Not just another poop humor book. In fact not a humor book at all. The first few chapters might produce giggles, but this really is about poop in our culture as the title suggests.

It was very informative, & interesting for this poop fascinated person. Especially the chapter on poop in our current culture & the future possibilities - like foam flush toilets that use half as much water, or sewage systems that compost that poop. I didn't know you could compost human p
Mandy
Mar 01, 2011 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little more than disappointed with this book. I don't know if it's because I thought it would be the best book about poop ever or if it just wasn't original enough. Honestly, I had been exposed to most of the information in my other readings. So, maybe this book would be better for a poop newbie or someone looking for a quick overview. It wasn't until the chapters on art and media that I even learned anything new. However, I did learn some interesting wiping facts. Praeger does do a good ...more
Jenni
May 13, 2016 Jenni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is without doubt the shittiest book I've ever read! 200 pages of crap!! ;-)

Seriously though...awesome read, couldn't put it down. Laugh out loud hysterical while loaded (accidental pun) with informative, thought provoking, and interesting commentary on our, uhm...potty habits. I learned way more about...this subject...than I ever thought possible. And I may never look at a toilet quite the same way again!

Highly recommend for anyone with a sense of humor, a slightly twisted interest in "unme
Kathryn
Birthday gift from Anne and Jon. hey, they know their audience.

While I did enjoy the book, I found the last 1/3 to be repetitive... almost as if the author needed to really push to make an editors requirement of 200 pages. Still, informative at times (I never knew the mechanics of compost toilets...)and witty at others (e.g., the psychological profile of shameful versus shameless shitters). A decent read.
Bill
Nov 04, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to write anything about this book without devolving into poop puns, which may be a strong argument for Praeger's assertion that poop — the act and substance — is deeply symbolic in our culture.
I really enjoyed the history lessons, though thought some of the art analysis went on a bit long. But overall this was a fast and interesting read.

It's worth noting, or not, that I read this book over consecutive days entirely on the toilet.
Ryan Daly
Mar 19, 2009 Ryan Daly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly entertaining read .. Full of laugh-out-loud poop humor and a ton of history that you never knew you wanted to know .. From the origins of sanitation systems to poop references in pop culture. Poignant social commentary as well
Jordan
May 21, 2015 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I make it a point to read anything published by Feral House. And this has taken me down some strange paths. This book takes on an indelicate subject and handles it with aplomb. Just the right balance of science, humor, and philosophy.
Jeroen Berndsen
An often hilarious and sometimes insightfull documentation on the 'last taboo', poop. Not nearly as good as 'Kakafonie. Komrij's encyclopedie van de stront' and not nearly as scientific as Danny Lamarq's 'Het latrinaire gebeuren', but still a very good read for the interested person.
Robin
Jan 24, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clever, very educational, and very entertaining. If you can handle the topic, it's well worth the read.
Ania
Aug 15, 2010 Ania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and informative book. A serious take on the history of plumbing and poo, and the way we've dealt with it throughout history. Funny too, but not childishly so.
Ronna
Jan 15, 2015 Ronna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were interesting in terms of socio-cultural/economic stuff. Some parts were just...well, you can imagine.
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2008
Guy Montag "Bookfail.com"
Guy Montag "Bookfail.com" rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2009
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Winter Peterson
Winter Peterson rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Kaiyilla
Kaiyilla rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Medusagoddess
Medusagoddess rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2008
Spencer
Spencer rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Kate
Aug 08, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Surprisingly entertaining
Shannon
Shannon rated it did not like it
Aug 22, 2014
Rebecca Kent
Rebecca Kent rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2012
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2008
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2008
Grady
Grady rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Li Robinson
Li Robinson rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2009
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2011
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2010
gothfox
gothfox rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Monsters in America: Our Historical Obsession with the Hideous and the Haunting
  • The Death of Satan: How Americans Have Lost the Sense of Evil
  • Central America on a Shoestring
  • Tending the Wild: Native American Knowledge and the Management of California's Natural Resources
  • Moveable Feasts: From Ancient Rome to the 21st Century, the Incredible Journeys of the Food We Eat
  • Victorian Underworld
  • The Origin of Feces: What Excrement Tells Us about Evolution, Ecology, and a Sustainable Society
  • Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped
  • Layout Index
  • Captive Paradise: The Story of the United States and Hawaii
  • Never Shower in a Thunderstorm
  • The Story of Corn
  • Elixir: A History of Water and Humankind
  • Urban Tribes: Are Friends the New Family?
  • Boo: The Life of the World's Cutest Dog
  • A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization
  • Smile
  • A Garden of Marvels: How We Discovered that Flowers Have Sex, Leaves Eat Air, and Other Secrets of Plants