Start by marking “Death by Sudoku: A Sudoku Mystery” as Want to Read:
Death by Sudoku: A Sudoku Mystery

Death by Sudoku: A Sudoku Mystery (Sudoku Mystery #1)

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Maiden's Bay is a small, scenic town on the Oregon Coast where citizens get their number fix thanks to Liza Kelly-Sudoku Maven with the Oregon Daily. Her challenging puzzles sharpen the mind, and her deductive skills unravel even the most enigmatic clues. Liza enters a Sudoku tournament in which her old friend and competitor turns up dead. Now, she must think outside the b ...more
Published July 3rd 2007 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Death by Sudoku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Sudoku

BJ Rose
I like to work sudoku puzzles - altho I admit to extreme frustration at times and go to the electronic game that lets you know if your guess is incorrect (Yeh! it's cheating!!). This book has clues and sample sudoku puzzles (with a solution key at the end), so if I get really frustrated I can sneak-a-peek for a little help, and the clues were actually very helpful in seeing all the logical ways of solving the puzzles.

Liza, the heroine of the story, creates sudoku puzzles & writes a column f
Michelle Randall
I love a good cozy mystery and something little to read, so I picked up this book at a local discount store as we were headed to the airport for a trip to New York, figuring this would be good lite reading for the plane.

Death by Sudoku is billed as the first book in a brand new series, and after reading the book, I am not sure how the series can or will continue, but as the first book it was pretty good.

We met, Lisa, who has been a publicist in Hollywood for a number of years, but after the rece
Kari Anderson
Liza Kelly left Hollywood to get a break. She went from a publicist to the stars to Liza K, Sudoku specialist for an Oregon newspaper. Only when she returns to LA for a Sudoku tournament does her life get back in the fast lane. One of her good friends is killed after he tells her he thinks there are clues to some crazy news stories embedded in the Sudoku puzzles. Now, she takes the puzzle by the horns and is forced to help once it gets personal. Along with her editor, her estranged husband and h ...more
rabbitprincess
Jun 01, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: very few people
Shelves: cadeau, 2009
* 1/2

One and a half stars, but I'll round up to two. For all its faults, this book was mercifully quick to get through, so it does not receive my undying loathing. However, it is not completely off the hook for the following reasons.

- The whole premise of the series is rather ludicrous. I can understand a Hollywood publicist as a protagonist, but not a Hollywood publicist / Sudoku columnist. Heck, I can't even understand the Sudoku columnist part of it, period. Sure there may be different tips a
Tracy
Okay, I have a new definition of fluff reading now.

I had read some other Goodread reviews, so I decided to skim over the Sudoku-solving exposition. Other than that, it was a perfectly fine fluffy mystery.

If the writer isn't familiar with the Pacific Northwest, she didn't make any gaffes. I expect that Californians (especially those in the south) will chafe at the overuse of "La-La Land" for L.A.

The Big City Po-leece were written in less than one dimension - in fact, the first scenes involving t
Helen
One thing I will say about this book is its definite statement that I am definitely not numerically swift. The oh so easy sudoku puzzle is still sitting unfinished and I couldn't really fathom the logic of the techniques they explained. The story was interesting but the competition was a little strange, definitely not something to draw viewers. Do they really have competitions like that? Probably, since every interest has its own type of public performance. I think you really have to enjoy sudok ...more
Kadi
Nice simple mystery. The sudoku concept gives it a different twist.
Wendy
An enjoyable first book in a the cozy Sudoku Mystery series. The main character is likable as are the supporting characters. I enjoyed the coded Sudoku puzzles part of the mystery and overall it was a quick fun read. I like the two men in Liza's life. Not sure which I would choose for her but look forward to getting to know them both a little more. Love Mrs. H, Liza's matchmaking next door neighbor. Looking forward to reading #2 to see where the author goes with the story.
It was a fairly decent book, if not a little predictable. One thing that really bothered me about the book was how much attention was given to solving the sudoku puzzles in the beginning, even though it had nothing to do with the plot. Is it too much to ask that people just write "I solved the sudoku; it was much to easy and I was finished in minutes"? I don't want to read "I wrote a six in the second box in the first square".
But, all in all, the book was fairly enjoyable.
Chi Dubinski
Liza Kelly is a public relations woman in Los Angeles, and trying to leave the pressure of the job behind by becoming a sudoku columnist for an Oregon newspaper. She attends a Sudoku tournament and runs into an old friend, Derrick Robbins, an actor, who is found dead outside his home. Derrick tipped her off to a conspiracy sending messages via Sukoku puzzles.
Lightweight mystery that includes puzzles and lots on tips on how to solve them.
Melissa
Book #28 read in 2008

This was the first in a series that I picked up only because of the sudoku puzzles. In the end, I didn't even try the puzzles because I was so annoyed with the book. The characters were unlikable and uninteresting, and the plot was disjointed. I will not pick up another one from this series. Maybe someone else will have better luck with the book - I will look to pass this on.

Sent to a bookcrosser
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
A good first cozy by author Kaye Morgan about a former LA publicist that becomes involved with the sudoku world and is carrying on a "secret" life that most of LA doesn't know about.

Of course someone dies and she gets involved in solving the crime. It was a good book, would probably give it 3.5 stars. I would be interested in checking out a 2nd in this series.
Kellie
I don't play sudoku, so a lot of the puzzle part of the story was lost on me, but this was still fairly entertaining and I'll probably read more of the series. However, I still had two questions unanswered: a.) Did Hank ever get his electronic solver back?, and b.) Was Abner Galt the one behind the Prospect's sudoku puzzles with the hidden messages?
Erin Newell
This is a great quick read. I pretty much read it in two sittings at the pool. I like a decent mystery, and that was just this. Throw in some some codes and conspiracy, murder and kidnapping, it's all in here, but not in a cheesey overdone way. I have three others in this series, and look foward to reading them. Great read for traveling or the beach/pool.
Terri Borkgren
I enjoyed this book! Kaye Morgan includes Sudoku puzzles and hints to play the game. A great read.
Brett
Terrible. Uninspired writing that never caught a rhythm. The plot is uninteresting with few (if any) twists. There is some "Inside Suduko" writing in contrast to Shelley Freydont's suduko mystery series which is better written but could be about anything. I can't believe this if a several book series.
Stacy
Well, the best thing that can be said about this book is that I finished it. It wasn't horrible but it didn't really add much to my life either. It was perfect for reading on an airplane though as it was a light, somewhat silly mystery with enjoyable enough characters.
Maria (Ri)
This was a cute cozy mystery about sudoku puzzles. It jumped around a bit and the character development was a little flat. It read like someone's first novel. Hopefully as the series progresses some of these kinks will be worked out. I really enjoyed the sudoku tips.
Linda
This book is not for the sudoku faint of heart. There are a lot of strategies mentioned for solving the puzzles interwoven in with the mystery and if you don't do sudoku I think you wouldn't like it. At times I thought there was too much sudoku techno talk.
Julia
Eh. There's a lot of interesting tips and dialogue about sudoku, but the mystery itself was often sidelined by all the puzzle-solving. There's plenty of "cozy" mysteries out there about all sorts of jobs/hobbies, so I may move on to another series next time.
Marci
I really wanted to like this book, but ultimately I didn't. The neat sudoku trips & tips were cool, however, the mystery was lame, the main character unbelievable. Which is unfortunate because I love sudoku and cozy mysteries.
Tracy
The murder mystery was interesting, but the author lacked depth in her words. Read like a College Freshman wrote it for Writing Fiction class. I'm now reading the next one in the Sudoku Mystery Series.
Lorna Schmalz
Need something "light" to read and got exactly that. I don't think I'll be rushing out to read the rest of the series. The plot was transparent and lacked character.
Jan
This was a pretty quick easy mystery. The main character finds clues in the Sudoku puzzles published in the newspapers. I will try the next couple in the series.
Cindy
Ok mystery, sudoku aspect was kind of fun, but the loooong arm of coincidence played too big a role in the solution of the crime...
Indah Threez Lestari
25th - 2011

Pertama baca judulnya, kirain cerita tentang orang yang mati karena kebanyakan main sudoku... ;P
Julie
I liked the story, and I loved doing the puzzles in the book - searching for the next book in the series...
Wraith Tate
I think my only real problem with this piece was I thought the pacing could have used a little polishing.
Grey853
To put it bluntly, this was boring. The main character wasn't likeable and the mystery lame.
Andrea
I liked this book. I thought the characters were interesting and the storyline was interesting.
  • Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
  • Feint Of Art (An Art Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Snake in the Glass (A Glassblowing Mystery, #3)
  • Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4)
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • Three Complete Novels: A is for Alibi / B is for Burglar / C is for Corpse
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • Killer in Crinolines
  • Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
Murder By Numbers (Sudoku Mystery, #2) Killer Sudoku Sinister Sudoku (Sudoku Mystery, #3) Ghost Sudoku Celebrity Sudoku