Circle of Honor (Scottish Crown Series, #1)

Circle of Honor (Scottish Crown #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A riveting story of betrayal and love on the highlands of medieval Scotland - beautifully packaged with French flaps and deckled edges. It is 14th century Scotland and Gwenyth Comyn has a choice to make. She can accuse her sworn enemy, Adam Mackintosh, of assaulting her-though that crime was committed by another-or she can tell the truth and remain in captivity to her actu...more
Published September 3rd 2002 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Circle of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle of Honor

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversA Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist
Christian Historical Romance Favorites
136th out of 409 books — 328 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books I Can't Get Enough Of
123rd out of 527 books — 180 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeannette Garcia
Okay, so... I'm moving to Scotland to get a laird as a husband. It's decided. I literally could not put this book down. It was just too good. Adam is by far my favorite hero in all the novels I've read. Such an honorable gentleman. Gosh, I'm so cheesy. I can't help it though. I really just don't know what else to say. GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
Anne Hamilton
Adam is loyal to Robert the Bruce. Gwenyth is promised in marriage to Edward Balliol, Bruce's fiercest enemy.

But life takes a dark turn when Adam is wounded, almost to death, during an ambush and when Gwenyth is forced to flee her home after her father's murder at the hands of the Bruce. Separated from Daron, her cousin and protector, she pretends to be a serving girl. But she's landed in the clutches of the lecherous Leod, an ambitious and violent highlander who will stop at nothing to become...more
anna
The only thing that this series is any good as are Romance novels as Historical fiction they fail on almost every account, and I would strongly advise readers against ‘learning’ their history from them, or basing their knowledge of the period upon them.

The storylines seemed formulaic, repetitive and predictable- hurting man/woman with issues falls for good looking girl/guy (usually also with issues) who they can’t stand at first, and end up falling hopelessly in love as is the change in politic...more
Johnette
Oooh, this was a wonderful series. I am Scotish/Irish and of course love to read stories in these areas and about redheads (since I am also a redhead. I actually picked this series up because of their covers and the awesome edges of the pages. And I am glad I did.
It is the stpry of a family from Scotland and is filled
with castles, positions, clans, farmers.....fighting..love and hate. They are wonderfully written..and I hate reading a review that tells you exactly what happens..so I won't do th...more
Brooke
I really enjoyed this whole series of books (4 books in all. Its been awhile since I read them and I haven't had a chance to reread them because someone borrowed them from me. I do remember that each book looks at a different character and their role in Scotland's fight for independence. The characters do overlap some so you do get to hear about them in the next books too which is nice. I have been disappointed that the author hasn't really put out any other books since these because these were...more
April
4 1/2 STARS
This story drew me in and held me captive, reluctant to take my eyes off of it for a moment and eager to return to it's pages as quickly as I could yesterday. It was such a good read that I was able to read it in what would amount to a very long afternoon read. Filled with secrets, tragedy, intrigue, hope, forgiveness, and lessons on the healing power of love, I found it to be a moving and spellbinding read. With in it's pages were well developed characters and a plot full of the thin...more
Korri
A little "churchy" for a medieval story but not soo much that it ruined the story. Great fast read.
Ebookwormy
The outcome is rather predictable, but intricate plotting and a cast of interesting supporting characters render an enjoyable read. While readers of Bodie Thoene or Lynn Austin will find the spiritual content of this Christian romance fiction to be a bit light, the ideas and their impact upon hearts and events is included, though they seemed to lack the power of other writers.

Umberger brings to light a period of time - medieval Scotland - with a complicated and rich history. I thought the histor...more
Anna Hargett
Really a great read. This book had a rich development of characters, and it was so nice that the woman in the story was strong, fiesty and able to hold her ground, and didn't have mush for brains when her main squeeze was around. And she didn't have a predisposition to go into a ridiculous amount of uncontrollable sobbing at every turn. Great book! Will be reading the next one.
Rebekah Gyger
This was a pretty good book. I love Highland romances and found this at the used bookstore. Like the description says, the book has deckled edges which made me buy it then and there (Pages like that are so cool!).

There is very minimal description which I enjoyed because I was able to picture things my way. The only downside was that I had a hard time picturing a couple minor characters because they had no description but gender.

As far as a deep read, it was not. The villain really had no depth...more
Rebecca
This was a dry, and somewhat longwinded tale. I have to love the Scotland setting and our hero, but a bit too much drama and internal wishy-washy dialogue. Does contain a few vague accounts of rape, and one slightly more prominent.
Mikayla
well it was funny at times because their were a few words that were used about a hundred times each through the book... a little cheesy and very predictable. The religion was a little forced and so were the characters. I kept reading it though and it was an enjoyable story but maybe a little iffy how can I describe this? It was a typical love story but the characters were manic- depressive and they all had the same personality but they reacted differently depending on their situations and maturi...more
Kelly
Absolutely loved this book!! It sucked me in & didn't let go!
The book is "guaranteed a good read" with good reviews and does not fail in its promises!
My cousin introduced me to this book/ author & I am very grateful.
I am a sucker for a historical romance set in Scotland, so it's already got those going for it but the story flows so well that you just cannot put it down.
Bethany
My weakness for cheesy romance really hit me hard with this series... The fact that I love history and European countries made it even harder to resist loving this book. It was well-written, with an enjoyable plot. The historical fiction aspects of it were compelling. Plus, if you believe in true love, like I do, the book is incredibly inspiring. I can't help but love it.
Rachelle
I really liked this book it was a quick read and very good. Much of a love story, the struggles between two forced together and neither of them wants to admit that they are falling for the other. It takes place in Scotlad aroudn 1300 BC when Robert the Bruce was fighting to become king of Scotland.
there is a 2nd and 3rd book. I think I will read them too.
Karen
The story was good, but the continued fundamentalist Christian references were off putting to me. The characters were Catholic, and at that time in history all Catholic masses were in Latin. If the author had have set her story later in history when Scotland became more protestant, then the Gospel references would have wrung more true.
Karen
this book was very good. not only is it a Christian romance, making it a wonderful piece of literature already, but it is not one of those flighty romances that no one believes. the characters are real people who have feelings and do indeed help the reader grow. this is a very good book and everyone should give it a chance.
Anne
Aug 31, 2010 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, especially teens on up
An extremely enjoyable story about Scotland, complete with a wonderful love story, and a Christian outlook. I am looking forward to reading the other three books in the series. I liked the historical events included as part of the story. if it had been a bit longer, I probably would have given it a 5*****
Jeni Enjaian
Predictable, cliche, historically inaccurate, cheesy yet for some reason I was drawn to this book both times I read it. I guess it was the "guilty pleasure" aspect. I wouldn't buy/read any more by this author but this book survives the purge of summer 2012.
AshleyMagen
This was an amzing book about the battle a young woman goes thru as she is forced into a marriage after she is brutally raped. She has to find it within herself to find faith to trust in not only her new husband and his touch but God also.
Kristen Robison
I read this book a couple of years ago and just decided to re-read it. I have done a lot of researching on The Bruce and King Edward and so now I find this book much more enjoyable. This is a quick read.
Sheri Salatin
This is the second time I have read this book. The first time was sometime back in 2009, I think.
It's just as good as I remembered. :) I love stories set in Scotland. I'm such a romantic. heehee!
Heather
I would probably give this a 3.5 if there was such a rating. It is a historical fiction set in Scotland during the time of Robert the Bruce. It has lots of Christian undertones and a little romance.
Kari
I really liked this book. I am a huge fan of Scotland and it's history, so this book was right up my alley. The characters were well rounded and intersting. This is a great read. :)
Jane
Oct 04, 2008 Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jane by: Jessie
The really cool serrated edges books! Okay so I liked these books because of not only the covers and the cool non-straight edged pages, but also because the stories themselves were great.
Lynette Massey
How many times do you have to tell me what the speaker is thinking? Typical of Christian romance. Otherwise the details of the action was good. Will read the rest of the series.
Katrina
This series was and interesting history of Scotland's fight for freedom from England's rule. Some fictional characters and their quest for freedom and their faith in God.
Cathy
I enjoyed this book. It was quite well written and researched. I would argue a couple of finer points on highland dress, but really minor issues.
Sara
Not a bad read. Enjoyed the intense honor they felt to their clans. I learned a lot about Scottish history too.
Shelly
A romance novel set in 14th century Scotland. I will be reading more books from this series!
  • Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Higland #1)
  • Maire (Fires of Gleannmara, #1)
  • The Redemption (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #1)
  • The Duchess and the Dragon
  • In the Shadow of the Sun King (Darkness to Light, #1)
  • Daughter of Silk (The Silk House, #1)
  • Castles: Maidens Meet Their Knights
  • The Silver Sword (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #1)
  • Isle of Shadows
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
The Price of Freedom (Scottish Crown, #2) The Mark of Salvation (Scottish Crown, #3) The Promise of Peace (Scottish Crown, #4)