An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  17,437 ratings  ·  880 reviews
Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball—or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feel...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about An Offer From a Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Offer From a Gentleman

Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

An Offer From a Gentleman might be a Cinderella-like story, but it’s much more than just a fairytale remake. For me, this is the epitome of everything I love about romance and happily ever after.

There’s a charming, yet flawed hero, a sweet heroine with profound inner strength and resolve who overcomes all odds, powerful emotional conflict, realistic drama, lush sensuality, intense passion, and witty humor. Benedict and Sophie and the supporting cast are all...more
Eastofoz
Oct 10, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency romance lovers / Tammy
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! This is a fantastic read! Quinn’s best so far for me. She has an amazing way to draw you into the story from the first few pages and you’re smiling from the get-go right up to the end :) She even manages to take you on a sudden heart-breaking emotional roller coaster ride that really gives you the chills and makes you want to cry for the h/h as a couple. This contrasts so well with the rest of the light-hearted story making the situation all the more poignant.

Th...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Whenever reading a Julia Quinn novel, it's always an all nighter for me! Forget the family, forget dinner? The only thing that would get my eyes unglued from the pages, would be a life and death emergency.

An Offer from a Gentleman has characters that are full of spunk and fire. This was the perfect Cinderella story that is tried and true. Except in this Cinderella story she is able to keep her wits about herself and remain practical except when both our hero and Cinderella come in contact with...more
Rane
On one faithful night Benedict Bridgerton fell in love with a masked woman in silver at no less then at a masquerade ball. She took his breathe away, and stole his heart when the clock stuck midnight and she ran away never to been seen again by him. Even with two years passing he somehow always held out hope he could find her again and feel that strong emotion she ignited in him that night, but when she comes across a helpless maid in need of help, he can’t help but feel he knows her from somew...more
Erika
Stepback cover

"I can live with you hating me," he said to the closed door. "I just can't live without you"

The Duke and I gave us a sweet romance, The Viscount Who Loved Me gave us a hilarious one, and An Offer From a Gentleman gave us a magical one.

This third book of the series is about love at the first sight that strike you like a thunderbolt and haunt you for the rest of your life. It happens to Benedict Bridgerton when he sees the beauty in silver gown with radiant smile at the Bridgerton's...more
Tammy
An Offer From a Gentleman definitely takes its inspiration from Cinderella, but it is still a sweet story with lovable characters written in JQ's own witty style.

Sophie is sweet and spunky. Benedict is a hopeless romantic. Together they make a very charming couple. I loved that Benedict spent three years searching for Sophie after their initial meeting at the masquerade ball.

The confrontation between Benedict's mother, Violet Bridgerton, and Araminta (Sophie's wicked step-mother) when Violet c...more
Jasmin
Aug 03, 2010 Jasmin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to experience a flutter in her chest
UTTERLY ROMANTIC. An Offer from a Gentleman is a fairy tale retelling, but what makes it better than a fairy tale is that this fairy tale may have or can come true.

Once upon a time, there lived a girl named Sophie Becket, who is our Cinderella. She’s a bastard child by the earl of Penwood. She is neither recognized nor thrown out, but is known as the earl’s ward. But everyone can see that she’s a bastard, her eyes, hair and everything about her tells it out aloud, but nobody points that fact out...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I’ll be quite honest... I didn’t think much of Benedict before this book. Like many of the ton, I saw him as Number Two of the Bridgertons and now, I love him. He wasn’t mentioned often in the previous books, so I was looking forward to Colin’s book much more than Benedict’s.

Going into this book, I already knew that this book followed the Cinderella theme. A poor, young woman is fated with an evil stepmother and two equally annoying step-sisters. She gets one chance to live out her dreams and go...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...
Feb 24, 2010 UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Ever After, Cinderella and other similar fairytales.

My Review – Short and Sweet

Starting out with the delightful feel of the fairytales Ever After and Cinderella, Julia Quinn’s An Offer From A Gentleman quickly takes on a magical life of its own and becomes another ‘feel good’ installment of the Bridgerton series! The charm of Benedict and Sophie along with the chance to revisit the other Bridgertons has made this one my favorite of the series so far.
Sandra
Com um início bem clichê a soar a algo muito parecido com a história da Cinderela, Julia Quinn redime-se, dá a volta e faz-me acabar mais um livro dela com lágrimas nos olhos e sorriso nos lábios.
Como é que ela consegue? Não sei.
Simplesmente sei que é deste calibre que são feitos os grandes escritores. Aqueles mestres das palavras que fazem com que leitores se emocionem de tal maneira ao ponto de se surpreenderem.

Sophie é uma personagem forte e tão querida para mim que me fez ir às lágrimas bem...more
Sanaa
5 WONDERFULLY WHIMSICAL STARS!!!

I simply adored this Cinderella-inspired historical filled with sexy, sweet moments!
It was also quite touching. The heroine Sophie Beckett was such a treat, and her personality and insecurities shined bright in a most endearing way!

At 20-years old…Sophie gave into a dream. One night she stole away to a masquerade ball and met her soul mate, Benedict Bridgerton, London’s most eligible bachelor. But he never knew her identity. As much as the debonair Benedict looke...more
Michelle
I love this "Cinderella" story. It may start off like Cinderella but this story is very unique. I love how Benedict was in love with the Mystery Girl and would never marry until he found her. How romantic! He's such a dreamer! And Sophie is so sweet. I wanted her to just blurt it out "I am the mystery girl"... Another great job by Quinn.. I totally fell in love with both characters.

Sophie is a bastard daughter of the Earl. After his death Sophie becomes the maid to her ugly stepmother and stepsi...more
Tempo de Ler
Do prólogo ao epílogo: Excepcional!
*…E tendo em conta que é o reavivamento de um clássico, a coisa poderia ter corrido terrivelmente mal…! *

Amor e Enganos, o terceiro livro da série Bridgerton, constitui uma leitura fantástica para qualquer altura graças à intercalação de cenas arrebatadoramente românticas com situações divertidas e insólitas; e graças ao talento inato de Julia Quinn para a escrita e para desenvolvimento de enredo, mantendo um compasso constante ao longo de todo o do livro e pr...more
Cata
Quem me conhece sabe que odeio a história da Cinderela. A menina pobre que vai ao baile, conhece o príncipe, apaixonam-se à primeira vista e ficam juntos por causa de um sapato [um mísero sapato!] não me convence minimamente!

Mas o que é que a Cinderela tem a ver com este livro? Tudo! Amor e Enganos é muito semelhante à história da Cinderela... só que infinitamente melhor! Só Julia Quinn teve a capacidade de pegar em algo que odeio com cada fibra do meu ser e transformá-la em algo que eu amo.

Há a...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
"In her heart she longed for this man, dreamed of a life that could never be."

The first book I read in the Bridgerton series and remains my favorite today :) An enchanting, touching re-telling of the Cinderella story. Sigh...

Benedict meets the woman of his dreams at a masquarade ball and spends years looking for her. One night Benedict rescues a young housemaid and thinks he may have found love a second time in his life.
Susan (susayq ~)
what a wonderful retelling of Cinderella! While Benedict was a little on the arrogant side, I did like him. And I adored Sophie. This was a little angstier than the previous books in the series, and wasn't as funny, it was still a great read :)
Patrícia
No seu último ano em Harvard Julia não sabia o que vou fazer da sua vida, por isso, sentou-se com uma caixa grande de Ben&Jerry’s e um bom livro enquanto pensava nas suas hipóteses de carreira e enquanto pensava que Medicina era uma boa escolha o seu olhar passou pelo romance junto à caixa de gelado e achou que já que ia demorar a ser médica então também podia escrever um livro daquele género. Dois anos depois quando finalmente iria ingressar a Escola de Medicina o seu agente ligou-lhe. Duas...more
Carla *Jen7waters*
A Cinderella inspired Bridgerton book! OMG!!! *dances around the room* I don’t think I have to explain the plot, right? Cinderella inspired says it all. Yes?
Oh, I loved it! Loved it! The couple is so cute, and the heroine Sophie is one of my favorites of the series so far. Actually it is not fair for me to say so because all the previous heroines are great, and in my heart they’re all favorites, it’s just that Sophie had such a harsh life compared to them, and still she can be funny and brave a...more
Exina
Absolutely flawless! It is one of my favorites of the series, and also is on the shelf of my all-time favorites!

It is a Cinderella story with charming characters, perfect plot and character delineation, twists and turns, adorable and moving romantic scenes, sweet and funny moments.

Although it is based on a fairy tale, the emotions and relationships are represented in a realistic way.

I love Benedict, he is my favorite Bridgerton! He is persevering, sincere, and very romantic. I love his humor, hi...more
Barbara M.
4 Stars...

"The perfect "Cinderella" story" comparison is thrown around so very often (and yours truly has been guilty of that on a few occasions) but let me tell you..."An Offer From A Gentlemen" is the Cinderella story of historical romances. Complete with the evil stepmother, evil stepsisters, the slippers (but in this case gloves), the ladies maid who's transformed for one night of living her dream, and last but not least the unbelievably handsome Prince Charming.

The only negative was that B...more
LiteraryLover
This whole book seemed like a lovely version of the Cinderella fairytale. Sometimes I think fairytale remakes can be a big hit or miss, but so far Julia Quinn's Bridgertons series have all been big hits with me and this was no different. I felt like there wasn't as much humor in this book as there was in the first two, but otherwise it was just as good.
Isis FG
Rating: 4.5 / 5

It's easy to see why this is such a popular series among historical romance readers. I've enjoyed all three books of the series that I've read so far. I really liked this one and had fun reading it.

Series Note:
You may be able to read this on it's own, but I think you'd get more out of it reading the series in order.

Summary:
Born from the affair between a maid and a nobleman, Sophie Beckett had no true place in life. When her mother died, Sophie was taken in by her father, though no...more
Arttemizza
A escrita? Para quem conhece a restantes obras da autora, nada diferente temos neste livro em relação à escrita, continua a ser simples, humorística e cativante, permitindo uma leitura agradável e rápida.

O enredo? Aqui está uma novidade para mim, a autora desta vez presenteou-nos com uma nova faceta ao inspirar-se no famoso conto de fadas “A Cinderela”, no principio temos realmente parecenças bastante elevadas com o clássico, mas isso dura pouco tempo e somos de novo confrontados com um novo rum...more
Didi
This was an incredibly engaging and sweet book! I loved the Cinderella story line and often felt it had major similarities to Ever After, the updated and modified film version of Cinderella from over 12 years ago with Drew Barrymore.

I felt really bad for Sophie and all the abuse she had to endure under the care of Araminta. That woman was the evil step mother indeed. I did however admire Sophie for never losing herself or questioning her self-worth as an individual. She suffered tremendously bu...more
Leah
When I started An Offer From a Gentleman, one of my first thoughts was, "Oh! It's like Cinderella!" I liked that aspect, but I also liked that it clearly wasn't exactly like Cinderella. That wouldn't have been very sporting of Julia Quinn to copy Disney, now would it?

I, again, loved the plot and characters of this book. Honestly, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a heroine I disliked so far. I can never seem to get through a series without hating at least one heroine. Alas, I continue to love...more
Taryn at My Secret Romance
I am so impressed with this author! I was a little skeptical about this book to be honest even though I enjoyed the first two books in this series. I've never read a Cinderella type story before. Sure, I've seen the movie a million times and was Cinderella for Halloween for many many years but I've never had any interest in a Cinderella story.

Until now.

What a beautifully written romantic love story! How my heart ached for Sophie and Benedict. What a wretched woman her step mother was and those...more
rivka
12/6/11: Not only did my father enjoy this one, he got my mom, who never reads "trashy novels" to read it (and she grudgingly admitted liking it) too! Of course that means I had to re-read it. Took just as many tissues the second time.

9/27/10: My favorite Bridgertons (so far) AND my favorite Cinderella retelling ever. Hooray for a Cinderella story that actually deals with the but-how-can-the-prince-MARRY-a-maid in a semi-realistic (hey, it IS a romance novel) fashion.
Becky
(Bridgertons,#3) Benedict Bridgerton is the perfect prince charming! In this Cinderella story, Benedict is pining for the mystery girl, aka Sophie Beckett, he met at his mother’s masquerade ball. Sophie is the illegitimate child of the Earl of Penwood, forced to work as a maid for her stepmother Araminta. I love the tear-inducing heartfelt conversations between Benedict and his mother Violet. This story left me feeling warm and dreamy… loved it!
Krishna *wants to be a black wolf*
Finally, a Cinderella story I loved. I thought I would not encounter another Cinderella tale that gave some depth to the characters, that considered what it might be like to be Cinderella rather than just watch her, after Cinders (the visual novel). But...

I got one after all!

Our heroine Sophie, is absolutely adorable. I loved her strength, courage and snappy sense of humour, but most of all I liked that she didn't hate anyone. She managed to put forward her case without seeming whiny or martyred...more
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~

A slightly changed version of Cinderella. Well, the slight change being that the prince is not a prince but a Bridgerton which is better than the prince if you ask me, and Cinderella is the bastard child of an Earl and not as weak and goody as Cinderella herself which is another plus. I always hated how nice and forgiving Cinderella has been to her stepmother and sisters. Anyway, this was a much better version.

Benedict Bridgerton and Sophie Beckett meet at a masquarade where Benedict is...more
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • To Pleasure a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #2)
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Kiss Me, Annabel (Essex Sisters, #2)
  • The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an...more
More about Julia Quinn...
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)

“It suddenly made sense. Only twice in his life had he felt this inexplicable, almost mystical attraction to a woman. He’d thought it remarkable, to have found two, when in his heart he’d always believed there was only one perfect woman out there for him.

His heart had been right. There was only one.”
126 likes
“In her heart she longed for this man, dreamed of a life that could never be.” 56 likes