Start by marking “Questions to All Your Answers: The Journey from Folk Religion to Examined Faith” as Want to Read:
Questions to All Your Answers: The Journey from Folk Religion to Examined Faith

Questions to All Your Answers: The Journey from Folk Religion to Examined Faith

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
'Jesus is the answer.''God has a perfect plan for your life.''All sins are equal.'Sayings like these may make catchy bumper stickers, but as deep, life-changing truths they fall short. They are the earmarks of 'folk religion'---a badly distorted pop-Christianity that thrives on cliches and slogans and resists reflection and examination. Such pat spiritual answers often con ...more
Published May 13th 2007 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Questions to All Your Answers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Questions to All Your Answers

Alex Hackney
Oct 08, 2014 Alex Hackney rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
I was definitely not impressed with this book. For starters, there were a handful of things I saw as problematic - which I will address in a bit. Secondly, this is a simplistic book that is written at a very basic level. I would consider it being fit for high school aged kids.

Generally speaking, the reason that books like this one bother me so much is because I fear (a fear that is justified by what I have personally witnessed) that theologically immature Christians will take the ideas presente
Trevor
Jan 21, 2015 Trevor rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2008
The concern driving this book is that far too many contemporary evangelical Christians have succumbed to what sociologists of religion call "folk religion" - more specifically "folk Christianity." It's a badly distorted version of Christianity that thrives on cliches and slogans while resisting reflection and examination. This "folk Christianity" too often denigrates the life of the mind and especially critical thinking. It revolves around cute, comfortable, or trite sayings that are found churc ...more
Tom
Roger Olson is a theology professor at Truett Theological Seminary at Baylor University. In his book, Questions to All Your Answers he takes head on some of the most heard phrases uttered by christians. He breaks them apart and then thrusts questions back on the phrases.

Some of the better chapters in the book are called, "Jesus is the Answer - So What is the Question?", "The Bible Has All the Answers - So What About Cloning?", and "Money Isn't Bad, Only What We Do With it - So Why Did Jesus Say
Brook Warner
Apr 19, 2013 Brook Warner rated it really liked it
This is a great book for any "evangelical" Christian to read, most especially if they have grown up in the church.

The first chapter, which introduces Rogers method and the thesis for the entire book, is outstanding. His critiques and "questions" of various pat answers and empty cliches are great.

My only critique would be that (probably due to limitations of the medium, rather than any intent or lack on Rogers part) is that some of his questions are simplistic, and sometimes he strays into provi
Chet Duke
Jun 13, 2016 Chet Duke rated it really liked it
This books is enjoyable and deeply useful. Olson critiques the numerous cliches of "folk religion/Christianity" that infiltrate evangelical churches.
Melissa
Feb 22, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: faith-christian
My husband and I are using this book for our Sunday school class. The main theme is for us
(as christians) to get back to the basics of what church life/christain life is. The church as a whole should be striving to give the understanding that "the unexamined faith is not worth believing". Church is not so much about things we see or hear about being Christians, such as Pam Anderson's "Jesus is my homeboy T-shirt" or that you should be praying for money with Joel Olsten.
No matter what your reli
Christopher Partin
Dec 28, 2014 Christopher Partin rated it it was ok
simplistic not well thought-out or argued.
Stan
Jul 25, 2011 Stan rated it really liked it
Not light reading! The chapters mainly stand alone, but should be read in order, because by time you get to the end you learn to recognise his pattern of ""development"". Though I think reading the conclusion first would have taken some of the roughness off the earlier chapters.
It is an outsanding perspective on how to add some depth and perspective to commonly uttered christian sayings that many treat as unexamined truths. It also gives you a tool or method for future study."
Peter
Aug 08, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Too often we can skip over the hard parts of being a Christian. We can have what he calls folk religion. In this book he looks at easy answers which do not hold up,under scrutiny to what he calls examined faith..
Amelia Charles
Mar 20, 2015 Amelia Charles rated it it was amazing
One of the most thought provoking books about theology I have picked up. Moves readers to critically think about many cliche "folk religion" sayings used in today's society.
Grant
Oct 15, 2010 Grant rated it liked it
Shelves: sort-of-read
I never finished this, but Olson's approach is excellent. You pretty easily get the point though after about 4 chapters at most.
Marius Lombaard
Jun 11, 2013 Marius Lombaard rated it really liked it
good book. full review will appear on my upcoming site, theology book reviews (www.theologybookreviews.net)
Trevor Lloyd
Clever idea and title. Weak in parts but overall really enjoyable.
Mark Waldrop
Mark Waldrop marked it as to-read
Corinna Hogan
Corinna Hogan rated it it was amazing
Clayton
Clayton marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it liked it
Todd Wilhelm
Todd Wilhelm marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Joanna
Joanna is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
Danny Price
Danny Price rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Josh Mclaughlin
Josh Mclaughlin rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Sean Hansen
Sean Hansen rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Norton
Norton added it
Feb 06, 2016
Dustin Ragland
Dustin Ragland marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Brauncl63
Brauncl63 marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Tatemad
Tatemad rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Roger E. Olson (PhD, Rice University) is professor of theology at George W. Truett Theological Seminary, Baylor University. He is a prolific author whose volumes include The Story of Christian Theology and The Mosaic of Christian Belief. He is also coauthor of 20th-Century Theology.
More about Roger E. Olson...