Start by marking “The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reptile Room  (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  88,133 ratings  ·  2,415 reviews
Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent children. They are charming, and resourceful, and have pleasant facial features. Unfortunately, they are exceptionally unlucky.

In the first two books alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, a lumpy bed, a deadly serpent, a larg...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Reptile Room, please sign up.

Elliot
A brief exercise in brief criticism:

1) The pretext behind this series, and the reason it has gathered such a following among older readers, consists of its being one of the few children's novels that unabashedly declares that not all stories have pleasant endings. I see myself, far in the future, encouraging my children to read these short novels not only because they are fun (because there I take delight in their repetition, their silly self-aware prose) but because one ought to understand that...more
Tfitoby
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think...more
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Kareena
This book starts off quite pleasantly but contains a spoiler. It says that Uncle Monty dies which is quite unfortnate because he is a pleasant fellow. This book is as good as the first one and is definitely wworth the time it takes to read.
Marts  (Thinker)
...And thus we continue the Baudelaire children's misadventures, along with the likes of Mr. Poe, we are introduced to Uncle Monty who unfortunately will spend but a short time with us, and then here comes Count Olaf again...
Nilo
Dear Mr. Snicket:
Toads are not reptiles, they're amphibians.
Georgia Barker
" It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The original Jack Sparrow.
The Baudelaires are now living with their uncle Dr Montgomery Montgomery, a reptile enthusiast and are having the time of there lives, till Count Olaf decides he still wants them pesky kids so he can have the fortune. Fun ensues.

All the the series of unfort...more
Aprille
Eerie and creepy. I found this one a bit harder to read. Coz it really went overboard with the vocabulary and explanations. It also uses phrases repetitively. I would say, that the first book is better.
Carmen
Dec 06, 2013 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Shelves: children, fiction
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:
p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.
p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.
p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.
p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea...more
Erin Ashley
The thing I liked most about this story was the oppurtunity for happiness. It is terrible that it never comes to fruition because of Count Olaf but having the idea floating in the air made it an enjoyable read before it all came crashing down in death and destruction. Lemony Snicket has a real gift for all things that are to be learnt. He is wise and really does make me want to be able to meet him. The Reptile Room stands as one of my favourites out of the series to date, definately giving this...more
Mark Lawrence
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol...more
Synesthesia
Took me less than an hour to reread this. The adults are so frustratingly stupid in this book.

Also, many of these reptiles do not exist. And reptiles cannot blink. Or cry. But it was nice that it wasn't an OMG SNAKES ARE SCARY BOOK

Snakes are cute. Also, do not mix poisonous with venomous. There is a difference. Yes, even children's books must make sense to me.
Whitney
i really like this whole series! and for those that are like me, and you want to know what the story is about, here is the basic summary of the entire series...

It is about three kids and their parents die in a fire. They were given to a man named Count Olaf, and he is a really bad man. the reason he wants them is because in their parent's will, they left the children a HUGE fortune. He wants there money very badly. They only way he can get the money is to keep the kids until the oldest one is of...more
Robert
"Too much of everything is just enough."
Barlow & Weir

On the heels of completing A Bad Beginning earlier today, I finished The Reptile Room this afternoon. The Reptile Room is the second book in A Series of Unfortunate Events.

The Bauderlaire children continue their misfortune in this exciting tale that has them combating Count Olaf once again.

Despite never having a happy ending, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny begin this book with happy times. After escaping Count Olaf's plot to marry Violet and tak...more
Camille ღ
I do not know why I'm still reading this but I am, so just bear with me.
I know this will lead me nowhere near happy endings but I still think it's good.
Okay, so the hedges and the house looks crazy. Since this book is all about misfortunes and bad luck, I assumed that Dr. Montgomery will be worst than Count Olaf but I was wrong. He was really cool and interesting. Dr. Montgomery or as the Boudelaire children calls him, Uncle Monty physical description reminds me of Peter Pettigrew or Padfoot of...more
Katherine
This is the second book in the series of unfortunate events. I enjoyed this book and can not make up my mind whether i preferred the first or second more, this one probably pips it for me. I love Montgomery as a character and despite hating snakes liked the concept of the reptile room. I suppose whats interesting about this book and what I like is that the Orphans have a brief period of enjoyment where they are not being stalked by the mysterious count Olaf. I dislike the fact that the premises...more
Luca
Series of Unfortunate Events: The Reptile Room
Lemony Snicket
3.5/5 Stars

Text Review

The sequel to The Bad Beginning, where the 3 children are yet again, finding another home for them to be looked after, after the last... turned out to be a psycho maniac that wanted to all their money.
The children travel to their new guardian who is a herpetologist. Could this guardian be as bad as the last and slowly plan the children's death or could he have a kind heart and be the first sight of sunshine that t...more
Kirsten
I wanted to LOVE these books, but I only got to book 4 (though I read the last one too), and found them annoyingly predictable by then.

I love that their tone is maudlin and they are so creative in so many ways. I liked the three children: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. My favorite parts are the author asides - where he has to explain a word or some universal life aspect.

Unfortunately that aspect will never be captured in a film version - as with Harry Potter - the humor is observational, in the aut...more
Zelie
Kisah dimulai dengan perjalanan Violet, Klaus dan SunnyBaudelaire (sayadiam-diam bersyukur, yang ribet cuma nama belakang mereka) bersama dengan Mr. Poe, pengelola keuangan keluarga mereka yang bertugas menjaminBaudelaire bersaudara tinggal bersama dengan relasi terdekat mereka yang dapat diandalkan.

Kebakaran rumah telah menyebabkan mereka kehilangan bukan hanya rumah, melainkan sekaligus orangtua mereka. Tidak ada sisa. Mereka harus tinggal dengan kerabat mereka sampai Violet, yang paling tua,...more
Alyssa Miller
“The Reptile Room” is the second book in “A Series of Unfortunate Events”. This is an outstanding book, just like the first, and written by Lemony Snicket. The Baudelaire children, once part of Count Olaf’s care, are now getting moved into Uncle Monty’s care. Uncle Monty is a herpetologist, and plans on taking the children to Peru. Uncle Money gets a new assistant, Stephano, which is Count Olaf in disguise. When the children find Uncle Monty dead, they have to prove that Stephen is actually Coun...more
MiLi
Esta es la segunda entrega de una saga de trece libros que cuenta la desafortunada historia de tres hermanos que quedan huérfanos de la noche a la mañana. Con mucho ingenio y humor negro, el autor relata la vida de los hermanos mientras buscan un lugar donde asentarse y vivir felices. Es una historia esencialmente trágica, pero narrada con tanto dinamismo e ingenio que no parece.

The reptile room me gustó mucho más que el primero, The Bad Beginning, principalmente por el ritmo que toma el autor y...more
bianca mora
this book is very mysterious just like the rest of its series. Just reading about violet, klaus , and sunny and going through there adventures is the best thing about the book for me.
Lizzi Crystal
Evil men, dark satire, it's like the Sweeney Todd for children! Which is very entertaining, but begs the question of if there should *be* a Sweeney Todd for children...
Carrie
We are really enjoying these books to listen to while we are driving around listening to as a family. Waiting on the 3rd one to come in.
Julie
Love these books, but I think the biggest hindrance to my enjoying them is the homicidal rage I experience at Mr. Poe's obliviousness and any moment adults shush the children & refuse to listen to them/their warnings. Which, of course, happens a lot so it is really distressing. It's like the childlike helplessness which was plied to such unsettling psychological effect in Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane but played for laughs -- but it's still just so painful. Which is the poin...more
Rafael payano
very creepy but interesting
Ellie
I love this whole series. I read it alongside my daughter. We even liked the film, although it was somewhat disappointing. Clever and witty and easily enjoyed by both children and parents with a wicked sense of humor and a good feeling for the nastiness of child readers while not crossing the boundaries of what truly terrifies them (cf. my review of George Orwell's Animal Farm!).

Unlike Oprah, I do not think children are just like grown-ups only smaller. They are qualitatively (not just quantitat...more
Laney
I loved the Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid. The plots were so readable, and even at a young age, I could tell that there was more to these novels than what appeared on the surface. When I read this book today, I found that to be true. As a child, I lacked the vocabulary and know-how to pick up on Snicket's (or Handler's) humor. The Reptile Room, although full of tragedy (as Snicket points out every couple of pages), was so entertaining for me. The subtle humor that I did not catch onto wh...more
Vaghik97
After being taken away from their horrible guardian Count Olaf, (who tried to steal their fortune), the three Baudelaire children are taken by Mr. Poe to their new guardian, Dr. Montgomery Montgomery, who lives on Lousy Lane, which smells like horseradish. According to Mr. Poe, Dr. Montgomery is the Baudelaire's "late father's cousin's wife's brother."

Dr. Montgomery, or "Uncle Monty" as he prefers to be called, is a short, chubby man with a round red face. He invites the children in for coconut...more
Teresa B
This "woe-filled" collection of thirteen books about the tribulations of three unusually talented orphans will keep adults entertained as well as children. When I first saw the series I thought, "That looks too depressing," but soon I discovered the hilarity in overabundant alliteration, contemptible villains, and idiotic bystanders.

As the series progresses and the mysteries deepen, the children's characters grow and develop in surprising ways as togehter they face obstacles and a growing numbe...more
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Vox (Edge Chronicles, #6)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Vacation Under the Volcano (Magic Tree House, #13)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Beauty Shop Guy (Junie B. Jones, #11)
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • Revolting Rhymes
  • Have Wheels, Will Travel (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #4)
  • Martians Don't Take Temperatures (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #18)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1050 likes