Start by marking “Jar Jar Binks Must Die... and Other Observations about Science Fiction Movies” as Want to Read:
Jar Jar Binks Must Die... and Other Observations about Science Fiction Movies

Jar Jar Binks Must Die... and Other Observations about Science Fiction Movies

"[Kimmel's] writing is intelligent and entertaining.... his knowledge of SF movies is encyclopedic.... This is the guy you want sitting next to you when Channel 45 has a weekend 'sci-fi' movie marathon.... For anyone who likes SF movies, this volume is worth the price of admission." --Don Sakers, "The Reference Library," in "Analog Science Fiction and Fact"

"Kimmel displays
Published March 15th 2011 by Fantastic Books

Be the first to ask a question about Jar Jar Binks Must Die... and Other Observations about Science Fiction Movies

Lis Carey
Aug 31, 2011 Lis Carey rated it it was amazing
First off, in the interest of full disclosure, I need to tell you that Dan and I have been friends for years, and I received a free copy of this book from him. There's no pretending I'm completely objective, here. On the other hand, Dan and I have been arguing vigorously about science fiction, fantasy, and movies for all those years, too.

This is a collection of criticism and commentary about science fiction movies that Dan has written over his years as a movie critic. He's added some updating, n
Kris
Apr 26, 2012 Kris rated it really liked it
A collection of short, pithy essays on various science fiction movies. Most were made before I was born, but there are a few newer films included and I have seen enough of the older films (or are familiar with them) to know what he was talking about. I didn't agree with all of his opinions (and I will fight him on the issue of whether Batman or Bruce Wayne is the mask, and I have the comics to back me up) but his opinions are still well thought out and he has a high level of media literacy to ba ...more
Stephen
Jul 05, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
Nice collection of criticism and analysis. Very easy to read but the observations are well thought out and presented fairly.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1950794.html[return][return][return]this is a collection of essays about sf cinema, mostly published before in fanzines and on the now sadly defunct Internet Review of Science Fiction. Several of the early pieces are a bit peevish, but most of them brim with enthusiasm and certainly gave me a few thoughts for films which I haven't seen but might enjoy. (The gaps in my cinematic knowledge, both of sf in particular and of classics in general, are pretty huge.) Inevita ...more
Denis
May 31, 2013 Denis rated it liked it
Had a hard time getting into it, and had put it aside for a while, but once I picked it up again, I was pushed right through.

I am pleased to hear that there is someone else in the world that is not an E.T. fan - his review of it matches my thoughts from the theater (but you'll have to read the book to hear his thoughts).

David
Jan 22, 2011 David rated it really liked it
While not hardcore academic media criticism, Kimmel's essays on various science fiction films from the 30s through today are entertaining (and occasionally thought-provoking) peeks at how the science fiction of a given era reveals much about the social and psychological zeitgeist of that time. A good beach-read that rewards the avid scifi fan's obsessions. :)
Michael B Tager
Jun 09, 2016 Michael B Tager rated it really liked it
Aside from some repetitive overlap (I think he talks about Metropolis in every essay), this was a fantastic book. Insightful, amusing, well researched and thoughtful. I liked that he dissed E.T. and Spielberg and questioned the general taste of the public. It's nice to hear new ideas.
Jonathan Crowe
Jun 06, 2012 Jonathan Crowe rated it liked it
Shelves: film
Entertaining and readable collection of essays about SF films, most of which published previously. Note that the title essay appears only as the penultimate chapter, nine-tenths of the way in; it's the only thing about Star Wars in the book. Hugo nominee (related work).
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Jerome
Jerome rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
DC
DC rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
William
William rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
Norman Cook
Norman Cook rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Alessio
Alessio rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Rosemarie Brizak
Rosemarie Brizak rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2014
Ann Crimmins
Ann Crimmins rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Michael Ventrella
Michael Ventrella rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Joe Karpierz
Joe Karpierz rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Jeannette Quirk
Jeannette Quirk rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Lonnie
Lonnie rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Steve Karpf
Steve Karpf rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Eva Whitley
Eva Whitley rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2012
anthony gambarony
anthony gambarony rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Roland Drake
Roland Drake rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2012
Petergrant
Petergrant rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2012
Alexandra Hall
Alexandra Hall rated it really liked it
May 14, 2012
Joe Karpierz
Joe Karpierz rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Daniel M. Kimmel is past president of the Boston Society of Film Critics and founding co-chair of the Boston Online Film Critics Association. His reviews appeared in the Worcester Telegram and Gazette and can now be found at NorthShoreMovies.net. He is also in demand as a speaker for various groups and writes on classic SF films for Space and Time. From 2014-2015 he was editor of The Jewish Advoc ...more
More about Daniel M. Kimmel...