Start by marking “Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work” as Want to Read:
Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work

Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,752 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
At the heart of John C. Maxwell's brilliant and inspiring book is a simple premise: To do well in life, we must first think well. But can we actually learn new mental habits? Thinking for a Change answers that with a resounding "yes" -- and shows how changing your thinking can indeed change your life. Drawing on the words and deeds of many of the world's greatest leaders a ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by FaithWords (first published January 1st 2003)

Aronkai
Skill 6 – Feel the energy of p
Chad Warner
Jun 05, 2016 Chad Warner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Kelly Warner
This was more motivational than actionable. It's full of good reminders, but I didn't create any to-dos (as I usually do for actionable non-fiction). By the end of the book, I was asking myself, "Am I living the life I've been called to?"

To be fair, I do a lot of reading and listening about mindset. In addition, I was in a community leadership development program last year, went through a "boot camp" for web agency owners earlier this year, and am currently in a mastermind for web agency owners.
photogrl2020
May 25, 2013 photogrl2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwdb-book-list
Gotta be at least my 2nd-3rd time reading this book, and it's still good. Definitely gets you thinking! So yes, it does exactly what the title says! Lol. Worth the read-all John Maxwell's books are good and easy reads. Simple to understand, always have little outlines for application/further thought. Highly recommended author. Everyone could learn something from him. Or lots of things. He even speaks at our organization once a yr and we love having him! (the love goes both ways, btw
Ravi Kumar Dandapani
Leslie Shreve
Who should read this book? Anyone who wants to reach new heights of success that they 19ve never reached before and is willing to think in new and different ways to get there.

Here 19s what you can learn from this book (and these are only 5 out of the 11 types of thinking):

1. Big Picture Thinking: seeing the world beyond your own needs and how that leads to great ideas

2. Focused Thinking: removing mental clutter and distraction to realize your full potential

3. Creative Thinking: thinking outside
Edward Arrington
This is a book that needs to be read and absorbed. John C. Maxwell shares some excellent information about the importance of thinking continuously. Many of us act and then think (o maybe skip thinking altogether). He teaches that we need to think things through before acting and offers great explanations and advice on various types of thinking. His lesson is that we don't all think the same way so we need to learn the methods that works best for us and use them rather than jumping from one metho ...more
Bruceschneider21
Very good book. All people should read this, but especially young people in the working world that want to know what to do to get ahead. Many lessons in this book with a great reflection and questions at the end of each chapter. Real life stories to make the points.
Gordon Diver
Feb 03, 2015 Gordon Diver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for ways to develop your critical thinking and abilities to adapt to an ever changing workplace and indeed world, this is an essential read.
Jeremy
Aug 02, 2007 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all humans
Shelves: life
My favorite Maxwell book. Great for expanding your thinking on...well...thinking.
Bianda
Aug 10, 2013 Bianda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change your thinking, change your life. I think that really sums it up.
Charmin
Jul 24, 2016 Charmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
2. 95% of achieving is knowing what you want and paying the price to get it.

3. THINKING: Unsuccessful people focused and thinking on survival. Average people focus their thinking on maintenance. Successful people focus there getting on progress.

4. Many educators would have us believe that good grade lead to a better life and that more formal education you have the more successful you'll be. Yet education often can't deliver on such promises.

5. Creative thinking – adds value to eve
Roger
This book will change your life for the better. Maxwell has challenged me to alter my approach to living and it has unsettled me in the positive sort of way. Once I accepted the reality that I was not utilizing my thinking abilities in the most effective manner and got over myself by letting go of the two weeks of self-pitying funk this realization put me through, I have never felt more progressive in my life. My days are more purposeful now. I highly suggest this as a must-read for anyone. Chee ...more
Leslie ellis
Mar 01, 2008 Leslie ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-- the power of influence and smart thinking.

This is a new not so new way of directing thought progression. For me, it is a 'go to' when faced with business verses humanity or reversed. It's heavily sprinkled with quotes from influential authors and leaders. Quotes like "The uncreative mind can spot wrong answers, but it takes a creative mind to spot wrong questions-- Anthony Jay." one of my faves.

I apply this book personally and professionally. These tools conceptually provide answers to 'what
C.
Dec 30, 2012 C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a helpful book in that it provides many insights and stories into how the way we think affects what we do, but this is also one of the first books for which I write a critical review. This is not a criticism of the man or the content, but it is, I think, a criticism of the "American Way" and the results that come from it.

I had similar reactions to reading other books of a similar genre, Steven Covey's Seven Habits and Gordon MacDonalds, Ordering Your Private World. These are all fine peo
Loy Machedo
May 07, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Thinking for a Change by John C. Maxwell.

I looked at this script with pessimism as I assumed this was another book white-washed with old recycled ideas. However, it didn’t turn out to be so. John Maxwell brought forth his ideas with sincerity and honesty – yes, there were a few old ideas but the manner in which he presented those ideas and the method he used to make his readers understand his concepts, made this book a worthwhile investment.

Maxwell divides the most i
Kelli Koehler
May 06, 2014 Kelli Koehler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
“Your life today is a result of your thinking yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be determined by what you think today.”

I strongly believe that you are as good as your thoughts, and this is a whole book on that very notion. I've re-read the first half of this book several times because I think the lessons there are so powerful no matter where you are in life.
Jolene Church
Apr 30, 2015 Jolene Church rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Maxwell consistently delivers high value. I cannot tell you how many ideas he spawned as I read. I became a better thinker just by reading this book. I cannot tell you how many pages are dogeared and highlighted. Full of so many wonderful, enlightening quotes. A very thorough book on critical thinking and productive thought.
Steph
Feb 08, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I listened to the audiobook of this one, right after reading "How Successful People Think."

If you need the abridged version of the book, read "How..." - if you want a slightly meatier version - because I compared "How..." to a glorified powerpoint in written form - read or listen to the book. It was worth my time.
Ron Mcintyre
Excellent book for someone who is willing to change

We did this in a mastermind group and it stimulated a lot of discussion. Recommended for all leaders. The key is to enjoy the time together.
Ayodeji Majekodunmi
One of the best books I have read in a while. Though I am not completely sold on the style, the content makes this one a winner.

Thinking for a Change concisely presents the "Thinking Skills" required for successful living. It also draws richly on experiences and stories to buttress the importance of skilled thinking.

I find this book practical, readable and relevant for daily activities and special project tasks. The take-homes from this book are numerous, but if I must summarize them, I would h
Tihomir
I found the book incredible useful, especially the chapter on reflecting thinking. It is easy to read and contains a lot of valuable lessons in order to think for a change. Highly recommended!
Dave
Feb 07, 2016 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best leadership book I have read in the last couple of months. It definitely had some good information, but most of it could be found in other, more riveting leadership books.
Terri Fleming
Jan 16, 2015 Terri Fleming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read at the beginning of a new year. Sometimes oversimplified in my mind. It seems so simple to hear him, but so difficult to accomplish. I think I will read this many times!
Rana
May 26, 2016 Rana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing I recommend this book for every person want to change, struggle to change, which is change your away of thinking to be successful.
Jerry Wall
Think good checklist. Good quotes
Mark Twain I never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Ed Snyder
Feb 28, 2015 Ed Snyder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It was a good refresher course on how we think and our thinking set our course.
Emmanuel Ayeni
This is a great resource on thinking and planning for every leader, business executive or any creative mind!