Start by marking “Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work” as Want to Read:
Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work

Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,345 ratings  ·  89 reviews
At the heart of John C. Maxwell's brilliant and inspiring book is a simple premise: To do well in life, we must first think well. But can we actually learn new mental habits? Thinking for a Change answers that with a resounding "yes" -- and shows how changing your thinking can indeed change your life. Drawing on the words and deeds of many of the world's greatest leaders a ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by FaithWords (first published 2003)

Miranda Diaz
Maxwell does a great job with this book. An easy, and sensible read, I could easily quote half the book. I especially enjoyed the chapters on focused and creative thinking.

A couple exerpts I liked,and that resonated with me...

Focus-

"Wherever you are...be there."

"Insulate yourself from distractions. I've mastered the art of making myself unavailable when necesary to go to my thinkiing place."

"99% of everything in life, I don't need to know about. I try to focus on the 1% that gives the highest r
Aronkai
Skill 5 – Release the power of strategic thinking
Skill 6 – Feel the energy of p
Ravi Kumar Dandapani
photogrl2020
Gotta be at least my 2nd-3rd time reading this book, and it's still good. Definitely gets you thinking! So yes, it does exactly what the title says! Lol. Worth the read-all John Maxwell's books are good and easy reads. Simple to understand, always have little outlines for application/further thought. Highly recommended author. Everyone could learn something from him. Or lots of things. He even speaks at our organization once a yr and we love having him! (the love goes both ways, btw
Bruceschneider21
Very good book. All people should read this, but especially young people in the working world that want to know what to do to get ahead. Many lessons in this book with a great reflection and questions at the end of each chapter. Real life stories to make the points.
Jeremy
Aug 02, 2007 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all humans
Shelves: life
My favorite Maxwell book. Great for expanding your thinking on...well...thinking.
Bianda
Change your thinking, change your life. I think that really sums it up.
Leslie ellis
-- the power of influence and smart thinking.

This is a new not so new way of directing thought progression. For me, it is a 'go to' when faced with business verses humanity or reversed. It's heavily sprinkled with quotes from influential authors and leaders. Quotes like "The uncreative mind can spot wrong answers, but it takes a creative mind to spot wrong questions-- Anthony Jay." one of my faves.

I apply this book personally and professionally. These tools conceptually provide answers to 'what
C.
This is a helpful book in that it provides many insights and stories into how the way we think affects what we do, but this is also one of the first books for which I write a critical review. This is not a criticism of the man or the content, but it is, I think, a criticism of the "American Way" and the results that come from it.

I had similar reactions to reading other books of a similar genre, Steven Covey's Seven Habits and Gordon MacDonalds, Ordering Your Private World. These are all fine peo
Loy Machedo

Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Thinking for a Change by John C. Maxwell.

I looked at this script with pessimism as I assumed this was another book white-washed with old recycled ideas. However, it didn’t turn out to be so. John Maxwell brought forth his ideas with sincerity and honesty – yes, there were a few old ideas but the manner in which he presented those ideas and the method he used to make his readers understand his concepts, made this book a worthwhile investment.

Maxwell divides the most i
Kelli Koehler
“Your life today is a result of your thinking yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be determined by what you think today.”

I strongly believe that you are as good as your thoughts, and this is a whole book on that very notion. I've re-read the first half of this book several times because I think the lessons there are so powerful no matter where you are in life.
Ron Mcintyre
Excellent book for someone who is willing to change

We did this in a mastermind group and it stimulated a lot of discussion. Recommended for all leaders. The key is to enjoy the time together.
Ayodeji Majekodunmi
One of the best books I have read in a while. Though I am not completely sold on the style, the content makes this one a winner.

Thinking for a Change concisely presents the "Thinking Skills" required for successful living. It also draws richly on experiences and stories to buttress the importance of skilled thinking.

I find this book practical, readable and relevant for daily activities and special project tasks. The take-homes from this book are numerous, but if I must summarize them, I would h
Tihomir
I found the book incredible useful, especially the chapter on reflecting thinking. It is easy to read and contains a lot of valuable lessons in order to think for a change. Highly recommended!
Terri Fleming
Good read at the beginning of a new year. Sometimes oversimplified in my mind. It seems so simple to hear him, but so difficult to accomplish. I think I will read this many times!
Ed Snyder
Great book. It was a good refresher course on how we think and our thinking set our course.
Marie
A great resource for creative types looking for insight and inspiration.
Kemal Aydin
The value of a good idea is in using it :)
Justin
This book talks about the different mindsets that you should have and the ones that you shouldn't have to succeed in life.It talks about the power of good thinking, which means thinking possitively all the time and thinking outside the box. It teaches you how to not be happy with the minimum and strive for the best. It talks about multiple peoples ecounters with changing their thinking proscess. This is a very motivational book.

This self-help book taught me not to be okay with the minimum and to
Olivia
Lumayan bagus. Tp ada bbrp yang sulit dimengerti, mungkin karena terjemahannya. Buku ini berisi bagaimana cara agar bisa berpikir dengan cara yg lebih efektif.
Pam L
Leadership teaching and how to change your thinking in order to make personal changes that move you towards success. John Maxwell is a great writer and even better speaker! Great book.
Jeff Mitchell
This was my first John Maxwell book and I was not impressed. It may be my built-in prejudice against the so called self-help genre of books. The advice offered was not very insightful or inspiring. Basically, felt he was stating the obvious. I also could not help to think he was a bit egocentric. In the end I felt like by buying this book I was conned out of my money by one of those quick talking get rich (smart) quick talking salesman. Oh well...something to THINK about.
Cristobal
This is a book that gets you to do just what the title says. It includes a detailed explanation of the different types of thinking out there and how each one is important to good thinking. I liked how it challenges you and would recommend it to anyone interested in improving their thinking. The only reason why I don't give it five stars is that at times the pastor and religious mentions distracted me and the book would be, in my opinion, more approachable without these.
Jamia
Jul 26, 2007 Jamia rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: corporate types and those who want a new framework for thinking... that has its limitations.
I didn't love the book which I thought was really lacking in terms of my needs for a social justice framework and addressing systems of inequality...I also hated his idea that only unsuccessful people make decisions motivated by survival. Obviously a high-income straight white male would say that because he hasn't been forced to struggle in a system formed to oppress him... Obviously survival wouldn't occur to those this society deifies...
Rebecca
great book. Like most of his books. Some geared more to organizational rather than personal leadership.
Adam Hinckley
So, I had to laugh when one of my coworkers, who I consider extremely intellectual, was given this book by our EVP about 6 years ago. She was slightly offended by the gift given the title, but the principles in this book are wonderful. A lot of the book seems like common sense, but I did pick up a weak spot or two in my own preparation and thinking that I will pay closer attention to thanks to John Maxwell.
Matt
What a fabulous book. Whether you just are curious or you are in an organization where change is inevitable in order to sustain, this is one for you! The 11 ways and concepts outlined in this book are sure to get you and your team ready for anything!
Thoi
This book was just a shelve book until recently rediscovered it. This was a Great Read, it has helped me changed the way I think about things. I found it very helpful and useful in my daily life...I mean our mind is full of potential, we just need to excerscise and broaden our thinking to the next level. I like this book so much that I'm going to buy next book from the same author, John Maxwell.
Meg
It started out well - and I suppose its a good reminder of what to keep in mind to improve yourself. But it was very repetitious with each step being almost exactly the same as the step before with just a slight change in perspective.
Gordon Diver
If you're looking for ways to develop your critical thinking and abilities to adapt to an ever changing workplace and indeed world, this is an essential read.
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People
  • Life is Tremendous
  • A Better Way to Live
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • OPM: Other People's Money: How to Attract Other People's Money for Your Investments -- The Ultimate Leverage
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Create Your Own Future: How to Master the 12 Critical Factors of Unlimited Success
  • Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization

“Dont ever be impressed with goal setting; be impressed with goal getting. Reaching new goals and moving to a higher level of performance always requires change, and change feels awkward. But take comfort in the knowledge that if a change doesn't feel uncomfortable, then it's propably not really a change.” 44 likes
“Ideas have a short shelf life. You must act on them before the expiration date.” 5 likes