Start by marking “Emotional Calendar” as Want to Read:
Emotional Calendar

Emotional Calendar

A leading Harvard psychiatrist reveals how our emotional lives are profoundly shaped by the seasons, and how to recognize our own seasonal patterns and milestones

In two decades of psychiatry practice, John R. Sharp has worked with many people who experienced the same emotional distresses at specific times of the year—a young woman who became depressed before Thanksgiving

Published January 4th 2011 by Holt, Henry & Company, Inc. (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Calendar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Calendar

According to John R Sharpour emotional calender is overlaid over the one we hang on the wall.After reading his genial, briskly written,thoughtful book, I agree that this idea is not simply a no brainer,but a crucial and oft overlooked aspect of our mental health.

"To understand your emotional calender you probably have to start thinking differently about your life," he begins with a challenge.He is an American psychiatrist after all. What gives his words weight are the findings of the multi-disci
Maria (Ri)
This was disappointing. The author seems interested in repeating himself with dull and pretty basic information rather than adding real value and insight into the world. There also didn't seem to be any resolution for his patients. They are able to identify that a certain time of year is painful, yet he reminds them that it will be painful every year. How about working on resolving it, rather than learning to cope through it? I listened to the audio version as I painted my closet today. I would ...more
Nov 16, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book arrived in my house and I thought I was being made fun of a little, but I read it and it was remarkably comforting. As a person who grew up in one very extreme climate (one which always felt right to me) and who now lives in a completely different, also rather extreme climate, I often feel off-kilter in weather-related ways when those around me do not.

I am regularly mocked for this off-kilterness both in person and on social media. There is some expectation, apparently, that if you li
Dec 01, 2014 Cara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I don't know exactly what I was looking for in this book, but I know I wanted something a little deeper than "some people get depressed in the winter because it's dark, some people get depressed on their birthday because they're getting older, some people get depressed on Valentine's day because they're lonely". I'm not a Harvard MD like the author, so I don't know if there's a medical term for DUH.

The title explains it well. Most of the information was not new but he did a credible job of presenting his ideas and how he has treated persons with seasonal problems.
Feb 16, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: NPR-On Point
This was such a disappointment. After hearing Dr. Sharp on NPR's "On Point" radio show, I got a deal on a brand new copy. Oy, I should have waited for the reviews. We all have "emotional hotspots" when it comes to a time in the year that is tender for you. For me, luckily, most are happy, my birthday coincides with the first bloom after winter, and Thanksgiving and Christmas are always happy times in my past and present and don't have any ill will toward them. On the other hand, I approach every ...more
Colin Bendell
Sharp's thesis is that our mood and behavior are substantially affected by our own personal emotional calendar. Our emotional calendar is culmination of events, biology, nature (sun, season, time), festivals, and other experiences with friends and family. Understanding our own personal patterns will help us better deal with those influences on our emotional health, mood and behavior.

Sharp builds his argument using numerous case studies and examples. While interesting, the content quickly becomes
Nov 20, 2011 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. He talks about considering the month-to-month calendar, the seasonal calendar (of where-ever you live), and your own emotional calendar, especially paying attention to when your own "hotspots" (like Xmas for me!@#) overlap with other "rough weather/stressful events" to really agitate you.

I would agree with this reviewer's comments though:

"Unfortunately, he only quickly addresses the 'so what can I do about it' subject with a few ambiguous responses ('it depends! it's different for
Mar 23, 2011 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Saw this on a blog and had to get it. It's been loaded into the kindle app and I've read the first few pages.

Eta: I've now finished, and I'm still not sure of my reaction. On the one hand, it's nice to see all of the reasons for having a crappy winter all recognized by a psychiatrist, however, I thought he said the same thing in other words too many times.

This could have been an amazing book. As it is now, it's merely a good book. Annotated and indexed, but without a lot of solid meat. Aah well.
Mar 08, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I liked how he used case studies to show our emotional "hotspots." It wasn't until the last few chapter that he actually had suggestions to make it better. Most of his examples were on some kind of medication for depression, bi-polar or SAD. The best point he made for me is to acknowledge your "bad spell" is approaching and try to find something happy to even out your mood/depression.
Mar 19, 2011 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book might be more interesting than it was. I hope Mr. Sharp is a better therapist than he is a writer. I got as far as the woman who gets depressed in summer because it's hot and humid. There was also a young woman who got sad at Christmas because it reminded her of a bad breakup. Not only were the case histories dull, but Sharp never made it clear how he was helping these folks. Perhaps this came later in the book, but life is too short for me to wait around to find out.
Sue Hedin
May 02, 2013 Sue Hedin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A discussion of the emotional, seasonal, and cultural milestones that impact our health and moods with guidance on how to break stifling patterns to achieve balance throughout the year. Much of the information is in the mainstream, but there were several insightful observations and useful tips. The book serves as a reminder to be attentive to the connection between moods, seasons, and our personal history.
Sep 15, 2011 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-11
I enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and was not perhaps full of new ideas, but the ideas were presented in a good way. I did find the task of looking through each month and how I feel about each month to be very useful. I did discover why certain months are very stressful for me, while other months I bask in its days. I think it was a fun read and would recommend it if someone has a particular time of year that they dread. This book might provide some insight.
Nov 25, 2011 Traci rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fix-me, library
In the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I quit reading this book about half way through. From what I did manage to read, I learned two things: 1. Examining your own seasonal emotional triggers can help create a smoother transition into the seasons that are difficult for you (duh). 2. Reading this book, however, will not help you at all.
Sep 11, 2011 Meredith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I have ever not finished a book, but this was one was just too painful and boring to finish. While the idea that our moods can be affected by the seasons seemed like an interesting read it just was not.
Oct 21, 2010 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found this at work. Loved the first 2 chapters then fell asleep reading it on the subway. Left it on my seat and happily watched it whoosh away!
Feb 22, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
accessible insights into the effects of nature - seasons, sun, darkness, time - and man made cycles - holidays, birthdays - on our mental well being
May 18, 2011 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting, but not as helpful as I thought it would be. I thought I might get some tips on how to manage through the winters I despise so. :-)
Sep 26, 2016 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating! An insightful look at how to recognize your own emotional triggers whether they are tripped by weather patterns, a cultural calendar, or by your own experiences.
Amanda Giffi
Amanda Giffi rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Andrius rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2013
Martinp rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2015
Atticus Lanigan
Atticus Lanigan rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Annie rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2015
Tina Panik
Tina Panik rated it did not like it
Nov 09, 2014
Ella Germein
Ella Germein rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Aug 04, 2011 Barb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book would be more interesting than it was...I was disappointed.
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2012
Dpaddon rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2013