Emotional Calendar

Emotional Calendar

2.59 of 5 stars 2.59  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  20 reviews

A leading Harvard psychiatrist reveals how our emotional lives are profoundly shaped by the seasons, and how to recognize our own seasonal patterns and milestones

In two decades of psychiatry practice, John R. Sharp has worked with many people who experienced the same emotional distresses at specific times of the year—a young woman who became depressed before Thanksgiving,

Published January 4th 2011 by Holt, Henry & Company, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Calendar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Calendar

Magdelanye
According to John R Sharpour emotional calender is overlaid over the one we hang on the wall.After reading his genial, briskly written,thoughtful book, I agree that this idea is not simply a no brainer,but a crucial and oft overlooked aspect of our mental health.

"To understand your emotional calender you probably have to start thinking differently about your life," he begins with a challenge.He is an American psychiatrist after all. What gives his words weight are the findings of the multi-disci...more
Maria (Ri)
This was disappointing. The author seems interested in repeating himself with dull and pretty basic information rather than adding real value and insight into the world. There also didn't seem to be any resolution for his patients. They are able to identify that a certain time of year is painful, yet he reminds them that it will be painful every year. How about working on resolving it, rather than learning to cope through it? I listened to the audio version as I painted my closet today. I would...more
Chris
Feb 16, 2011 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: NPR-On Point
This was such a disappointment. After hearing Dr. Sharp on NPR's "On Point" radio show, I got a deal on a brand new copy. Oy, I should have waited for the reviews. We all have "emotional hotspots" when it comes to a time in the year that is tender for you. For me, luckily, most are happy, my birthday coincides with the first bloom after winter, and Thanksgiving and Christmas are always happy times in my past and present and don't have any ill will toward them. On the other hand, I approach every...more
Colin Bendell
Sharp's thesis is that our mood and behavior are substantially affected by our own personal emotional calendar. Our emotional calendar is culmination of events, biology, nature (sun, season, time), festivals, and other experiences with friends and family. Understanding our own personal patterns will help us better deal with those influences on our emotional health, mood and behavior.

Sharp builds his argument using numerous case studies and examples. While interesting, the content quickly becomes...more
Kim
This book arrived in my house and I thought I was being made fun of a little, but I read it and it was remarkably comforting. As a person who grew up in one very extreme climate (one which always felt right to me) and who now lives in a completely different, also rather extreme climate, I often feel off-kilter in weather-related ways when those around me do not.

I am regularly mocked for this off-kilterness both in person and on social media. There is some expectation, apparently, that if you li...more
Belcantomom
Saw this on a blog and had to get it. It's been loaded into the kindle app and I've read the first few pages.

Eta: I've now finished, and I'm still not sure of my reaction. On the one hand, it's nice to see all of the reasons for having a crappy winter all recognized by a psychiatrist, however, I thought he said the same thing in other words too many times.

This could have been an amazing book. As it is now, it's merely a good book. Annotated and indexed, but without a lot of solid meat. Aah well....more
Denise
Interesting. He talks about considering the month-to-month calendar, the seasonal calendar (of where-ever you live), and your own emotional calendar, especially paying attention to when your own "hotspots" (like Xmas for me!@#) overlap with other "rough weather/stressful events" to really agitate you.

I would agree with this reviewer's comments though:

"Unfortunately, he only quickly addresses the 'so what can I do about it' subject with a few ambiguous responses ('it depends! it's different for...more
Nikki
I thought this book might be more interesting than it was. I hope Mr. Sharp is a better therapist than he is a writer. I got as far as the woman who gets depressed in summer because it's hot and humid. There was also a young woman who got sad at Christmas because it reminded her of a bad breakup. Not only were the case histories dull, but Sharp never made it clear how he was helping these folks. Perhaps this came later in the book, but life is too short for me to wait around to find out.
Katie
I enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and was not perhaps full of new ideas, but the ideas were presented in a good way. I did find the task of looking through each month and how I feel about each month to be very useful. I did discover why certain months are very stressful for me, while other months I bask in its days. I think it was a fun read and would recommend it if someone has a particular time of year that they dread. This book might provide some insight.
Sue Hedin
A discussion of the emotional, seasonal, and cultural milestones that impact our health and moods with guidance on how to break stifling patterns to achieve balance throughout the year. Much of the information is in the mainstream, but there were several insightful observations and useful tips. The book serves as a reminder to be attentive to the connection between moods, seasons, and our personal history.
Diane
I enjoyed this book. I liked how he used case studies to show our emotional "hotspots." It wasn't until the last few chapter that he actually had suggestions to make it better. Most of his examples were on some kind of medication for depression, bi-polar or SAD. The best point he made for me is to acknowledge your "bad spell" is approaching and try to find something happy to even out your mood/depression.
Traci
In the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I quit reading this book about half way through. From what I did manage to read, I learned two things: 1. Examining your own seasonal emotional triggers can help create a smoother transition into the seasons that are difficult for you (duh). 2. Reading this book, however, will not help you at all.
Meredith
I'm not sure I have ever not finished a book, but this was one was just too painful and boring to finish. While the idea that our moods can be affected by the seasons seemed like an interesting read it just was not.
Donna
This was interesting, but not as helpful as I thought it would be. I thought I might get some tips on how to manage through the winters I despise so. :-)
Denise
Found this at work. Loved the first 2 chapters then fell asleep reading it on the subway. Left it on my seat and happily watched it whoosh away!
Linda
accessible insights into the effects of nature - seasons, sun, darkness, time - and man made cycles - holidays, birthdays - on our mental well being
Deborah
As usual for me, I enjoyed the case studies that were shared. I did not learn much new information.
Barb
I thought this book would be more interesting than it was...I was disappointed.
Becky Hirtzel
Good to read - maybe I can avoid my usual winter blahs this January, February, and March!
Bobbi Taniguchi
Yeah, I agree, now tell me more than 4 things I can do to make things better!
Kristen Lew
Kristen Lew marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jane Lippencott
Jane Lippencott marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Real Men Understand Their Wives Emotional Calendar (Library Edition): Understanding Seasonal Influences and Milestones to Become Happier, More Fulfilled, and in Control of Your Life Good Manufacturing Practice Philosophy and Applications The Emotional Calendar