Start by marking “His Wicked Ways” as Want to Read:
His Wicked Ways

His Wicked Ways (MacKay #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,351 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
From across the Scottish Highlands strides Cameron McKay, the last member of the once powerful Clan MacKay. Handsome, fearless, and determined, he is a man who catches the eye of many a woman.. yet he has but one goal--to find Meredith, last daughter of the Clan Munro..and force her to provide him with an heir. When Cameron MacKay kidnaps Meredith from the gentle confines ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about His Wicked Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Wicked Ways

Chryssa
When in doubt...always choose a Highlander book!

This book had all the right ingredients:
1. a hot Highlander!
2. a stubborn and possesive Highlander that has suffered the loss of his father and brothers from a rival clan.
3. a hot Highlander!
4. a redhaired, blue-eyed, kind-hearted beauty, daughter of the enemy chieftain, who has her own demons to vanquish.
5. a hot Highlander!
6. revenge subplot
7. a hot Highlander!
8. kidnapping of the innocent heroine.
9. a hot Highlander!
10. clansmen's hatred towards
Lynsey A
This was my first read by Samantha James and I enoyed the book very much. The story was well written and the dialogue was wonderful. There were several tender hearted scenes between the H/h and even at times when it was simply the heros POV or the heroines POV.

The story was a bit predicatable but it certainly didn't take away from the story at all. There were moments where I cried and laughed out loud. Meredith and Cameron had a great love story and I'm looking forward to reading Glenda's story.
Daniella
Nov 23, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok
This is a Highlander novel, and we have the usual Rival Clans theme. Meredith, our heroine, belonged to the Munro clan, while our hero (hah!), Cameron, came from clan McKay. The two clans were apparently at each others throats.

Gasp. Shocking. I certainly did not expect that from a Highlander story.
description

Anyway, so Cameron was like "I'mma kidnap you, Meredith, cuz yo daddy killed my daddy and my bros, 'n you have'ta pay for dem sins." So he proceeded to kidnap her, fake her death (he forced Meredith t
Fani
Cameron MacKay abducts Meredith, his enemy's only daughter, from the convent she stays in. He plans to take her back to his castle, leaving her father thinking her as dead, thus getting revenge for his family's deaths. He expects to hate Meredith, known as shy and timid, but during their journey back to his lands, which takes several days, he discovers her courage, her innocence, her kind heart and is swayed. When they arrive in his castle, he's not sure what to do with her any more. His people ...more
Zoe
Nov 23, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a typical highland romance, slightly above the average. I like Cameron and Meredith as characters and the relationship. I think Cameron's revenge idea was kind of dumb but hey, without the idea there is no book. Maybe I should take the period element into account, impregnating your enemy's daughter probably was fitting revenge for people in the medieval times. I could live with that in a fiction.

I think Cameron was actually nice to Meredith. He set out to hurt Mederith and her father but
Lover of Romance
When Cameron MacKay, his brothers, and his father are ambushed by what they think are the Munro Clan, Cameron vows vengence. Having losing his father and his brother, he is Laird of his clan now, and knows that he has to strike a blow to the one that deceived him and his brothers. So he plans on kidnapping the young beautiful daughter who is in the priory and has been for some time. When Meredith is attacked and having not knowing the culprit, she enters the priory, not knowing who to trust in h ...more
Pam
May 23, 2010 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pam by: Doralady
This was a great story and very well written. I enjoyed the struggle Cameron had not to show his affection and then love for Meredith. He was so upset with himself because how could he love her when her father killed his father and 6 brothers? He was so very gentle and kind to her even though he kidnapped her in the middle of the night and was so cold to her at first. The story has a few mysteries in it too. I was pretty sure who was doing the bad stuff at Cameron's castle. I wasn't sure who rea ...more
Wyrdness
I can't decide if I've read this one before somewhere or if it felt like that because it seems medieval Highland Lairds do nothing but steal each others daughters for vengeance.

I think I'd have enjoyed this more if the "heroine" hadn't spent so much time weeping and wailing about how weak and cowardly she was even though her actions and behaviour were anything but. I can't stand stories where people seem to almost revel in their status as victim (real or imagined). Also the "heroes" behaviour le
Kitty Unpretty
This book is overall okay, but definitely not great. There is a LOT of hackneyed stuff in this thing. I am not a big fan of the whole 'I will seduce his daughter for REVENGE' stuff, because I think it is a silly way to move the plot forward, so I am biased against. However, between the damsel in distress, the moving emotional speeches, the constant praying, and the fact that the female protagonist was overall just an enormous ninny, I do not think I would have liked it even if the plot devices h ...more
Lovetoread
I have read the romance, His Wicked Ways by Samantha James, now 3 times. First time in 2011, second time in 2012 and most recently November 14 2014. I just love the premise of this romance story.

Cameron McKay, the last member of the once powerful Clan MacKay, who watched his father and four brothers butchered buy a warring clan decides he wants revenge. Handsome, fearless, and determined, he is a man who catches the eye of many a woman.. yet he has but one goal--to find Meredith, last daughter
Holly
Nov 15, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
When Cameron MacKay kidnaps Meredith from the gentle confines of the priory where she has sought refuge, he discovers that he is powerless to resist her tender beauty and is captivated by her boldness in bargaining for her freedom. Although she is the precious daughter of his sworn enemy, Cameron finds himself tempted to abandon his quest to bend her to his will.

I really enjoyed this book. And cant wait to read the next installment His Wicked Promise.
Caron Pescatore
Oct 09, 2014 Caron Pescatore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mydearloverboy
May 28, 2012 Mydearloverboy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
surprised..it was a really great book...the characters had a depth to their emotions/actions. The ending however, where the mystery is solved, seems a bit rushed.

Overall, 5+stars
Cindy
Jul 18, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Medieval Scottish romance with sex. This was the book I remembered I loved! I kept buying SJ's books trying to find another as good.

Meredith & Cameron are a great couple. Both from opposing feuding clans. Meredith was raped when she was 16 by an unknown man in her father's keep. She leaves & spends 2 years at a convent.
Cameron witnessed his father & 6 brothers killed & was wounded himself & left for dead. Now he wants revenge.

This book hit me just right. I loved the H/h &a
Melisa
Setelah sekian lama, akhirnya saya berhasil mendapatkan cerita bagus lagi. Karakter, jalan cerita, dan chemistry-nya dapat.

Klan Mackay dan Munro sudah sejak lama bermusuhan. Pada suatu malam, ayah dan saudara-saudara Cameron Mackay dibantai oleh para Munro, menyisakan Cameron seorang yang dikira sudah mati padahal masih hidup. Berpikir bahwa yang membunuh ayah dan sauadara-saudaranya adalah Red Angus (Chieftain klan munro), Cameron mulai merencenakan pembalasan dendam dengan menculik putri semat
Rogetwhi
Jul 06, 2016 Rogetwhi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read
Readitnweep
Charlie Gray
Nov 25, 2013 Charlie Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highlanders
Really enjoyed this book, starts off as a girl in a priory kidnapped and used as a Pawn for chieftain MacKay's revenge. However the pair end up falling in love and he hates to admit it as she is the daughter of his sworn enemy Munro.

Things I like about this book:
Setting - Scotland, if you love romance novels set in the highlands this is good.
Time - set in 1200's.
Heroine - stubborn and puts up a fight.
Dialogue - the scottish dialogue carried on through out the story.

Things I didn't like:
In that
Romancefantasy Ebookmaven
Ok to be totally honest I haven't read this book in a long time but I remember it fondly. It had its moments but the book suffers from lazy writing. I remember very well making fun of the dialog because the characters repeat everything they say TWICE, TWICE.

The plot is silly and the dialog is bad and the characters are not very bright now that I think about it, but for some reason I read this book over and over, and in fact my copy fell apart lol.

I can't put this in the category of being so ba
Moriah B
3.5 rating

I really enjoyed this book. There were some moments that I thought fell a little flat but all in all it was a pretty decent book. It was a little repetitive with both Meredith and Cameron both never telling each other how they felt about each other but I still really enjoy Samantha James is writing.
P.
Jul 17, 2016 P. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 'kidnapped from the nunnery' tale. This one moves very slowly, and while a good enough read lacks any real tension despite the fact that the impetuses for the events are horrific. It is far far too talky and the hero and heroine don't come across as flesh and blood but just creatures on the written page.
The Bookshelf Wars
A little contrived, but nevertheless interesting story. Though it was fairly well executed for a romance novel, I will say that I prefer my heroines with more strength and spunk.
Dyantha Bogerd
Mar 25, 2015 Dyantha Bogerd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not decide which one would be more suitable for Cameron But I love the one I chose for Meredith
Cameron McKay

Or Cameron McKay I could not decide between the two of them.
y version of Meredith

Nicole
Aug 24, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in a few hours, while I wouldn't say it was the greatest there was something about it that I just couldn't put it down.
Mia
Oct 08, 2014 Mia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was really a good book, enjoyed it from start to finish. It was my first book by Samantha James and it won't be my last.
Nova
Apr 17, 2016 Nova rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
seru diawal membosankan ditengah sampai akhir
Julie
Oct 17, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved every minute of it
Antoinette Lewis
I enjoyed it
Mariah
May 29, 2014 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good story but sadly I don't have much to say about it...
Amber
This book contains an excessive amount of melodrama and tropes. It also has (view spoiler) that makes it kind of a borderline one for me. Considering how stereotypical the story was I actually enjoyed it. But it wasn't that great. I've enjoyed other stories by this author though, so don't judge her by one book.
  • How To Be A Scottish Mistress
  • The Scotsman
  • The Devil's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy, #2)
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Brave Heart
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • The Chieftain (Return of the Highlanders, #4)
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • The MacLean Groom (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #1)
  • The Highlander's Desire (Highlander Brothers, #2)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • His Enemy's Daughter
  • The Heir from Nowhere
  • The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)
  • Waltz with a Stranger
Growing up in Joliet, Illinois, Samantha James had many childhood aspirations--being a writer was never one of them. When she was ten, she was certain she was destined to be an astronomer. That soon changed (happened a lot during those pre-teen years!) when she decided archaeology was in her future. Detective work was her next goal, thanks to the Trixie Belden mysteries she was reading, and before ...more
More about Samantha James...

MacKay (2 books)
  • His Wicked Promise (MacKay, #2)

“I burn for you. Do you know what that is, lass? To feel a yearning that makes you burn both inside and
out?”