Start by marking “Windows of the Soul” as Want to Read:
Windows of the Soul

Windows of the Soul

This beautifully written book provides a fresh perspective for people who long for a richer experience with the presence of God and deeper meaning in everyday life.
Published January 4th 2011 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Windows of the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windows of the Soul

Kyle McManamy
Dec 16, 2011 Kyle McManamy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my fourth time through this book. It could be my sixth. I always open it with pleasure and close it with benefit. It's the book that I gift the most and one of the ones which, had I to choose just a few to read for life, I would select. I find myself hard-pressed to distinguish whether it just has a personal connection to me (because of the insights and enjoyable style) or if it's a truly wonderful book, but I lean towards the latter. I will never say, "I have now read this for ...more
Jeff
Feb 10, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ken Gire is one of my favorite writers, not just because he can turn a phrase with the best of them, but also because he has such a heart for a thriving relationship with God. In this book, Ken helps us learn to be alert for God's presence and messages in the people and situations we face, and in all we do. By following his lead, we'll be better able to see deeper meanings that are often clouded by what lies on the surface, and thereby grow in our ability to touch others (and be touched ourselve ...more
Jeff Abramovitz
Nov 03, 2016 Jeff Abramovitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Windows of the Soul is an incredibly powerful read!

My wife and I read Windows of the Soul at the recommendation of a friend. I didn't have a lot of expectations. But, as we progressed through the book, it became evident why this book has become one of my friends' favorites and why it is now one of ours. I suspect that one time won't be the only time we read it. Ken Gire is to writing as Van Gogh is to painting. Masterful!
John Bechtold
The author shared many good insights and more than most other books, I identified with this author as he shared his struggles with trying to begin a career as a writer.
He shows many ways to see God and our soul in the everyday activities and events surrounding our lives. This was a good book.
Patricia
Jul 19, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the format of the book. The author stresses that we experience God in all of life. Literature, art, music, nature etc., are all places to encounter the One whose we are. His writing flows easily and he ends each small chapter with a prayer for application of the former lesson. A nice devotional reading.
Olivia Elmes
Jun 12, 2016 Olivia Elmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to read this book many more times in my life! It's one of those reads, that just ties things together. It makes sense! It's creative and so well written, truly impacted the way I will read and write and sing, with a new attuned spirit towards seeking God! Sorge is an artistic and truthful writer.
Wade
Aug 24, 2007 Wade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
This is a great book that just feels very different from a lot of the Christian books I usually read, it just feels more poetic. It’s about just being intimate with God and connecting with Him deeply.
Lorraine Bilodeau
Read this years ago. I loved this book and refer back to it often! It looks at how God is in every part of our life experiences.
Elizabeth Kosorski
I liked it. It spoke to me. What else can I say. If I don't like a book I usually don't finish it, and thus don't feel justified in marking it "read".
Liz
Nov 08, 2007 Liz is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I know this is a good book because I can't stop thinking about it. Sometimes it's so good that I have to put it down because it's so thought provoking.
Patty
Jul 31, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the way he writes!! I also love that I now know I am not the only one who can experience a word from God through a movie illustration. Soo good!!! I highly recommend this.
Rebekah
Dec 15, 2009 Rebekah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, 2011
As this is a devotional I plan to use the review space to record how God used this book to speak to me. ie what I've learned.
Kim
Jun 10, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good perspective. Looking for opportunities or "windows" to see God in your day, in your years. Easy flow/appeal for the artistic.
Rebecca
Apr 15, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was the only book I willingly allowed in to a very bleak, dark time in life, and God used it to be gentle with me.
Stephy Jemmisparks
Jun 30, 2008 Stephy Jemmisparks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intellects
Recommended to Stephy by: Rev Maggie Low
This book is a little hard for me to engage in, and very wrestling... it is deep, profound and shouts right to the inner cores of our souls.
susannah
that God is everywhere if your eyes/ears are open to receiving from insight him.
David Campton
This is a book that I have had on my bookshelf for a long time, and despite it being repeatedly recommended by others, especially during a period of prolonged depression, I never got round to reading it. I'm so glad I now have and would recommend it to anyone. It has hints of Philip Yancey's style and spirituality about it, but rather than using the experiences of others, as is Yancey's journalistic approach, Gire uses his own life experiences as hooks to hang his thesis on. Coming from a thorou ...more
Kathy
Aug 14, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
This is a book about paying attention to the different ways God shows himself to man. The author uses his own life to illustrate these ways. He points out various times in his life when deeper truths have been revealed.
Rachel
Oct 04, 2011 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grad-school
schmaltzy, melodramatic, theologically inaccurate. if I could give this book negative stars, I would.
Jonasanddelice
Aug 21, 2013 Jonasanddelice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a revelation to me. A beautiful journey into understanding mystical moments everyone experiences and a profound insight into them. Wonderful. Great read for an artist...
Farzana Marie
Jan 02, 2014 Farzana Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Artful. Thought-provoking. One to return to again and again, dipping your spoon in anywhere for a taste.
Shana
May 01, 2011 Shana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Challenged me to put my experience with art and depression into a different perspective. Very freeing and healing insights.
Katie Casey
Katie Casey rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2009
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2010
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Carin Meerdink
Carin Meerdink rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Fred Pittman
Fred Pittman rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back: Persevering Through Pressure
  • Total Forgiveness: True Inner Peace Awaits You!
  • State of the Arts
  • Ancient-Future Time: Forming Spirituality Through the Christian Year
  • Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God
  • Surprised by the Voice of God: How God Speaks Today Through Prophecies, Dreams, and Visions
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2011: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • Christian Apologetics
  • Renovation of the Heart: Putting On the Character of Christ (Designed for Influence)
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Recovering the Human in an Ideological Age
  • The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare
Ken Gire is the author of more than 20 books, including "The Divine Embrace," "Windows of the Soul," "The Work of His Hands," the Moments with the Savior series, and the Reflective Life series. He has also co-authored "The Birthright" with John Sheasby. Two of his books have been awarded a Gold Medallion. A full-time writer and speaker, Ken is the founder of Reflective Living, a nonprofit ministry ...more
More about Ken Gire...

“Because what touches His heart is not how much we know, but how much we love. Not how pure we are, but how passionate. Maybe that is why, when Pharisees were fighting over theology, prostitutes were falling at the Savior’s feet and slipping into the kingdom of God on their tears.” 5 likes
“To respect something is to understand that there is something there to see, that it is not all surface, that something lies beneath the surface, something that has the power to change the way we think or feel, something that may prove so profound a revelation as to change not only how we look at our lives but how we live them.” 3 likes