Start by marking “Topics About Which I Know Nothing” as Want to Read:
Topics About Which I Know Nothing

Topics About Which I Know Nothing

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Scintillating, surprising, inventive fiction from one of the most talented young writers in Britain – this is a superb collection of new short stories from the acclaimed author of The Crash of Hennington.Have you heard the urban myth about Jesus's double-jointed elbows yet? 100% true. Or seen the latest reports on the 'groomgrabbing' trend – the benevolent kidnapping of ba ...more
Published July 29th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Topics About Which I Know Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Topics About Which I Know Nothing

Potassium
Continuing my trend of reading everything written by Patrick Ness, here is his collection of short stories.
It is always hard to rate a collection of short stories because unless you LOVE or HATE all of them... how do you rate a book where you loved some of the stories and felt a bit meh about the others?
So it gets a 4 because it is Patrick Ness and he is funny. No 5 this time though because of the meh stories... That is all.
It's still a fun collection of short stories though. He does a very go
Natalie
I have a confession.
I have a huge, almost unlady like crush on Patrick Ness.
Here's a picture of my room:
description

Just kidding. My husband probably wouldn't allow it.

However, I admire his writing so much that I would give a book full of absolute drivel two stars automatically. Not kidding.

I like to think that I am not easily offended by opinions. I will not maul anyone over their religious, political, sexual beliefs. If you know you are easily offended, please know that you most likely will be while rea
Lauren Kathryn
If you haven't guessed already, I love this man. He is an absolute genius.

Topics About Which I Know Nothing was just what I needed. It made me laugh, made me think and actually made me want to tell people about it, just so we could have a discussion about their understanding of the storylines.

Honestly, I just don't know how Ness does it. He continues to surprise me with every book, regardless of the fact that this was a collection of short stories and not a series. His outlook on the world is m
Read For RNIB
Super excited that the short story, "Now That You've Died", which Patrick wrote especially for Read for RNIB is contained in this new version of the book.

The story really does take readers on an exhilarating journey into the afterlife and is another fine example of Patrick’s finesse for storytelling which is both captivating yet challenging to the reader.

The story was originally performed as an exhilarating interactive theatrical experience, part of the Sense Story Series, in 2013, when RNIB bro
Maisie
Patrick Ness is an absolute genius! I am currently making my way through all of his books and I now only have The Crane Wife left to read. My favourite story in this was 2115 Opportunities as I thought it was so clever and amazingly written with such a cute end.
I have the newer edition so it also included Now That You've Died which was beautifully written it made me cry.
Patrick Ness is one of my favourite authors and he never fails to amaze me with his incredible writing.
Jeffrey
What an imaginative and compelling book of short stories! Ness has such an incredible range of styles and such a raw edge too though there is plenty of humour - lots of satire - which makes this an extremely satisfying book - so different from Crane Wife and more in sync with Crash and compared to his YA work - wow! Such a talent indeed!
ulli_z
Ten examples of absurd satire, some hilarious, some touching, some sickening - much as life is, actually...
Ashley
None of these stories was _amazing_, though I did like: "Implied Violence," "The Way All Trends Do," "Sydney is a City of Jaywalkers," and "The Gifted." It has a lot of darkness (understandable that Chaos Walking came from this mind), mixed with British sarcastic wit, which doesn't really do much for me.
Rose
This book is everything. All of it. I love it.
flajol
Some of these stories are really creepy (Implied Violence and The Gifted), some downright funny. I love The Way All Trends Do with its sly footnotes, and all the different voices in Jesus' Elbows and Other Christian Urban Myths. In fact, I think I may have met some of those people!

Mei
It's a little difficult to rate a book of short stories unless you're rating 'For Esme, with love and squalor'. I thought some of these were fairly good, and didn't much care for some of the others. It lacked some of the magic that I enjoy in his novels.
Paula
This is Patrick Ness of ‘The Knife of Never Letting Go’ and ‘The Ask and Answer’ fame second book, a collection of stories, which are very individual.

An interesting collection of stories, an insight into how great a writer Patrick Ness is.
Biro Tomodachi
An interesting collection of short stories. feel like the young author is experimenting with the form and conventions which results in a varied collection. A useful tool for students to see an author playing with style and convention.
Garry
I loved the Monster calls but I have to say I have been disappointed since my first encounter with this author. I give this book two stars and that is one more than I should do. Apart from the last tale all the stories I have forgot.
This is my favorite of Patrick Ness' adult writing. I enjoyed each and every story. They're often slightly creepy and rather funny, which has put the idea in my head that I'd love for Patrick to write an episode of Welcome to Night Vale.
Book Bazaar
I love Patrick Ness! I usually give his novels a 5, but I didn't enjoy all of the stories in here, although admittedly short stories really aren't my genre of choice. But still, it's Patrick Ness, so definitely worth reading :)
Sonja
I absolutely love Ness' books. Adore them. I love his short stories, they're all brilliant and very different from other short stories I've read so far. And don't get me started on his writing. Pure brilliance.
Mike Ward
whimsical, strange and very dark - but really good

Clra
first 2 stories were interesting/amusing, but couldn't find the heart to make it thru the rest.
Becky Black
Interesting mixed bag of stories, from funny to strange to downright disturbing.
Lamilla
Mar 21, 2013 Lamilla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, starting with middle grade
Shelves: sci-fi
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Lily Madar
Lily Madar is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Joost
Joost marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
  • Letters to Friends, Family and Editors
  • Night Falls on the City
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixth Annual Collection
  • Coffee: 14 Caffeinated Tales of the Fantastic
  • Best New Horror 19 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #19)
  • Dead Americans and Other Stories
  • Country of Origin
  • The Mammoth Book of Body Horror
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) A Monster Calls The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) More Than This