Start by marking “Ancient Awakening” as Want to Read:
Ancient Awakening

Ancient Awakening (The Ancient #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Hell comes home to Jersey.
Seven ancient demons known as the Fallen have awakened in New Jersey after a hundred years. Fortunately for Mike and Ann, so has the one man who can stop them, Joseph Miller. Trapped in a hospital filled with mythical monsters, only together can they unravel the mystery of the Cursed and escape with not only their lives but their very humanity.

Anc
ebook, Smashwords Edition, 232 pages
Published March 30th 2010 by Smashwords (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Awakening

Kathryn
I had a difficult time starting this. I did not like Ann, Miller seemed to have a rough potential, and I instantly liked Mike but the story felt hollow. By the final third, the story came together, each of the main characters possessing enough depth to interest me, and I had less issues with the humor.

As a fast paced monster book, this was excellent. There were a variety of beasties running around and the action was plentiful. I wish the first half of the book had had the cohesion and tightness
Georgiann Hennelly
I really enjoyed the book. It has a little bit of everything - demons, werewolves, a vamp or two and even a klate appearance of zombies. The author describes the story as horror/ action/comedy. The story is about seven ancient demons coming back to earth after 100 years after their enemy The Ancient has killed them. The Ancient is a demon slayer, immortal man currently known as Joseph Miller, who has come back through the many demonic cycles. After an initial flashback to 1908 the story takes us ...more
Tracy Dobbs
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was an Amazon "recommended for you" list item - it sounded interesting and it was cheap. I really liked the story. It is a perfect Halloween read - demons and werewolves, a vamp or two, and even a late appearance of zombies. (Although the monsters aren't the typical movie offerings of their type.) The author describes his story as horror/action/comedy...I'm not sure I saw much that I would call comedy, but it is action-packed and, well, horror can be a ...more
Dirceu
Its a great humor/horror/action novel.....keep you nailed to it from the begining to the end....the story is very well written and you can relate to the main characters, even cheer for them...that Joseph Miller guy (or The Ancient One) is awesome, can you imagine a middle 20s years old latino guy with ancient soul and irish accent?
Man, i got lucky in my last two books...this one and The Heretic from Joseph Nassise....if you do not read any of the two....what are you waiting for?????
Pam Thomas
Now I don't usually read Horror/Action/Fiction stories but there is definitely something different about this one.

Caught in a time warp of mythical creatures, werewolves and other unspoken demons Joseph Miller has to once again save the human race from extinction.

Captivating, spine chilling, man kinds protector of a thousand years keeps the read on the edge of their seat whilst at the same time you want to read the whole book until the end for the final conclusion.

No doubt a story with twists an
Andreja Wilson
This book just took me where I never thought I'd go. For a little bit you assume this story is gonna go down like all the others like it. Then you take a sharp left, and the a right, then fly off of a cliff. Then you get slapped in the face with classic scenarios with a modern twist and a dash of humour. It played out like how something like this would happen in real life.

I found myself going, "Naw, it ain't gonna happen." Five minutes later, after I've been convinced that it wouldn't, "No... n
Doreen Dalesandro
$0.99 Kindle book. It is a fun read. Well, hell, here's what Amazon has to say about it:

...

Ancient Awakening is a Horror/Action novel with just the right
Scott Whitney
Great action and it was free from Amizon. What could be better. I will have to try and find a good way to get my hands on the next two, but they are usually not too expensive for a Kindle edition of the book.
Andre Higgins
There is one big problem with this book..... it is way too short!
I absolutely loved it.
Great characters and I want to read more stories with them.
I'm off to book two, Ancient Ennemies, right now.
Chinpearl
Horror/Action - Something I usually don't read, but this was interesting. I bought book 2. ;o)
John
Quick and entertaining read. Definitely plan to read the follow-up book, Ancient Enemies.
Michael
A fun read. It reminds me of Howard's early works.
Amylynne
Loved it! Can't wait for more!
Tom
An easy horror read with a new take on the vampire and werewolf origin story. While demons slowly possess people in a hospital, our PhD student heroine Ann is trying to track down her on-again off-again Dr boyfriend with no luck, while there she meets off-duty traffic cop Matt. Also arriving at the same time is Joseph Miller, a supernaturally powered man, with a very cheery personality, who is reborn each time demons start getting out of hand on earth. Together they try to figure what the hell i ...more
Jennifer Rainey
3 1/2 Stars.

As if hospitals weren’t scary enough, Matthew Bryan Laube takes it to the next level in Ancient Awakening. This hospital has been taken over by werewolves and vampires and even the scaliest, nastiest demons I’ve ever seen.

The book follows everyman cop Mike Samson and Ann Melakh, an unstable bio student, as they traverse the hospital and fight these monsters alongside Joseph Miller. Miller has a bit of an advantage, of course. He kills these things for a living.

Ancient Awakening is re
A Book Vacation

This novel has a little bit of everything, and I think that many readers, across all spectrums, will really enjoy it. There are werewolves, vampires, zombies… but these are not the traditional type we’re used to. Instead, Laube has taken these entities and created a much fiercer, scarier group of monsters, and I loved the explanations and details provided as the monsters multiplied within the novel.

I enjoyed the plot of the story, though at times I did feel like I was missing some infor
Angela
We have two seemingly average people—Ann, who is obsessed with finding out why her boyfriend dumped her (again), and Mike, a police officer and single dad. But both of them encounter bizarre things one day, like monsters and werewolves. Thinking no one will believe them they try to ignore it, but then they find each other.

There's some decidedly creepy stuff here, and the oddities seem to be coming from the hospital. As luck may have it an immortal demon hunter, Joseph Miller, is recuperating in
Schwana
It took me all of 3-4 minutes to get into the book once I got home from work, greated my family, and the dogs; but once I got my hands on the book ... I really liked it from the start! I knew that I would when I read the blurb about it in the givaway section. The way the type is in the book is really interesting, that took me a bit to get used to, but once I did I just dug right in and could not put the book down. I want more and I have to finish it to find out what happens. More to come after I ...more
Jaime
I received an electronic copy of this book from the author. I had won the second book in a Goodreads giveway, and he had offered to email the first book to get me started.

I have to agree with a couple of the other people who have reviewed this book. It was slow to start, which almost had me putting it down. Then all the sudden, BAM! The story took off with non-stop action.

I enjoyed the new take on what the author believes a werewolf, vampire and demon to be. It was refreshing to see something ne
Olethros
-Acción y fantasía urbana convencionales pero con algún momento destacable.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. En Francia, a comienzos del siglo XX, Joseph Miller y su grupo paramilitar de voluntarios se enfrentan a unas criaturas legendarias. Cien años después y en New Jersey, Miller vuelve a la vida para encontrarse con un mundo muy diferente al que recordaba pero en el que las amenazas que tan bien conoce siguen siendo tan reales como antes. Primer libro de la serie The Ancient
Fred
This wasn't a baaaaaaad book. I don't know if I would call it fantastic thought either. It worked. It kept my attention and I made it through although I kept thinking that this is probably the next series that will get picked up by the WB for something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Charmed. That being said, it got me thinking about different genres that I could play with as a writer, or mixing genres I should say. I've been so focused on traditional fantasy and traditional scifi lately in my ...more
Laura Kivi
This book is full of non stop action....it's a good book I just wasn't pulled into it the way I like to be with books.
Erin
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Overall, it wasn't too bad. When Ann decides to barge in on her on-again, off-again boyfriend at work and give him hell for not calling her, she finds herself trapped in the hospital with all sorts of nasty demons. Throw in a traffic-cop and an old (and by that I mean ancient) demon hunter, and you've got yourself a bloody mess.

I had a hard time getting into this book because I found Ann to be so irritating, but Joseph Miller added some comed
Brandi Smith
I really liked the pace of this book once you got past the first few pages. However, I do not like this new trend of just bluntly ending a story. There was no winding down, no closure... just done. I know that it is to get you interested in the next book, but you should want to get the new book from your love of the style of the prior reads from the author. This author sold me on the next book; I just hope that he doesn't cut off the end of it.
Sam Oliveras
I normally don't read books like this, but I was pleasantly surprised with it.
The way action is described is perfect and very realistic (especially when Mike gets on the motorcycle).

I also met the author at comic con and joked around that Jersey is already Hell. Haha, he was a really cool guy. Can't wait for the next one! =]
Brenda Seaberg
For me, this started out a little slow for just a few pages. I even considered putting it down, since it didn't seem to be something I'd enjoy. Boy, am I glad I kept reading. It sped up quickly, and just kept going.

Something is changing things in the hospital. People are disappearing, and those that are around are changing. What's going on?

You need to read this fast-paced book to find out for yourselves!
Julie Davis
I found this while hunting around the Kindle store for current but inexpensive books. The Cursed are rising again for their cycle of bothering mankind and the Ancient, therefore, awakening in turn to act as mankind's champion. A few modern folk are involved in the fight to save everyone as circumstances pull them into the situation. A fast but fun read.
liirogue
I'm surprised by all of the favorable reviews - I found the book boring and almost tedious at times. The characters are unlikeable and flat. The writing is horrible - I wouldn't be surprised if it was written by someone in high school. There's just no depth to anything - the characters, the plot, the setting.
Tbloxham
Pretty good, a high 3 here, I liked the characters but it did feel a bit rushed and some of the story elements skipped around much too fast. There were also a lot of really unneeded 'nerd' references which will serve to date the book pretty badly. Still, there's fun to be had here.
Seth
While the first half was a little slow and disjointed, the second brought it all together and made me immediately buy the sequel. I like the characters but hope they get fleshed out in the sequel.

Really folks, for $0.99 cents and a few hours of your time, you can't go wrong!
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • Vampires in Devil Town (Vampires in Devil Town, #1)
  • The Silver Ring
  • What the Dead Fear
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Reining In (The Network, #1)
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Dark Legacy
  • Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal, #1)
  • Asylum Lake
  • Zombie Nights
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 305
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts

The Ancient (3 books)
  • Ancient Revelations (The Ancient, #3)
  • Ancient Enemies