The Rainbabies

The Rainbabies

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  60 reviews
On a moonlit night. . . In the magic of a moonshower, a childless couple finds a dozen tiny babies in a meadow. Written in classic folktale tradition, illustrated with astonishing paintings, The Rainbabies is woven from magic and moonbeams.
Published March 16th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbabies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainbabies

The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonSong for Papa Crow by Marit Menzin
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
29th out of 930 books — 796 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
93rd out of 1,169 books — 900 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica!
Friends, if you’re looking for a way to explain to your impressionable young children Where Babies Come From (or How To Not Put Your Babies In Dangerous Scenarios) this is not the book for you.

It starts out with an Old Man and an Old Woman pining away for children. The wife in particular looks like she’s about forty, but I suppose for the story’s intended target audience, forty is the same as a hundred. Anyway, they head outside in the light of the full moon, and voila! Teeny tiny babies, scatt...more
Cally Turner
This book was very sweet and I loved it! The illustrations are all phenomenal and the little babies are so cute. This is a good longer storybook that I would read to my class. It is a very interesting and different plot but good for kids' imaginations. It has a very happy ending with the old couple getting a baby and her growing up. This story was sad at times but it kept me very engaged. I chose this book as my read aloud because I remember reading it when I was younger and loved it and thought...more
Carly
The Rainbabies is about an old man and woman who have always longed for a child but have never had one. One rainy moonlit night, the old couple goes outside because they've heard that the "moonshower" will bring good fortune when it touches you. While walking back inside, she notices something shiny in the grass and when she takes a closer look she realizes the shine is coming from a dozen drops of water each holding a tiny baby. The couple brings the tiny children inside where they care for the...more
Candace
I was given this book by my mom and dad when I was about 10 years old. I'm the middle child in my family and I guess I was at that stage when I didn't feel like I fit in anywhere and this book was something my mom gave me so I would understand that I was just as important (and loved) as my siblings.

I still have this book on a shelf in my apartment and like taking it out and reading it from time to time. It's a very sweet story.
Literacy Group
A childless couple who longs to have their own child, finds themselves to be the new parents of rainbabies that were brought by a sudden moonshower one night. After caring for the rainbabies through the powers of water, fire and earth, they are asked by Mother Moonshower to give the rainbabies back. In exchange, she grants them their very own child, who they name Rayna.

Grade 3-5
Amy
What a lovely story with beautiful illustrations. The kids and I really enjoyed reading this together, as recommended by Kelle Hampton via Instagram. I have to admit I teared up a bit. If only every baby were as wanted and loved. I think we'll buy this book for our family book collection.
Selina
A beautiful book which also remains one of my favourites from my childhood. Unbelievable illustrations, great characters, and a heart warming story. Of course I agree with other reviews that as a tool for teaching children where children come from, this is not the book you want. But as a child, I never remember mis-believing that tiny babies came into the world falling from the sky. I think the real attraction of the book is the aura as a whole. It's warm and refreshing in a way that I have not...more
Milanie Howard
Ashley
I read this book because it was one of my favorite books growing up. It really enjoy the illustrations because they compliment the story well. I would recommend it for any elementary grade, but I am not sure of the use in the classroom. I feel like it would work well for parent and their kids to share because it is ultimately about the love parents have for their kids..
Kristin Campbell
Picture Storybook
The Rainbabies by Laura Melmed is a very loving book about an old couple who could not have children and was blessed by finding twleve rainbabies after a rainshower. The coupled takes the babies and cares for them as their own children. The go on many adventures together and mother nature tries to take the babies away from them, by water, fire and animals. The couple loves their rainbabies so much that each time, the couple saves them. Then Mother Moonshower comes to take the ra...more
Chagall
Il finale della storia mi è parso inconcludente, ma che illustrazioni! Jim LaMarche è semplicemente un grande. Le espressioni dei volti, la luce, i colori… È tutto così stupendo che non si sa da che parte voltarsi. Consigliato a tutti i collezionisti di albi illustrati.
Meg
May 04, 2014 Meg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014, faerie
A beautifully illustrated, lovely children's tale. It reminded me somewhat of the Snowchild, but went even further! Splendid writing and great narrative flow. I definitely want a copy for my own collection.
Bunnyjadwiga
I've always loved this newly created fairytale in the 'magic child' tradition; the text is classical and sweet and the illustrations are enchanting. I didn't expect my four-year-old son to be very enthused about it, but he brought it to me to read, so we plowed through it. I was surprised when, at the end, he said, "Again! Again!" and would not be dissuaded from a repeat, even though it meant giving up one of his other bedtime stories. The pacing is good-- there really isn't time for the child-r...more
The illustrations in this book are amazing! This is the story of a childless couple who find these tiny little babies and they take care of them and are rewarded later. I would read this to first grade and above as it is a little scary. Not in the printed text but in the illustrations. They are so life like that you can become lost and really begin to believe that it is true. It is a great example of fantasy.
Megan D. Neal
An older childless couple still longs for a baby, and one moonlit night after the rain, they discover a dozen tiny babies. After risking their own lives to keep the babies safe during one disaster after another, the babies' mother Moonshower comes to take them back, and the older couple is rewarded with a baby of their own.

My girls and I loved this book; it's a sweet story. And the illustrations are so amazing!
Marjorie Brewer
The drawings in this book are so stunning and the plot line is oddly beautiful. This is a good book to definitely have in the classroom but maybe not one to read aloud and discuss with the class.
Therese
A childless couple find ten tiny magical babies and prove their love for them as they rescue them from many dangers. I really liked the illustrations and story, but it seemed a bit too advanced for my 4-year-old to get into. I was surprised because I thought it would grab her more. Maybe in another year she'll be able to appreciate the beauty of it a little more.
Marci
From the inside flap: 'Written in classic folktale tradition, this beautiful story is woven from magic and moonbeams." I couldn't agree more. I highly recommend this beautiful, tender book about a childless couple who find rainbabies to care for and end up with more adventure and magic than expected.
Carla
A cute story of a couple who could not have children of their own. One day it rained and they discovered 12 rainbabies. The artwork was adorable. It is a storyline I have read before about this couple being tested to see if they could be good parents and then being rewarded at the end.
Tiffany
I read this book when I was about 6 or 7. I absolutely loved it and chose to do my first book report/oral presentation on it. I have five year old twins now and would love to read this to them. I've looked in many book stores but haven't found it, hopefully I will soon.
Kevin
I loved the story.
Denise
One of my favorite books as a kid. The illustrations are fantastic! I would love to snag a hard back copy of this but I'm glad to still have a copy regardless. This would be a great story for parents and children who have gone through alternative ways of having child.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
My kids were really into this story while I was reading it to them. They became nervous when the rainbabies were in danger, and sighed in relief when the rainbabies were safe again. The illustrations are beautiful! I have a feeling I'll be reading this book a lot!
Marcia
Apr 19, 2009 Marcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I needed a "long" picture book to hold the kindergarteners attention on the afternoon before vacation, and this fit the bill perfectly. Beautifully illustrated and loving tale of a a childless couple bestowed with rain babies one moonstruck evening. A favorite.
Alyce Dougan
I read this book when I was a child and decided to revisit it today. I think is a creative and magical story that children will love. The pictures in the book look very real and the story is well written. This would be a good story to make into a movie!
Cheyanne Benson
This is such a wonderful, cute, and magical story that tells of a couples wish come true of having children to raise and take care of, which ends up being quite a job. I love the illustrations, it is such a fun book.
Magda
Kind of cute, but weird. Teddy really liked matching the pictures on the cover with the pictures inside the book, and asked me to read this to him. I don't think we made it to the end, but he enjoyed it several times.
Kirei
Aug 23, 2008 Kirei rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kindergarteners/early elementary
Shelves: younger-kids
And childless old couple find rainbabies, are thrilled and take good care of them. At the end Mother Moonshower comes to take back her rainbabies, but rewards them with a real baby of their own. Awwwwww.
Ilana Waters
One of those truly "magical" books, I still cry every time I read this (yes, I'll admit it)! Beautifully illustrated and bittersweet, it is an inspiring tale of unconditional (moonbaby) love.
Flower
Mar 16, 2008 Flower rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Flower by: unknown
This book is fantastic! I used to make my mom read it to me every night when I was younger. I reccomend it to everyone, even though it's a kid book, I think it's worth it for all ages.
  • The Tub People
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • All in a Day
  • Babushka's Doll
I Love You As Much... This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story Little Oh Fright Night Flight Hurry Hurry Have You Heard