Start by marking “The Rainbabies” as Want to Read:
The Rainbabies

The Rainbabies

On a moonlit night. . . In the magic of a moonshower, a childless couple finds a dozen tiny babies in a meadow. Written in classic folktale tradition, illustrated with astonishing paintings, The Rainbabies is woven from magic and moonbeams.
Published March 16th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbabies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainbabies

Cally Turner
Sep 20, 2012 Cally Turner rated it it was amazing
This book was very sweet and I loved it! The illustrations are all phenomenal and the little babies are so cute. This is a good longer storybook that I would read to my class. It is a very interesting and different plot but good for kids' imaginations. It has a very happy ending with the old couple getting a baby and her growing up. This story was sad at times but it kept me very engaged. I chose this book as my read aloud because I remember reading it when I was younger and loved it and thought ...more
Carly
Nov 17, 2012 Carly rated it really liked it
The Rainbabies is about an old man and woman who have always longed for a child but have never had one. One rainy moonlit night, the old couple goes outside because they've heard that the "moonshower" will bring good fortune when it touches you. While walking back inside, she notices something shiny in the grass and when she takes a closer look she realizes the shine is coming from a dozen drops of water each holding a tiny baby. The couple brings the tiny children inside where they care for the ...more
Linda Lipko
Immediately after reading this, I went back and read it again, savoring the wonderful images. LaMarche is one of my favorite illustrators. Every work he does is breathtaking, but in particular, The Rainbabies resonated with me.

This is indeed a fairy tale with a happy ending. Though there is joy, followed by impending doom and peril, all is right in the end. There is no evilness; there is only elation, love and sheer joy.

I tremendously admire the art of LaMarche. His images, particularly in this
Candace
Apr 07, 2010 Candace rated it really liked it
I was given this book by my mom and dad when I was about 10 years old. I'm the middle child in my family and I guess I was at that stage when I didn't feel like I fit in anywhere and this book was something my mom gave me so I would understand that I was just as important (and loved) as my siblings.

I still have this book on a shelf in my apartment and like taking it out and reading it from time to time. It's a very sweet story.
Literacy Group
Oct 25, 2013 Literacy Group rated it really liked it
A childless couple who longs to have their own child, finds themselves to be the new parents of rainbabies that were brought by a sudden moonshower one night. After caring for the rainbabies through the powers of water, fire and earth, they are asked by Mother Moonshower to give the rainbabies back. In exchange, she grants them their very own child, who they name Rayna.

Grade 3-5
Amy
Oct 11, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story with beautiful illustrations. The kids and I really enjoyed reading this together, as recommended by Kelle Hampton via Instagram. I have to admit I teared up a bit. If only every baby were as wanted and loved. I think we'll buy this book for our family book collection.
Cara Byrne
Jul 26, 2016 Cara Byrne rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite. Nostalgia takes over my rating for this quirky, sci-fi read about an elderly couple and the babies they found.
Me
Sep 29, 2016 Me rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different sort of fairy tale. The illustrations are beautiful and the plot emphasizes love.
Abby
Dec 05, 2016 Abby rated it really liked it
This book is about a couple who cannot have kids. One night after a full moon, 12 tiny babies are presented to them by the moon. The couple cares for the babies most tenderly. What happens when Mother Moonshower needs her babies back? The genre of this book is traditional literature. The themes of this book are family life, parents, and magic and the supernatural. This book is best suited for students in grades in pre-school through third grades. I gave this book four stars because it is a cute ...more
Kristin Campbell
Oct 03, 2011 Kristin Campbell rated it liked it
Picture Storybook
The Rainbabies by Laura Melmed is a very loving book about an old couple who could not have children and was blessed by finding twleve rainbabies after a rainshower. The coupled takes the babies and cares for them as their own children. The go on many adventures together and mother nature tries to take the babies away from them, by water, fire and animals. The couple loves their rainbabies so much that each time, the couple saves them. Then Mother Moonshower comes to take the ra
Denis Verdecia
Nov 02, 2015 Denis Verdecia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story of an old couple wishing for a child. They were given a gift of a dozen tiny rainbabies. What they thought was a blessing was actually a test given to them by mother moon. It was a test to see what kind of parents these two would actually become. Mother moon also threw at them a few challenges that the old couple dealt with admirably. In the end, mother moon took back her rainbaby and blessed the old couple with a baby daughter.

This book is beautifully illustrated . The pri
Selina
May 29, 2014 Selina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, for-fun
A beautiful book which also remains one of my favourites from my childhood. Unbelievable illustrations, great characters, and a heart warming story. Of course I agree with other reviews that as a tool for teaching children where children come from, this is not the book you want. But as a child, I never remember mis-believing that tiny babies came into the world falling from the sky. I think the real attraction of the book is the aura as a whole. It's warm and refreshing in a way that I have not ...more
Jennifer Heise
May 22, 2013 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman, fairytales
I've always loved this newly created fairytale in the 'magic child' tradition; the text is classical and sweet and the illustrations are enchanting. I didn't expect my four-year-old son to be very enthused about it, but he brought it to me to read, so we plowed through it. I was surprised when, at the end, he said, "Again! Again!" and would not be dissuaded from a repeat, even though it meant giving up one of his other bedtime stories. The pacing is good-- there really isn't time for the child-r ...more
Meg McGregor
Oct 16, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
One of the most beautiful and soothing books I have ever read. This one is a classic and deserves to be called that!

Whether you read it years ago, have just discovered it, or are reading it for the umpteenth time (like me) this story stands up to repeated readings.

The love shown by the parents for their rainbabies and for each other is the type of love I would have liked in my lifetime.

The pictures are lovingly drawn and you can lost in staring at them. You will notice something new every time y
Milanie Howard
May 04, 2014 Milanie Howard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: look-at-books
Nov 10, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are amazing! This is the story of a childless couple who find these tiny little babies and they take care of them and are rewarded later. I would read this to first grade and above as it is a little scary. Not in the printed text but in the illustrations. They are so life like that you can become lost and really begin to believe that it is true. It is a great example of fantasy.
Maryjane Guerrero
Jun 02, 2016 Maryjane Guerrero rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book that tells about an old couple who wanted children, but could not have them. Then one day they are miraculously gifted with 12 little babies.
It is an adventure trying to take care of their babies and overcoming the dangerous obstacles that they encounter.
However, when compared to the telling of their adventures, the transition is very abrupt....and leaves the reader wondering....where in the world did she get that baby from??
Inhabiting Books
An older childless couple still longs for a baby, and one moonlit night after the rain, they discover a dozen tiny babies. After risking their own lives to keep the babies safe during one disaster after another, the babies' mother Moonshower comes to take them back, and the older couple is rewarded with a baby of their own.

My girls and I loved this book; it's a sweet story. And the illustrations are so amazing!
Melody
Oct 06, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
Re-read, going through my bookshelves deciding which books come to the new house, and which books stay behind. This book comes along. I read it and re-read it through the long years when I was trying and trying to get pregnant. I haven't looked at it since, I don't think, and my son is 21 now. Reading it from such a remove was interesting. I love the illustrations, I love the fairy-tale feel, and the ending still makes tears come to my eyes.
Marci
Feb 05, 2008 Marci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the inside flap: 'Written in classic folktale tradition, this beautiful story is woven from magic and moonbeams." I couldn't agree more. I highly recommend this beautiful, tender book about a childless couple who find rainbabies to care for and end up with more adventure and magic than expected.
Therese
May 15, 2012 Therese rated it liked it
A childless couple find ten tiny magical babies and prove their love for them as they rescue them from many dangers. I really liked the illustrations and story, but it seemed a bit too advanced for my 4-year-old to get into. I was surprised because I thought it would grab her more. Maybe in another year she'll be able to appreciate the beauty of it a little more.
Ashley
Feb 26, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
I read this book because it was one of my favorite books growing up. It really enjoy the illustrations because they compliment the story well. I would recommend it for any elementary grade, but I am not sure of the use in the classroom. I feel like it would work well for parent and their kids to share because it is ultimately about the love parents have for their kids..
Magda
Kind of cute, but weird. Teddy really liked matching the pictures on the cover with the pictures inside the book, and asked me to read this to him. I don't think we made it to the end, but he enjoyed it several times.
ABC
Aug 23, 2008 ABC rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: kindergarteners/early elementary
Shelves: younger-kids
And childless old couple find rainbabies, are thrilled and take good care of them. At the end Mother Moonshower comes to take back her rainbabies, but rewards them with a real baby of their own. Awwwwww.
Marcia
Apr 19, 2009 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I needed a "long" picture book to hold the kindergarteners attention on the afternoon before vacation, and this fit the bill perfectly. Beautifully illustrated and loving tale of a a childless couple bestowed with rain babies one moonstruck evening. A favorite.
Kathryn Brewer
Aug 26, 2014 Kathryn Brewer rated it really liked it
This story has wonderful illustrations and has a unique story about how a couple longs for child. It has some sad parts, but overall is a beautiful story with a happy ending. I would read this book aloud to my classroom because the children can look at the great illustrations while I read.
Cheyanne Benson
Apr 09, 2011 Cheyanne Benson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wonderful, cute, and magical story that tells of a couples wish come true of having children to raise and take care of, which ends up being quite a job. I love the illustrations, it is such a fun book.
Denise
Feb 02, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a kid. The illustrations are fantastic! I would love to snag a hard back copy of this but I'm glad to still have a copy regardless. This would be a great story for parents and children who have gone through alternative ways of having child.
Carla
Jul 30, 2009 Carla rated it liked it
A cute story of a couple who could not have children of their own. One day it rained and they discovered 12 rainbabies. The artwork was adorable. It is a storyline I have read before about this couple being tested to see if they could be good parents and then being rewarded at the end.
Tiffany
Jun 15, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was about 6 or 7. I absolutely loved it and chose to do my first book report/oral presentation on it. I have five year old twins now and would love to read this to them. I've looked in many book stores but haven't found it, hopefully I will soon.
  • Dinosaur Time