Start by marking “Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish” as Want to Read:
Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish

Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  31 reviews

Many language books are boringthis one is not. Written by a native English speaker who learned Spanish the hard wayby trying to talk to Spanish-speaking peopleit offers English speakers with a basic knowledge of Spanish hundreds of tips for using the language more fluently and colloquially, with fewer obvious "gringo" errors.

Writing with humor, common sense, and a minim

Published (first published November 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish

Amy
This is the Spanish book I've been looking for! The author teaches how to sound like a native speaker rather than a "schoolmarm" and helps select the words and phrases that are actually used in Latin America and Spain, rather than some of the archaic constructions taught in textbooks. He's funny and engaging, and he learned Spanish as an English speaker, so he sympathizes with some of the hurdles the rest of us must leap to become fluent.

For example, one phrase generally recommended in textbook
Jenna Garrett
I can't recommend this book highly enough for native English speakers blumbering their way into the Spanish language. I've revisited this book almost annually for the last few years, and I always learn something new.

Written by another native English speaker who blumbered his way into Spanish, it is a highly readable, interesting, and even entertaining presentation of the most common gringo mistakes. He does an excellent job of describing regional differences in language use (super helpful for t
Steve Bradshaw
A highly enjoyable book to help you improve your Spanish and sound less like a Gringo! I plan to re-read this every six months while I'm in Mexico...
Lauren
Jun 22, 2009 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lauren by: Lisa
If only I could retain it all. An entertaining, educational, and very practical book, I'm sure I'll pick it up again and again.
Blythe
This is best book for learning spanish and not sounding like a total gringo tool. Ever.

Bria
It took me a little over 2 months to get through this book. The reason is two-fold: 1) it reads slightly more interestingly than a text book and 2) there's so much information on every page, that I could only digest a few pages at a time. And by digest, I mean begin to soak up any of it. In my first reading of this, I can honestly say I've probably taken very little of the instruction to heart. This book is SO full of insight it's bursting. I started off trying to take notes and make an example ...more
Tim
Simply terrific. Like the title says, this book is full of highly practical advice for moving beyond your formal Spanish education and actually talking like a real Spanish speaker. Written by an American who learned Spanish as an adult, this book is perfect for anyone who has reached an intermediate to advanced level and can basically already "say" what they want to say. The great thing is that this book will help you say it better without the awkward literalism that usually hampers intermediate ...more
J.
May 13, 2011 J. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intermediate-level Spanish learners
This is a fantastic resource for anyone who wants to beef up their Spanish speaking abilities. The author picks apart the problems most Anglophones run into when they're navigating the complexities of Spanish grammar: false friends, idiomatic usages of verbs, ways of expressing emotion and describing people.

The book is super-intuitive and clearly divided into sections, perfect for referencing a particular problem spot in your Spanish knowledge. Honestly, if you're in need of an intermediate Span
Russell
The author is a non-native Spanish speaker who is also not an academic. This perspective allows the author to point out things that befuddle English speakers about the language.

He has a lot of good advice on what to ignore and what to focus on. The most valuable item in the book is his list of spanish verbs and what they really mean (Spanish is a much more specific language than english so one word for one word translations don't usually work).

The book is worth the hour or two it takes to go th
Natalie
Although it was interesting, and I really enjoyed much of the linguistics information, it just wasn't what I was looking for. Most importantly I really thought it was more of breaking out of Intermediate Spanish. This was really about not sounding like Spanish was your second language. But I'm not there yet. So I found the book title to be deceiving. I'm not beginner's spanish, but not quite intermediate. I was hoping the book could help. It could not.
Melinda
Sep 22, 2007 Melinda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Spanish
"Beginner's Spanish" is not Spanish 1 or 2, according to the author, but really any level you can reach at school. The author, who has lived in Latin America and is constantly trying to reach the level of a native speaker, is an excellent Spanish teacher because he not only knows Spanish but he also understand how English-speakers think. This book is an excellent reference guide for all the aspects of Spanish that might challenge an English-speaker.
Angie
An excellent, must-read book for all English speakers who are learning Spanish.

The writing is concise, informative, and fun. Every chapter--from manners and greetings, to explanations of the 'power verbs', to swear words (and why you shouldn't use them), to a brief history of the Spanish language--is useful and packed with information. There's so much to absorb, it's a book I plan to continue to refer to as my Spanish progresses.

Margaret Nahmias
I agree with most of the reviews here. However, I was ver disapponted with the coverage of the subjunctive. It is topic that stumps a lot of English speakers and it dersevred a little bit more detail. This meant to be read repeatedly as there is too much stuff to take in at once. Also it show its age as many of the anglicisms he mentions as questionable are now in full use if not approved by The Royal Spanish Academy.
Nigel
This is a great book that I am nowhere near finished reading. It clears up a lot of confusion about certain words in Spanish vs English, and is a pretty amusing book at times. The author is hilarious and the fact that he wasn't a native speaker of the language but has attained a level of fluency is reason enough to add this book to your Spanish learning quest.

Nigel Nicholas
Cherie
A This book is fantastic for any non-native-Spanish-speaker who wants to learn what they can do to sound less foreign, to sound more like a native Spanish speaker. It gives you all sorts of tips, teaches you slang, helps clear up some common misconceptions, and even teaches you how to insult someone!
Matthew
This book is top of its class - not for the beginner, or maybe even intermediate student, but excellent for someone who has mastered, for example, the Spanish tenses. Some of the material is specific to Mexico, but the great majority of it is applicable across the Spansih speaking Americas and Spain.
ColleenPA
Great book for anticipating all the stupid mistakes you'll make the first time you go off the beaten path with your Spanish skills. You may not remember it all, but you'll chuckle when you get back about all the dumb things you said :-)
Ellen Snyder
I keep going back to this book, as it covers a lot of material. It is one of the best written books I have ever read, espeically about language. I would recommend it to anyone in the intermediate level of Spanish.
Lydia
The author is very straightforward and funny. He gives lots of useful advice on how to really survive in Spanish-speaking countries. There's even a chapter on curse words! (I never knew that word meant pubic hair!)
Jaime
Mar 04, 2008 Jaime rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaime by: Dr. Steve Bell
i've gone through at least 4 copies of this book, because i end up giving it away. es el libro perfecto for anyone who feels frustrated with where they are at in learning el español.
Janet
Technically, I havent read this book cover to cover yet. Its more of a reference. But its a great book for people who want to learn Spanish or who already know a lot of Spanish. ...more
John
It really is as advertised, though I've yet to make a "breakthrough" myself. The book is readable and is chock full of lots of what appear to be great tips. Recommended.
Philuptuous
Began studying a chapter at lunch each day, after completing Pimsleur audio lessons. This is a good book for building onto your basic foundation of Spanish knowledge.
Dayelle
When it comes to books for school- this is a pretty great one. It teaches some pretty useful spanish lessons. I only wish most of it wasn't in english.
Dave Peticolas
A very useful book. I wasn't ready for everything it presents, but it is a valuable reference I will be going back to as I progress.
Laura  Yan
The most entertaining language learning book I've ever read, and full of marvelously useful tips.
Claire
This is one of those I'm-Never-Going-To-Finish/Keep-Reading-And-Re-Reading-Forever kind of books.
Adam Jones
It answers everything you've been wanting to know about spanish... & then some!
Tim Palmer
I am marking this read, but it continues to be a reference book.
Rachel
super helpful, and surprisingly easy read for a language textbook
  • Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses
  • Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish Grammar
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • How To Learn Any Language: Quickly, Easily, Inexpensively, Enjoyably and on Your Own
  • 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words
  • The Mexico Reader: History, Culture, Politics
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • The Joy of Teaching: A Practical Guide for New College Instructors
  • Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros
  • Colors & Numbers
  • McKeachie's Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for College and University Teachers
  • First Spanish Reader: A Beginner's Dual-Language Book
  • Word On The Street: Debunking The Myth Of A Pure Standard English
  • NYC Ballet Workout
  • 365 Goddess: A Daily Guide to the Magic and Inspiration of the Goddess
  • Biting the Wax Tadpole: Confessions of a Language Fanatic
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • How to Interpret Literature: Critical Theory for Literary and Cultural Studies